09. If A Mountain Could Talk
10. The Sage, The Fool, The Sinner
11. My Sacrifice
12. Not Yet Today
13. Far In The Future
14. I'm Free [deluxe digipack edition bonus]
15. Faster We Fall [Japanese bonus]
16. Aiming High [iTunes bonus]

Helloween have been forging a new path for themselves for many years, seemingly cursed in the way that anything with the Helloween name on it will be compared to those influential Keeper... albums, and almost every time the new offering inevitably falls short.

7 Sinners is the third album with the current line-up, and the first since The Dark Ride that has been able to square up to the Keeper... albums and come off looking pretty good. The reputation of those early albums will never be matched again, but Helloween are determined to continually prove their worth as the genre's kings and still as a legitimate and current power metal band.

The album itself is faster, harder, catchier, and simply better than the previous few by a long way. 7 Sinners is a much more organic and natural-feeling album, perhaps due to the line-up bonding closer still and for the first time ever recording an album without a drum click track. Each band member except for drummer Dani Löble wrote songs for the album, and it perhaps the mixture of styles each of the four brought to the table that makes 7 Sinners a diverse and interesting album.

Andi's presence is felt with the tongue-in-cheek "Are You Metal?" but also with the "If I Could Fly"-esque ballad of "The Smile Of The Sun". Weikie's quirkiness is brought out with the flute solo in "Raise The Noise", and Sascha once again shows his merit in the writing department with the killer track "Who Is Mr. Madman?" and its catchy chorus. Markus' input comes out on top this time however, with the similarly catchy "World Of Fantasy" and epic "If A Mountain Could Talk", both keeping a good pace and making evident some of the best material the band have put out for years.

Indeed, quality-wise 7 Sinners has hit the jackpot. It has been many years since Helloween have released an album so solid and consistently enjoyable. It is therefore strange that the production of the album is a little muffled and actually quieter than most other modern albums. As long as you have the sound system though, this shouldn't be so much of a problem when it comes to enjoying this magnificent modern power metal album from the kings doing it their own way.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 6

Written on 29.12.2010 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 62   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 550 users
29.12.2010 - 22:37
Rating: 7
Fat & Sassy!

Been waiting for the Baz-approval on this one (seeing on how you seem to be their biggest fan ). Totally getting it now.
29.12.2010 - 23:01
Rating: 9
Ivan
Retired Admin
The review is right on the mark - this is one of the strongest albums of the year (and I'm not even a Helloween fan). Certainly sounds very good after the weak new Kamelot and Iron Maiden.
29.12.2010 - 23:47
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Certainly an OK album...9/10 is a stretch. A score like that would imply this is one of the best power metal albums of the past few years which it definitely isnt.
30.12.2010 - 01:22
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I say this particular album is seriously overrated...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.12.2010 - 01:34
RafaRata

6 in production WTF===??
The sound is huge and powerful... to my ears at least.
30.12.2010 - 01:36
bluegreengod
Account deleted
Although not the best album of the year, I'd say this is definitely the biggest surprise of 2010 IMO. I really didn't think Helloween had it in them to make this good an album. The production is the only thing that bothers me about it...it sounds horrible in my car! Otherwise pretty goddamn good
30.12.2010 - 01:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ivan on 29.12.2010 at 23:01

The review is right on the mark - this is one of the strongest albums of the year (and I'm not even a Helloween fan). Certainly sounds very good after the weak new Kamelot and Iron Maiden.

rhis is strongest band album ever, even 1th 3 was not so strong albums
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.12.2010 - 02:12
Rating: 8
Mountain King
K i K o
Great album. Many good songs on this one...
30.12.2010 - 03:29
Necrodamus

Good review. This is one of my favs of the year and I've been playing it nonstop for weeks along with Gamma Ray, I'm in a power metal kind of mood...
30.12.2010 - 05:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Seeing as you gave Ironbound a 9, and it turned out to be a monstrous thrashsterpiece, you set my expectations quite high for this album.

download commencing!
30.12.2010 - 06:48
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Great review! I really enjoyed this album! I didn't think Helloween could make another good album again, that compilation they made before this completely crushed my hopes in ever seeing a good album from them again. I'm glad for such a pleasant surprise!
30.12.2010 - 15:09
atkmetal123

Biggest surprise of 2010 , yes ! Best heavy album of this year , maybe...
30.12.2010 - 20:02
Metal Invader

Written by Guest on 30.12.2010 at 01:36

Although not the best album of the year, I'd say this is definitely the biggest surprise of 2010 IMO. I really didn't think Helloween had it in them to make this good an album. The production is the only thing that bothers me about it...it sounds horrible in my car! Otherwise pretty goddamn good

they want tu sound lower like on old records..i think Andi said that in one interwiev..something to do with megaherz or gigaherz..im not into this tenical stuff
30.12.2010 - 20:10
Metal Invader

I realy like this album..one of the best since keeper 1 and 2 imo..but still i know they must do better than this..like Baz said they are Helloween and cant be satisfied with only good record..or few good songs..but imo they are going in right direction with this album!
30.12.2010 - 20:37
farfaramir

Best Helloween album since The Dark Ride.
30.12.2010 - 20:48
patrickmetal12

Where did that "6" in production come from?
30.12.2010 - 20:57
Jason W.
Razorbliss
I'm really surprised by this album. It's the first of anything by Helloween since the 80s that didn't bore me to death instantly, and in fact has some excellent power metal tracks on this throughout. Nice review
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
30.12.2010 - 22:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Irritable Ted on 30.12.2010 at 22:23

Not a big fan of the album. Just can't get in to it like the last one.

The Dark Ride blows it away and nowhere near Time Of The Oath.

For me this is the first listenable and even very good Helloween albums since Keepers part 2
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.12.2010 - 22:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious

"The Time Of The Oath" is still my fave post-keepers Helloween album. hehe

"7 Sinners" is really good and different, if slightly flawed. But there are way more high points on the album than low ones, and its definitely in my top 10 albums of the year. xD

@The last post.
30.12.2010 - 22:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Irritable Ted on 30.12.2010 at 22:42

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.12.2010 at 22:34

For me this is the first listenable and even very good Helloween albums since Keepers part 2

I'm still waiting for it to grow on me.

Is Helloween classed as Flower metal in your book? If so, are you coming out as a closet power metal fan?

Keeper art 2 and loads of stuff afterwards I classify as flower but this one not really. but still far from being as dark as us power though/
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.12.2010 - 01:45
RavenKing

Written by Jason W. on 30.12.2010 at 20:57

It's the first of anything by Helloween since the 80s that didn't bore me to death instantly

That's my own reaction every time I hear something new from Helloween.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
31.12.2010 - 03:42
farfaramir

Written by RavenKing on 31.12.2010 at 01:45

It's the first of anything by Helloween since the 80s that didn't bore me to death instantly

You should try this one, Ravenking . I know "Are You Metal?" can give you a bad impression (when I saw the video, I swear I wasn't going to get the album), but it's a pleasent surprise. The production is more like the ones of the first albums, not so clean.
31.12.2010 - 04:18
RavenKing

Written by farfaramir on 31.12.2010 at 03:42

Written by RavenKing on 31.12.2010 at 01:45

You should try this one, Ravenking . I know "Are You Metal?" can give you a bad impression (when I saw the video, I swear I wasn't going to get the album), but it's a pleasent surprise. The production is more like the ones of the first albums, not so clean.

Perhaps I'll try listening to the album if ever I have lots of time to loose and really nothing to do.
I don't like the few songs I heard until now.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
31.12.2010 - 21:21
floydiac

The production is so much better than the overly digitised sound in the last album and the weaker sound of keepers legacy.

This album is a definite grower. Didn't think much of it at first but am really getting into it.
----
!WARNING! May talk shit !WARNING!
03.01.2011 - 20:01
daniel chack

Best album since Keepers era. Hope see Helloween alive this year.
03.01.2011 - 23:23
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
I listened to Are You Metal? a bit ago while surfing on Youtube. I was actually really impressed, and I'm not a big Power lover.
Most I've ever listened to was Iced Earth and DragonForce.
04.01.2011 - 09:41
Crème fraiche

Nice Review Baz! I don't care for the first 2 tracks, but i love the rest! I do agree that the production is fucking terrible! Sounds like ass in my car ;(
04.01.2011 - 11:40
Rating: 6
zarakkazak

A total deception...the only valid track is are you metal?, the rest is pure shit...I don't know why it is so seriously overrated...
04.01.2011 - 12:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by zarakkazak on 04.01.2011 at 11:40

A total deception...the only valid track is are you metal?, the rest is pure shit...I don't know why it is so seriously overrated...

That's only obvious, seeing as you don't like the album. If you did, you wouldnt be calling it "seriously overrated" would you?
04.01.2011 - 22:32
Rating: 7
Fat & Sassy!

Overall, this album is incredibly solid. I think that, for what it is, this album is a little too long for its own good though.

Hits total: 14667 | This month: 27