Metal Storm logo
Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin Is Dead

Original post

Posted by animal, 04.09.2006 - 09:02
Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed 7 minutes ago

BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, Australian media said. He was 44.

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles Reef near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of the state capital of Brisbane.

Queensland ambulance service spokesman Bob Hamil confirmed that a diver had been killed by a stingray off Lowe Isles Reef but refused to say who the victim was until relatives had been notified.

A rescue helicopter was sent from the nearby city of Cairns, and paramedics from it confirmed the diver's death.

"The probable cause of death is stingray strike to the chest," Hamil said.

Staff at Australia Zoo, Irwin's zoo in southern Queensland, said they had heard the reports but could not comment.

Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter," which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

Irwin had received some negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at the Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his 1-year-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken.

Irwin was also seen as a vocal critic of wildlife hunts in Australia. The federal government recently dropped plans to allow crocodile safaris for wealthy tourists in the Northern Territory following his vehement objections.

Irwin told the Australian television program "A Current Affair" that "killing one of our beautiful animals in the name of trophy hunting will have a very negative impact on tourism, which scares the living daylights out of me."

He is survived by his American wife Terri, from Oregon, and their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/ap_on_en_tv/obit_irwin

Surprise, surprise. I knew that was gonna happen. That guy had a major, if subconscious, death wish from the beginning.
05.09.2006 - 19:31
Lupas
Maximus
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 05.09.2006 at 15:38

Wow,every forum i come to has this news like he was someone big.
I don't have to point out that,yeah-it is sad...for his family and friends.
BUT,his behaviour was always stupid-if he hadn't gone down like this something else would've killed him sooner or later.And his wife totally approved of his idiotic behaviour so what do you expect?
Of course i don't care if he lives or dies cause he always annoyed the hell out of me.
Yea too bad he died and all...it didn't have to happen but-when you're an idiot...shit will happen.

Perfectly agree with you

When you play with shit...shit will happen to you

But RIP
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
05.09.2006 - 22:17
Hylia

Yes but he was risking his life doing all the things he did.We all knew it would happen one way or another, but it's quite odd how it happened.We were actually having a discussion about it at school today.
05.09.2006 - 22:49
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Wow.. I saw him on TV that day, but i vasnt listening, i didnt know it was because he's dead... Well, i liked him, he was really kinda special...
----
06.09.2006 - 07:03
Icewings
La Luna
Well another death , but like I said God shall have him , and yeah he did odd stuff but I guess it was what he love right , and either way when you have to die you have to die , even if you think you are at the safest place , when is your turn is your turn ..he was good man , and well he deserves respect ...I'm a little concerned about his family
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
06.09.2006 - 10:57
SETHULHU
yogi_lb@hotmail.com
he will be missed alot, i was a great fan of his and his tv features. i even wanted to visit Australia just to see his live shows. now i cant wait to see his documentary which will be made in his honor (or i hope they will)

There is a video of the attack, that i know, but do you guys think they will release it?

R.I.P.
----
This site is great. FOR ME TO POOP ON.

reBubblefuckered !!!BAAAALEEETEEED!!!
06.09.2006 - 11:15
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
I can't say I'm really saddened or surprised. I disliked the man. He overexaggerated Australian attitudes to distortion. But, A+ for what he did for wild life conservation. Local shows have even asked that people donate to charities Steve was affiliated with. So, yeah. He'll be missed, but not by me.
----
06.09.2006 - 13:30
Achor
Account deleted
he had it coming
06.09.2006 - 18:36
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
My daughter made this tribute video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNyhqQUPttU
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
06.09.2006 - 20:40
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Sad news, but well, like other people said above: he was risking his life doing this stuff, but he did what he loved, and he did a lot, he was an example for many people, so, his death isn't in vain. The sadest thing is his family, specially the little kids
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
07.09.2006 - 16:38
Hyvaarin

Written by Guest on 06.09.2006 at 13:30

he had it coming

That's like saying that people who die in car accidents 'had it coming' because they drive cars.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
07.09.2006 - 20:22
Achor
Account deleted
@Hyvaarin: maybe what i said sounds harsh to u, but thats my opinion. playin with extremely deadly animals every day obviously has its risks, and if u feel alot for him, u should have been prepared for this.
07.09.2006 - 22:06
Baz Anderson

he wasnt 'playing' with them though
he was taught by his father Bob Irwin how to control animals like snakes and crocodiles
on land he was very agile and witty - he was always in perfect control when he was doing what he was doing else he wouldnt have been there
he educated us about the animals and showed us they they arent scary or nasty creatures

he wasnt killed because he was 'careless' or anything like that
he wasnt killed because a lack of his ability. it was just sheer bad luck - only one other person has been killed by a stingray in the past 40 years or something. it was even more bad luck that it stung his chest
if he stuck to the land i dont think anything would have ever killed him. he was a master at what he did

Steve said that if he was going to be killed it would be in water because you dont have as much control under there
it isnt like on land where he was so agile.
07.09.2006 - 22:14
Ernis
狼獾
That is a sad story....he was a very energetic and positive person...isn't it ironic...don't you think.....he tried to prove that this animal is absolutely harmless.......that is what I heard in the news.......
08.09.2006 - 03:17
Icewings
La Luna
Well like I said before ,when is your time is tour time despite where you are , you could even be in your bed and if is your time to die is yout turn , I see it like that , and well we shouldn't judge him because this is what he love , many people do endless things that can hurt them and killed them but is what they love , some don't even die with that , I guess is perfectly constructed when you have to go you have to go ...
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
08.09.2006 - 10:34
KamikazeChicken
Account deleted
A sad sad day. Steve Irwin was responsible for 80% of the worlds happiness and 40% of it came directly from him.

But anyway he is a great role model for being true to yourself, family life, and wilderness conservation. Too bad he died he was in the process of opening wilderness reserves all around australia and he later wanted to open them in other countries.

One of the teachers at my school made a joke the day after steve died and thought he was hot shit, his joke was STEVE IRWIN DIED CUZ HE DIDNT PUT ON SUNSCREEN TO PROTECT HIM FROM THE DANGEROUS RAAAAYYYS, everyone verbally assaulted him that day lol.
08.09.2006 - 11:26
KamikazeChicken
Account deleted
I just found out that Peter Brock died today.

Two Australian icons dead in one week. :|
08.09.2006 - 12:00
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
One more, and our country is going to explode.
----
08.09.2006 - 14:48
danzig111
Account deleted
I remember laughing at him in one episode when a snake bit him

But now this time around he actually really did die. It's quite sad
09.09.2006 - 07:33
Psycho-Filic
Account deleted
Honestly with that kind of profession, you're pretty much asking to die in a freak accident.

AngelSlayer want's the Stingray's autograph, lol.
10.09.2006 - 02:37
Angel §layer
Account deleted
like she said i so want that stingrays auto i used to watch it in hopes of seeing him fall to his fate, but alas i missed it, i hope some footage becomes available
10.09.2006 - 07:25
Alf~rad

i think that he definitly forgot that the animals are wild even if you care of all all your live, even everything they are wild ... damn i learned alot with this men and now he is gone maybe he found peace and will reancarnate in something that he love

sopas XD
----
13.09.2006 - 21:12
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Today I read that Steve's fans are taking vengeance on stingrays hehehe, that lots of them had been found killed and mutilated in Australian beaches...
13.09.2006 - 22:41
Illusionist
Account deleted
Rest in peace, Steve.

You are sorely missed.
15.09.2006 - 17:00
Sethaios
Account deleted
damn..i liked that guy...he was pretty cool...well i ll just have to agreee that when you do stupid things ...you re just playing your head. TT
16.09.2006 - 15:50
Eight
Shapeshifter
I watched his show when i was younger, r.i.p. Steve.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
22.09.2006 - 00:18
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk
I was SHOCKED to hear this news. I didn't expect him to die so young. RIP
26.09.2006 - 10:04
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
I belive he made a big impact on the rest of the world with what he did. He may of seemed a bit odd to us (we'll at the very least myself), but still, he was doing things that were very helpful. To me he was an all round decent guy, he loved his family and was passionate about what he did.

It is a real shame too see him die at such a young age.
26.12.2007 - 10:54
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
RIP steve, he made a huge impact on the world - great man!
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
06.11.2008 - 18:18
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
II was really shocked when i first heard the news, casue He was a great man loved his show Rest In Peace my brother
06.11.2008 - 18:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Well, this topic is kinda old... But I will post my opinion anyway.

He was always in danger so I always thought that he was going to die anytime. But sometimes I had my doubts because like someone already said... He seemed invincible. A really good guy that cared for the animals IMO and teched us a lot about nature.

At least he died for something he loved. I'm really sorry for his family though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.