Metal Storm logo
Paradise Lost Vs Anathema

03.01.2011 - 13:17
immortal83

Hi everyone! These are two of my favourite doom metal bands . I can't decide which is the best ... I will be interested in know your point of view about it. Thanks!
03.01.2011 - 13:24
Cassian

I think this is really hard to compare, since they played different kind of Doom metal right from the start. Anathema was somewhat softer and more literary. Paradise Lost has always been darker and harsher.

Since Anathema has completely changed their style to something more experimental, more atmospheric and more rock, while Paradise Lost has returned to their root of Gothic metal with a pinch of Death Doom; I personally think it is no point trying to deciding which band is better
03.01.2011 - 13:58
Mechanist
Account deleted
In my opinion, if you really like the melancholic, gloomy ambience, you'll probably favor Anathema but if you're into despair-ridden, darker side of things then you'll prefer Paradise Lost...

In my case, I prefer the latter, but in my eyes all three (including My Dying Bride) are brilliant in their very own ways...
03.01.2011 - 14:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
1th non of bands play doom nowdays , PL go beck to roots but An no
2th how can we help you decide, its up to you what you like best, you say you like doom, I prove madona plays doom, you will like it?
3)any single PL album(forgot disco crap era) kicks Anathema ass, Anathema maybe 1th EP is good, leither nothing special, same liek The Gathering who never craited anything, only 1th album(whit a male vocals) so 1th 4 + 1(5th) PL albums was good doom, Anathema never reached such level and probobly was overated band who play doom not was doomsters
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.01.2011 - 14:58
JD
Account deleted
If they it's only 2 bands why there is no poll to vote
03.01.2011 - 15:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 03.01.2011 at 14:58

If they it's only 2 bands why there is no poll to vote

newby
----

apos;'
[image]
03.01.2011 - 16:49
IronAngel

It's really pointless to generalize what kind of people will like which better etc.

Personally, I prefer Anathema. A Natural Disaster is close to perfect, for example. However, since you mentioned doom metal, I gotta say PL played better doom. Gothic beats Serenades easily. Pre-Silent Enigma Anathema is good, but there's simply much better death doom out there. What they did since then is just way better to my tastes and quite more unique than their early days. (So don't turn this into a "real metal fans vs. the masses" issue, I love all kinds of doom.) You may prefer the early sound, but I think we can agree they stand out more within their chosen style now than they did back then.

I'm not very enthusiastic about post-Gothic Paradise Lost. The next two albums are alright, and I do like their electronic/gothic phase (Symbol Of Life, woo), but I love the raw quality of Gothic.
03.01.2011 - 18:18
Mikrokosmos
Account deleted
As far as I'm concerned I prefer Anathema. I've been really surprised by their music (especially "Alternative 4"). On the contrary I've been somewhat disappointed by Paradise Lost's music.
03.01.2011 - 21:17
whatsacow

I personally prefer Anathema, because they have more progressive elements, but paradise lost is pretty awesome too.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
03.01.2011 - 21:18
whatsacow

I personally prefer Anathema, because they have more progressive elements, and some of PL's new stuff is pure shit imo.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
04.01.2011 - 09:52
immortal83

Written by Bad English on 03.01.2011 at 14:09

1th non of bands play doom nowdays , PL go beck to roots but An no
2th how can we help you decide, its up to you what you like best, you say you like doom, I prove madona plays doom, you will like it?

Maybe I didn't explain well my intentions, sorry for this, Im Spanish and maybe my translation isn't good at all Maybe I should have said that the discussion is about the two bands firsts records (PL --> Lost Paradise, Gothic, Shades of God, Icon, Draconian Times) and Anathema (Serenades, The Silent Enigma, Eternity). They played doom metal in that albums?? All I know is that I love that albums and I don't matter which style they are..

3)any single PL album(forgot disco crap era) kicks Anathema ass, Anathema maybe 1th EP is good, leither nothing special, same liek The Gathering who never craited anything, only 1th album(whit a male vocals) so 1th 4 + 1(5th) PL albums was good doom, Anathema never reached such level and probobly was overated band who play doom not was doomsters
04.01.2011 - 11:20
Shield

You know I do not find a lot of resemblances in the two bands but also the two they play incredible music and perhaps something that links them is the presence of piano that is tied up so much well with the dark experimental sound !
04.01.2011 - 23:58
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Cant say a band is better then another, but i like Anathema's music much more songs like one last goodbye, lost control are masterpieces IMO
06.01.2011 - 18:06
Malevolent-Jim

They sound too different now. I personally prefer the newer Anathema to the Gothic Paradise Lost sound and Anathema are much better live imo so at gunpoint I'd go with Anathema.

However I like both anyway.
07.01.2011 - 12:31
LizaAnathema

Vote for ANATHEMA !!!!;D
09.01.2011 - 09:19
Morbiden_Vision

100% Paradise Lost ... Rate 10
Anathema Oldies Rate 10
New Anathema Rate 5.......................................
12.01.2011 - 02:17
IronAngel

Written by Morbiden_Vision on 09.01.2011 at 09:19

100% Paradise Lost ... Rate 10
Anathema Oldies Rate 10
New Anathema Rate 5.......................................

Do you honestly think that old Anathema stands out in the hordes of quality death/doom bands out there (other than by virtue of their timing)? It's fine, sure, but I don't see how they can compete with the great stuff that's come out in the genre after them. Serenades has a few great songs, but it's very uneven.

Mostly I think it's just "cool" to say you like the real tough metal stuff they did because you know your history. It's a status thing; you're a better metalhead if you listen to old Anathema and like it better. Not that you, or anyone specific in this topic necessarily thinks that, but I'm willing to wager my head that it's usually the case.
12.01.2011 - 08:20
Morbiden_Vision

My buddy the Anathema is not alone in this rank... Everybody knows about 1985-1990-2000 purity and sensibility of musics.. more professional musicians and bands in all genres of metal ... then i think so u waste your time and mind with these new stuffs
02.02.2011 - 12:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LizaAnathema on 07.01.2011 at 12:31

Vote for ANATHEMA !!!!;D

Why?
----

apos;'
[image]
02.02.2011 - 13:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 02.02.2011 at 13:37

Written by Bad English on 02.02.2011 at 12:15

Written by LizaAnathema on 07.01.2011 at 12:31

Vote for ANATHEMA !!!!;D

Why?

I'll tell you why: Fangirlism

Apollon Kalimarias play better football how Anathema play music
----

apos;'
[image]
03.02.2011 - 02:16
Richard

Paradise Lost for me, easily. Paradise Lost and Anathema have both gone through significant changes over the years, but PL have always been more to my liking, regardless of the era.

Even back in the early to mid 1990's, Anathema didn't really stand out to me as being exceptional.. Anathema's best album IMO was actually 'Judgement', which was very melodic and melancholy, although that was when they were moving away from Metal anyway it was a great album.

PL, on the other hand, have always been interesting whether they've been playing extreme metal, gothic metal, or even electronic stuff like on 'Host' which was surprisingly fantastic.
----
06.02.2011 - 20:36
Bleeding angel

I'm going to point out Anathema for sure.Both bands are very favourite to my heart,both have been through some serious changes
in the last years,which more or less makes them different from their old colleagues,and yet they are listenable.

Anathema have been developing all long throughout up to now,no one can question that.Question their ability and music as much
as you like it.

My admirations to both bands go here for you cannot distinguish between the best.
15.02.2011 - 18:50
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Paradise lost. by far. they are darker and heavier....!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
21.02.2011 - 14:16
Night Sight

Anathema for sure
paradise lost is not my favorite band
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
30.06.2011 - 22:07
Damshak

I vote for Anathema, is a good band
02.07.2011 - 20:56
Metal_4Ever

Anathema of course if there was poll it was :
Anathema.................................................24830 =======================
Paradise Lost...................................................0

Total Votes: 24830
06.07.2011 - 14:09
ravendeath

Both of this bands are among my favourites, so it's difficult or impossible for me to chose between them. O.K. "Draconian Times" is for me the best album of all times, but PL are not so good on stage, on the other hand Anathema is amazing in this sector and "Judgement", "Alternative 4", are also masterpicies of melancholic metal.