06. Electron
07. Gate 21
08. Yes, It's Genocide
09. Peace Be Revenged
10. Left Of Center
11. Wings Of Summer

Experimental Alternative rock / Neo-progressive rock
Recorded: Home Studio, Los Angeles 2010
Label: Serjical Strike Records / Reprise Records (Warner)
Total Running Time: 44:09

People like Serj Tankian have earned their stripes in the metal biz, and don't need much of an introduction.

...But that's no guarantee for success.

On his second solo album, Imperfect Harmonies, Tankian let his creative juices flow once more and takes it another step further down the bright road of musical experimentation. A road that leads further and further away from what he used to do with System Of A Down - though he still is and stays, y'know, Serj Tankian. More than ever, Tankian reveals himself as a multitalented musical chameleon, blending together elements from a plethora of genres, such as classical rock, electronica, jazz and orchestral music.

This musical rollercoaster is actually anything but metal. Frankly, it's an unexplainable amalgam of schizophrenic yet touching anthems with bombastic symphonic arrangements, and with - of course - an outspoken deeper, darker message of political/environmental/social commentary behind it. And not to forget, Tankian's iconic voice adding some extra color to the genre-tripping compositions. That's basically the short version of the album.

Imperfect Harmonies, crazier than buying hallucinogens from an Andy Warhol soup can. That's basically the main motto of the album.

The biggest pitfall is the naïve search for anything resembling System Of A Down (or even his heavier debut for that matter). It's simply incomparable! So once you're done chasing ghosts and got that certain band out of your system (hiyo!), there's actually a fine piece of art-metal running circles all around you - and you didn't even know it. Sure, this will definitely need more than a few listens to sink in, and sure, you can barely get past Tankian's eccentric personality, but dammit son, nothing in life comes easy.

In the end it all comes down to a matter of perception, mood and timing. Apparently, there're indecisive boundaries between a pretentious piece of shit, a blank stare, and a work of staggering genius.

Written by Thryce | 03.01.2011

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 408 users
04.01.2011 - 03:54
Axe Argonian
I was definitely considering giving this album a shot, and after reading your well-written review, I feel more convinced to do so.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
04.01.2011 - 10:14
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
One review I did not expect here. And from what I've heard on his myspace page when the album was released, this is exactly the kind of music I do not want to listen to.

Which begs to question if metalstorm has to feature every release by a person once related to the metal world even though that output could not be further away from it. I'm not saying it shouldn't. But the line gets harder to draw with every other album like this around here.
----
04.01.2011 - 11:53
Shield
Which begs to question if metalstorm has to feature every release by a person once related to the metal world even though that output could not be further away from it.

Serj is not a person who related ONCE with metal music... He is the person who had infuenced such megatheriums of metall as Metallica and others. He is one of the most charesmatics metal mucisian of 21th century. The Album is not metal, it is not even rock... You dislike it, It's ok... You may... but do not call him "Just a person who had related once with metal world".
04.01.2011 - 11:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Shield on 04.01.2011 at 11:53

but do not call him "Just a person who had related once with metal world".

why not? To me he is just a person who had related once with the metal world.
Nothing more, nothing less.
And I fully agree with Corrupt on this one.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.01.2011 - 12:15
Shield
Perhaps because he is not a person who cuts veins in the scene or gets used to eats bats or burns churches or had deals with narcotics but he is vegetarian, fights for the human rights and publishes books with poems?

and he related with metal when had sang the Chop Suey once?

p.s. It's your opinion my friend, do not even try to prove something or change it... just discussing about that !
04.01.2011 - 12:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
What the hell are you trying to say?

So what if he is a vegetarian, fights for human rights and publishes books with poems what does that have to do with whether or not this album should be reviewed here?
And like I said to ME he is just a musician who once played metal but doesn't any more. I don't give a bleep about what he does outside the music playing. And I am sure most peple don't care about any of those things either.

He was a bit influential with SoaD but that's it. But there are loads of artists out there who were more influential. So? What's your point?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.01.2011 - 13:35
Shield
My point is that he is still metal musician irrelevantly if this album not metal or not even rock he stay metal musician and I am sure that we will see more metal things from Serj then everybody waits.

Nothing else.. you may reject this post or information about Serj's album if you want
But he stays for me and many other people a great talanted musician as in metal as in the styles of every music he did.

TNX for sharing opinion.
04.01.2011 - 14:47
Rating: 8
Mikyz
For me to properly understand the mechanics behind this albums' composition I had to spin it more than a couple of times, the plethora of genres he mixed in this record made it complex and hard to sink in, but after a while Serj's unique take on music infected me and made me enjoy it more and more with each new listen. Whether it is worth the effort and time depends solely on the listener, if you're not a fan of his previous outputs than it's best for you to avoid this, if you are then you're in for a treat.

I think the review of this album is more than welcome, and whether you like it or not Serj Tankian's previous album was Metal and is featured here so all of his future musical endeavors metal or not will be featured here (like Ulver), whether they should be reviewed or not is up to the staff.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
04.01.2011 - 15:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well I like it, but I am a gratuitous Serj fanboy. Of course I'd much rather it be in the vein of the first 2 System albums but any Serj is good Serj as far as I'm concerned.

I also couldn't care less if less-than-metal stuff is reviewed on here. Sometimes people need a good kick in the nuts before they realise metal isn't the be-all and end-all of alternative music.
04.01.2011 - 15:54
Jon
Nowhere near as influential as hard rock and early punk bands, which have next to no presence on metal-storm, considering the strong modern tilt of the content here. Just sayin'.

Having received that kick in the nuts, most people would do well to explore their newfound desire for alternative music beyond metal on websites that don't feature the word 'metal' in the URL.
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
04.01.2011 - 16:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Jon on 04.01.2011 at 15:54

Nowhere near as influential as hard rock and early punk bands, which have next to no presence on metal-storm, considering the strong modern tilt of the content here. Just sayin'.

Having received that kick in the nuts, most people would do well to explore their newfound desire for alternative music beyond metal on websites that don't feature the word 'metal' in the URL.

Exactly... gets up after kick in nuts... this here is called Metal Storm and not Metal Plus All Side Projects Are Non Metal Albums By Metal Bands Storm
Imo it would be way more important to feature such bands as Aerosmith here than totally non hard rock/metal related stuff.
And why should I veer outside of metal anyway when there's more than enough variation within metal.
Ecclecticism is for people who can't make up their mind what they like. It's for the fickle.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.01.2011 - 16:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.01.2011 at 16:04

Written by Jon on 04.01.2011 at 15:54

Exactly... gets up after kick in nuts... this here is called Metal Storm and not Metal Plus All Side Projects Are Non Metal Albums By Metal Bands Storm
Imo it would be way more important to feature such bands as Aerosmith here than totally non hard rock/metal related stuff.
And why should I veer outside of metal anyway when there's more than enough variation within metal.
Ecclecticism is for people who can't make up their mind what they like. It's for the fickle.

I think it's highly dependant on how you perceive the "metal" in metalstorm. For me this band is very much a part of modern metal subculture given his relations to an undoubtedly metal project, much like Ulver are still identified with the metal masses despite being non-metal. As I say I really couldn't care less about this kind of thing being present, I don't see this site Metal(style)Storm.

Quote:
Ecclecticism is for people who can't make up their mind what they like. It's for the fickle

And that coming from a metal puritan means nothing whatsoever Marcel =P
04.01.2011 - 20:00
Mikyz

Well, the world has much more than just metal to offer, so it would be beyond idiotic not to explore everything available. I also know for fact that metal doesn't offer every possible feeling, believe it or not metal has its flaws, so for me not veering outside metal is practically impossible.
----
04.01.2011 - 20:07
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
Quote:
On Metal Storm, we (well, except for maybe Marcel) try to promote open-mindedness, and this is why music that can reasonably appeal to metal fans will always have a place here, if not as visible bands in the database, then as the occasional review.

Bite me.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
04.01.2011 - 20:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Mikyz on 04.01.2011 at 20:00

I also know for fact that metal doesn't offer every possible feeling

So very true.
04.01.2011 - 21:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 04.01.2011 at 20:58

Written by Mikyz on 04.01.2011 at 20:00

I also know for fact that metal doesn't offer every possible feeling

So very true.

And yet it does, as long as you go across the board.

@the open-mindedness post, once again someone misunderstands the meaning of the word. Open-mindedness does NOT mean you have to like everything in and outisde of metal. It just means you have to give it a fair chance. I did give this a fair chance and for what it tries to achieve it is decent, but like I said, imo it has no place on a metal webzine, just like most of Ulver's newest stuff doesn't have a place here
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.01.2011 - 21:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff

... What?
Sorry but I didn't think I would read this from you since I don't think it's very bright. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a taste for genres that can be completely different.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.01.2011 - 21:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.01.2011 at 21:08

Honestly, I've heard every form of metal and it doesn't even come close to the wide-world of non-metal. Downtempo IDM and electro, synthpop, EBM, industrial and breakcore, ambient, dark ambient and noise, classical even some pop are all things that cannot be emulated by metal. Don't get me wrong, metal is the one I'd choose over all of that but I'd go mad if I didn't have access to the rest of it.
04.01.2011 - 22:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 04.01.2011 at 21:36

...I'd go mad if I didn't have access to the rest of it.

I wouldn't. Especially not if there was no electro and that sort of stuff. I truly hate that more than anything else.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.01.2011 - 22:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.01.2011 at 22:54

...I'd go mad if I didn't have access to the rest of it.

I wouldn't. Especially not if there was no electro and that sort of stuff. I truly hate that more than anything else.

You need to a spend a day with Boards of Canada. It's better than 90% of metal in my opinion.
04.01.2011 - 23:04
Mikyz

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.01.2011 at 21:08

Honestly, I've heard every form of metal and it doesn't even come close to the wide-world of non-metal. Downtempo IDM and electro, synthpop, EBM, industrial and breakcore, ambient, dark ambient and noise, classical even some pop are all things that cannot be emulated by metal. Don't get me wrong, metal is the one I'd choose over all of that but I'd go mad if I didn't have access to the rest of it.

I agree with what you say, but I'd add Post-Rock to that group. I mean I don't know any metal band with the capacity to evoke feelings similar to that of Sigur Ros, or Explosion in the Sky. What I want to say is there is no harm in permitting reviews of albums that might appeal to Metalheads, no harm done.
----
04.01.2011 - 23:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Mikyz on 04.01.2011 at 23:04

I agree with what you say, but I'd add Post-Rock to that group. I mean I don't know any metal band with the capacity to evoke feelings similar to that of Sigur Ros, or Explosion in the Sky. What I want to say is there is no harm in permitting reviews of albums that might appeal to Metalheads, no harm done.

Yeah it's just a case of not clicking on, or reading, something that you're not gonna enjoy. There's tons of prog and power metal featured on here all the time, doesn't bother me I just don't click on it! I fail to see how a little leeway here and there can be harmful to the site. Virtually every other metal site shuns fringe-metal and associated acts, the fact this one doesn't capitulate makes it all the better.

And most importantly it's not as though the site is being overrun by this kind of thing.
04.01.2011 - 23:19
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
Ok, thanks for sharing all that. The review is published, despite its non-metal character, and it'll stay published. And I review whatever I damn well please.

So get back to Serj Tankian, or get the fuck out.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
05.01.2011 - 02:57
Rupert
I heart Serj Tankian!!!!!!!!
05.01.2011 - 12:42
Good album... I enjoyed the MySpace samples... as far as the debate about reviewing non-metal album is concerned, I think this is a perfect example of when a non-metal album should be reviewed. Serj is a very important figure in the metal scene and his creative output always deserves some consideration. I don't mind the occasional non-metal review, but let's not forget that people come to a metal site to read about metal, so it's important not to get overboard...
05.01.2011 - 23:38
Yojimbo
Can I say something? Can I, can I say something? Tankian is a twat, his music is terrible, and I prefer close-minded opinions that don't allow for nu-metal shtick. Thank you for your time.
06.01.2011 - 01:06
gattz
Wow. A lot of hate for Serj on here.
06.01.2011 - 10:03
Mikyz
Written by Yojimbo on 05.01.2011 at 23:38

Can I say something? Can I, can I say something? Tankian is a twat, his music is terrible, and I prefer close-minded opinions that don't allow for nu-metal shtick. Thank you for your time.

You are allowed to say whatever you want but whether what you say has any value is another matter entirely.
----
07.01.2011 - 16:18
jadawal
Written by Thryce on 04.01.2011 at 23:19

Ok, thanks for sharing all that. The review is published, despite its non-metal character, and it'll stay published. And I review whatever I damn well please.

Your one cool cat thryce. They'll stay debating, to whatever they damn well think. Thanks for sharing your low self esteem and your drive to make others feel lesser than you. This is mostly relevent conversation, maybe you should "get out"; or are we just going to stay in the compitition?

Maybe these metal related albums should have their own tag of context? Their own rating system? Because it's not metal, so why should it be in the same ranks as a classic metal album?

Call it an "influence review", or have it an "associative tag". Or just have a watermark across the screen "THIS IS NOT METAL".

Listenable Music Storm!
07.01.2011 - 16:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by jadawal on 07.01.2011 at 16:18

Written by Thryce on 04.01.2011 at 23:19

Your one cool cat thryce. They'll stay debating, to whatever they damn well think. Thanks for sharing your low self esteem and your drive to make others feel lesser than you. This is mostly relevent conversation, maybe you should "get out"; or are we just going to stay in the compitition?

Maybe these metal related albums should have their own tag of context? Their own rating system? Because it's not metal, so why should it be in the same ranks as a classic metal album?

Call it an "influence review", or have it an "associative tag". Or just have a watermark across the screen "THIS IS NOT METAL".

Listenable Music Storm!

Hits total: 8270 | This month: 10