Metal Storm logo
Dead Can Dance

Original post

Posted by Twilight, 17.05.2006 - 22:05
I'd created a topic about this awesome band in the last forum. So here it is again!

For people who don't know them; Dead Can Dance is veery unique music.
Their music is very mysterious and atmospheric. The band consists of two main persons, namely Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrard (Who both have wonderful voices).
After 'Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun' they began creating several albums with some kind of culture/world music.
For example when you listen to 'Into The Labyrinth' you enter the Persian world, of deserts and big crowded cities built up out of limestone.
The music is very innovative and experimental, on every album they try something different with a huge selection of instruments!

My favorite albums are 'Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun', 'Spleen And Ideal' and 'The Serpent's Egg'.

What do you think about this band?
06.07.2012 - 04:22
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Introspekrieg on 06.07.2012 at 01:24

Wow, what a shame that I was the last person to comment on this thread...

New album, Anastasis is amazing! Probably the most consistent release they've ever had.

Wow, I didn't even know they had a new album coming out! Thanks a lot for putting this up otherwise I would have been totally oblivous. Lisa sounds as wonderful as ever. I'm excited to hear more.
----
The force will be with you, always.
08.07.2012 - 08:28
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Glad I could raise a bit of awareness, band announcements are probably the most important feature of Facebook for me. I still stand by my original statement, this is by far my favorite album of theirs. The simplistic compositions work very well, like hypnotic mantras. Been listening to it for about a week straight now, I have no complaints. Life is good.
22.08.2012 - 18:54
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I am a regular listener of Dead Can Dance and enjoy most of their albums. I haven't listened to their newest album yet but judging by the song 'Amnesia' its sounds like their returning to their older, more gothic rock atmosphere of the 80s but still keeping to the world music style going, which makes them stand out.

I don't have a favourite album, but I listen to Within the Realm... Aion and The Serpent's Egg the most.
22.08.2012 - 19:01
IronAngel

Written by CyberSymphony on 22.08.2012 at 18:54

I am a regular listener of Dead Can Dance and enjoy most of their albums. I haven't listened to their newest album yet but judging by the song 'Amnesia' its sounds like their returning to their older, more gothic rock atmosphere of the 80s but still keeping to the world music style going, which makes them stand out.

That's exactly it. It's a pretty clear division between Lisa doing more world-music like chants and Brendan sticking to conventional songwriting. (Apart from the amazing duet Return of the She-King.) It took a while, but I'm absolutely loving the album. Strong competitor for album of the year.
23.08.2012 - 00:28
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I'm not liking their new album so much. It feels so much like ' been there, done that'. Mixed with a lot of sounds that sound way too 'new-age' to me. I like their old stuff a lot, and with 'old' I mean everything they made up to Spiritchaser. I don't mean that it really sounds bad. It doesn't. It's just that I've heard much better from them. Some songs also just feel way too short. For example, a song like Anabasis could just go on for another 5 minutes in my opinion. Once they seem to reach some kind of level that appeals to me, they're already on their way to end the song.