Metal Storm logo
Do you ever listen to Mathcore/Prog-metalcore genres?

Original post

Posted by , 17.01.2011 - 17:05
I seriously love mathcore bands eventhough my fav genres are death and black.It is one of the
few genres where every band seriously writes novel riffs/songs every time and it is always good to hear
something fresh and with a twisted feel to it.I was very disappointed to hear that Number 12 looks like you
disbanded last year.they were one of my favs.

I know that many metalstormers hate -core genres but have any of you ever listened to mathcore bands?
what were your thoughts at that time? Did you like any? do you still listen to any?
04.03.2011 - 06:37
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Written by Zombie on 02.03.2011 at 18:40

No.

04.03.2011 - 17:28
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by Guest on 04.03.2011 at 06:37

Written by Zombie on 02.03.2011 at 18:40

No.

lol, it was a simple quick-answer to the topic title
you asked if we ever listen to these genres and i said "no", thought you were keeping count or something.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
27.03.2011 - 00:29
Coolingsrock

Yes i do i its amazing. My top genres are thrash , technical death metal ,metal core and math core. Mathcore is by far one of the genres that has the most talented guitarist in the business.(besides prog.) Protest the hero is probably my favorite mathcore bands to date.EVERYONE NEEDS TO GIVE IT A TRY. I have been listening to mathcore for a few years now and thrash forever but recently i have been trying out dub step and metal mixed. Its crazy wubb wubb wubb beats mixed with heavy ass riffs or sometimes just insane drums.
27.03.2011 - 00:30
Yasmine

Nah.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
27.03.2011 - 00:31
Coolingsrock

I Take that back protest the hero is my 2nd favorite mathcore band . SiKth is forsure number one. no questions asked.
27.03.2011 - 14:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.02.2011 at 09:00

I've heard Animal's as Leaders be called prog metalcore, and they're pretty damn awesome. Anybody who thinks that their good at guitar needs to see this and realize that, no matter how good you are, Tosin Abasi will always be better than you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt8IwLeFM38&feature=related

I'm not really sure where the metalcore part comes in with these guys (it's just flat of prog metal to me) but they certainly are a bit awesome.
29.03.2011 - 21:45
Coolingsrock

Written by Guest on 27.03.2011 at 14:19

Written by Guest on 12.02.2011 at 09:00

I've heard Animal's as Leaders be called prog metalcore, and they're pretty damn awesome. Anybody who thinks that their good at guitar needs to see this and realize that, no matter how good you are, Tosin Abasi will always be better than you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt8IwLeFM38&feature=related

I'm not really sure where the metalcore part comes in with these guys (it's just flat of prog metal to me) but they certainly are a bit awesome.

oh i know animals as leaders, they are amazing but they just dont have that epicness that sikth has in many of their songs.Behaving Badly and Tempting time are two very amazingly epic songs that equal sikth. the rest of the album is just great but not amazing in my book. my opinion.
29.03.2011 - 22:32
Vombatus
Potorro
No, I don't.
29.03.2011 - 22:33
Jοe
Account deleted
Written by Vombatus on 29.03.2011 at 22:32

No, I don't.

I believe the internet axiom "cool story bro" would be appropriate here.
29.03.2011 - 22:35
Yasmine

Written by Guest on 29.03.2011 at 22:33

No, I don't.

I reserve that for stories where the person lost their pants.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
29.03.2011 - 22:35
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Guest on 29.03.2011 at 22:33

No, I don't.

Absolutely

29.03.2011 - 22:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
If Burst counts... so Yeah, I listen to some. Burst is amazing.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.03.2011 - 07:46
Andre

Nooo... nothing particular at the moment. Maybe when I come across a like band, maybe. But my taste is often against these kinds of genres. I just don't like them.
30.03.2011 - 08:37
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Andre on 30.03.2011 at 07:46

Nooo... nothing particular at the moment. Maybe when I come across a like band, maybe. But my taste is often against these kinds of genres. I just don't like them.

Cool story bro.

Anyways, after finding that thread about Sikth in the Alt metal forum, I can now say that I do listen to a wee bit of prog metalcore. Gotta go check out those bands that were reccomended to me still... Fucking broken headphones
30.03.2011 - 09:24
Andre

Call me in an ignorant, which I am. Genres, bands and songs with -core attached to it, just repels me away.

But the musicians and artists in these projects are not too shabby. I like the cover of Paranoid by A.Sevenfold.
30.03.2011 - 17:22
Beheaded Prophet
Account deleted
The only genre that i listen to that has the word "core" in it is, Grindcore...It is one of the pioneering genre in Metal, Grindcore should be respected by Metalheads.

As for Deathcore and Metalcore, Yeah they pretty much suck, Just look at how the band members of these genres dress, They look like little EMO bitches pretending to be brutal and metal, Their music sucks balls too.
30.03.2011 - 18:03
Andre

Ah yes. Forgot about that one.
I must be getting old, speaking of old and core - Napalm Death \m/
07.04.2011 - 15:29
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
I've just recently gotten into this genre, being a prog-head this genre is somehow the extreme version of progressive metal, it's just so mind fucking it gives me goose-bumps with every song, I'm currently in love with Protest The Hero and seriously listening to their three albums more than 3 times a day, then going back home and picking up my guitar and failing at almost every riff they've made

dunno why people hate the -core genres, I mean most are melodic and/or extreme and are seriously worth listening to, I personally like metalcore, grindcore, mathcore and noisecore, and seriously HATE rapcore for known reasons
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
16.01.2012 - 19:41
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by iMPERiAL_iCE on 07.04.2011 at 15:29

I've just recently gotten into this genre, being a prog-head this genre is somehow the extreme version of progressive metal, it's just so mind fucking it gives me goose-bumps with every song, I'm currently in love with Protest The Hero

Try The Number 12 looks like you and Daughters.
17.01.2012 - 02:15
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.03.2012 - 06:58
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Boxcar Willy on 17.01.2012 at 02:15

I Protest The Hero

11.03.2012 - 22:44
Lit.
Account deleted
Between The Buried And Me is taking my interest in the Progressive Metalcore as is a more local band called The Long Cold Dark.
11.03.2012 - 23:24
theFIST

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 23.02.2011 at 19:21

Written by Guest on 23.02.2011 at 06:31

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 16.02.2011 at 02:57

Bullet for my Valentine was one of few -core bands that I used to listen in my early days....so to speak ....
Now I avoid -core like plague ....one of things that I didnt liked in -core was vocals... they just didnt fit .....

I still dont understand (after 3 years of listening to -core bands) what is the problem everyone has with vocals in -core genres??????

well you are listen it from the start so you dont mind them,but people that listened other genres of heavy metal especially black and death have problem with such -core vocals....I cant explain it quite well ,but that vocals are just somehow "too something..."that they just dont fit in...

often they sound forced
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
12.03.2012 - 10:17
ANGEL REAPER

Written by theFIST on 11.03.2012 at 23:24

often they sound forced

that too,but not just that ...somehow i think that they sound to artificial,like a lot of electronics are involved in making them(maybe its the matter of production),and like when mixing clean singing with them there is always unpleasant "leap" from clean to them...i mean the tone gap is so big that often ruins the music and therefore a song to me...
or maybe the -core stuff is not for me?who knows...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
12.03.2012 - 15:56
theFIST

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 12.03.2012 at 10:17

Written by theFIST on 11.03.2012 at 23:24

often they sound forced

that too,but not just that ...somehow i think that they sound to artificial,like a lot of electronics are involved in making them(maybe its the matter of production),and like when mixing clean singing with them there is always unpleasant "leap" from clean to them...i mean the tone gap is so big that often ruins the music and therefore a song to me...
or maybe the -core stuff is not for me?who knows...

i agree, it sounds either uniform and artificial or forced
but well, that big gap between clean and normal vocals can be in metal too, just that usually neither sounds forced or artificial
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
12.03.2012 - 22:39
Zealot644

Protest The Hero is what made me start checking out other bands under the same category.

They're actually from the town right beside mine
27.03.2012 - 22:48
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I can't believe that this thread is on page two and no one has mentioned Becoming The Archetype at all!

----
(space for rent)
01.04.2012 - 18:05
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Guest on 29.03.2012 at 04:46

There should be a Powercore band (Metalcore + Power Metal)

Harsh vocals in PM are already done, aren't the?? Anyway, traditional Power metal vocals are more energetic and high-pitched and perfectly fitting of the theme and instrumentation. Powercore won't be Power metal at all if it happens, it'll just be crappy melodic metalcore or something of that vein.
06.04.2012 - 08:29
bran

Never got into the core genres
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist