Metal Storm logo
Do you ever listen to Mathcore/Prog-metalcore genres?

17.01.2011 - 17:05
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
I seriously love mathcore bands eventhough my fav genres are death and black.It is one of the
few genres where every band seriously writes novel riffs/songs every time and it is always good to hear
something fresh and with a twisted feel to it.I was very disappointed to hear that Number 12 looks like you
disbanded last year.they were one of my favs.

I know that many metalstormers hate -core genres but have any of you ever listened to mathcore bands?
what were your thoughts at that time? Did you like any? do you still listen to any?
17.01.2011 - 18:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I've really learned to appreciate it in recent times. Before I was instantly turned off by the vocal style which just reminded me of colour-by-numbers metalcore bands but stuff like SikTh, Protest the Hero, Ion Dissonance, Between the Buried and Me, Cyclamen etc. are worth their salt.

Don't really know much about it as a whole though.
17.01.2011 - 18:06
ForeverDarkWoods

I don't listen to any modern -core genres. I love a lot of the older stuff though, back when -core wasn't an insult.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
17.01.2011 - 18:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 17.01.2011 at 18:06

I don't listen to any modern -core genres. I love a lot of the older stuff though, back when -core wasn't an insult.

You should give some of the modern -cores a go then. You should start SikTh's first album. Because you should.
17.01.2011 - 19:48
King Bonzo

I think I have The End's Within Dividia somewhere, really good album before they went all.... shit.
17.01.2011 - 20:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Yes but it ifs on TV, muisc channels, when I accept MS eddits if I need, but generaly nop never
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.01.2011 - 01:10
Sonic MrSumo

I love mathcore as a genre. Botch, Genghis Tron and The Dillinger Escape Plan rock my world.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
31.01.2011 - 06:53
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 31.01.2011 at 01:10

I love mathcore as a genre. Botch, Genghis Tron and The Dillinger Escape Plan rock my world.

Finally heart warming to hear this from someone considering mathcore is one my all-time fav genres........ some of the other very good bands in mathcore that i absolutely adore : Car bomb , Number 12 looks like you , coalesce , Daughters , The Chariot , Ion Dissonance , Psyopus
31.01.2011 - 13:02
IronAngel

I'd never labelled Daughters under any specific tag, but they're great. Only heard Canada Songs, though.
31.01.2011 - 13:11
Nefarious
Doom Knight
Written by Guest on 17.01.2011 at 18:33

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 17.01.2011 at 18:06

You should give some of the modern -cores a go then. You should start SikTh's first album. Because you should.

Yeah i also recommend SikTh. Despite not being much of a fan of the -core genres myself, i absolutely love this band. To this day I am still devastated they have split up
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
31.01.2011 - 13:15
IronAngel

Oh, somebody also recommended the latest After The Burial album, but at least their previous work didn't convince me. I like some not-so-metal corestuff, but I think I'll make a topic for that in General Music.
31.01.2011 - 14:34
JD
Account deleted
Cool genre bands i know Psyopus, The Red Chords.
04.02.2011 - 14:20
Night Sight

It is not my favorite genre of metal
i hardly listen to it
all that remains i think is the best core band in the world
but i hate bands like bring me the horizon and five finger death punch. just yelling and screaming
nothing interesting i see in those bands
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
09.02.2011 - 06:30
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
Written by Night Sight on 04.02.2011 at 14:20

It is not my favorite genre of metal
i hardly listen to it
all that remains i think is the best core band in the world
but i hate bands like bring me the horizon and five finger death punch. just yelling and screaming
nothing interesting i see in those bands

All That Remains! The Best core band???? I dont know if you've checked these out.....But August Burns Red, 36 Crazyfists, The Chariot are lot better than them for me
12.02.2011 - 09:00
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I've heard Animal's as Leaders be called prog metalcore, and they're pretty damn awesome. Anybody who thinks that their good at guitar needs to see this and realize that, no matter how good you are, Tosin Abasi will always be better than you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt8IwLeFM38&feature=related
13.02.2011 - 17:48
3rdWorldFuckFace
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.02.2011 at 09:00

I've heard Animal's as Leaders be called prog metalcore, and they're pretty damn awesome. Anybody who thinks that their good at guitar needs to see this and realize that, no matter how good you are, Tosin Abasi will always be better than you.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Animals As Leaders is an "INSTRUMENTAL PROG METAL" band........they are in no way connected to any -core families
14.02.2011 - 01:46
Culty

Well, in defense of Mr. Void, some of the Animals as Leaders riffs sound a bit mathcore-ish. Nothing wrong with that, of course. My only problem with the genre, usually, is the vocals.
----
Gfnttlr
14.02.2011 - 01:55
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I don't really hear the -core in Animals As Leaders, the remind me more of Cloudkicker, Canvas Solaris, and Blotted Science. Periphery, however, definitely strikes me as a prog metalcore type...
15.02.2011 - 12:36
3rdWorldFuckFace
Account deleted
Written by Culty on 14.02.2011 at 01:46

Well, in defense of Mr. Void, some of the Animals as Leaders riffs sound a bit mathcore-ish. Nothing wrong with that, of course. My only problem with the genre, usually, is the vocals.

What? Is there any specific mathcore band with vocals you don't like????
16.02.2011 - 02:48
Culty

Protest The Hero is one in particular.
----
Gfnttlr
16.02.2011 - 02:57
ANGEL REAPER

Bullet for my Valentine was one of few -core bands that I used to listen in my early days....so to speak ....
Now I avoid -core like plague ....one of things that I didnt liked in -core was vocals... they just didnt fit .....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
23.02.2011 - 06:31
3rdWorldFuckFace
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 16.02.2011 at 02:57

Bullet for my Valentine was one of few -core bands that I used to listen in my early days....so to speak ....
Now I avoid -core like plague ....one of things that I didnt liked in -core was vocals... they just didnt fit .....

I still dont understand (after 3 years of listening to -core bands) what is the problem everyone has with vocals in -core genres??????
23.02.2011 - 06:54
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Guest on 23.02.2011 at 06:31

I still dont understand (after 3 years of listening to -core bands) what is the problem everyone has with vocals in -core genres??????

A problem is that most of the vocals sound the same: you have the growls (which usually have that same hardcore, Hatebreed-ish style) and some whiny, clean vocals for the choruses. Now this isn't true for all obviously, but it is the first indicator for me when listening to an album to not waste my time any further. Even with Periphery, I love the instrumental version of the album, but I cannot stand the original release. Is it closed-minded? No. I just have a preference. There are many bands with vocals other people would hate that I like. It's completely personal and should have no bearing on anyone else's opinion.
23.02.2011 - 19:21
ANGEL REAPER

well you are listen it from the start so you dont mind them,but people that listened other genres of heavy metal especially black and death have problem with such -core vocals....I cant explain it quite well ,but that vocals are just somehow "too something..."that they just dont fit in...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
24.02.2011 - 05:22
3rdWorldFuckFace
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 23.02.2011 at 19:21

well you are listen it from the start so you dont mind them,but people that listened other genres of heavy metal especially black and death have problem with such -core vocals....I cant explain it quite well ,but that vocals are just somehow "too something..."that they just dont fit in...

hmm.......that explains a lot...
24.02.2011 - 19:29
IronAngel

That's not true at all. Some people don't like them, others don't, and it isn't determined by your experiences with other metal genres. That comes awfully close to saying traditional black or death vocals are better and once you learn to appreciate them you no longer care for lesser styles. I started from power metal and traditional heavy metal and later moved on to black, folk, some death and all kinds of doom. I've only recently gotten into hardcore punk and especially post-hardcore and screamo, after some 10 years of listening to traditional metal. I've never had any problem with the vocals, I think they're great. They have a real rawness to them. Granted, I don't listen to the mainstream metalcore (and very little mathcore/progmetalcore at all) people seem to talk about here.

But yeah, it's just a matter of taste.
25.02.2011 - 01:34
ANGEL REAPER

Written by IronAngel on 24.02.2011 at 19:29

That's not true at all. Some people don't like them, others don't, and it isn't determined by your experiences with other metal genres. That comes awfully close to saying traditional black or death vocals are better and once you learn to appreciate them you no longer care for lesser styles. I started from power metal and traditional heavy metal and later moved on to black, folk, some death and all kinds of doom. I've only recently gotten into hardcore punk and especially post-hardcore and screamo, after some 10 years of listening to traditional metal. I've never had any problem with the vocals, I think they're great. They have a real rawness to them. Granted, I don't listen to the mainstream metalcore (and very little mathcore/progmetalcore at all) people seem to talk about here.

Well tastes differ not just from person to person but from age to age of the same person's life...
My explanation was simple,as I view this matter of "vocals thing" ...
I dont think that after something like 5-10 years in BM or DM you got used to that vocals and cant stand nothing else,I'm just saying that after such time people build their own sense of taste for music...And before you put this out of context I must say that I ,even after 6 years in BM and DM ,still like various vocals clean,growls,pitched,falsettos ... as long as they are very good incorporated in songs,...
And at the end everything is just a matter of tastes.....
----
25.02.2011 - 01:37
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Culty on 16.02.2011 at 02:48

Protest The Hero is one in particular.

agreed on this one,I dont like such vocals....
----
02.03.2011 - 18:19
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 24.02.2011 at 19:29

02.03.2011 - 18:40
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
No.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832