Metal Storm logo
What is linkage between Metal and Satanism

18.01.2011 - 14:45
akvan
Somebody says all metalheads are satanist , but somebody says Metal is just a kind of music , what's your idea ?
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
18.01.2011 - 15:00
Giza
Yes I listen to metal, but no I'm not a satanist. People fear what they don't understand. That's why most people think about metal imagery as satanic, because they just don't understand it and therefore fear it and claim it to be satanic. That's how I see the picture.
18.01.2011 - 15:02
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Should be locked pretty soon... The question is not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of fact. Nothing to discuss.

And why the hell would you connect this thread to Opeth? To piss people off?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
18.01.2011 - 15:11
akvan
Written by Giza on 18.01.2011 at 15:00

Yes I listen to metal, but no I'm not a satanist. People fear what they don't understand. That's why most people think about metal imagery as satanic, because they just don't understand it and therefore fear it and claim it to be satanic. That's how I see the picture.

I agree with you , but what about devil horn ?
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
18.01.2011 - 15:33
Demon Heart
I am not a satanic, but I listen metal, but I think it takes to research about satan and satanic a I did, but that was just for curiosity and nothing more, so fuck people and do your own
----
It's a black cloud over head
That's me
And the poison ivy chokes the tree
Again it's me
18.01.2011 - 15:38
akvan
Quote:
Written by K✞ulu on 18.01.2011 at 15:02

Should be locked pretty soon... The question is not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of fact. Nothing to discuss.

We iranian leave in iran and other says we (metalheads) are satanist .

no,i don't . if you listen to " Hessian Peel " (by Opeth) and reverse the lyric you will see : "I see you
My sweet Satan
Come back tonight
Out of the courtyard"
----
18.01.2011 - 15:43
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Quote:
Written by akvan on 18.01.2011 at 15:38

no,i don't . if you listen to " Hessian Peel " (by Opeth) and reverse the lyric you will see : "I see you
My sweet Satan
Come back tonight
Out of the courtyard"

Very good you came up with this excuse right now, but you should have posted it in the first post along with some other reasons why one might think all metalheads are satanists.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

18.01.2011 - 15:43
In_tallica
Black Metal is the only metal that in my opinion has a dicect link to satanism. Of course death metal, and some thrash metal bands have been close to it as well, but Black Metal is the one and only with sincere bands that take their religion seriously. Although metals way of depicting satanism has never been that religious.... So in general i think it's understandable that people can think metalheads are satanists, but only a few of us truly are. Since that religion requieres an incredibly strong and sadistic personality.
18.01.2011 - 16:05
Ted
Account deleted
Black metal is generally held to embrace anti-christian sentiment, misanthropy, nihilism, Paganism, or Satanic imagery, as well as in rare cases racism and nationalism. IDEOLOGIES
18.01.2011 - 16:21
Prisoner
Account deleted
I think music just like all the other forms of art is a way to describe your feelings!
some people might use it to promote their satanic ideas, or any other ideology, and some might use it to promote viking mythology etc...
so what I'm trying to say here is that metal, because of it's music, which is a little more aggressive than other genres or forms of art, is more used by people who claim or really are, satanists!
and in societies like Iran for example, where people think more religiously and fundamentally, it's more common to consider every kind of metal music satanic!

that's the case I guess!
18.01.2011 - 16:23
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Right, Ted. BM, as well as many other metal subgenres, is a very ideological music. But the same could be said about punk rock/hardcore or even rap. The metal culture likes to be set apart from the rest, though, which might explain this satanic attitude. I mean, we metalheads like to be marginal and what best way to do it than by adoring evil? Even when it's not sincere *cough* Dimmu Borgir *cough* it's shocking, provoking and, yes, metal.

Personnally, I don't see how in a widely Western (and thus widely atheist) culture like metal, most metalheads would worship anything resembling a god... You can't be satanist without recognizing God's existence. I do think some satanic teachings are more natural for humans than the unreachable ideals of abrahamic religions, but I'll never atually believe in Satan.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
18.01.2011 - 16:26
Elio
Red Nightmare
No linkage at all.

also lol at receiving a notification about this thread linked to Opeth.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
18.01.2011 - 16:34
Costa
Metal (every kind ) can be about everything people want to connect it. of course Satanism is one among lots of other things, but that it.
The word Linkage is too strong for that!

My answer is: NONE!
18.01.2011 - 16:39
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
Metal is a genre music, if somebody merge it to anything so that's crazy !
18.01.2011 - 16:51
Sasha Batrakov
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by K✞ulu on 18.01.2011 at 15:43

My sweet Satan
Come back tonight
Out of the courtyard"

Very good you came up with this excuse right now, but you should have posted it in the first post along with some other reasons why one might think all metalheads are satanists.

What a dick.

People only think its satanic because of the music videos, cover art, and lyrics. By that, they judge the entire genre. The devil horns are not satanic in a sense. It is just a sign of rebellion against order. Honestly, if it was not the devil horns, it probably could have been the Hitler sign but that is bad taste. Plus, metal is very unique and gives the essence of eternal-ism, mysticism, ideology and stuff like that. That is why they related to a religious aspect. As a sign of my own ignorance, I always thought the upside down cross was satanic (horror movies, metal videos, etc.) but I was told it was the sign of St. Peter. Given, I am not Catholic but a Orthodox Christian. Still, I studied the bible became more knowledgeable. It is true that there are a handful of metal bands that take it too far and actually sacrifice people or themselves, but who is to say other genres don't do the same. I bet Britteney Spears sacrificed a few back in her day.
18.01.2011 - 16:58
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Quote:
Written by Guest on 18.01.2011 at 16:51

Written by K✞ulu on 18.01.2011 at 15:43

My sweet Satan
Come back tonight
Out of the courtyard"

What a dick.

People only think its satanic because of the music videos, cover art, and lyrics. By that, they judge the entire genre. The devil horns are not satanic in a sense. It is just a sign of rebellion against order. Honestly, if it was not the devil horns, it probably could have been the Hitler sign but that is bad taste. Plus, metal is very unique and gives the essence of eternal-ism, mysticism, ideology and stuff like that. That is why they related to a religious aspect. As a sign of my own ignorance, I always thought the upside down cross was satanic (horror movies, metal videos, etc.) but I was told it was the sign of St. Peter. Given, I am not Catholic but a Orthodox Christian. Still, I studied the bible became more knowledgeable. It is true that there are a handful of metal bands that take it too far and actually sacrifice people or themselves, but who is to say other genres don't do the same. I bet Britteney Spears sacrificed a few back in her day.

... how is this related to my post?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

18.01.2011 - 17:12
whatsacow
Metal has had a pretty vivid relationship with satanism from day one. You have people like Black Sabbath and Slayer at the forefront of mainstream metal pushing this ideology through lyrics, dark, ominous tones and album covers and what not. People see this and are very quick to judge, even though the majority of metal musicians aren't satanists themselves, and just use the imagery to sell albums. Then you here things from the more extreme side of metal, such as church burnings, and it fuels these thoughts. It's just a prejudice, like black people being thieves, Irish people being stupid, or women being unimportant. They have no real logic behind them, people just hold to them.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
18.01.2011 - 17:33
seafood
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rz_pWwVj3Q&feature=related , from around 4:30 on, sums the thoughts of satanism in black metal quite well. Also, there's a great interview with Robert Culat (who's a priest listening to metal) here on MS, which was posted a month or so ago, where this topic is discussed with some reasonable conclusions.

Btw, I still can't decide if putting this as related to Opeth is a way how to get more views (which certainly worked), or you're just trolling. And you won't talk me over with few reverse verses.
18.01.2011 - 17:36
ANGEL REAPER
Written by akvan on 18.01.2011 at 14:45

Somebody says all metalheads are satanist ...

Such people are dumb,ignorant and idiots .....
I use satanism in my work just as a tool for fighting against mainstream ......
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
18.01.2011 - 17:45
Windrider
Raureif
That all metalheads are satanists can only come from a fag, there is no link between most of metal and satanism. It only comes to that when you listen to Black Metal, which once defined through Satanism.
I love Black Metal and listen to many satanic bands, but I myself have nothing to do with that or other occult things. I think theistic satanists are somehow as dumb as other religious people, only atheistic satanists are clever and I share my opinion with them totally. It's all about total freedom, this is the highest status for a human to reach, freedom of the spirit, thats my philosophy!
18.01.2011 - 17:55
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
See... that's a horrible conclusion to come to... being a Satanist doesn't make you metal, and being metal doesn't make you a Satanist. Being Metal is it's own religion, it's a way of life. There are some metalheads out there who practice Satanism, mostly because they think it's cool, or that they'll get attention for it, or appear more metal... it's all bullshit. The amount of true Satanists out there is quite small in comparison to the people who are actually Metal.
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
18.01.2011 - 18:11
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 18.01.2011 at 17:58

Editing myself because I'm the editor-in-chief and I can do that

And see, this is what makes me laugh about all this, is it's the overly-Christian, bible thumping, self righteous swine who fancy themselves the saviors of us all, who come up with this garbage... they look an album with SEMI-satanic themes, like Dio or something, and start throwing fits about the imagery. Then there are bands like Deicide, whose intentions I can't decipher, who use blatantly anti-christian imagery, such as upside down crosses and whatnot, and the Christians are the ones blabbering about how bad it is... even though the symbol of the inverted cross is the symbol of one of their saints... just makes no sense to me. But these are also the parents who won't let their kids watch Family Guy or Ren & Stimpy because it's bad for their development... suppose I shouldn't be surprised.
----
18.01.2011 - 18:13
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
Written by Holy Man on 18.01.2011 at 18:11

And see, this is what makes me laugh about all this, is it's the overly-Christian, bible thumping, self righteous swine who fancy themselves the saviors of us all, who come up with this garbage... they look an album with SEMI-satanic themes, like Dio or something, and start throwing fits about the imagery. Then there are bands like Deicide, whose intentions I can't decipher, who use blatantly anti-christian imagery, such as upside down crosses and whatnot, and the Christians are the ones blabbering about how bad it is... even though the symbol of the inverted cross is the symbol of one of their saints... just makes no sense to me. But these are also the parents who won't let their kids watch Family Guy or Ren & Stimpy because it's bad for their development... suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Wait, are you agreeing with me or attacking me? Because I said I don't care.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
18.01.2011 - 18:18
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 18.01.2011 at 18:13

Neither really... I'm not religious at all, I actually believe religion is the downfall of modern society, so I share your viewpoint, I don't really care about a band's usage of satanic imagery, because it's not about that for me. It's about the music. What I was basically doing is using your FACTUAL knowledge of the subject to illustrate my perspective of the problem. Problem being that Christians are creating this image of all of us being satanic, even though we're utilizing symbols that THEY created and utilized. Make sense?
----
18.01.2011 - 18:21
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
Written by Holy Man on 18.01.2011 at 18:18

Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 18.01.2011 at 18:13

Neither really... I'm not religious at all, I actually believe religion is the downfall of modern society, so I share your viewpoint, I don't really care about a band's usage of satanic imagery, because it's not about that for me. It's about the music. What I was basically doing is using your FACTUAL knowledge of the subject to illustrate my perspective of the problem. Problem being that Christians are creating this image of all of us being satanic, even though we're utilizing symbols that THEY created and utilized. Make sense?

Ah
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
18.01.2011 - 18:31
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Quote:
Quote:

Now I understand you. Thank you for not being an asshole like some people.

Eh, no need to be an asshole, everybody's entitled to their beliefs, I just don't like it when christian folk come around and have this notion that all of us need saving, simply because we play a heavy style of music... even though a bigger percentage of bands don't use satanic, antichristian themes in their lyrics or their artwork... it's all blind assumption and ignorance.
----
18.01.2011 - 18:32
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
(And now a response to this that involves sarcasm.....)
Response 1:
Wait a sec.......... So I didn't have to automatically sell my soul to hell in order to listen to this!?!?!?!

That would also mean that a lot of bands are "wrong about the future"? How could that be!?!?!?!?
So heaven isn't going to be over run by some demonic army and/or some kind of giant beast rising up from hellfire and just consuming everything on some day when the sky turns black and fire falls from the sky.....?

OH SHIT!!!!!!! ::::::Long "Oh damn I really f-explative-ked this one up" pause::::::

Okay that changes a lot of stuff....

- For 1 I can let all the rabbits, birds and other woodland creatures that I caught go. I just found out that I "don't have to kill things for satan while I listen to music". (Looks like "the smell in here" will get better...)
- I guess this also means all those robes that I have been wearing I can now leave off. These tattoos all just feel utterly dumb now too....
- Looks like I can stop burning churches...
- My "Perfect infant sacrifice to satan search" has just been "Called off" so now my "Reality show contract" is just F'-explative-ked up
- I guess this means that all that blood doesn't really "anoint the skull throne of Satan with the blood of his enemies/the innocent for earthly glory" now.... If ever you just feel like you wasted your time, try getting a lot of blood for satan.....
- So the orgies and the necrophelia are "pointless" now.... My weekend is entirely shot!!!!!!
- Looks like all those dreams I've been having about being satan's "earthly prophet"/"vessel on the earthly realm" are all just dilllusions of grandure...
- I'm going to have to send the demon away now... Best damn(ed) secretary I've ever had too.....

Response 2:
The link with metal comes from the whole deal of "using the devils notes" (Called that because the progressions were thought to insight otherworldly feelings and since otherworldly = satan it got that moniker) and the fact that it's all brutally dark poetry. The deal with metal sorta runs concurrent with the idea of not within God's realm of things... War, death,. satan, evil, magick, murder, all that stuff..... TO a degree the western church deal with physical reality being in itself "Evil" and how they have pointed it out over seemingly timeless years seems to be more or less pointing to metal being evil.

Like if you're taking this music as an influence on some kind of "building yourself to be a person based on the ethical suggestion of a lot of heavy metal bands" level then yes you will be deficient in some way/probably in jail. If you're taking this music to be some kind of "musical experience" then you're okay.

This thread would have made a bit more sense on a black metal band or in a nnon-band discussion topic, not opeth....
In all honesty most black metal bands do the satan theme as either "For show" or "as a deal of defiance against a currently existing system" more than about "satanism itself".
----
18.01.2011 - 18:44
ImperialTroll
Account deleted
I believe most Metal bands are in fact Agnostic, Atheists, or Pagans...but few of them are actually "satanic" they only use the image of Satan as a symbol of rebellion, being the first rebellious against higher power and higher laws, they use this image to describe the power of resistance and free will and thinking...some go too far and extreme but its their way and it draws an attention to their cause.
18.01.2011 - 18:53
I am 100% christan. and i LOVE metal. i BREATH metal. sure, there are some really fucked up satanic stuff out there...but it all matters on how you take it. if you take it too seriously then its only as bad as you make it. (or as good, depends on your religion) thats just my thoughts.
18.01.2011 - 19:04
RockeRoy
I never heard anyone say people who listens to metal are satanists. Maybe my grand grand mother or some of her friends think so:) I know some people think so about black metal, but moast people who don't listen to metal knows that moast black metal bands only have satanism as an image, at least people here in norway knows.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell