Metal Storm logo
What is linkage between Metal and Satanism

Original post

Posted by akvan, 18.01.2011 - 14:45
Somebody says all metalheads are satanist , but somebody says Metal is just a kind of music , what's your idea ?
19.01.2011 - 17:28
Oriax

One day long ago I was listening to Burzum and with his dark melodies led me onto the left hand path that is 'Satanism'
And as the infamous Ghaal said - ''All Christians need to be 'exterminated' from this earth, they are like the plauge we have to live with, and that is unnaceptable!''
19.01.2011 - 18:15
vezzy
Stallmanite
Pictured above: A person you rather wouldn't have exposed to metal.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
19.01.2011 - 18:35
DoomGuard

@VezzyRattlehead

true

@topic - I think the bands themselves usually link it all, and their fans just follow suite. Plus when your band sounds like something outta hell (Black and Death metal) then people associate it with it. But then again there are bands that write satanic or devilish lyrics but don't believe in what they're singing Look at Slayer, they aren't really satanists they just thought writing satanical lyrics was cool at the time. I'd have to say for the most part in my opinion, it's the imagery, lyrics, and style of metal that gives it the satanic connection. Even if most bands of the genre are not satanic or anti-God, usually the most outspoken ones are covered more due to them being mired in controversy. Almost like a controversy race, whoever can piss off or offend the most people wins. Which in my opinion is childish, but if they play good music i could care less what their stupid message is...
19.01.2011 - 21:39
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by akvan on 18.01.2011 at 15:11

Written by Giza on 18.01.2011 at 15:00

Yes I listen to metal, but no I'm not a satanist. People fear what they don't understand. That's why most people think about metal imagery as satanic, because they just don't understand it and therefore fear it and claim it to be satanic. That's how I see the picture.

I agree with you , but what about devil horn ?

the "devil" horns actually are not a symbol of satan at all. the "devil" horns were actually created by Ronnie James Dio when he took Ozzy's place in Black Sabbath. Ozzy always walked around on stage throwing up the peace sign and Dio kinda correlated Black Sabbath with that iconic image of Ozzy doing that so Dio wanted to do something similar but not use Ozzy's peace sign idea so he would throw up horns in respect for his gma bcuz when he was young his gma would put him to bed at night and would say an old italian prayer while making that symbol over Dio in bed to ward off evil spirits and bad dreams to protect young Dio. and as for the question i am a non-denominational christian myself and i listen to all kinds of black and death metal such as Dark Funeral and Belphegor despite their extremely satanic lyrical content but i listen for the music and the way the vocals work with the music i could care less abt their extremely satanic images/content/messages.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

19.01.2011 - 21:56
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Ironically enough, my band got shut down last night because the neighbors complained about my lyrics being "demonic"... total crap, but they're ignorant retards...
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
19.01.2011 - 22:38
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Holy Man on 19.01.2011 at 21:56

Ironically enough, my band got shut down last night because the neighbors complained about my lyrics being "demonic"... total crap, but they're ignorant retards...

I know how it is...several time my rehearsal was interrupted by various people always with same reason that my music is satanic and that they wont tolerate it....you know what fuck them!They will be blind as long as they live in their fake morals,religion,ideology,and false sense of freedom...

DO NOT STOP FOR THEM! KEEP PLAYING!KEEP LIVING!
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.01.2011 - 22:49
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 19.01.2011 at 22:38

I know how it is...several time my rehearsal was interrupted by various people always with same reason that my music is satanic and that they wont tolerate it....you know what fuck them!They will be blind as long as they live in their fake morals,religion,ideology,and false sense of freedom...

Yeah man, I getcha. Worst part is, I'm SINGING power metal, about a wizard... nothing to do with Satan, or anything. It's all totally imaginary and all that shit, but they were too chicken shit to come ask about it... fuckin pansies.
----
19.01.2011 - 22:52
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Holy Man on 19.01.2011 at 22:49

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 19.01.2011 at 22:38

Yeah man, I getcha. Worst part is, I'm SINGING power metal, about a wizard... nothing to do with Satan, or anything. It's all totally imaginary and all that shit, but they were too chicken shit to come ask about it... fuckin pansies.

Just ignore them....
I sing BlACK METAL though....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.01.2011 - 22:54
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Yeah there ain't much we can do about it, circumstances being what they are... but in the meantime, we have to play super low, and it's hard to get good levels off of it.
----
19.01.2011 - 23:14
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Holy Man on 19.01.2011 at 22:54

Yeah there ain't much we can do about it, circumstances being what they are... but in the meantime, we have to play super low, and it's hard to get good levels off of it.

Why don't you soundproof your rehearsal space?
----
19.01.2011 - 23:18
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 19.01.2011 at 23:14

We would, but it's my drummer's sister's house, and it's in her garage, which has to remain a functioning garage for them too, so we can't do alterations or remodels on it... that and we don't have the resources to acquire all that soundproofing stuff.
----
19.01.2011 - 23:59
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Holy Man on 19.01.2011 at 23:18

We would, but it's my drummer's sister's house, and it's in her garage, which has to remain a functioning garage for them too, so we can't do alterations or remodels on it... that and we don't have the resources to acquire all that soundproofing stuff.

well for a space i don't know but soundproof material is cheap....
----
20.01.2011 - 00:07
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 19.01.2011 at 23:59

Written by Holy Man on 19.01.2011 at 23:18

Yeah, but we can't tack up a bunch of stuff all over their walls, which is the problem.

well for a space i don't know but soundproof material is cheap....
----
20.01.2011 - 00:39
IronAngel

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 19.01.2011 at 16:53

Man it look like you are interested only in instrumentals....well if there is some singing/growling in song that is important too
Quorthon sad once "In song everything must be equally important... "He is one of few men whose words I respect when it comes to making music(like I do too) and completely agree with him...

I'm not only interested in instrumental music or the instruments in music. I like choral and a cappella music just as well as drone metal or neoclassical ambient. I don't think you get my point: for me, lyrics don't kill or save music. A bad song is bad however witty the lyrics, and a good song is good even if the band sings childish things about Satan, rebellion, individualism, sex, drugs, world peace or tractors. That's prerequisite for me to enjoy metal: if I took lyrics seriously, I'd have to be pretty stupid and uncivlized to take most metal bands seriously. Metal lyrics are notoriously bad on average, after all. But I take it all in a spirit of good fun, or indifference. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate really good lyrics when I come across some (usually outside metal, because I like witty, funny, perceptive lyrics and good word-play, which rarely works with the metal aesthetic). It just means I don't worry about them.

I do find traditional evil metal imagery quite endearing, though. Bands who try to be all intellectual and serious about it are embarassing, but how can you not love Bongripper's album title, "Satan Worshipping Doom" and the tracks Hail, Satan, Worship and Doom? Add to that an awesome cover with nude monster chicks covering their pussies with inverted crosses and a big old goat head, and you've got a great example of what the good old campish metal style is all about.

I find it a bit ironic that you're preaching about ignoring petty people and doing what you want, but simultaneously you're trying to tell others how music "must" be enjoyed and played. If following Quorthon's advice works for you in your songwriting and listening hobbies, good for you. But it's not the "right" way. There is no normative way to enjoy music. Anything goes. If you're into song structure, melodies, a particular type of vocals, rythm, virtuosity in a certain instrument, lyrics or even just a "cool" image, it's all good.
20.01.2011 - 00:42
ANGEL REAPER

@ Iron Angel I agree with you on last thing.....

Now to scare your kids "Dangers of Heavy Metal"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBf5F8mTUxE
----
20.01.2011 - 01:08
ANGEL REAPER

And the sequel....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrAX-cGeZp4&feature=related
----
20.01.2011 - 01:48
MightyFuckinThor

Either side of that initial argument is a very broad and inaccurate generalization.

Not all metal heads are Satanists... Quite contrarily, in the scope of the whole world, very few metal fans are Satanists. I'd wager a guess without looking, and say that the majority of fans are probably Christians. I, myself, am an atheist. There's probably a fair amount of my demographic, as well. While I'm at it, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Pagans, Hinduists... It doesn't matter what your faith is, if you like something, you like it. You shouldn't have to necessarily dress the part to be a fan of something.

Heavy metal is not just music. It is a culture. It's something that any fan will tell you something just a little different about what it means to them. It's a lifestyle. We don't all wear the same thing... Then again we all might own at least a leather garment and a pair of torn up jeans. We may not all do drugs and drink heavily, like our idols did, but that doesn't mean we can't be cool like them. It's a journey. You ask any fan about their favorite concert or their first one, and they won't just tell you about the concert... they'll tell you about the whole day getting there, and all the cool shit that happened along the way there and back.
20.01.2011 - 02:07
ANGEL REAPER

Written by MightyFuckinThor on 20.01.2011 at 01:48

Either side of that initial argument is a very broad and inaccurate generalization.

Not all metal heads are Satanists... Quite contrarily, in the scope of the whole world, very few metal fans are Satanists. I'd wager a guess without looking, and say that the majority of fans are probably Christians. I, myself, am an atheist. There's probably a fair amount of my demographic, as well. While I'm at it, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Pagans, Hinduists... It doesn't matter what your faith is, if you like something, you like it. You shouldn't have to necessarily dress the part to be a fan of something.

Heavy metal is not just music. It is a culture. It's something that any fan will tell you something just a little different about what it means to them. It's a lifestyle. We don't all wear the same thing... Then again we all might own at least a leather garment and a pair of torn up jeans. We may not all do drugs and drink heavily, like our idols did, but that doesn't mean we can't be cool like them. It's a journey. You ask any fan about their favorite concert or their first one, and they won't just tell you about the concert... they'll tell you about the whole day getting there, and all the cool shit that happened along the way there and back.

well put ...
----
31.01.2011 - 09:35
Aleister Kinski

Written by Oriax on 19.01.2011 at 17:28

One day long ago I was listening to Burzum and with his dark melodies led me onto the left hand path that is 'Satanism'
And as the infamous Ghaal said - ''All Christians need to be 'exterminated' from this earth, they are like the plauge we have to live with, and that is unnaceptable!''

Burzum and satanism? dude, if listening to Burzum led you to satanism that proves music has nothing to do with satanism, cause burzum lyrics are about ancient norwegian stuff, and he doesnt consider himself a satanist, he just hates Christianity... and as far as im concerned satanists are people who worship satan, not the ones that are against some religion. most of the bands just dont get the god creates everything stuff, and yeah, some of them will fuck jesus if they could but that doesnt makes them satanists.

P.S.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8ZcUI3QlvQ
listen to this, its a great example. growls?, super distorted guitars? blast beats on drums? death/black metal? satanism is not music, is a religion. so if someone says metalheads are satanists, then they just dont know nothing.
31.01.2011 - 19:21
SlaytanicGonzo

I think Metal represents, for me at least, "thinking by yourself". And satanism is just that, thinking for yourself. I am an atheist, not a satanist, but I agree in a lot of things with Anton La Vey. It's about the rituals and stuff when I think satanism becomes stupid
31.01.2011 - 19:23
Vivi'

What is the link between country music and the fact that the wife of the singer died?
05.02.2011 - 23:25
DirkLizzard

Interesting topic. What I miss in all the discussions is a defenition of satanism. Is it a philosophical movement, or is it worshipping satan, or both? And then, who is satan? Does he only exist by virtue of christianity, or is he a more ancient power (Egyptian Seth).

What does one do when he considers himself a satanist? Do you pray to satan, drink blood and burn churches? Or do you believe in an anthropocentric world (centers upon man) in stead of a theocentric world (guided by god)?

Prime examples of satanists are A. Crowley and our beloved King Diamond. If you read about their views of life, you'll learn that satanism is a complex brew of mysticism, ancient theology, enlightment philosophy, liberal philosophy, kaballa, etc., etc.

My point is, satanism has nothing to do with goats and burning churches. The reason why metal has so much of this stereotype themes, it that in the era Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin a.o. came to rise, satanism was such a nice tool to kick the (mainly christian) establishment's butt. And it remains to do so until today, because still most people are to short-minded to have an independent thought or opinion of themselves.

For those who wonder, I would consider myself an atheist and humanist.
----
I really want to here some intelligent melodic technical brutal shredding relieved by some serene atmospheric unsettling moments
07.02.2011 - 01:16
ANGEL REAPER

Written by SlaytanicGonzo on 31.01.2011 at 19:21

I think Metal represents, for me at least, "thinking by yourself". And satanism is just that, thinking for yourself. I am an atheist, not a satanist, but I agree in a lot of things with Anton La Vey. It's about the rituals and stuff when I think satanism becomes stupid

+1
----
07.02.2011 - 16:17
Wintersun616

Both of them has "t" as their third letter and "a" as their fourth letter. Yep, that's about all linkage there is.
18.02.2011 - 20:22
JimInFlames

Thats the dumbest thing i hear from some people all the time. Its a gigantic mega idiot idea by rednecks and/or kids.
Of course there are satanic bands, (In my opinion they are very narrow minded) but metal its ONLY music, in fact one of the most beautiful kind of music ever existed.
As a band you should give emotion to your crowd, not your religion beliefs, that ιs called Proselytism.
----
Archaic pearls of sleep and death,
The voice of December losing its breath.
And the floweryard of white and gray is haunted,
Is haunted.
19.02.2011 - 01:25
Thunderhead

Written by psykometal on 19.01.2011 at 21:39

the "devil" horns actually are not a symbol of satan at all. the "devil" horns were actually created by Ronnie James Dio when he took Ozzy's place in Black Sabbath. Ozzy always walked around on stage throwing up the peace sign and Dio kinda correlated Black Sabbath with that iconic image of Ozzy doing that so Dio wanted to do something similar but not use Ozzy's peace sign idea so he would throw up horns in respect for his gma bcuz when he was young his gma would put him to bed at night and would say an old italian prayer while making that symbol over Dio in bed to ward off evil spirits and bad dreams to protect young Dio. and as for the question i am a non-denominational christian myself and i listen to all kinds of black and death metal such as Dark Funeral and Belphegor despite their extremely satanic lyrical content but i listen for the music and the way the vocals work with the music i could care less abt their extremely satanic images/content/messages.

You are not wrong in the black sabbath context.
But the "devils horn hand" was first saw in music by john lennon, in the backcover of some beatles album.
This is the image:

http://grnba.com/iiyama/html/SatanSign/lennon_satan.jpg

He was doing it in the soundtrack album for the Sgt.Peppers lonely hearts club band movie:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/lennon_horns2.jpg

One font i research, sometime ago:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=32936

Well, for my opinion is that Metal, itself, has no conexions with satanism or other isms.
Metal was not invented to be ideologic or religious.
The pioneers, such black sabbath, made a darkier sound ever made till then. The lyrics talked about satan, and such things, but they never "praised it" or never talked about Lavey, modern satanism, church of satan, or such that things. Was much more about beign against cristianism or other kind of religions than to be worshiping satan or beign believers or schoolars of modern satanism.
Then came bands like Venom or Slayer, wich sounded even more darkier and brutal, saying many things about satan this, and satan that, and how god sucked.
Well, marketing wich is my friends, it's all marketing. I think 98% of the bands wich saying to be correlated wich satanism, or anything like that, or even wich used this "hell" image, are really a big bunch of merchandisers. Not saying they're bad bands, just they tricked a lot of fools.
Well, see, Everybody knows that Tom Arraya (Slayer) is christian and it's a great believer.
Glenn Benton from Deicide said he was going to comite suicide at the age 33, suposely the age that Jesus Died. He wen't back on his word, telling that was not proof Jesus died with that age, that was an error of dating or bullshit like that.
kkkkk
I Think only some big time fools from the Norway scene of metal, or european death/black, really pratic/preach/make/do/think/etc satanism...
Well, but who am i to judge those peoples? I'm a mortal man that don't know anything from beyond this world. Only known what i will eat in dinner (sometimes even that i don't known) and that i will day, someday.
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
19.02.2011 - 13:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Dio already used the devil hornss when in Rainbow so before he joined Black Sabbath, so that BS thing by Psykometal is bullshit
And as Dio has said the devil horns was already used in Italy way before it was popularized in metal and it is a sign to ward off evil. So to keep satan away.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.02.2011 - 13:42
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Wintersun616 on 07.02.2011 at 16:17

Both of them has "t" as their third letter and "a" as their fourth letter. Yep, that's about all linkage there is.

Nicely put. Whenever some middle-aged self-righteous person tells me that metal is associated with satanism, this is what I say in reply: Actually, Jazz is inherently satanic, because Miles Davies was a heroine addict and he had an album titled "The Sorcerer". EEEEVIL!

It usually shuts them up. Hail Sat............................................................................................................................................ire!
19.02.2011 - 13:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 19.02.2011 at 13:42

Whenever some middle-aged self-righteous person tells me that metal is associated with satanism, this is what I say in reply: Actually, Jazz is inherently satanic, because Miles Davies was a heroine addict and he had an album titled "The Sorcerer". EEEEVIL!

It usually shuts them up. Hail Sat............................................................................................................................................ire!

I highly doubt you'll come across some middle-aged person telling you metal is associated with Satanism. It's usually teenagers and those in their early Twenties that say that.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.02.2011 - 14:05
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.02.2011 at 13:46

Written by Guest on 19.02.2011 at 13:42

Whenever some middle-aged self-righteous person tells me that metal is associated with satanism, this is what I say in reply: Actually, Jazz is inherently satanic, because Miles Davies was a heroine addict and he had an album titled "The Sorcerer". EEEEVIL!

I highly doubt you'll come across some middle-aged person telling you metal is associated with Satanism. It's usually teenagers and those in their early Twenties that say that.

It's the opposite for me actually. I do know some teenagers, who think metal is satanic (they say the same of LOTR and the Moomins for fks sake), but it's mostly middle-aged people, who think they have to "protect" the young from metal's "evil influence". Which pisses me off not just because criminal youths don't listen to metal, but hip-hop and R'n'B, but because they have no proof of anything. It's not like they've heard Slayer and Cannibal Corpse and come to the conclusion, they haven't heard anything except conservative propaganda.