Metal Storm logo
What is linkage between Metal and Satanism

Original post

Posted by akvan, 18.01.2011 - 14:45
Somebody says all metalheads are satanist , but somebody says Metal is just a kind of music , what's your idea ?
19.02.2011 - 16:43
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Guest on 19.02.2011 at 14:05

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.02.2011 at 13:46

Written by Guest on 19.02.2011 at 13:42

Whenever some middle-aged self-righteous person tells me that metal is associated with satanism, this is what I say in reply: Actually, Jazz is inherently satanic, because Miles Davies was a heroine addict and he had an album titled "The Sorcerer". EEEEVIL!

It usually shuts them up. Hail Sat............................................................................................................................................ire!

I highly doubt you'll come across some middle-aged person telling you metal is associated with Satanism. It's usually teenagers and those in their early Twenties that say that.

It's the opposite for me actually. I do know some teenagers, who think metal is satanic (they say the same of LOTR and the Moomins for fks sake), but it's mostly middle-aged people, who think they have to "protect" the young from metal's "evil influence". Which pisses me off not just because criminal youths don't listen to metal, but hip-hop and R'n'B, but because they have no proof of anything. It's not like they've heard Slayer and Cannibal Corpse and come to the conclusion, they haven't heard anything except conservative propaganda.

yes man that is a key word "propaganda".
I mean there is always people that are satanists or consider them self as satanists ,but metal as genre have no linkage with satanism...
It is all just like you say "propaganda"...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.02.2011 - 17:50
Thunderhead

Here in my country metal is beign saw with better eyes. They stopped a little with that "satanism" image crap.
The problem are with rap and alike genres.
They say it's criminal stuff, and like that.
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
20.02.2011 - 07:08
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Rock music in general has been a form of rebellion, real or not, for a long time. Satan is the ultimate rebellious figure- He led a war against fucking god(yes, the expletive was necessary). Metal, which is ultimately a more extreme form of rock, is bound to have more extreme lyrical content. Furthermore, Sabbath, the first metal band, had some occult based lyrics, which naturally spread to other bands.
20.02.2011 - 15:56
VloRD

Yeah, true. It is not necessarily a bad thing either, what the metal industry wants to achieve is an alternative, from the stereotyped facets of life. I personally hate how dark and murky issues are just so easily forgotten by the average crowd. The mainstream media portrays life as easy, so its up the rock/metal to focus on the other issues, and get attention however possible.

The finest example i can think of for this case is Lamb of God, who use biblical references and double meanings, which seem to have anti-religious meanings, but actually addressees major political issues, which I think is a brilliant way of capturing attention.
----
20.02.2011 - 17:40
Thunderhead

Written by VloRD on 20.02.2011 at 15:56

The finest example i can think of for this case is Lamb of God, who use biblical references and double meanings, which seem to have anti-religious meanings, but actually addressees major political issues, which I think is a brilliant way of capturing attention.

I never got much into Lamb of God. But after that i'm going to listen more carefully to them.
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
23.02.2011 - 03:23
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.02.2011 at 13:21

Dio already used the devil hornss when in Rainbow so before he joined Black Sabbath, so that BS thing by Psykometal is bullshit
And as Dio has said the devil horns was already used in Italy way before it was popularized in metal and it is a sign to ward off evil. So to keep satan away.

its not BS its fact. when i said Dio created it i did not mean Dio invented the symbol, of course it was in use in italy a long time ago just like i said Dio's grandmother (who was from italy) used it to ward off evil spirits when he was young. also yes Lennon used it in some promo pics but it was popularized and used to represent metal after Dio started using it when he joined Black Sabbath. this is fact. you may be older than me but that does not mean that i am stupid and dont do my research, if i write about something like this its because ive already done my research and im not spitting out retarded opinions and rumors.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

23.02.2011 - 07:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by psykometal on 23.02.2011 at 03:23

Dio already used the devil hornss when in Rainbow so before he joined Black Sabbath, so that BS thing by Psykometal is bullshit
And as Dio has said the devil horns was already used in Italy way before it was popularized in metal and it is a sign to ward off evil. So to keep satan away.

its not BS its fact. when i said Dio created it i did not mean Dio invented the symbol, of course it was in use in italy a long time ago just like i said Dio's grandmother (who was from italy) used it to ward off evil spirits when he was young. also yes Lennon used it in some promo pics but it was popularized and used to represent metal after Dio started using it when he joined Black Sabbath. this is fact. you may be older than me but that does not mean that i am stupid and dont do my research, if i write about something like this its because ive already done my research and im not spitting out retarded opinions and rumors.

Sorry, with BS I meant Black Sabbath not bullshit my mistake, should have clarified that.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2011 - 18:54
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.02.2011 at 07:42

Written by psykometal on 23.02.2011 at 03:23

Sorry, with BS I meant Black Sabbath not bullshit my mistake, should have clarified that.

ah...lol
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

23.02.2011 - 19:14
themetalvoice

Stats say more evil has come out of classical music than of Metal. Hitler loved Wagner so did many tyrants in the pre modern world. How may dictators do u know listen to metal?

So we can link classical music to dictatorhip and death ,not Metal
24.02.2011 - 07:30
Thunderhead

Written by themetalvoice on 23.02.2011 at 19:14

Stats say more evil has come out of classical music than of Metal. Hitler loved Wagner so did many tyrants in the pre modern world. How may dictators do u know listen to metal?

So we can link classical music to dictatorhip and death ,not Metal

U got a point!
But hown many dictators with less than 50/60 years old you known?
----
24.02.2011 - 16:33
themetalvoice

None less than 50 your right. The point being is that the media is so quick to blame metal for suicides and death however death ,wars ect have been around a lot longer than metal. No one blames classical music , opera or poetry which have been around a lot longer than any musical style 500 plus years. If anything hunamity has gotten more civilized as metal has come into existance. Humans in the classical era have treated each other globally a lot worse than today
03.03.2011 - 05:48
perditioned

Why is everyone linking black metal to satanism? Satanism lies in belief which is reflected in lyrics. So I can make a song talking about Satan and it need not be metal at all. Either way its talking about Satan. Black metal just takes to satanic imagery because it fits well. Its not like all the guys from opeth go to some satanic church or anything!
07.03.2011 - 22:14
John Shock

Men, I think Metal is a way of life for everyone who really enjoys it, "the right way", not the satanic way like the question! I Think that's a shame for every person that enjoys Metal to be influentied by that king of music, i'll give an example, Ozzy Osbourne! Ask me why... I tell you why...Ozzy has a dificult life when he was young, mainly in his first years of the career as himself hiring other artists as band members to work with him, when i want to get is... a guy killed himself by listening to the song Suicide Solution made by Ozzy Osbourne, has lyrics...hmm...well...but i keep thinking about that and i think that's a stupid thing to do... i mean, doh, i understand many of us have a stupid life or stupid moments sometimes, but suicide?... and do it while listening to Ozzy's song, i'd pay to see the man's face in that time! But like I always say, everyone has is own opinion, ins't it?...
08.03.2011 - 19:48
HugeTheConqeror

Written by Guest on 20.02.2011 at 07:08

Rock music in general has been a form of rebellion, real or not, for a long time. Satan is the ultimate rebellious figure- He led a war against fucking god(yes, the expletive was necessary). Metal, which is ultimately a more extreme form of rock, is bound to have more extreme lyrical content. Furthermore, Sabbath, the first metal band, had some occult based lyrics, which naturally spread to other bands.

Deena Weinstein, in her book "Metal: The Music And Its Culture," looks at this a little more closely. I'm obviously paraphrasing, but she notes that the Rock and Roll generation of the 50's and 60's was able to shock their parents in America by embracing the music and culture of African-Americans, which was strictly taboo at the time. However, Metal has its genesis in England, not in the United States. The societal conditions in England in the late 60's and early 70's were different form 1950's America, and the youth had to look elsewhere for a means to shock their parents. There were many other avenues for this, among them were those outlets that allowed the youth of the time to challenge the tightly-held religious mores of the time.
This is not to state or even imply that Metalheads embraced Satanism. However, the occult (as well as pagan) imagery served this purpose well.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
08.03.2011 - 20:07
ANGEL REAPER

Written by perditioned on 03.03.2011 at 05:48

Why is everyone linking black metal to satanism?

One word : "Gorgoroth".....Sounds familiar ?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
08.03.2011 - 23:35
SteelSeraph

Generally speaking, anyone who links anything with satanism isn't going to be swayed by a logical argument is probably best if avoided.
09.03.2011 - 17:12
ANGEL REAPER

Written by SteelSeraph on 08.03.2011 at 23:35

Generally speaking, anyone who links anything with satanism isn't going to be swayed by a logical argument is probably best if avoided.

like these guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtoqRcXbuU8
biggest crap documentary ever in my opinion,and most ridiculous after the Illuminati one....
----
09.03.2011 - 17:26
ANGEL REAPER

And this one is pure propaganda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tNKACwJe7c&feature=related

Now when this ^ type of shit get more publicity than metal in media it is almost eminent that metal and satanism will be linked....
----
09.03.2011 - 18:57
perditioned

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 08.03.2011 at 20:07

Yes but Gorgoroth is one of those bands who openly express their involvement with Satan. But why does that make every black metal artist a satanist? Not to mention the bands who musically have a black metal influence. What Im trying to say is that people can't listen to or like black metal without being accused of satanism.
10.03.2011 - 11:17
ANGEL REAPER

Written by perditioned on 09.03.2011 at 18:57

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 08.03.2011 at 20:07

Yes but Gorgoroth is one of those bands who openly express their involvement with Satan. But why does that make every black metal artist a satanist? Not to mention the bands who musically have a black metal influence. What Im trying to say is that people can't listen to or like black metal without being accused of satanism.

Gorgoroth was an example that suit well as an answer to your question....You see when something become representative or just well known like the "satanic"BM metal outsiders(common people) just take that image for granted and them mark everyone with the label they created....Stereotypes is the best word....
----
12.03.2011 - 13:13
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
I know that not the best thing to do is to solve this logically with a Joker quote, but this time maybe it is. He told Two-Face in the earlier Batman movie that people are satisfied with schemes that people put for them. That a mayor's gonna rule until the end of his term. That a president will stay until the next elections. That prices will stay the same (or increase / decrease according to a pattern). And one of the "normal" things people want is that music stays in the "society's boundaries", that it doesn't go and include screaming and hard stuff. And supported by that most Metal lyrics are not cheerful and happy but instead dark and sometimes terrifying, people are scared because "it's not according to the plan".

Metal is revolutionary. Metal has lots of dark stuff and isn't afraid of what people are afraid of. And it pisses particularly everyone out of it off because it shows them that it doesn't "give a fuck" about them. Basically a big finger to all haters (and especially religious people, who are pissed of by anyone truly believing in a culture that is not theirs). So, what do they do? Like in the good ol' history and movies, try to make it out as a cult. Dig up a few bands with Satanist musicians, make some hype bout 'em, then tell the people Metal is the work of Satanists and masons. Then, of course, they start making illusions to people by giving them Slayer lyrics and telling them they're cult-tuned, etc. People get convinced. Parents get protective. Religious people get angry (why, do they ever calm down?).

And despite all of this shit Metal gets, we're still pissing them off.
We're still forming a Big Finger to all haters. To all accusers.
Metal forever.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
14.03.2011 - 22:41
Head_Crusher

Its a stereotype, metal is some of the most wholesome music i know of, most of that other shit is worse then metal, and many don't teach the same values as metal do
05.04.2011 - 00:55
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Not all metal is satanic. But, there are satanic bands. Most black metal bands from Norway are satanic. Stuff like Mayhem, Emperor, Gorgoroth, Dimmu Borgir.... Those are the SATANIC BANDS. On the other hand, there are bands, like Slayer, that use satanic imagery for fun, so they are not REALLY Satanic. Most satanism comes from Black Metal, so I avoid it. Actually, I hate the linkage between Metal and Satanism, because, whenever I say METAL, somebody cries " Metal is satanic!". Especially in my country, where metal is totally band, and if you are a METALLIST you definitely worship SATAN! In my opinion, it's a genre of music, just like rock or anything else...
05.04.2011 - 01:18
Yasmine

I agree, if someone believes something is Satanic , no logical argument sways them.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
05.04.2011 - 15:11
Zenzero
Zenzero
Well, listening to Lavatory love machine by Edguy I don't think to Satan!
06.04.2011 - 02:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
There isn't a link between all metal and satanism, but there certainly is a link between satanism and a good chunk of metal bands.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.04.2011 - 03:01
Yasmine

Written by BitterCOld on 06.04.2011 at 02:03

There isn't a link between all metal and satanism, but there certainly is a link between satanism and a good chunk of metal bands.

Such as? And do we mean Satanism the philosophy or the actual worship of the mythology being Satan as a deity?
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
06.04.2011 - 03:35
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Yasmine on 06.04.2011 at 03:01

Such as? And do we mean Satanism the philosophy or the actual worship of the mythology being Satan as a deity?

are you vaguely familiar with black metal?

there seem to be a whole lot of artists who, whether serious or putting on a facade to move units to acne-scarred maladjusted youth, spout Satanic values. and both kinds, Country AND Western... err, Philosophical (Laveyen) or Theistic (those that worship and want to go waterskiing on the Lake of Fire with the One With Horns). never mind subsets of Death and Doom... or King Diamond, Mercyful Fate...

could not decide if you were just ignorant of all these bands vomiting forth Satan* or were just trolling for fun, so i opted to indulge just this once.

(* someone with more time cue Gaahl, please, I have to head out the door in a minute here. thanks.)
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.04.2011 - 03:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by BitterCOld on 06.04.2011 at 03:35

You forgot about Nödtveidt.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.04.2011 - 03:56
Yasmine

Written by BitterCOld on 06.04.2011 at 03:35

there seem to be a whole lot of artists who, whether serious or putting on a facade to move units to acne-scarred maladjusted youth, spout Satanic values. and both kinds, Country AND Western... err, Philosophical (Laveyen) or Theistic (those that worship and want to go waterskiing on the Lake of Fire with the One With Horns). never mind subsets of Death and Doom... or King Diamond, Mercyful Fate...

could not decide if you were just ignorant of all these bands vomiting forth Satan* or were just trolling for fun, so i opted to indulge just this once.

(* someone with more time cue Gaahl, please, I have to head out the door in a minute here. thanks.)

I was attempting to have a discussion, but since you're the same dude who thinks a magical sky fairy healed him or sent someone too, I am just gonna say....nevermind this won't go anywhere.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That is how I define trolling. Lets just let it go, your entire argument will be from the view of superstition that I will not entertain, I gave you the benefit of the doubt when you asked me to about faith healing, however I'm not given that. So I'll label you a hypocrite and move a long. Praise Jaysus.
----