12. Bedazzled Fingernails
13. The Sparrow
14. The Ruiner [limited-edition bonus]
15. Deathbound [limited-edition bonus]

The best Stoner / Sludge Metal album of 2011

Staff review by
BitterCOld
Rating:
With The Hunter, Mastodon are out of their element. Or rather out of elements. Fortunately, after releasing albums loosely themed about fire, water, earth, and air, the Georgia quartet ignored Metalstormers' pleas for a Captain Planet album to tie it all together.

So as for the new album, the immediate TL;DR is this: If you were expecting Leviathan 2.0 or Remission MMXII, you'll likely be disappointed. If you were cool with Crack The Skye, it's a safe bet you will enjoy this one as well.

Read more ››
published 28.09.2011 | Comments (38)

Found in 68 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 92   Visited by: 1571 users
06.10.2012 - 14:28
Rating: 9
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Boxcar Willy on 30.10.2011 at 05:03

This album reminds me of ozzy osbourne...

The song "Dry Bone Valley" reminded me a bit of Ozzy Osbourne.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
07.11.2012 - 15:45
Death_95

A Masterpiece.
05.02.2013 - 03:34
Rating: 6
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Alright i guess, stoner/sludgy metal really isn't my genre, but I enjoyed it for what it was nevertheless.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
05.02.2013 - 12:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by CobiWan1993 on 05.02.2013 at 03:34
Alright i guess, stoner/sludgy metal really isn't my genre, but I enjoyed it for what it was nevertheless.

This album won't tell you a thing about Sludge since it has nothing to do with it... This might be a bit stoner-ish though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.07.2014 - 18:33
Rating: 7
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Mastodon's worst - a great album, nonetheless.
20.07.2014 - 13:51
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by LeKiwi on 19.07.2014 at 18:33

Mastodon's worst - a great album, nonetheless.

This is my favourite Mastodon album, but I think I'm in the minority on that score.
----
13.08.2014 - 23:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Shoegaze ambient vocals? I must not remember this as well as I thought...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.08.2014 - 13:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.08.2014 at 23:20

Shoegaze ambient vocals? I must not remember this as well as I thought...

There aren't any shoegaze ambient vocals on The Hunter, so rest assured you do remember it as well as you thought
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.08.2014 - 15:30
raveneffect

Wouldnt call it shoegaze-ish but I see what you mean. The vocals were my main problem in this one but after a few listens i got used to it and I think I actually enjoy it more by now.
14.08.2014 - 16:06
raveneffect

And they're being uncorrectly labelled as shoegaze since the sound is way more Post-Rock. I find some similarities in the newest Mastodon Album
14.08.2014 - 16:36
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Mastodon sounding like Alcest? I probably should give it a spin
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
14.08.2014 - 16:48
Ilham
Giant robot
I'll re-listen to it just to be able to say there is no such thing in this.
14.08.2014 - 17:12
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 14.08.2014 at 17:00

Written by Karlabos on 14.08.2014 at 16:36

'Mastodon sounding like Alcest' is a much different mindset to 'a very very small part of the final track reminded me of Alcest'. The latter is what I felt. I'm sorry if my allegedly ludicrous 'comparison' leads to any negative feelings towards Mastodon. Don't take what I said literally

More like "positive feelings" i''d totally give mastodon a chance if they did shoegaze stoner metal. xD
Now that you mention it I read only the part where you said "reminded me of Alcest" without reading the context, but after i read everything it became clear.

So I probably shouldn't give it a spin now =P
----
- Reimu Hakurei
14.08.2014 - 17:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Karlabos on 14.08.2014 at 17:12

Written by Guest on 14.08.2014 at 17:00

'Mastodon sounding like Alcest' is a much different mindset to 'a very very small part of the final track reminded me of Alcest'. The latter is what I felt. I'm sorry if my allegedly ludicrous 'comparison' leads to any negative feelings towards Mastodon. Don't take what I said literally

More like "positive feelings" i''d totally give mastodon a chance if they did shoegaze stoner metal. xD
Now that you mention it I read only the part where you said "reminded me of Alcest" without reading the context, but after i read everything it became clear.

So I probably shouldn't give it a spin now =P

Except that they aren't stoner metal. They are sludge.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.08.2014 - 17:39
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.08.2014 at 17:19

Still not shoegaze. u.u
----
- Reimu Hakurei
14.08.2014 - 17:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Karlabos on 14.08.2014 at 17:39

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.08.2014 at 17:19

Still not shoegaze. u.u

Not a single second of shoegaze to be found on The Hunter
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.08.2014 - 20:01
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.08.2014 at 17:43

Not a single second of shoegaze to be found on The Hunter

Saying there's shoegaze in a Mastodon album is not only ridiculous, it's offensive....to me....because wtf, shoegaze?
14.08.2014 - 20:17
Lit.
Account deleted
Comparing Mastodon to Alcest?

Faith in humanity dropping... dropping... dropping...
14.08.2014 - 20:36
raveneffect

He didnt compared to Alcest, Jesus. stop exagerating.
14.08.2014 - 20:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Just the mere mention of Alcest here is blasphemy
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.08.2014 - 00:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Re-listened to the last track to get a sense of wtf is going on in this thread. Agreed with all who point out that there is absolutely no reason for Alcest to be brought up here.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.08.2014 - 00:38
Ilham
Giant robot
Yeah there wasn't. Sad that I need excuses like this to go back to albums I like.
15.08.2014 - 00:49
mz

Mastodon sounding like Alcest? I probably should avoid it like a plague.

Fixed.
But not really. I have little experience with mastodon and this album. Not alcest/shoegaze/whatever here.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
15.08.2014 - 04:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 14.08.2014 at 16:25
To me they have enough shoe/blackgaze elements in their music to warrant such a classification.

You might have confused people with this. Pretty sure it was in response to Alcest, but people might have taken it as a comment about Mastodon.
----
15.08.2014 - 21:26
Ganondox

Okay, you guys are crazy. He said the vocals on The Sparrow remind him of shoegaze, specifically Alcest, and yes, those vocals would fit in a shoegaze song quite well even though the song itself isn't shoegaze or anything close to Alcest. There was absolutely nothing about Mastodon being anything like Alcest aside from the vocals on the one song, and absolutely nothing about their being any shoegaze on the album, just some vocals. The vocals don't remind me of Alcest, though I haven't listened to any Alcest recently, but to each their own.
16.08.2014 - 01:14
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Ganondox on 15.08.2014 at 21:26

Okay, you guys are crazy. He said the vocals on The Sparrow remind him of shoegaze, specifically Alcest, and yes, those vocals would fit in a shoegaze song quite well even though the song itself isn't shoegaze or anything close to Alcest. There was absolutely nothing about Mastodon being anything like Alcest aside from the vocals on the one song, and absolutely nothing about their being any shoegaze on the album, just some vocals. The vocals don't remind me of Alcest, though I haven't listened to any Alcest recently, but to each their own.

Thank you. Finally someone brings a bit of sense to the discussion and puts the original comment in its true perspective. Cool closing song for mine. Haven't heard any Alcest so can't comment on the similarity with the vocal style. "Shoegaze" sounds pretty funny.
----
16.08.2014 - 05:50
Diverge

Written by Ace Frawley on 16.08.2014 at 01:14

Thank you. Finally someone brings a bit of sense to the discussion and puts the original comment in its true perspective. Cool closing song for mine. Haven't heard any Alcest so can't comment on the similarity with the vocal style. "Shoegaze" sounds pretty funny.

I don't see how you can judge whether he brought "a bit of sense to the discussion" when you haven't heard any Alcest. You don't really know if the comparison is apt or not, and you're literally taking somebody else's word for it instead of investigating it yourself. Without knowledge of the band, you don't realize the true import of the claim the OP is trying to make and just how ludicrous it is. Some ideas are just ridiculous, and that's perfectly reasonable. Confronting these ideas leads to a discussion that can help other listeners so as not to betray the essence of what Mastodon is actually doing.

I also don't think anyone really deferred away from the "true perspective" of the original comment. They simply treated it as it should be addressed: with ridicule.
16.08.2014 - 13:52
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Diverge on 16.08.2014 at 05:50

I don't see how you can judge whether he brought "a bit of sense to the discussion" when you haven't heard any Alcest. You don't really know if the comparison is apt or not, and you're literally taking somebody else's word for it instead of investigating it yourself. Without knowledge of the band, you don't realize the true import of the claim the OP is trying to make and just how ludicrous it is. Some ideas are just ridiculous, and that's perfectly reasonable. Confronting these ideas leads to a discussion that can help other listeners so as not to betray the essence of what Mastodon is actually doing.

I also don't think anyone really deferred away from the "true perspective" of the original comment. They simply treated it as it should be addressed: with ridicule.

hahahaha, you probably have a point. Never listened to Alcest in my life, so how the hell would I know? Nothing like a bit of genre and sub-genre discussion to draw out wild and unfounded accusations. To be honest, I find the whole thing a bit boring. I don't really care for what people classify a certain band or album to be.
----
10.09.2014 - 23:23
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Entertaining to read all these comments! Cool album, grew on me
17.06.2020 - 00:19
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
They ate a few too many shrooms for this one, but still a pretty fun listen overall
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 28401 | This month: 59