Metal Storm logo
Is metal a homophobic genre?

Original post

Posted by MétalNoir, 20.01.2011 - 21:36
I'm gay. And I'm a metalhead to the core. Paradox? No, not if you consider the fact that sexual orientation actually has nothing to do with personnality. Ghaal is gay and he freaks most people out because he looks like a demonic murderer. Yet, I come across homophobic comments like ten times every fucking time I visit this website.

So, I wonder if metalheads are homophobic. What do you think?

PS: PLEASE avoid gay-bashing, I'm trying to have an intelligent discussion, here. If you can't be open-minded, go back to the 18th century.
01.03.2011 - 19:46
KvltovKthvlhv

I think metal probably was a little homophobic back in the 80's because otherwise Rob Halford would have come out as gay sooner, or maybe it was just the fans. Anyway as of now I don't think its a homophobic genre, except as someone said in certain black metal circles. I think the homophobia comes from people being ignorant, being trolls, or sometimes just using words (don't take offense i am not calling anyone this) like fag, or whatever to insult someone, really having nothing to do with them hating homosexuals. Just remember, Rob Halford is the metal god vocally speaking, and he's gay, I'd think that settles the question.
----
When night falls she cloaks the world in impenatrable darkness, a chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air...suddenly life has new meaning
02.03.2011 - 07:25
WickedBuddhi

I don't see homophobia being an issue with metal. Like some have said, back in the day it could have possibly been an issue. But over the years it seems to have become the most accepting. I see metal as the "fuck you" to any or all forms or oppression including sexual oppression.
02.03.2011 - 08:13
wormdrink414

Extreme metal generally appeals to traditionally masculine interests (death, violence, growling, not bathing, etc.), so there is definitely some anti-femininity in the death, thrash, and black metal scenes. Can't say I've seen much blatant homophobia, though. You're bound to find idiots who call anything traditionally feminine done by metal bands or metal fans "fag shit", "homo shit", and "gay shit". My fellow good-music-fan's preoccupation with excrement, however, is more interesting to me. Monkeys. We're all monkeys!
02.03.2011 - 08:59
Silent_wolfer

Written by WickedBuddhi on 02.03.2011 at 07:25

I don't see homophobia being an issue with metal. Like some have said, back in the day it could have possibly been an issue. But over the years it seems to have become the most accepting. I see metal as the "fuck you" to any or all forms or oppression including sexual oppression.

I agree. In my opinion i don't think it shouldn't be, it should be all about the music and what we stand for. Homosexuality is an personal thing and we have no right to judge on that.
02.03.2011 - 21:58
BloodTears
ANA-thema
This is an interesting thread. I wonder about that sometimes but I'm not sure really.

I agree with the faction that says it isn't an issue with metal, there's always gonna be jokes because boys will be boys and I see that as a normal thing to happen, but I never saw anything where it gets to the point of being unhealthy or too much. At least not in a direct outspoken way. Maybe some people might feel that inside and not express it. But I don't think it's more prevalent in metal than in other kinds of music, if anything I believe it's worse in rap/hip hop music.

Bottom line, people will have prejudices, no matter what they listen to. I don't think metal embodies a certain negative attitude against homophobia, but maybe that's just me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.04.2011 - 01:38
Ghostdancer

I think it was probably a little more homophobic in the past than it is now. When I was a kid people did use the words "fag," "homo," and "gay" with implicit negative connotations quite a bit. I don't know how it is everywhere else, but I don't hear that stuff as much anymore. I mean, as has been pointed out, the "metal god" Halford and Ghaal are gay. I think a lot of times when people say "fag" or "gay" these days it isn't literal. Or maybe that's just in South Park, I don't know. Anyway, I don't think it's nearly as bad these days.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
27.04.2011 - 05:04
Yasmine

I think it's just a kid thing, once the boys reach maturity they stop worrying about "gays". They just have something to prove as teens, and as men realize the idea is in fact silly indeed. If we base it on the users here I'd say most aren't homophobic. I never got any shit from my friends when I started to transition either, not once did any of them give me a hard time, and they even joke with me about it plenty now.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
27.04.2011 - 22:30
caimanjosh

Wow, a whole thread about gays and metal, without anyone bringing up Nanowar?
28.04.2011 - 02:57
Kennoth

Metal is certainly more focused about intensity and machismo, especially in it's early beginnings. but I wouldn't consider it a homophobic genre myself. The way I see it, the whole 'idea' of metal movement was to promote individualism and thinking for yourself, and bashing gay people for being what they are would violate that.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
28.04.2011 - 03:55
Yasmine

Written by Kennoth on 28.04.2011 at 02:57

Metal is certainly more focused about intensity and machismo, especially in it's early beginnings. but I wouldn't consider it a homophobic genre myself. The way I see it, the whole 'idea' of metal movement was to promote individualism and thinking for yourself, and bashing gay people for being what they are would violate that.

Yea it seems like a lot of that is gone with the only exception I noticed is the DM only kids. I feel bad for anyone who gets shit for this, makes me feel a little bad that I can hide among people but some of them really can't.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
28.04.2011 - 03:59
Kennoth

Written by whatsacow on 28.01.2011 at 22:10

Metal as a whole isn't homophobic, however I would stay away from nu metal. For homophobia and quality's sake.

As a designated forum nu-metalhead I must ask for elaboration of this.

Written by Yasmine on 28.04.2011 at 03:55

Yea it seems like a lot of that is gone with the only exception I noticed is the DM only kids. I feel bad for anyone who gets shit for this, makes me feel a little bad that I can hide among people but some of them really can't.

Maybe its a cliche, but more often than not, people being more offensive toward other group of people are just trying to hide their own insecurities. I say live and let live. Why would I be bothered with gay people as long as they don't bother me? If you're being a nuisance, I'll hate you no matter if you're gay or not. Only thing I personally dislike is seeing feminine men, especially with women clothing and lipstick and such. It just bugs me. But I still don't hate them.
----
28.04.2011 - 04:08
Yasmine

Written by Kennoth on 28.04.2011 at 03:59

Written by Yasmine on 28.04.2011 at 03:55

Maybe its a cliche, but more often than not, people being more offensive toward other group of people are just trying to hide their own insecurities. I say live and let live. Why would I be bothered with gay people as long as they don't bother me? If you're being a nuisance, I'll hate you no matter if you're gay or not. Only thing I personally dislike is seeing feminine men, especially with women clothing and lipstick and such. It just bugs me. But I still don't hate them.

I like feminine guys only so far as a little eyeliner, if he can pull it off. Then again I find butch girls scary. But then again, I am a total nuisance. But really I don't tell people offline that I'm a transsexual, doesn't seem like it's anyone's bussiness but mine.
----
28.04.2011 - 04:13
Kennoth

Written by Yasmine on 28.04.2011 at 04:08

I like feminine guys only so far as a little eyeliner, if he can pull it off. Then again I find butch girls scary. But then again, I am a total nuisance. But really I don't tell people offline that I'm a transsexual, doesn't seem like it's anyone's bussiness but mine.

Indeed, that's a very private thing. Maybe only a few close friends
----
28.04.2011 - 04:18
Yasmine

Written by Kennoth on 28.04.2011 at 04:13

Written by Yasmine on 28.04.2011 at 04:08

Indeed, that's a very private thing. Maybe only a few close friends

Well most of my friends from high school are still around and they all saw me go through the changes, but they only talk to me about it in private. I think they just know cause i never asked them to. lol However meeting new people I have only told other person since high school, and of course I told my bf right away. I know there are enough people who either wouldn't know how to react or would react poorly that I keep it to myself. It was hard enough going through it and my step father was very against it, etc. Don't need more trouble. lol
----
28.04.2011 - 04:22
Kennoth

Honestly? I wouldn't know how to react myself. I mean, I wouldn't mind friendship and all that, but something else? It would probably haunt my mind...
----
28.04.2011 - 05:28
Yasmine

Written by Kennoth on 28.04.2011 at 04:22

Honestly? I wouldn't know how to react myself. I mean, I wouldn't mind friendship and all that, but something else? It would probably haunt my mind...

Like I said, my bf knows and this is how he thinks of it, we met just once 4-5 years ago through a friend. So he never knew me before the changes so he says he has nothing to remember or think about. I do agree that if he knew me before it might be strange for us both.
----
29.04.2011 - 01:34
ADIresiduos

No, metal is not a homophobic genre, that's a personal thing we all have; some people have trouble dealing with it , some don't... metal is about music and attitude. Of course, it would be odd to see a metalhead acting very feminine in a metal concert, but what the heck, it would be his own business, so...
I guess that any sexual preference you have is your own business... again, the first example that comes to my mind is the great Rob Halford; although he doesn't "look" gay at all when performing or on interviews, he still is, but just keeps it to himself and his private life. And he will still be one of the greatest heavy metal singers.
So, for all gay metalheads, don't think of yourselves as gay metalheads... just metalheads... period.
29.04.2011 - 03:28
Yasmine

^ what he said, hate is a personal issue, even if expressed by some fans or some bands, its not a policy and doesn't effect the whole.
----
29.04.2011 - 08:43
whatsacow

Metal as a whole isn't homophobic, however I would stay away from nu metal. For homophobia and quality's sake.

As a generalisation, especially in the early stages of metal, a lot of the homophobia taken from the forefront of rap merged itself into the genre. Mainly in using "homo," "Fag", and "Cocksucker" as frequent insults in theirmusic. Some would see it as insulting.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
29.04.2011 - 16:11
Kennoth

Written by whatsacow on 29.04.2011 at 08:43

As a generalisation, especially in the early stages of metal, a lot of the homophobia taken from the forefront of rap merged itself into the genre. Mainly in using "homo," "Fag", and "Cocksucker" as frequent insults in theirmusic. Some would see it as insulting.

Well...Most nu-metal I listened doesn't use those slurs, and even then, like people said in the first page of the topic, it's hardly directed at gay people. Naturally that they could find it insulting though.
----
30.04.2011 - 09:10
whatsacow

Written by Kennoth on 29.04.2011 at 16:11

Written by whatsacow on 29.04.2011 at 08:43

Well...Most nu-metal I listened doesn't use those slurs, and even then, like people said in the first page of the topic, it's hardly directed at gay people. Naturally that they could find it insulting though.

I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that nu-metal has that stigmata lol. It's very hard to shake.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
30.04.2011 - 09:49
Yasmine

Written by whatsacow on 30.04.2011 at 09:10

I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that nu-metal has that stigmata lol. It's very hard to shake.

I think that's because it's generally more popular among the younger people. I think coming of age among males can cause this sort of thing among several of them trying to prove themselves. I mean looking back since transition I could've had it much worse than I actually did. It wasn't so bad.
----
30.04.2011 - 10:05
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Yeah, lot's of people my age, many of whom are nu metal fans, tend to be somewhat homophobic, or at least pretend to be in an attempt to impress their friends. If anybody says something that can somehow be interpreted as slightly homosexual, you will hear cries of, "FAG!!!!!!" from all around. I don't think that it has much to do with the music though, and has more to do with the fans of the music.
30.04.2011 - 10:27
Yasmine

Written by Guest on 30.04.2011 at 10:05

Yeah, lot's of people my age, many of whom are nu metal fans, tend to be somewhat homophobic, or at least pretend to be in an attempt to impress their friends. If anybody says something that can somehow be interpreted as slightly homosexual, you will hear cries of, "FAG!!!!!!" from all around. I don't think that it has much to do with the music though, and has more to do with the fans of the music.

Yes it is to impress their friends which I've always thought seemed homoerotic, males trying to impress males by being bigots. lol Coming out of the closet is not easy for most young people, but honestly the sooner you get through it the better, I came out as soon as I began testing out of high school. (Test out at the beginning of 12th grade). I didn't want to stick around and knowing I was leaving made things easier. I didn't come out to my parents though until this year. Really just a few months ago.
----
30.04.2011 - 12:20
whatsacow

I quite often say things like fag, homo, retard, and much much nastier things among friends. However, I would not consider myself a discriminatory person. It's a joke. And saying it among friends as a joke I find acceptable. And there is also nothing wrong with pushing the boundaries, and having offensive humour. However, when the derogatory comments are aimed at someone or a group of someones, that is where the problem is. For instance, I dn't think the creators of south park, or family guy etc. are racist or homophobic.
And another genre for homosexuals (and most other people for that matter) is NSBM.
----
30.04.2011 - 13:46
Yasmine

Well those shows make fun of both sides of the "fence" nothing like that exists for metal. I mean how many groups of kids are going to accept a gay guy and his boyfriend hanging around? I mean with females sure, but with mostly males? But agree the music is not the problem, tis the fans.
----
30.04.2011 - 15:00
Kennoth

Written by whatsacow on 30.04.2011 at 12:20

I quite often say things like fag, homo, retard, and much much nastier things among friends. However, I would not consider myself a discriminatory person. It's a joke. And saying it among friends as a joke I find acceptable. And there is also nothing wrong with pushing the boundaries, and having offensive humour. However, when the derogatory comments are aimed at someone or a group of someones, that is where the problem is. For instance, I dn't think the creators of south park, or family guy etc. are racist or homophobic.
And another genre for homosexuals (and most other people for that matter) is NSBM.

Yeah, I do that sometimes too. No need to apologize for calling your friend a homo or fag, that's just an inside thing.
----
30.04.2011 - 21:09
Yasmine

Well the thing is I experienced more phobia from non-metal heads by a long long way than I ever did from metalheads I knew. Now I simply don't tell people and do have to worry about it, but most do. Most of the kids that messed with me weren't even jocks, they were those fake preppy kids. lol
----
30.04.2011 - 22:08
Richard 32

Thanks for asking this question! I was wondering the same thing. I sometimes feel like metal music attracts an anti-intellectual crowd of Neanderthals who are into metal for the angst and loud noises.

I am a straight man, but not particularly masculine. The stereotypes of a "man's man" always made me insecure growing up. I'm a fan of death metal and any other kind of metal - not because they are "masculine," but because I just love the music.

To me, having to assert your masculinity is a sign of insecurity or ignorance. If your masculine, fine, be masculine. And if your feminine, be feminine. Anything else is just posery.
30.04.2011 - 22:53
Yasmine

Written by Richard 32 on 30.04.2011 at 22:08

Thanks for asking this question! I was wondering the same thing. I sometimes feel like metal music attracts an anti-intellectual crowd of Neanderthals who are into metal for the angst and loud noises.

I am a straight man, but not particularly masculine. The stereotypes of a "man's man" always made me insecure growing up. I'm a fan of death metal and any other kind of metal - not because they are "masculine," but because I just love the music.

To me, having to assert your masculinity is a sign of insecurity or ignorance. If your masculine, fine, be masculine. And if your feminine, be feminine. Anything else is just posery.

I agree completely. I personally won't date a "man's man" imo they're outta touch with reality. And they certain can't tend to my needs in a relationship. But also imo I don't see why men who say they're hetero care about other men's view so much. I will tell you this though, through out transition and as a transsexual I never ever felt insecure about it at all. I am what I am, that's all there is to it.
----