Metal Storm logo
How long are you listening to metal?

Original post

Posted by , 22.01.2011 - 17:58
I have listening to metal for about three years now.From knowing about five to six bands then , now i listen to over 200!!!!!!!!!!

SO HAVE LONG ARE YOU LISTENING TO METAL? Months? Years? Decades? Centuries? Millenia?
11.07.2018 - 08:04
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Started since 11 listening nu-metal bands. Slowly evolving until 2010 when I checked Metallica, after that went more and more extreme. Until now.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
25.07.2018 - 07:52
I've been listening to and LOVING metal since 1988 when I was 12 and discovered Master of Puppets. Of course, I've moved on from Metallica, but it was s great start!!
04.08.2018 - 20:02
wildchild
Warchild
When I was kid I grew on a "church" based family. So rock had that "demon" aura haha. I doesn't even heard "metal" as a thing. I used to be mesmerised at music stores, seeing albums covers.

I loved Soundtrack albums tho. And, as almost all kids in 90's, I was into video games. So... that way the 1995 Mortal Kombat OST appeared. And Type O Negative and Fear Factory were my favorite tracks. And since I was a complete ignorant about rock/metal that was only "soundtrack music" for me - not rock. :lol:

When I moved to a bigger city (from 30k habitants to 300k habitants), I made friends into melodic metal. And the only music knowledge I had was my OST albums and what was on MTV. I started learning things and, holy shit. While my friends were into Edguy and Angra, I was into Fear Factory and Type O Negative.

I learned to love Children of Bodom with my friends. Find out Soilwork on magazines. And learned a lot of stuff with MetalStorm - where I discovered Katatonia.

These bands are my pillars since then. COB, Type O, Fear Factory, Soiwork and Katatonia.

PS: And I am not going on churches anymore
----
warchildpost.blogspot.com
12.09.2018 - 12:19
tillylawson

For the last 5 years
17.09.2018 - 05:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
As of the beginning of this month 39 years.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.09.2018 - 07:48
Sang Dalang Abu

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.09.2018 at 05:35

As of the beginning of this month 39 years.

10.11.2018 - 13:17
frequenzangriff

I am from 1978, listening to metal since i'm 6 years old
my mother left me to be babysat by the teenage neighbors (a boy and a girl) that used to listen to queen, mercyful fate, black sabbath, judas priest, motörhead, grave digger, helloween etc.

nowadays i listen mosty to melodic death, death-doom and some power metal

i have metal in my blood, and i will be a metal granpa
10.11.2018 - 21:32
Matriums

I've only been into metal for about 2 years, almost 3, and I was about 11 years old. I used to listen to alternative/rock/post-hardcore/emo, and one day I suddenly just wanted to get into heavier music, and so I did. Slipknot and Slayer were a couple of my first bands, and I'm still branching out to heavier music to this day
12.11.2018 - 20:04
Sang Dalang Abu

European are the luckiest, they can listen to good damn best genre, even in their '6'. And I'm the sad guy I started to listen and learning to music especially metal in the late of my '17'. Metal isn't not really "rare" here, just uncommon.
13.11.2018 - 08:33
Ball Fondlers

20 years for me. I moved to a new school and one kid was asking me about what music I'm into, which I replied "nothing, I don't like anything". He couldn't believe it and started pushing Iron Maiden down my throat. I didn't really buy it, so he got me onto metallica which I liked and was familiar with. But it wasn't until I heard Entombed's "To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" that I was suddenly hooked. It wasn't even their most popular album, but I still listen to it today
10.12.2018 - 13:56
Gween Giant

I have been listening to heavy metal since 2015 and the first band I ever listened to was Avenged Sevenfold and the song was Nightmare.
13.12.2018 - 21:14
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by EricksonFerry on 13.12.2018 at 07:20

Thank you for sharing

You're welcome!
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
14.01.2019 - 21:08
Quatropus

For me, it's been about 22 to 24 years. My parents divorced when I was a young age and so my mom eventually remarried to a man in the Navy. We would sit in his truck and listen to stuff like Metallica, Iced Earth, Megadeth, etc. A few years later, I started getting into other stuff like Dying Fetus, Slipknot, Deftones, Tool, etc. When they divorced, my brother and I separated homes (I went with my mom and he went with our dad). When I went to go move in with them years later, my brother introduced me to things I never knew existed before like Blind Guardian, Old Mans Child, Nile, Cradle of Filth, and these bands along with DirectTV music channel, helped me discover more bands like Children of Bodom, Devin Townsend, Soilwork, Disarmonia Mundi, Mirrorthrone, etc. Then went through my weird 15 to 18 year old phase where I didn't listen to much anything good. I kinda cut out Metal, not entirely but I fell into my Scene phase. Eventually when I finished school, I kinda went back to Metal where I left off but started to research and experience unknown and unique shit. That leaves me where I am today where a lot of those old bands I still admire but I also enjoy stuff like Heretoir, Astronoid, Drewsif Stalin's Musical Endeavors, Utopian Visions of Earth, Wolfhorde, Twelve Foot Ninja, Shades of Black, Rolo Tomassi, etc.
18.01.2019 - 15:27
Heavy Metta

The last year of high school was the year I became a metalhead. It was '96 and "Until it Sleeps" and "The Beautiful People" were on MTV. MTV was so important back then and really helped to shape my tastes, my earliest memory of noticing proper metal was Slayer's "Seasons in the Abyss" video. I started buying metal magazines. My first proper metal album was Dusk & Her Embrace by Cradle of Filth. I bought a copy of Machine Head's Burn My Eyes from a kid at school. I remember Evil Empire by RATM being the best thing ever. The Nu Metal boom was on the horizon. The next year me and my mates would be going to the local rock night. First concert was in '99. It's a bit mental to think it's been so long.
----
Last Gig: Max & Igor Cavalera (w/ Conan)
Upcoming (maybe): In Flames, Parkway Drive, Bloodstock Festival, Arctangent Festival, Damnation Festival 2021, Meshuggah, and 2 Orange Goblin livestreams
18.01.2019 - 15:43
Dungeon Shaker

I'm coming up on twenty years now.
----
www.thunderousvoices.com
17.02.2019 - 09:44
Nefarious
Doom Knight
It's been about 24 years now for me.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
23.02.2019 - 16:57
Tymorn

For me, 37 years (since 1982) of ear bashing and still as fresh and exciting as day one.
Couldn't live without it..
It really is 'fuel for life' !
26.02.2019 - 18:42
jk666

Since 1983
27.07.2019 - 18:10
MetalstormBANatm

Since 2002
29.08.2019 - 20:19
Marla 1976

Written by Tymorn on 23.02.2019 at 16:57

For me, 37 years (since 1982) of ear bashing and still as fresh and exciting as day one.
Couldn't live without it..
It really is 'fuel for life' !

I grew up on "Hair Metal". I was a metalhead as a teenage girl. From early 1988 until early 1994. My favorite bands were Cinderella, Poison,Guns N Roses, Warrant, Winger, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Slaughter, Skid Row, Ratt, FireHouse, Motley Crue and Aerosmith. My older sister( 4 years older than me) was into hard rock and Heavy Metal so i always heard things around the house like Ratt , Motley Crue , Def Leppard, Quiet Riot , Dokken , Judas Priest , W.A.S.P., etc. .

So i started listening to bands like aforementeioned , as well as bands like Bon Jovi, Poison , Cinderella , Whitesnake ( i absolutely loved Jon Bon Jovi when i was 11 year old). Alot of teenagers were into Heavy Metal back than so it wasn't hard to turned onto new bands all the time. I went to my 1st Motley Crue concert with my older sister when I was 14. You can call me old all you want but these kids today will never know what it's like to see your favorite band for 11bucks in a sold out stadium or the thrill of buying your favorite album. loved Sebastian Bach and still do he's a bombshell, and had a life like poster on my door in the bedroom yummy, I also was in love with Vince Neil, Bret Michaels , Axl Rose, Mark Slaughter , Jon Bon Jovi , Kip Winger , Tom Keifer , Jani Lane ...
16.09.2019 - 15:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
As of the beginning of this month 40 years.
Damn, that's a long time.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.09.2019 - 17:25
Fabiano

I have been listeniong to metal since college, so it has been 6-7 years now.
At first i only listened to power metal, then two years ago I started to really enjoy death vocals, so now I listen to a lot of bands of different subgenres
It is thanks to the adults I got around me during sport trips when I was around 9-10 yrs old that i got into metal. they were listening to bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation, so for me metal was the real music. I was lucky.
27.09.2019 - 07:51
UBC_sara

Hi everyone!

My research partner is a huge metal fan and has recently introduced me to some music that i'm starting to warm up to! We are interested in research about metal musicians and have created a study to investigate this interest. We are researchers from the University of British Columbia (Canada). If you are interested in participating please take the survey (linked below) where you will be asked you about your favourite musicians. It's a fun and interesting study, and should take no more than 10-15 minutes to complete. Thanks in advance for your participation, and please feel free to share with other metal fans!

Link to Survey:  https://ubc.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_06ssfxGEhZ7Kr7n

- BAR Lab research team, UBC
27.02.2020 - 06:20
A couple of months. Like Fabiano, Nightwish was my gateway band.
24.03.2020 - 22:42
womanowar

Its been 9 years.
19.09.2021 - 08:14
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
I mainly remember my introduction to thrash metal most, I think my first introduction was to Metallica Saint Anger when it was released, I think I was about 13? a friend of mine in school said Metallica were amazing so I should get that album, and I remember listening to it for the first time and thinking this is rubbish!, luckily I delved deeper into their discogrophy a few years later, at the time I think I was about 16, and my opinion on them changed once I heard Ride The Lightning, after that I started listening to Megadeth and Slayer. I never really got into their album's released around that time, I always had a thing for the 80's era.
24.09.2021 - 14:34
metalvletal

Hello everyone, share with me the best albums that you have heard in your life.
25.09.2021 - 13:07
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by metalvletal on 24.09.2021 at 14:34

Hello everyone, share with me the best albums that you have heard in your life.

All you need to do is check my list of favorite albums
25.09.2021 - 13:17
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
(Copied from a previous post I've made on this site):
I've been a metal fan since 2018 or 2019.
Here's more background about how I got into metal:
Up until about 2015 I listened mainly to contemporary pop music. Although I also enjoyed some rock music like One Republic and Linkin Park.
But then I happened to come across the band Arctic Monkeys (alternative rock/ indie rock) That was my first exposure to more underground/not-so-well-known music - so basically away from the radio-music. After listening to the similar band Last Shadow Puppets, I discovered Muse, which is a bit closer to metal music, I'd say. After the movie Guardians of the Galaxy came out, I started researching older music. That led me to hard rock such as AC/DC, Blue Oyster Cult, Nirvana, etc. I probably heard at some point songs like "Enter Sandman" or "The Trooper", but they hadn't clicked with me yet. I think someone had even shown me the awesome riff of Raining Blood but I didn't look further into it.
Finally, one day in late 2018/early 2019, one of my friends at school showed me the songs "Electric Eye" and "(Take These) Chains" by Judas Priest. That sparked my interest in metal. I looked up the Screaming for Vengeance album on YouTube, and soon was recommended Defenders of the Faith. I absolutely loved the fast pace, the wild yet melodic guitar playing, the energetic vocals - and the overall fun that was in every song!
After that, I listened to individual classics such as Holy Diver, Heaven and Hell, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Hallowed Be Thy Name. Interestingly enough, I didn't like Iron Maiden at first. Their songs were too long for me. So I basically sticked to Metallica, Judas Priest, Dio, and Black Sabbath for the rest of 2019. I also discovered Pink Floyd, which I really liked - especially their instrumental work like on Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Echoes, and the solos on Time and Comfortably Numb.
In summer of 2020 there was another turning point when I discovered Megadeth's Rust in Peace album. Megadeth suddenly became my new favorite and I devoured their classic songs. I also gave Iron Maiden another chance and fell in love with Somewhere in Time and Powerslave.
At the end of 2020/beginning of 2021 I researched what the greatest metal albums are to see if I was missing anything. That's how I found Metal Storm, where I saw that bands like Death and Opeth, which I'd never heard before were among the top ten... the rest is history !
By using both YouTube recommendations and the Metal Storm lists, I started discovering more albums and bands that I had previously never heard of (Crimson by Edge of Sanity, Storm of the Light's Bane by Dissection, IVth Crusade by Bolt Thrower, Beneath the Remains by Sepultura, At the Heart of Winter by Immortal, Jester Race by In Flames, etc etc).
In conclusion, I'm really glad I discovered Metal - now it's basically the only type of music I ever want to listen to... and it was all thanks to a chance occurrence at school.
I hope you (and who ever else reads this) liked my long anecdote. Cheers