Metal Storm logo
How long are you listening to metal?

22.01.2011 - 17:58
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
I have listening to metal for about three years now.From knowing about five to six bands then , now i listen to over 200!!!!!!!!!!

SO HAVE LONG ARE YOU LISTENING TO METAL? Months? Years? Decades? Centuries? Millenia?
22.01.2011 - 18:05
ANGEL REAPER
Since the dawn of time....

Seriously about 7 years I enjoy this fantastic music which become the part of my life....
As far as discovering bands I tend to stick to a things that I like so now I still listen to no more than 10-12 bands....
I search for finest quality so its damn hard for a band to get on my favorites list ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
22.01.2011 - 18:07
Luneth
Account deleted
500 light years and 12 milenia.
22.01.2011 - 20:48
RavenKing
I started listening to metal around the time Iron Maiden released their first album, so I guess we can say I've been listening to metal for 30 years. However, until the mid-80s, I mixed it a lot with hard rock (a genre I totally abandoned around 1986-1988, when I got more fully into metal, especially more aggressive metal genres).
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
22.01.2011 - 23:32
IronAngel
I'm surprised. I did the math, and it turns out I've been listening to metal for about ten years. That's almost half my life. I can't remember when exactly it started, but I know for sure that I was a fan by the end of 2001.

That said, I hardly listened to any metal at all for a few years (save for a few old favorites). I've only recently gotten back into metal, and even now it's the more experimental stuff that interests me. I stopped identifying myself primarily as a metalhead maybe four years ago.
23.01.2011 - 01:09
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Longer than anyone who posted above me (raven king aside) has been alive...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.01.2011 - 01:33
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 23.01.2011 at 01:09

Aww I feel young now.
23.01.2011 - 01:44
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
For only about five or six years. Before that I didn't really listen to a lot of music. Now I listen to a lot of music, not just metal...but yeah, still mostly metal though.
23.01.2011 - 02:17
I_Die_Often

I'm right there with Raven King...
Started listening to the Heaviest things I could find, starting around 1978.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
23.01.2011 - 02:42
RavenKing
Written by I_Die_Often on 23.01.2011 at 02:17

I'm right there with Raven King...
Started listening to the Heaviest things I could find, starting around 1978.

But you probably remember things I can't remember. Or you can remember them more clearly, as you're 7 years older than me. I was still very young in the early 80s.
As for the 70s, I think the only thing I remember very clearly, as for music, is ABBA.

People like you and Marcel make me feel younger. On some boards, I'm probably the oldest member but not here. This is something I like on this board. I can meet people my age or older or only 4-5 years younger. Being on boards where nearly everyone is 15-20 (or even more) years younger than me is not necessarily a problem, as I'm quite tolerant with young people, but sometimes it makes me feel a bit old. Seeing older people on boards makes me feel 'not so old after all'.
----
23.01.2011 - 04:25
soadbyob
Account deleted
Well technically since I was in the womb. My mom blared Metallitca and AC/DC my entire life. But I really got into music when I first heard BYOB by SOAD in 2005. I was 13, so 5 years.
23.01.2011 - 04:34
I_Die_Often
Quote:
People like you and Marcel make me feel younger. On some boards, I'm probably the oldest member but not here. This is something I like on this board. I can meet people my age or older or only 4-5 years younger. Being on boards where nearly everyone is 15-20 (or even more) years younger than me is not necessarily a problem, as I'm quite tolerant with young people, but sometimes it makes me feel a bit old. Seeing older people on boards makes me feel 'not so old after all'.

Then you need to contribute to the Old Fart Metalstormers Forum too!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
23.01.2011 - 06:26
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Since 1988, when I heard Iron Maiden on the radio. I had gotten into rock the previous year, but 1988 was when my love for metal really began. So 22 years! Which isn't centuries, although it does feel like it sometimes. lol
23.01.2011 - 10:10
ForeverDarkWoods
Going on 7 or 8 years or so. By that I would mean REALLY listening to metal though. There are a few metal bands (namelly Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Saxon and Iron Maiden), that I've practically listened to since I was 7 (counting that, it would be around 13 years). Didn't actually get any deeper into metal at this point though, or know what it actually was I listened to. So I guess if I said 7 or 8 years, that would be the closest to the truth.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
23.01.2011 - 10:28
Metallicazoom
About 10 years, And I favorite type is old school

Best regards,

Dio
----
There's no greater sorrow, than recall happiness in times of misery ......
23.01.2011 - 21:35
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 23.01.2011 at 06:26

Since 1988, when I heard Iron Maiden on the radio. I had gotten into rock the previous year, but 1988 was when my love for metal really began. So 22 years! Which isn't centuries, although it does feel like it sometimes. lol
I feel so young

Only 3 years for me. Before that, it was pure classical XD
----
loves 小巫
23.01.2011 - 21:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ag Fox on 23.01.2011 at 21:35
I feel so young

Yes, thanks for reminding me of being old. lol

I like classical music as well. xD
23.01.2011 - 22:30
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 23.01.2011 at 21:44

Written by Ag Fox on 23.01.2011 at 21:35
I feel so young

Yes, thanks for reminding me of being old. lol

I like classical music as well. xD
You're welcome XD
You see, I was born on that year
----
loves 小巫
24.01.2011 - 00:57
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Since I was a little kid, 1992 I think. My older family members were a bad influence
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
24.01.2011 - 01:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ag Fox on 23.01.2011 at 22:30
You see, I was born on that year

1988? Yep go on, rub it in... lol
24.01.2011 - 02:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Since August 1979, so that 31.5 years by now. And since I am 42 that is about three quarters if my life. and I have been going mor underground the last five years than ever before.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.01.2011 - 02:20
RavenKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.01.2011 at 02:13

Since August 1979, so that 31.5 years by now. And since I am 42 that is about three quarters if my life. and I have been going mor underground the last five years than ever before.

I wouldn't say it is 3/4 of my life, since I spend my entire days at work and I have many other things to do but, if I look back at the last 20 years, many things changed in my life and one of the only things that have been constant and never got out of my life is metal.

But I think that's not what you mean by this 3/4 thing. You mean you've been listening to metal for 3/4 of the years you've been alive, isn't it? It's about the same ratio for me.
----
24.01.2011 - 02:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Yeah I have and niwadays it is solely metal I listen to (in all its forms) I don't believe in ecltisi/m, tha*s for the feebel minded who can't make up their mind. There is more than enough variation within metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.01.2011 - 05:06
TheCryingOrc
For about 10 years now but only properly for 7 or 8 years. Started with few Metallica songs when I was 13 or 14 then a mate gave me Iron Maiden - Edward The Great when I was about 15 and then started exploring more and listening to a lot more metal when I was 16. Thanks for this thread, it's made me reminisce a lot.
----
Amber streams from Sol
Are not unlike the waves of the sea
Nor the endless horizon of ice
24.01.2011 - 07:06
JCJen7
I have only been listening to metal for about a year and a half. Metallica's ...And Justice for All and Iron Maiden's Number of the Best started it out for me.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
24.01.2011 - 11:49
Nefarious
Doom Knight
staff
Hmmn well i grew up listening to all my dads records such as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc so ive been listening to metal since i was born But i would say i really got into metal on my own in 1995, so 16 years now
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
24.01.2011 - 18:07
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
Gosh! I've been listening for more than three years by now and there are only two genres i still haven't touched:
Classic Heavy Metal
Gothic Metal

Yes I haven't heard a single metal album by Iron maiden (the band it seems that introduced most people to metal)
24.01.2011 - 19:48
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Guest on 24.01.2011 at 18:07

Gosh! I've been listening for more than three years by now and there are only two genres i still haven't touched:
Classic Heavy Metal
Gothic Metal

Yes I haven't heard a single metal album by Iron maiden (the band it seems that introduced most people to metal)

you should... btw Iron Maiden is NWOBHM clasics are even older...
RavenKing am I right?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
24.01.2011 - 20:04
IronAngel
Classic just means something widely acknowledged as a standard of quality, usually relatively aged. In music, that can be something as fresh as ten years old. Iron Maiden is NWOBHM, but it's not wrong to call them a classic heavy metal band. You can't really use "classic" as a genre label, because that'd make everyone who plays similar music a classic. But yes, no reason not to listen to Iron Maiden and especially older classics!
24.01.2011 - 20:08
ANGEL REAPER
Written by IronAngel on 24.01.2011 at 20:04

Classic just means something widely acknowledged as a standard of quality, usually relatively aged. In music, that can be something as fresh as ten years old. Iron Maiden is NWOBHM, but it's not wrong to call them a classic heavy metal band. You can't really use "classic" as a genre label, because that'd make everyone who plays similar music a classic. But yes, no reason not to listen to Iron Maiden and especially older classics!

ok explained by someone more literate than me
btw thanks
----