02. Norwegian Gothic
03. Providence
04. September IV
05. England
06. Island
07. Stone Angels

Featured in "Getting Into: Ulver"

Additional info
Recorded in Crystal Canyon Studios, Oslo, Norway & Orgone Studios, London, England.
Orgone session engineered by Jaime Gomez Arellano.
All tracks mixed by John Fryer, Empire Recording Rooms, Oslo, Norway, except track 7 mixed by O'Sullivan at the Johnstone House, London, England.
Mastered by Espen Berg, Livingroom Studios, Oslo, Norway.

Cover by Trine + Kim Design Studio.

"Stone Angels" is written by Keith Waldrop and was first published as a chapbook by the American small press Ibstress in 1997. Reprinted with permission from the author.

Release dates: April 25th - UK, May 3rd - USA.

Staff review by
BitterCOld
Rating:
Oh those wolves. Those tricky Norwegians, Ulver, are back. Blah blah blah. I'm not going to mince words retracing their evolution and I'll assume you've passed the 101 class. Lesson not needed.

I have enjoyed the vast majority of their sonic journey, and their last, 2007's Shadows Of The Sun was one of my absolute favorite releases of that year. To say I was eagerly anticipating this album would be a massive understatement.

Read more ››
published 29.04.2011 | Comments (31)

The Wolves are back and their latest represents sort of a culmination of their work in the past dozen years. "SotS" has the loudest (softest?) influence, with this album having the same mellow feel as their last album, as well as the Silence EPs. The album is more sporadic than it's predecessor. Garm gets joined by a female vocalist on a couple songs. Others see 'real' instrumentation, or the occasional cacophonous outburst reminiscent of moments of "Blood Inside". The album closes with the near 15 minute track that is almost a spoken word poem coupled with ambient background noise. Not a wild left turn for the band, but more the culmination of a process.

BitterCOld's picks | More picks ››

Found in 8 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 45   Visited by: 690 users
26.01.2011 - 05:51
eximius
One of the best bands out there. Every single album has it's own story and style and no one can actually predict how the next one will be. I'm really waiting for it
05.03.2011 - 01:52
Rating: 9
ravendeath
Big hopes for this one!
10.03.2011 - 14:34
MechanisT
Account deleted
Cannot wait for this...
10.03.2011 - 23:40
BloodFireDeath
Yeah this album will most likely be very good. But how though
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
26.03.2011 - 01:52
Rating: 7
Jiri
No! This can't be happening! This album sucks! Horrible! Only Febuary MMX brings anything to the table! Ahhh! We waited four years for a worse version of Shadows of the Sun! It probably took one hour to write and reord! FUCK! Fuck you Garm! You used to be so cool...
26.03.2011 - 17:20
Jiri
Written by Guest on 26.03.2011 at 15:17

Written by Jiri on 26.03.2011 at 01:52

No! This can't be happening! This album sucks! Horrible! Only Febuary MMX brings anything to the table! Ahhh! We waited four years for a worse version of Shadows of the Sun! It probably took one hour to write and reord! FUCK! Fuck you Garm! You used to be so cool...

Isn't Garm your god or some sort of a worship-worth-man?
Haven't heard it yet, but I suggest you to reset your mind and return to it later. Maybe it grows a bit?
How Shadows Of The Sun was it?

Yes, Garm is probably my favorite musician of all time. However, I like him for his unique, ever-changing singing styles. Here, he sounds like he did on Shadows of the Sun which is the worst Garm record and worst Garm voice by far in my opinion. So, I am not a retarded lemming who will love everything a certain musician does just because he or she is behind it. I have my reasons for loving almost all Garm records and I have my reasons for disliking his letdowns. For example, I believe his singing on The Sham Mirrors was kind of dull, boring, lame, unexciting, etc. He could have done much better like his awesome falsetto performance on Blood Inside.

But yeah, my friend, I should probably listen to it again. I know for a fact the last track which is one-third of the whole album is complete garbage. It is just a very corny narration piece done by Dan O' Sullivan for 15 minutes. "Norwegian Gothic" was one of the worst songs I have heard in my life. This song was very boring and worse than any of the boring "Shadows" songs. So now I am stuck with five short songs to try to get into. As I said before, Febuary MMX is very good and is actually fun to listen to. Right now, it is the best track on here by far. The rest of the album is just "Shadows of the Sun" 2. You will listen and discover the horrible truth. Unless you really, really liked the "Shadows" sound, you most likely will not enjoy this.

Sorry for the novel
28.03.2011 - 00:47
Jiri
Written by Guest on 27.03.2011 at 20:26

Written by Jiri on 26.03.2011 at 17:20

Written by Guest on 26.03.2011 at 15:17

Written by Jiri on 26.03.2011 at 01:52

Isn't Garm your god or some sort of a worship-worth-man?
Haven't heard it yet, but I suggest you to reset your mind and return to it later. Maybe it grows a bit?
How Shadows Of The Sun was it?

Yes, Garm is probably my favorite musician of all time. However, I like him for his unique, ever-changing singing styles. Here, he sounds like he did on Shadows of the Sun which is the worst Garm record and worst Garm voice by far in my opinion. So, I am not a retarded lemming who will love everything a certain musician does just because he or she is behind it. I have my reasons for loving almost all Garm records and I have my reasons for disliking his letdowns. For example, I believe his singing on The Sham Mirrors was kind of dull, boring, lame, unexciting, etc. He could have done much better like his awesome falsetto performance on Blood Inside.

But yeah, my friend, I should probably listen to it again. I know for a fact the last track which is one-third of the whole album is complete garbage. It is just a very corny narration piece done by Dan O' Sullivan for 15 minutes. "Norwegian Gothic" was one of the worst songs I have heard in my life. This song was very boring and worse than any of the boring "Shadows" songs. So now I am stuck with five short songs to try to get into. As I said before, Febuary MMX is very good and is actually fun to listen to. Right now, it is the best track on here by far. The rest of the album is just "Shadows of the Sun" 2. You will listen and discover the horrible truth. Unless you really, really liked the "Shadows" sound, you most likely will not enjoy this.

Sorry for the novel

It's good to know you're not a retarded lemming I guess Garm
is my favorite vocalist too. Who knows, maybe it happens with me too... I mean a disappointment for not bringing something new to the table. I think I've now listened "February MMX" two times; first time it went by just thinking "this is just one part of the album and I shouldn't really stick too much into it without knowing the purpose, place and context in the album", and the second time I was "okey, it's a single release on purpose anyway, so guess I could listen it again: it was good but still nothing magnificent". I've now decided to just buy the album and listen the whole thing many times. Continuation to Shadows of the Sun as an album sounds fine to me, but of course I would like this everchanging stream full of surprises and visions create an album which might expand my personal musical world.

What comes to vocals in The Sham Mirrors, I think those are great too. When in Blood Inside it is at some points that Garm sings and creates the atmosphere in a way that the music almost spiritually lives with him, in The Sham Mirrors (which is of course by another band) I feel the actual music is the pushing force and Garm's ultracatchy (-funky, -whatever) vocals just rock with it, and yet it's almost like a different layer of divine, absolutely fitting vocals, which live on its own as well. Anyway, I'm looking forwards to this album enthusiastically with almost empty table. Keep writing more novels

Thank you for your novel It shows you care bout ol' Jiri

Yeah, I have grown to like "England" now anyway. September IV is good despite Garm's sucky vocals. I do enjoy the overall music but Garm just can't sing anymore. This release would be fine if a it contained a different vocalist, but this is just wasting a precious Garm album. Four years of his life are gone and he has this boring vocal performance to show for it. After four years of waiting, I would like to see Garm sing with some damned effort! Though, I do think he might have done too much of this: and hence destroying his once beautiful voice. Maybe he is not to blame. Maybe he flat out cannot sing anymore. Though he sang well on the Dimmu Borgir song and Febuary MMX. Oh well, I will keep listening to it and hope I can like it.

I guess I just want him to sing like he used too; using that excellent bass/baritone voice he possesses. I am not one of those close-minded metalheads that only wants to hear him in metal music either. I loved every release that feautures his voice up to "Shadows". Songs like "Vowels" are great because he sings so well. I just can't get into this new breathy, boring, unethusiastic voice he is using for this release and "Shadows". Though I do have a sneaking suspicion this album was written mainly for "live show" purposes as Garm really struggles to sing live. Therefore, if he slacks on the album, he can slack live.
29.03.2011 - 15:30
Kenos
Account deleted
Ok, a good quality version of the album has finally leaked.
One of my albums of the year so far. Always different from the past works, it's very refined, polished, tranquil, mysterious, with a "natural" feeling and a neoclassical touch... I really can't see any fillers or flaws here (except for the last 3-4 secs of "Island", what's that shit?!).
At first when I saw the cover artwork I expected something similar to "Blood Inside", and actually when I heard "February MMX" I almost got that impression... Yet this album is very far from the chaotic/twisted "BIood..", and at the same time it has nothing to do with the tragic, sorrowful mood of "Shadows Of The Sun"... In other words, "wolves evolve once again". I'm absolutely satisfied. They NEVER disappoint me.
05.04.2011 - 17:40
Rating: 8
INÆRIS
I'm still waiting for the release date to hear the album. My vinyl record shipped already though so I'll probably get it sooner. I'm very excited.
----
Still Life, Still Death
24.04.2011 - 22:58
MechanisT
Account deleted
Okay, heard the album. What can I say? The first impressions are definitely positive, although I have some nagging issues against the album as well. The last track was an epic bore to my ears. They could've easily replaced that song with two shorter ones. In addition, I feel that the album opener should've been "Norwegian Gothic", preceded by "February MMX", to aid the listener as the album picks up the pace. Those are semi-trivial issues though, really. I'm thoroughly enjoying the album thus far.
25.04.2011 - 00:11
Kenos
Account deleted
It is a very strange record, by the way. Technically very simple and minimal, sometimes dissonant... But it doesn't stir emotions immediately.
And I love albums which need a lot of time to be fully grasped.
25.04.2011 - 00:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.04.2011 at 22:58

Okay, heard the album. What can I say? The first impressions are definitely positive, although I have some nagging issues against the album as well. The last track was an epic bore to my ears. They could've easily replaced that song with two shorter ones. In addition, I feel that the album opener should've been "Norwegian Gothic", preceded by "February MMX", to aid the listener as the album picks up the pace. Those are semi-trivial issues though, really. I'm thoroughly enjoying the album thus far.

It's a weird album (as Kenos says). The only time I really noticed it was playing was on the last track with the talking which kinda reminded me of the last Axis of Perdition record, obviously I'm sure the lyrical content was a bit less nasty and vile. I'm not sure I liked that track though, it was hella long and unnecessary but the rest I could probably give another spin or two I reckon.
25.04.2011 - 00:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.04.2011 at 00:11

True words indeed.
25.04.2011 - 00:49
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.04.2011 at 00:43

Written by Guest on 24.04.2011 at 22:58

It's a weird album (as Kenos says). The only time I really noticed it was playing was on the last track with the talking which kinda reminded me of the last Axis of Perdition record, obviously I'm sure the lyrical content was a bit less nasty and vile. I'm not sure I liked that track though, it was hella long and unnecessary but the rest I could probably give another spin or two I reckon.

Yeah, definitely a quirky album, a good one in fact, and that's relieving. I have no qualms whatsoever about the other tracks in general. I quite enjoyed them in the first listen, which personally means that they already have a good base quality from which more pleasure can be derived. Still unsure why "Norwegian Gothic" could not be used as an opener, though. That would have made the tempo transitions smoother, in my opinion.
25.04.2011 - 00:51
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.04.2011 at 00:45

Written by Guest on 25.04.2011 at 00:11

True words indeed.

Seconded.
25.04.2011 - 15:14
Luneth
Account deleted
Interesting album...dunno why it reminded me of Final Fantasy at times...but I like that!
25.04.2011 - 18:53
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
I have been a big Ulver fan since at least 2001. I even have a Ulver half sleeve tattoo done.
This album is great, Why some of you are mad about it, I don't know. I know Garm said that it was going to be a pop album.
25.04.2011 - 18:54
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Why are most of you mad about this album right now? When they were writing it I seem to remember that Garm said it will be a Pop album. The song previews and everything even proved that.
25.04.2011 - 20:27
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.04.2011 at 18:54

Why are most of you mad about this album right now? When they were writing it I seem to remember that Garm said it will be a Pop album. The song previews and everything even proved that.

Don't see any pop in here, dude. It's pretty much electro-avantgarde, if you ask me.
25.04.2011 - 20:28
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.04.2011 at 20:27

Don't see any pop in here, dude. It's pretty much as electro-avantgarde, if you ask me.

If you classify music into millions of different genres, then sure. I keep it simple. In all reality Genre really doesn't matter.
25.04.2011 - 20:31
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.04.2011 at 20:28

Don't see any pop in here, dude. It's pretty much as electro-avantgarde, if you ask me.

If you classify music into millions of different genres, then sure. I keep it simple. In all reality Genre really doesn't matter.

Yeah, guess so, though "pop" reminds me of the Keshas and Gagas, y'know? Just saying. Excellent album, whatever the genre is, though.
25.04.2011 - 20:32
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.04.2011 at 20:31

Yeah, guess so, though "pop" reminds me of the Keshas and Gagas, y'know? Just saying. Excellent album, whatever the genre is, though.

I'm just going off of what the guys in Ulver said themselves.
25.04.2011 - 20:34
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.04.2011 at 20:32

Really? They said that themselves? Don't know what to make of it, to be honest.
25.04.2011 - 20:45
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.04.2011 at 20:34

It shouldn't matter. Need to get the whole genre meaning out of your head. Forget genres, your music experience will be much better.
25.04.2011 - 20:55
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.04.2011 at 20:45

Written by Guest on 25.04.2011 at 20:34

It shouldn't matter. Need to get the whole genre meaning out of your head. Forget genres, your music experience will be much better.

I rate music above all. I don't let the issue of genre overwhelm my musical experience. As I said earlier, I was just curious.
25.04.2011 - 21:55
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
That's a lot of quotes...

anyways, good album. Been enjoying this so far...
26.04.2011 - 01:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I think we need something in the FAQ regarding how to properly quote a user...

EDIT: uh, on-topic... I have yet to listen to this album...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.05.2011 - 23:15
Kenos
Account deleted
The only reason I'd raise my rating from 9 to 10 is "Stone Angels". I think that if Ulver had decided to close the last 15 minutes of "Wars" with some "normal" songs like the others, it wouldn't have been the same.
It moved me to tears. I read a lot of complaints about it all around the web: "boring", "nothing really happens", "annoying spoken word", "too long"... And so on.

Guys... Remember: Ulver are also the authors of that 'musicaliterary' (sorry for the neologism) opus named "Themes From William Blake's The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell", and "Stone Angels" is here to recall it.
This mean that, once again, music itself cannot prescind from the words by which it is not only "accompanied", but also LED.
Don't listen to it as if you're listening to any other song. Read (and comprehend) the poem while "Stone Angels" goes on. It will give the music shape, imagery, sense. And those flat 15 minutes of boring ambiance and spoken words will start becoming something different...

It may sound pathetic, but if there really is a so-called "paradise", then I think it would sound like "Stone Angels".

"Our time is a river, theirs the glassy sea..."
04.05.2011 - 10:24
Rating: 8
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
A really good album. I don't feel like comparing it to "Shadows of the Sun". I think it stands firm as a standalone, well-balanced album.
And I must agree with Kenos - "Stone Angels" is an important track for the album and one has to get "into" it.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
06.05.2011 - 01:54
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.05.2011 at 23:15

The only reason I raised my rating from 9 to 10 is "Stone Angels". I think that if Ulver had decided to close the last 15 minutes of "Wars" with some "normal" songs like the others, it wouldn't have been the same.
It moved me to tears. I read a lot of complaints about it all around the web: "boring", "nothing really happens", "annoying spoken word", "too long"... And so on.

Guys... Remember: Ulver are also the authors of that 'musicaliterary' (sorry for the neologism) opus named "Themes From William Blake's The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell", and "Stone Angels" is here to recall it.
This mean that, once again, music itself cannot prescind from the words by which it is not only "accompanied", but also LED.
Don't listen to it as if you're listening to any other song. Read (and comprehend) the poem while "Stone Angels" goes on. It will give the music shape, imagery, sense. And those flat 15 minutes of boring ambiance and spoken words will start becoming something different...

It may sound pathetic, but if there really is a so-called "paradise", then I think it would sound like "Stone Angels".

"Our time is a river, theirs the glassy sea..."

Once again, my friend, you've succeeded in capturing my attention with your insightful description! Kudos! I've been disliking "Stone Angels" immensely thus far, but your interpretation has compelled me to think that there is some sort of "esotericism" to it. I myself don't want to miss out on any "special moments" that I may have ignored/missed up until now. Who knows? A second, consecutive "10" might even be on the cards here...
You really should review an album that you have strong feelings for. I'd be darn interesting to read.

Hits total: 19337 | This month: 34