05. Night Terrors
06. Sudden Death Is Nothing
07. Woman In The Woods
08. Visionquest
09. Habituary
10. The Recognition
11. Without Hope, Without Fear
12. Future Humans

I'm not sure why I am reviewing a Valient Thorr album. Don't get me wrong, I dig them and their straight-forward rock and roll rebellion meets metal style. The problem stems from the fact I've seen them live. Seeing them live is akin to watching a pride of lions terrorize the savanna, whereas attempting to capture all their frenetic energy into a studio is like watching those same lions at the local zoo. Both the zoo-lions and studio tracks are still powerful, awesome, and could conceivably tear you to pieces, but both still find themselves lacking when comparing that scenario against the band/pride where they belong ? in the wild.

Even still, it is easy to pop this on and imagine what it will sound like when Valient Himself is hopping around in his rad, red wrestling boots and the rest of the Thorriors are tearing it up on stage.

The approach is the same as Immortalizer - rock meets metal, loads of energy, upbeat music, lots of harmonized guitars, and, of course, solos. They rock. No. Scratch that. They RAWK. Valient's lyrical approach (Valient referencing Himself, not Thorr) is amusing. The songs are about journeying to the desert to gain wisdom, or awaking from the "slumber" of modern life to find something more underneath. It's like almost some hippie religious revival - only without hippies or religion.

There are three levels of songs on Stranger - the good, the awesome, and the filler. The bulk of the tracks on this release are a good time and, thus, fit in the good category. They are enjoyable. You will shake yer booty and raise the horns. There are also a couple "filler" tracks, those that are just not quite up to snuff.

And then there are the awesome tracks. Those special tracks when the band is on, synched up, and totally feeling it, as in "Sleeper Awakes" or "Habituary." These tracks can best be described as an ubertaco covered with mega cheese and Awesome Sauce (pat pending). Or perhaps they can also be described as "kick-down-the-poser-neighbor's-wall-and-impale-him-with-a-mic-stand" awesome, as seen here.

In the end, I am enjoying the disk, but not nearly as much as I will be enjoying watching the band kick out the jams when they are playing with Clutch and Motörhead in a few weeks.

Frankly, if you like the kind of rock/metal that would fit the background of that awesome party where everyone gets drunk, everyone gets laid, and the cops arrive - not to arrest partygoers, but to deliver more beer, they are worth checking out. And if you remotely like what you hear on your stereo (or computer), you definitely need to see them live.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 28.01.2011 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 163 users
28.01.2011 - 01:22
Gordon Freeman

Seen 'em live, opening for Mastodon. Been listening to Immortalizer almost non-stop since. Cannot wait to see them with Motorhead and freaking Clutch.

And yeah, the video for Double Crossed is ridiculous, and awesome, and ridiculously awesome.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
28.01.2011 - 21:15
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Gordon Freeman on 28.01.2011 at 01:22

Seen 'em live, opening for Mastodon. Been listening to Immortalizer almost non-stop since. Cannot wait to see them with Motorhead and freaking Clutch.

And yeah, the video for Double Crossed is ridiculous, and awesome, and ridiculously awesome.

the outtakes were amusing as well.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.01.2011 - 21:24
Qwynneth

This review just made everyone is our office laugh out loud. Great job and thanks for spreadin' the word, Thorriors!
----
...started hummin a song from 1962...
28.01.2011 - 21:27
Gordon Freeman

Written by BitterCOld on 28.01.2011 at 21:15

the outtakes were amusing as well.

Beautiful!
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
29.01.2011 - 05:05
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Qwynneth on 28.01.2011 at 21:24

This review just made everyone is our office laugh out loud. Great job and thanks for spreadin' the word, Thorriors!

Mission Accomplished. \m/
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.01.2011 - 02:59
Fat & Sassy!

After hearing that song, watching the music video, and reading this review... I'm pretty sure I am an instant fan. XD

Hits total: 6692 | This month: 6