Metal Storm logo
Manowar vs Rhapsody

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 30.01.2011 - 20:34
This should be an interesting one. Manowar are the original cheeses, but Rhapsody came onto the scene over ten year ago, and made metal more bombastic and cheesy than anyone had seen before. Rhapsody were on Manowar's record label, but after some disputes which included a prevention from Rhapsody performing live - they finally managed to get away onto another label.

I can't help but feel that Manowar were not too pleased to be out-cheesed, hence the restrictions put on the band. But this is just speculation. Let's find out who people like more - the original, or the modern.

Poll

Which is better?

Rhapsody Of Fire
Manowar

Total votes: 140
14.03.2011 - 09:31
BloodFireDeath
I do have to say that these are two dissimilar bands to be comparing? Are you drunk or just too arrogant to think that your opinions and ideas are too idiotic to NOT share with the rest of anyone Baz Anderson.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
14.03.2011 - 09:32
BloodFireDeath
Marcel I am waiting your response? where is your ignorant hate speech? I thought you would be done by now
----
14.03.2011 - 09:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by BloodFireDeath on 14.03.2011 at 09:23

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.03.2011 at 09:18

Written by BloodFireDeath on 14.03.2011 at 09:15

Manowar is very good and consistent with their writing and ideology whereas RoF is all over the place. I prefer Manowar

What ideology? How to suck the last penny out of your fans? How to be the biggest posers around?

I honestly dare you to say that to their face? How are they posers? Please explain to me in great detail? and do remember this is NOT the special olympics so you probably not win and feel good.

How they are posers? Just look at them. They pretend to be tough guys playng true metal when in fact the last couple of albums have hardly anything to do with metal. The way the blab aon about them being true and most of the rest bein false. They are posing to be something they are not, hence posers.
They don't give a shit about their fans and only after their money. Why else release a gazzilion more of the same dvd boxes (same applies for Iron maiden btw). Why else dare charge 60 beleeding euros for a club gig when the crowd gets nothing secial in return?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.03.2011 - 17:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
LOL, that dude can't use the edit button even if his life depended on it. It's funny that most of the people who gave themselves the time to post a comment about their opinion preffer Rhapsody over Manowar, almost none that voted for Manowar psoted here... Says a lot about fanboys without opinions.

I voted for Rhapsody, I don't listen to Power metal anymore but they were very cool when I was a little kid and also... like somebody else said. Manowar is cheesy as hell, Rhapsody is more geek than cheesy. And gosh... Manowar's image and music is so... I don't know, ugh... something that shouldn't represent metal at all...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.03.2011 - 18:08
BrokenKnuckles
MANOWAR!!!!!!!! HAIL AND KILL!!!
14.03.2011 - 23:24
RavenKing
I don't listen to those bands nowadays and like none of them but I voted Rhapsody. Mostly because Manowar fucking suck.

And I agree with Marcel about poserism. No other band out there is as poser and cheesy as Manowar.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
15.03.2011 - 00:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Well, we all know Rhapsody of Copyright Infringement's lawyers are more tr00 and pwned Joey DiManowar's legal team of steel.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.03.2011 - 02:46
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 03.02.2011 at 14:14

Written by Black_Sheep on 31.01.2011 at 04:10

Rhapsody. They have some great songs, they have real talent and they can handle their instruments properly.

..Manowar has none of those things.

Manowar is one of the shittiest band ever and the one I hate the most in all the world (along with Metallica), so I would obviously choose Rhapsody.
I'm no Powermetal fan but Rhapsody's old stuff is not so bad. Their material since SOEL II is quite boring, however.

Really? One of the shittiest bands ever? Thousands of brutal death/grind and deathcore bands are worse than Manowar. Yeah, they're overrated as hell, but not bad... Just bland and really quite oudated. Everything they've done has been expanded upon by future bands, and done better.

While I do really like Manowar's whole Fight For Metal image, the music just isn't special. I'm not familiar with Rhapsody's entire discography, but what I've heard from them is far superior to anything that Manowar has ever done.
15.03.2011 - 08:34
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by BloodFireDeath on 14.03.2011 at 09:31

I do have to say that these are two dissimilar bands to be comparing? Are you drunk or just too arrogant to think that your opinions and ideas are too idiotic to NOT share with the rest of anyone Baz Anderson.

The fact that this topic has people engaged in lively (often too lively) discussions is proof that there's nothing idiotic about it. On the other hand, to attack the person who opened it because he dared to compare two bands (what a mortal sin!!!) is indeed truly idiotic, not to mention off topic.
15.03.2011 - 09:51
Jack---
I voted Manowar, they rule, and metal rule, cant see the big fuc**** problem? xD

Its funny about Manowar, either you love them or you hate them

Written by Guest on 15.03.2011 at 08:34

The fact that this topic has people engaged in lively (often too lively) discussions is proof that there's nothing idiotic about it. On the other hand, to attack the person who opened it because he dared to compare two bands (what a mortal sin!!!) is indeed truly idiotic, not to mention off topic.

This is not a discussion anymore, its become a thread to bash Manowar.. sad people cant respect other metal bands
----
Everything was perfect. Then came the 90's..
15.03.2011 - 13:26
RavenKing
Written by Jack--- on 15.03.2011 at 09:51

This is not a discussion anymore, its become a thread to bash Manowar.. sad people cant respect other metal bands

Bashing Manowar is an exquisite pleasure. Those douchebags deserve it so much.
Manowar don't have respect for anyone, so I see absolutely no reason to respect them.
----
15.03.2011 - 21:44
Jack---
Written by RavenKing on 15.03.2011 at 13:26

Manowar don't have respect for anyone, so I see absolutely no reason to respect them.

you are stupid and arrogant, dont destroy the metal scene
Manowar shows all the respect, like every other band does
----
16.03.2011 - 00:15
RavenKing
Written by Jack--- on 15.03.2011 at 21:44

Since when does the metal scene is limited to Manowar?
And I prefer by far being seen as arrogant or stupid than as an idiot like you who falls victim of Manowar's marketing.

Manowar, showing respect? Don't make me laugh. They spend half their time pissing on everything and everyone.
Only poor deluded fanboys are blind enough to overlook it.

P.S. I'm used to this kind of reaction from Manowar fans. Braindead band for braindead fans.
----
16.03.2011 - 01:54
Jack---
Written by RavenKing on 16.03.2011 at 00:15

Written by Jack--- on 15.03.2011 at 21:44

Since when does the metal scene is limited to Manowar?
And I prefer by far being seen as arrogant or stupid than as an idiot like you who falls victim of Manowar's marketing.

Manowar, showing respect? Don't make me laugh. They spend half their time pissing on everything and everyone.
Only poor deluded fanboys are blind enough to overlook it.

P.S. I'm used to this kind of reaction from Manowar fans. Braindead band for braindead fans, I would say.

I dont say its limited to Manowar, just that you shouldn't bash other bands, just because you dont like them.
Just because i like a bands music, it dosent mean i falls victim for a marketing. Its not like i go around and preach that Manowar is the one and only band, and that every other band is crap.

How are they not showing respect, they make good music and play awesome live shows, cant see the problem in that?
----
16.03.2011 - 03:14
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Jack--- on 16.03.2011 at 01:54

How are they not showing respect, they make good music and play awesome live shows, cant see the problem in that?

Other than the fact they bilk their fans by charging ridiculous ticket prices or releasing live album after live album that are virtually identical to one another? or releasing an album with the same song over and over again, only butchering a different language each time.

How 'bout their attempt to cash in on the death of Ronnie James Dio?

Manowar of Stee... er... Polyester.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.03.2011 - 03:18
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 16.03.2011 at 03:14

Other than the fact they bilk their fans by charging ridiculous ticket prices or releasing live album after live album that are virtually identical to one another? or releasing an album with the same song over and over again, only butchering a different language each time.

What is this cash in on Dio you speak of?
16.03.2011 - 03:22
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Guest on 16.03.2011 at 03:18

Written by BitterCOld on 16.03.2011 at 03:14

What is this cash in on Dio you speak of?

Weird. my tagging did not work on the prior post. i linked both the dio screw job/cash grab (you can dig it up on MS.), as well as linking the ROF release stating their lawsuit with MCM/Joey prevented them from even publicly commenting on their lack of activity for a year.

----

16.03.2011 - 06:47
BloodFireDeath

Yeah you are right. I need to chill out sometimes hahahaha. But yeah it does get us moving.
----
16.03.2011 - 10:09
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by BloodFireDeath on 16.03.2011 at 06:47

Yeah you are right. I need to chill out sometimes hahahaha. But yeah it does get us moving.

You said yourself that this topic made you want to check out more of Rhapsody's work, so even by your own admission, it's a useful topic indeed
16.03.2011 - 10:35
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted

Nobody has to respect Manowar, but they should respect the fact that this topic is reserved for discussions about Rhapsody's music vs Manowar's music. The title of this topic is indeed not "Bash Manowar (or Rhapsody) with everything you've got." We're talking about what makes one band better than the other here and in order for this to work, we should divorce the art from the artists. Besides, what do you think would grieve DeMaio more - reading comments that call him a douche or reading comments that claim he is not a very good musician, especially when compared to Luca Turilli?
16.03.2011 - 10:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 16.03.2011 at 10:35

Nobody has to respect Manowar, but they should respect the fact that this topic is reserved for discussions about Rhapsody's music vs Manowar's music. The title of this topic is indeed not "Bash Manowar (or Rhapsody) with everything you've got." We're talking about what makes one band better than the other here and in order for this to work, we should divorce the art from the artists. Besides, what do you think would grieve DeMaio more - reading comments that call him a douche or reading comments that claim he is not a very good musician, especially when compared to Luca Turilli?

And DeMaio of course is anything but a good musician Although he thinks he's some sort of god on bass. My God how bad he is live, totally laughable.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.03.2011 - 07:42
BloodFireDeath
Oh yeah. I think we need to have more of these topics so people can go out an listen to all these different bands and reinforce metal as a whole
----
17.03.2011 - 18:58
Slayer666
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.03.2011 at 17:19

I voted for Rhapsody, I don't listen to Power metal anymore but they were very cool when I was a little kid and also... like somebody else said. Manowar is cheesy as hell, Rhapsody is more geek than cheesy. And gosh... Manowar's image and music is so... I don't know, ugh... something that shouldn't represent metal at all...

IMO, Rhapsody is both geeky and cheesy. If you could somehow capture the cheesiness of "Symphony of The Enchanted Lands" and "Power of The Dragonflame" and turn it into actual... well, cheese, you'd end world hunger.
That being said, I guess if I absolutely had to choose between these two, it would be Rhapsody. At least they can play their instruments right, and can pull of some awesome symphonic arrangements.
22.03.2011 - 01:21
Written by BrokenKnuckles on 14.03.2011 at 18:08

MANOWAR!!!!!!!! HAIL AND KILL!!!

HAIL AND KILL!!!
Kings of Metal by far there best album. ild say there true to there image but i havnt heard every album. ild also say there do give back to there fans they hold multiple records for longest heavy metal performance and tour alot from what ive heard. they may be alittle to into how there image looks but i would say insanely so.
Rhapsody is cool but i dont always feel like listening to a book, have to kinda hunt and pick for good heavy songs
----
Immortal soul, takes control! Immortal soul, Thrash till Death!
(death To "posthardcore")
17.06.2012 - 22:14
Zap

I dont say its limited to Manowar, just that you shouldn't bash other bands, just because you dont like them.

Why else would you bash them? Seriously, if I wanna bash Manowar because they stink then I go ahead and do that. Of course you shouldn't exaggerate, but what'd be fun about internet forums if everyone's like:
"I in no way have a fondness for Manowar, but I do genuinely respect them [for some reason], how about you good sir?"
-"Oh, I think they are a jolly good band, I thoroughly enjoy their music and fall for their merchandise tricks every now and then."
"Oh, how marvellous!"
17.06.2012 - 22:36
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by Zap on 17.06.2012 at 22:14

what'd be fun about internet forums if everyone's like:
"I in no way have a fondness for Manowar, but I do genuinely respect them [for some reason], how about you good sir?"
-"Oh, I think they are a jolly good band, I thoroughly enjoy their music and fall for their merchandise tricks every now and then."
"Oh, how marvellous!"

EVERYTHING.
----
7.0 means the album is good
17.06.2012 - 22:44
Uldreth
Rhapsody by far. They might be ultra cheesy but they definitely can write good music and play it too as witnessed on their earlier albums, and as cheesy as it might be, it is somehow funny in a good way. Still it has been a while since I listened to RoF.

Manowar on the other hand sounds so incredibly safe and generic to me, it completely disinterests me. There is literally NOTHING about that band that would ever make me want to listen to them.
And add on top of that that unlike the RoF-type cheese, Manowar's imagery and lyrics cause physical pain to look at, they are not just cheesy, they are terrible.

Not only is their tough guy true metal image oh-so-fucking ironic when juxtaposed with their absolute commercialism, but I blame a lot of this utterly stupid stereotypical metalhead attitude on them.
I really wonder if we had this entire biased, bigoted intolerant poseur/false metal/"war" on other genres (seriously, HOW retarded this can get)/"die" for metal attitudes if it weren't for them.
But seriously, it sounds a lot like some random 15 years old discovering metal for the first time and going 'OMGZ OMGZ OMGZ I AM TRVE KVLT METALHEDZ FOR LISTENING TO HAMMERFALL WE MEATLHEDZ MVST STYCK TOGEDERZ TO DEFEAT POP MUSIC UNLEZ U LISTEN TO FALSE MEATL'. And that is coming from an established band of GROWN UP people.

Their music can only be so bad/generic/uninteresting but I utterly despise this band because of that.
18.06.2012 - 07:36
Zap
Written by Milena on 17.06.2012 at 22:36

EVERYTHING.

Well... that's just like... your opinion...

Okay, you might have a point, but I'd get tired of it after a while.
What I wanted to add is that it's okay for people to bash my favorite bands if that means I can bash theirs , as long as neither of us really goes out of our way to do it.
18.06.2012 - 07:55
How can MANOWAR be losing they would blow that crap band off the damn stage no questions about it.
----
No Mosh, No Core, No trends, No Fun
19.06.2012 - 05:52
Stabby
Account deleted
I suspect that this decision will come down to which genre someone happens to like more. They're just not very comparable in my opinion. One is classically flavored symphonic power metal and the other is mostly heavy metal. And they both do what they do well but the only real common denominator is the extreme cheesiness.

My favorite of the two is Rhapsody. I just like their style more. Power Of The Dragonflame is one of my favorite albums ever, it's their masterpiece in my view, and blows everything I have heard from Manowar out of the water. But Manowar's Warriors of the World is better than a lot of Rhapsody for me. So it's not a clear decision. But if I could only listen to one ever again it would be Rhapsody.