Metal Storm logo
Metallica - Start Working On New Album Later This Year

Danish tabloid Ekstra Bladet recently conducted an interview with formerly renowned Danish tennis pro Lars Ulrich.

When asked when he and his jamming buddies in Metalium would begin work on the follow-up to Death Magnetic (voted Best Heavy Metal Album of 2008 according to 478 people with the best taste in music of everyone on this site), he answered:

"There's a really good vibe in the band at the moment. In the past, we would be fed up with Metallica whenever we returned home after a gigantic world tour, but this time it's different. Therefore it won't be that long before we start working on a new album. I think that we'll probably already get the creative process going in March or April and go into the studio. We really want to get back to Metallica quickly because we are enjoying it so much right now."

If you must, the full interview can be read on Blabbymouth.

Next to a huge one-show tour of North America in April, Metallica will also be playing two Sonisphere Festivals (UK and France) in July and Rock In Rio in September.

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Metallica
Posted: 01.02.2011 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 54   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 497 users
01.02.2011 - 22:54
necrovamp

Huh, metallium an Blabbymouth? Typo or deliberate?

anyway shall watch out for it, may even buy it if i like it!
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
01.02.2011 - 22:57
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Hmmmmm ,, as one of my friends say, is it gona be another DeathFAGnetic !!!???
01.02.2011 - 23:01
Vivi'

Written by pazuzuovbabel on 01.02.2011 at 22:57

I like your friend.

On topic: I hope they use professional equipment this time... it's the 2011-ta, Jesus!
01.02.2011 - 23:01
@gent_-_orange

Please go back to what made you great metallica.:-|
01.02.2011 - 23:15
Thrash666

I love Metallica and very stoked to hear that they are doin another record....... but........All i fuckin want is for it to be better than Death Magentic (a.k.a. Worse Metallica album ever)
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
01.02.2011 - 23:15
Sangre Sani

HELL YEAH!
01.02.2011 - 23:16
SlaytanicGonzo

I thought Death Magnetic was pretty good, looking forward to this one. Although it would be nice if it had a more "dirty" sound like the 80's Metallica.
01.02.2011 - 23:51
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Lars and his jamming buddies in Metalium? Really?
02.02.2011 - 00:16
PoptartDinosaur

Metallica after 1990 didn't matter.
02.02.2011 - 00:19
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Expectations/excitement about this: very low...
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
02.02.2011 - 00:42
worm_is_gloaming

Written by necrovamp on 01.02.2011 at 22:54

Huh, metallium an Blabbymouth? Typo or deliberate?

Made me wonder the same thing. Either entirely careless or a nice prank.
02.02.2011 - 01:17
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
I'm not expecting much....
02.02.2011 - 01:19
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
My expectation.. 40% of people will horribly overrate the album and another 40% will bash it because it is the cool thing to do. album will be mediocre to decent... 6-7 is my NostradaM-S guess.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.02.2011 - 01:24
flamey

I thought that people bashing Metallica and thinking it's cool became extinct in late 90s. I guess they're still around and cool as ever.
02.02.2011 - 01:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hopefully it will be another step in the right direction, like Death Magnetic, which i found to be a decent enough album.
02.02.2011 - 01:39
ViolentPrayers

PLEASE, NO MORE UNFORGIVENS
02.02.2011 - 01:57
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Lol@voted Best Heavy Metal Album of 2008 according to 478 people with the best taste in music of everyone on this site
----
loves 小巫
02.02.2011 - 02:30
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Death Magnetic was great. Not a perfect return to form as advertised though, more like Justice meets the Black Album if you ask me.

Anyways, excited to hear what they come up with next.
02.02.2011 - 03:17
The Voyager
The Table
Death Magnetic was a pretty good album, in my opinion. Hopefully they keep going down that road. I don't know, I may be one of the only people who doesn't necessarily want "old Metallica." Regardless, I will be anticipating this album. Just want better production.
02.02.2011 - 03:33
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by Vivi' on 01.02.2011 at 23:01

Written by pazuzuovbabel on 01.02.2011 at 22:57

I like your friend.

On topic: I hope they use professional equipment this time... it's the 2011-ta, Jesus!

I love your friend too. and i totally agree with the equipment thing...
02.02.2011 - 03:50
afu

I liked all but two songs on DM and I think 5 of the songs are pretty fricking awesome. I hope the next one is leaner and meaner. Seeing as how I used to dub tapes from radio broadcasts as a kid (and I like craptastically produced punk music), I can overlook the mixing issues with DM, but I'd like to see a production that straddles MOP and the Black Album.

And FUCK Rick Rubin.
02.02.2011 - 04:19
Richard

Written by BitterCOld on 02.02.2011 at 01:19

My expectation.. 40% of people will horribly overrate the album and another 40% will bash it because it is the cool thing to do. album will be mediocre to decent... 6-7 is my NostradaM-S guess.

Probably true. But what about the remaining 20%, o soothsayer?

Disregarding all the Metallica hype/hate, I thought Death Magnetic had some good songs and was much better than I expected. As ViolentPrayers said, though, if they do Unforgiven Part 4 then that's taking it too far..!
----
02.02.2011 - 04:36
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
My expectation... this album will be so unbelievably awesome that no one can deny it. Every album has been building up to this, the pinnacle of their career. No producers, all those riffs they have been stashing away, the emotive songwriting, the simplistic yet technical yet relatable drumming... ALL WILL RETURN.
You heard it here first...
02.02.2011 - 05:12
marzepka87

Written by Guest on 02.02.2011 at 01:17

I'm not expecting much....

noone is, and I think everyone stopped expecting anything good from Metallica the second St. Anger was released(atleast I did)
02.02.2011 - 05:36
Deleted Scenes

Written by The Voyager on 02.02.2011 at 03:17
I may be one of the only people who doesn't necessarily want "old Metallica." Regardless, I will be anticipating this album. Just want better production.

I'm with you there. I think the only way forward for Metallica as far as writing new material goes, is to completely abandon any idea of returning to their 'old sound'.

That was the problem with Death Magnetic. It had all the right thrashy ingredients, but because their hearts weren't really in it, they put everything together wrong and ended up with an incoherent mess. The only reason they attempted to write a thrash album, was because their fans demanded a thrash album. It was all a bit forced, and it sounded forced too.

I'm not saying the album was a complete write-off, but it was nothing like what they are (or were?) capable of. It did have a few good moments, but not enough for more than about a 4-4.5/10 rating (my opinion). Death Magnetic was a good move in terms of making money and getting fans back on side, but now they need to progress a bit rather than letting themselves stagnate (again).

I'd much rather have something more commercial sounding that comes to them naturally (even if it ends up being rubbish), than another below average tribute to the '80s.

...I have to add, though. I'm expecting nothing more than a huge stinking turd.

Written by Introspekrieg on 02.02.2011 at 04:36

My expectation... this album will be so unbelievably awesome that no one can deny it. Every album has been building up to this, the pinnacle of their career. No producers, all those riffs they have been stashing away, the emotive songwriting, the simplistic yet technical yet relatable drumming... ALL WILL RETURN.
You heard it here first...

Are you Lars Ulrich?
02.02.2011 - 08:54
MetalFreak

"Next to a huge one-show tour of North America in April"

Oh Thryce, you so funny, like a clown, making me laugh.
02.02.2011 - 09:34
JCJen7

I absolutely love Metallica, their early stuff, and Death Magnetic also. I just don't see this album being all that great though. I mean, Death Magnetic was kinda crunch time for them. They could either keep being "creative" and get 100% dismissed as relevant to metal, or get down to business and make a good thrash record. And they did that. But right now, they seem to god damn happy and content with themselves to go write some aggressive, from the heart shit.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
02.02.2011 - 09:44
Muhannad Saleh
www.jorzine.com
Do They Have Their Long hair back yet ?! if not i wont bother listening to the album
02.02.2011 - 11:55
arj

Better production would be a good start, but I guess that is wishful thinking. Maybe Metallica thinks it can invent black metal again, like they "invented" death metal with and justice for all (according to Lars ).
02.02.2011 - 12:02
JD
Account deleted
Cool am waiting this album!

Hits total: 7225 | This month: 6