02. Space Station No. 5 [Montrose cover]
03. I Can't See My Feelings [Budgie cover]
04. Roll Over Vic Vella
05. No Prayer For The Dying [live]
06. Public Enema Number One [live]
07. Hooks In You [live]

Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Produced & mixing by Martin Birch & Steve Harris.
Engineering by Martin Birch & Mike McKenna.
Cover art & photography by Melvyn Grant, George Chin, Phil Anstice & Hugh Gilmour.

"Space Station No. 5" contains a hidden track entitled "Bayswater Ain't A Bad Place To Be" - previously available as a hidden track on the UK single of "Be Quick Or Be Dead".

Guest review by
Spyroid
Rating:
Damn! How do you rate an album like this? 'Fear Of The Dark' must be one of the most uneven albums released, and for sure the most uneven Iron Maiden album. There are really two sides of this album, and before I can even talk about the rating I have to evaluate them.

First of all we have the good side. And it's a really good side. There are some tracks on 'Fear Of The Dark' which are just brilliant and deserve very high ratings. They are not only good, but also show that the band has developed, they have very well written lyrics and incredible solos - 'From Here To Eternity' contains my favourite Maiden solo ever. Other tracks that belong to this side are of course the title track, 'Afraid To Shoot Strangers' and 'Wasting Love', plus some other unknown tracks like 'Chains of Misery' and 'Judas Be My Guide' which I like a lot.

Read more ››
published 28.07.2008 | Comments (36)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
An album with a maligned reputation that has tarred some of the best songs the band ever produced with the same brush, Fear Of The Dark is more than just the title track; those who have written the album off as such are missing out in a big way. The album does have its flaws, but they are more than made up for in what it does right. If you are still sceptical then pause here and go listen to "Judas Be My Guide" right now?? Do you see what I mean having given just one song a go?

Read more ››
published 15.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 88 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 56   Visited by: 1377 users
03.02.2011 - 23:03
Viesturs
Rock On!!!:metal:
04.02.2011 - 02:22
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Viesturs on 03.02.2011 at 23:03

Rock On!!!:metal:

like I said, you give 10s way too easily.
12.08.2011 - 09:41
Scumbagrr
Hail....damn its a great songs..on of my memories here with all my fella....
in 1994.....when im still in first graduate.....
jhhahahahahhaa.......love this...buaangeettt...\m/
----
scumbagrr
17.09.2011 - 19:48
Mountain King
K i K o
I just don't get how this can get lower ratings than the total crap of Somewhere in Time or the average Brave New World!
09.11.2011 - 05:16
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Mountain King on 17.09.2011 at 19:48

I just don't get how this can get lower ratings than the total crap of Somewhere in Time or the average Brave New World!

Think you're a little backwards there.
Fear Of The Dark better than Somewhere In Time and Brave New World? What 'chu talkin' aboot, Willis?
09.11.2011 - 13:10
Rating: 8
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 09.11.2011 at 05:16
Fear Of The Dark better than Somewhere In Time and Brave New World? What 'chu talkin' aboot, Willis?

Agreed. Both those albums are far stronger overall than the ocassionally brilliant, but mostly patchy "Fear Of The Dark"...
09.11.2011 - 14:00
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by Guest on 09.11.2011 at 05:16

Written by Mountain King on 17.09.2011 at 19:48

Afraid To Shoot Strangers, Title Track, Wasting Love, Be Quick Or Be Dead, Judas My Guide are all some of the best songs Maiden have ever done, and honestly they make me like the band. While the songs i really like from Somewhere In Time are Caught Somewhere in Time, Sea Of Madness and Alexander The Great and all 3 don't come close to some of the aforementioned songs from FOTD. Everyone has his opinion, Maiden was never my favorite band and i tend to pick a few songs from each album and i really think FOTD and Number Of The Beast are their best albums...
13.10.2012 - 23:58
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Weak album. It's too mellow, doesn't even sound like Maiden. I wouldn't even call this "Hard Rock". No wonder Bruce Dickinson left. While I still like Wasting Love (because of Bruce's performance and some of the guitar parts), it feels like it's another band. The title track is perhaps the most underwhelming song off the album. They had to make a heavy metal version of it live, but the lyrics are still emo. I don't understand how can people like it.
12.11.2012 - 21:47
Rating: 6
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Definitely an improvement over No Prayer for the Dying, but still not as good as an album like Brave New World or 7th Son. I really like the acoustic work scattered throughout the album in songs like "Wasting Love" or the intro to "Weekend Warrior". It has more standouts than the previous release with songs like the title track, "Wasting Love", "Fear is the Key", and one of my all-time favorite Maiden songs "Afraid to Shoot Strangers". Still, "From Here To Eternity" (one of the worst songs i've ever heard from Maiden) among other unimpressive songs is one of the reasons this album won't get more than an 8 from me.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
30.01.2013 - 00:44
Illog1cal
Account deleted
Mostly bad.
30.01.2013 - 19:58
Rating: 7
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
It basically breaks down like this:

Great: Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Judas Be My Guide, Fear of the Dark
Good: Be Quick or Be Dead, Childhood's End, Wasting Love
Decent: Fear Is the Key, The Fugitive, Chains of Misery
Bad: From Here to Eternity, The Apparition, Weekend Warrior

Half of the album is good / great. The weaker half is what makes it an average album. The decent enjoyable-"filler"-track is a Maiden album staple, but Fear of the Dark has 3 of them and that's simply too many. And just as the great songs are great, the bad songs are really bad. "The Apparition" has a really cool bass solo though.
31.01.2013 - 00:31
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Azarath on 30.01.2013 at 19:58

It basically breaks down like this:

Great: Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Judas Be My Guide, Fear of the Dark
Good: Be Quick or Be Dead, Childhood's End, Wasting Love
Decent: Fear Is the Key, The Fugitive, Chains of Misery
Bad: From Here to Eternity, The Apparition, Weekend Warrior

Half of the album is good / great. The weaker half is what makes it an average album. The decent enjoyable-"filler"-track is a Maiden album staple, but Fear of the Dark has 3 of them and that's simply too many. And just as the great songs are great, the bad songs are really bad. "The Apparition" has a really cool bass solo though.

Nice breakdown
31.01.2013 - 20:34
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by JÄY on 31.01.2013 at 00:31

Nice breakdown

Cheers. Breaking down is what I do. Wait...
01.02.2013 - 00:30
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Azarath on 31.01.2013 at 20:34

Written by JÄY on 31.01.2013 at 00:31

Nice breakdown

Cheers. Breaking down is what I do. Wait...

You and Whitechapel
28.02.2013 - 02:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
After bI hera this one , I am thinking maybe it was better Bruce left IM and Blaze came, otherwise there would not be good news IM whit Bruce, this is week, good it is from that time and werry proffesional mussican what makes it stronger than if its would be nowdays band

fear of the chick, thay she will bite of your dick .... new parody version
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.02.2014 - 22:36
pkillerjp
The title track, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, and Wasting Love are amazing..the rest borders between good and acceptable...that being said, this albums smokes No Prayer for the Dying and easily.
26.02.2014 - 01:53
Not among Maiden's best, but I can definitely see it's appeal. Great performance from Dave.
----
www.thunderousvoices.com
27.02.2014 - 16:54
Rating: 9
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Underrated album. I like it more than Piece Of Mind. It is as good as Somewhere In Time or Brave New World.
01.05.2014 - 09:45
Sang Dalang Abu
FEAR OF THE DARKKKKKK...... FEAR OF THE DARRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKK
05.06.2014 - 06:55
mikeprado30
Nice album, but I prefer No Prayer, it seems IMHO a most consistent album than FOTD.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
05.06.2014 - 14:39
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by mikeprado30 on 05.06.2014 at 06:55

Nice album, but I prefer No Prayer, it seems IMHO a most consistent album than FOTD.

It's nice to see someone else preferring No Prayer to this album.

I've always viewed FOTD as being very noticeably weaker than No Prayer, but I know I'm in a very small minority who holds that opinion.
05.06.2014 - 21:46
Lit.
Account deleted
I for one agree with both of you. I find this album super overrated. The only tracks I enjoyed were the title track and Afraid To Shoot Strangers, and even the former drags on way too much for me.
06.06.2014 - 07:54
mikeprado30
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.06.2014 at 14:39

Written by mikeprado30 on 05.06.2014 at 06:55

It's nice to see someone else preferring No Prayer to this album.

I've always viewed FOTD as being very noticeably weaker than No Prayer, but I know I'm in a very small minority who holds that opinion.

And is a thing very recent, Angelic I was listening this album along with FOTD recently (cause I wanna learn ONCE FOR ALL every Maiden's lyrics, he-heh!), and I found more charisma and catchiness in the NPFTD tracks (like Run Silent Run Deep, FATES WARNING, Public Enema #1 and others) meanwhile in FOTD we pass from an explosive starting (BE QUICK, From Here to Eternity and AFRAID) into a fest of nice and not-so-nice tracks (Fear is the Key is nice, Childhood's End touched my heart so much, Wasting Love is nice but lacks of force, The Fugitive is nice also, Chains of Misery I found it a bit simple, The Apparition I liked so much, Judas is nice but it could be better, and Weekend Warrior has a catchy and also some silly lyrics), ending with a trademark high anthem for the band (but IMHO I prefer over FOTD Run Silent Run Deep, I found the lyrics and the chorus more attractive for my tastes, and the guitar solo has a very nice work).

I insist, FOTD is not a bad album, yet I liked most than NPFTD a time ago, but revisiting those two albums I found better No Prayer in my preferences, maybe also in par IMHO with Piece of Mind and Powerslave
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
14.10.2014 - 04:30
Ruchesko
The title track aside, they just sounded burnt out on this. Thank hairy Moses they got it back for Brave New World.
31.08.2015 - 09:59
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Hard one to rate. Most of the material bounces between 6 and 8.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
16.02.2016 - 12:36
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Be quick, judas be my guide and fear of the dark are awesome... the other vary from shit to average..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
28.06.2016 - 21:47
majormalfunction
I'm pending on a 7 and 8 on this one. While there are many shiny moments as Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Judas Be My Guide, The Fugitive, Childhood's End and the title track, similar to No Prayer for the Dying there are also some songs that don't reach up to the level you are used to with Iron Maiden. It feels they were underachieving in the songwriting. I put a 7 for now.

Luckily they really good their shit together for the next one!
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
04.09.2016 - 12:45
Rating: 10
Angry Soul
Might be my personal favorite by Iron Maiden. Yes, I actually like and respect their entire discography (including the Blaze Bayley sung efforts). "Afraid to shoot Strangers" is probably my favorite tune on the album...that guitar solo alone...goosebumps...

"Fear is The Key", "Childhood's End", "Weekend Warrior", "Wasting Love", "Fear of The Dark", ...all amazing tunes in my opinion...
----
"The valor that struggles is better than the weakness that endures." - Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

"Art is the Tree of Life. Science is the Tree of Death." - William Blake
26.10.2016 - 18:08
tominator
At best deranged
contributor
One of my least favourite albums by them. That said, there are a couple of really good songs on this album. Fear Of The Dark is a classic and songs like: Afraid To Shoot Strangers, Fear Is The Key, Wasting Love, Be Quick Or Be Dead, Judas Be My Guide and Childhood's End are very good songs imo.

Songs like: Weekend Warrior, The Apparition, Chains Of Misery are really weak songs (some of my least favourite Maiden songs in fact).

Overall a decent album and slightly better than Virtual XI and No Prayer For The Dying.
12.06.2017 - 00:35
VIG
Account deleted
The title track is the only thing that stands out on this record, and even that song isn't that great.

Hits total: 26295 | This month: 91