05. Domination Agenda
06. Astronomicon
07. Rise Of The Reptilian Regime
08. The Draconian Arrival
09. Alpha And Omega

Additional info
Produced and mixed by Jonas Kjellgren.
Co-produced by Per Nilsson.
Recorded at Blacklounge and Abyss Studios.
Mastered by Plec at the Panicroom.
Artwork by Colin Marks.

Staff review by
Troy Killjoy
Rating:
So this is it, Scar Symmetry's second release without Christian Älvestam. Two albums in two years makes for a great opportunity to move on from the past and make yourself known to the metal community as a force to be reckoned with regardless of who your frontman is.

Or in this case, who your frontmen are.

Anyone familiar with the band's history knows Älvestam was replaced by two vocalists - one to handle cleans, the other to handle growls. Aside from that, the music hasn't changed all that much, although they did manage to experiment slightly with Dark Matter Dimensions in terms of songwriting, much to their fans' dismay.

Read more ››
published 14.11.2011 | Comments (71)

Found in 22 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 79   Visited by: 820 users
16.04.2011 - 20:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Kennoth on 16.04.2011 at 16:32

Sorry guys, haven't got around to it yet, I promise I'll do it tonight

Hehee!

Can't wait to hear your opinion of it.
16.04.2011 - 22:03
MetalSpider
This is a great album! I enjoyed it more than Dark Matter Dimensions thats for sure. Its still not as good as Holographic Universe, but this is without a doubt, a very solid effort. I'll need to listen to it again, assuming I can tear myself away from Septicflesh's The Great Mass.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
16.04.2011 - 23:31
Kennoth
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.04.2011 at 20:24

Written by Kennoth on 16.04.2011 at 16:32

Sorry guys, haven't got around to it yet, I promise I'll do it tonight

Hehee!

Can't wait to hear your opinion of it.

Aww, thx

Alright, here it comes: well, they seem to be well aware of the fact that their progressiveness is their strongest asset and (apparently) not Christian (who I adore). I certainly like it better than their last release which was their most heaviest yet but also lacked some individuality. From the first listening, I'm not disappointed, and I'm not impressed either. There are some great intros, good looking songs, some less good looking. I will dig into it more later but it looks very promising.

Written by MetalSpider on 16.04.2011 at 22:03

This is a great album! I enjoyed it more than Dark Matter Dimensions thats for sure. Its still not as good as Holographic Universe, but this is without a doubt, a very solid effort. I'll need to listen to it again, assuming I can tear myself away from Septicflesh's The Great Mass.

Holographic Universe is their best and most mature album (in my humble opinion). Maybe I should try that album as well? haha
----
*insert something deep and profound*
16.04.2011 - 23:40
MetalSpider
Agreed...its still their best album for me.

You can try Septicflesh's The Great Mass. That album to me is one of their greatest and imo the best album of 2011! Hell, for me its even one of the greatest albums Ive ever listened to. But then again, I'm a huge Septicflesh fan (mainly because of their previous album Communion...and now this of course).

Back to Scar Symmetry, without Alvestam I think the band has lost some of its magic. I think they're doing fine without him and musically I still think its awesome. But vocally (mainly the clean vocals because Robert's growls are bad ass!), its just not the same.
----

17.04.2011 - 00:08
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Kennoth on 16.04.2011 at 23:31
Aww, thx

Alright, here it comes: well, they seem to be well aware of the fact that their progressiveness is their strongest asset and (apparently) not Christian (who I adore). I certainly like it better than their last release which was their most heaviest yet but also lacked some individuality. From the first listening, I'm not disappointed, and I'm not impressed either. There are some great intros, good looking songs, some less good looking. I will dig into it more later but it looks very promising.

Hehe, you're quite welcome.

I will say the first time I listened to it, I didn't love it. Particularly the latter half of the album, which is more complex and less catchy than most of the first half. The songs may not be especially long, but they're still progressive in nature, and not easy to absorb. In fact, some of the songs are the least accessible they've ever done. But further plays does reap rewards. At least they did for me anyways. lol

@Metalspider: I agree totally about Christian. Although Lars is a decent vocalist, any time I hear the clean vocals parts, its hard not to think to myself "this would sound even better with Christian singing it". I don't really feel that with the death vocals, but that's because they sound so much like Christian, there's not really any noticeable difference there. Some may actually prefer Lars' cleans, because they aren't so perfect and sugary sounding, but I definitely prefer Christian's more pristine and precise cleans. Lars' voice has grown on me, and it's certainly not bad enough to make good Scar Symmetry songs sound crappy, but there is a little something missing with Christian gone. But the band still sound great. Have to give kudos to Per and Jonas!

I prefer "Pitch Black Progress" to "Holographic Universe", although the latter has some absolutely amazing songs on it. I think Per and Jonas are just too talented as songwriters and guitarists to make a truly bad album.
17.04.2011 - 00:27
MetalSpider
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.04.2011 at 00:08

Written by Kennoth on 16.04.2011 at 23:31
Aww, thx

Hehe, you're quite welcome.

I will say the first time I listened to it, I didn't love it. Particularly the latter half of the album, which is more complex and less catchy than most of the first half. The songs may not be especially long, but they're still progressive in nature, and not easy to absorb. In fact, some of the songs are the least accessible they've ever done. But further plays does reap rewards. At least they did for me anyways. lol

@Metalspider: I agree totally about Christian. Although Lars is a decent vocalist, any time I hear the clean vocals parts, its hard not to think to myself "this would sound even better with Christian singing it". I don't really feel that with the death vocals, but that's because they sound so much like Christian, there's not really any noticeable difference there. Some may actually prefer Lars' cleans, because they aren't so perfect and sugary sounding, but I definitely prefer Christian's more pristine and precise cleans. Lars' voice has grown on me, and it's certainly not bad enough to make good Scar Symmetry songs sound crappy, but there is a little something missing with Christian gone. But the band still sound great. Have to give kudos to Per and Jonas!

I prefer "Pitch Black Progress" to "Holographic Universe", although the latter has some absolutely amazing songs on it. I think Per and Jonas are just too talented as songwriters and guitarists to make a truly bad album.

Yeah I get that same feeling when I hear Lars vocals lol. Although he has improved from the last album, Christian is just a much better singer, even if it is more on the poppy side.

Per and Jonas are great songwriters...I definitely enjoy their style. Musically, they haven't created a bad album yet.
----

17.04.2011 - 19:28
Darth Mitchell
Mitchell
Written by MetalSpider on 16.04.2011 at 23:40

Back to Scar Symmetry, without Alvestam I think the band has lost some of its magic. I think they're doing fine without him and musically I still think its awesome. But vocally (mainly the clean vocals because Robert's growls are bad ass!), its just not the same.

Agree with the fact that the sound of the band is still good but that the vocals are a little disapointing. But I've got the feeling they are trying to be more commercial with the poppy choruses.... (and that's not a good thing in my opinion)
18.04.2011 - 00:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Darth Mitchell on 17.04.2011 at 19:28
Agree with the fact that the sound of the band is still good but that the vocals are a little disapointing. But I've got the feeling they are trying to be more commercial with the poppy choruses.... (and that's not a good thing in my opinion)

Hmm... I really don't think they are doing any more poppier choruses now, than they did when Christian was in the band. "Dreaming 24/7" had very poppy verses as well as its chorus, and songs like "Quantumleaper" and of course, "The Illusionist" also had pop-ish choruses. If anything "The Anomaly" aside, I don't think there's anything really pop-ish or commercial about the new album. It's probably their least accessible and catchy record overall. At least for me it is anyways.

@Metalspider: Once again, totally agreed. lol xD
18.04.2011 - 08:14
stationarytravel
Account deleted
The album is good, but in the end it just feels like a less catchy mash-up of everything they've done before.
18.04.2011 - 08:54
MetalSpider
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.04.2011 at 00:11

Written by Darth Mitchell on 17.04.2011 at 19:28

Hmm... I really don't think they are doing any more poppier choruses now, than they did when Christian was in the band. "Dreaming 24/7" had very poppy verses as well as its chorus, and songs like "Quantumleaper" and of course, "The Illusionist" also had pop-ish choruses. If anything "The Anomaly" aside, I don't think there's anything really pop-ish or commercial about the new album. It's probably their least accessible and catchy record overall. At least for me it is anyways.

@Metalspider: Once again, totally agreed. lol xD

lol! Well you know what they say...great minds think alike

And I agree with you again! lol. I think this album is less poppy than anything they've ever done before and is definitely one of the least catchy albums they've done (although Illuminoid Dream Sequence was really catchy for me).

Still though, I've only listened to it once. Maybe my opinion will change slightly after another listen or 2.
----

18.04.2011 - 13:58
Darth Mitchell
Mitchell
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.04.2011 at 00:11

[Hmm... I really don't think they are doing any more poppier choruses now, than they did when Christian was in the band. "Dreaming 24/7" had very poppy verses as well as its chorus, and songs like "Quantumleaper" and of course, "The Illusionist" also had pop-ish choruses. If anything "The Anomaly" aside, I don't think there's anything really pop-ish or commercial about the new album. It's probably their least accessible and catchy record overall. At least for me it is anyways.

Well I have to say you've got a point. But I in my opinion Quantumleaper, The Illusionist and Dreaming 24/7 (my one favorit songs from SS because of the awesome solo's) were more "heavy" than the songs of the Unseen Empire, because there were more clean vocals and less growls and grunts.
18.04.2011 - 15:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by MetalSpider on 18.04.2011 at 08:54

And I agree with you again! lol. I think this album is less poppy than anything they've ever done before and is definitely one of the least catchy albums they've done (although Illuminoid Dream Sequence was really catchy for me).

Still though, I've only listened to it once. Maybe my opinion will change slightly after another listen or 2.

Hehe, yep they do, and it seems so!

The first 3 tracks are the only ones one the new album that are pretty immediate and catchy. The rest of the album is definitely less accessible than most of SS's earlier material. So overall, I think it is their least poppy and catchy album.

Ive listened to it a few times now, and my opinion hasn't changed as far as the overall catchiness of the album goes. lol xD

@Darth Mitchell: Well, I guess that's just a matter of personal perspective, but those songs definitely to me anyways, are more catchy and poppy than most of what's on the latest album. Oh, and I agree about "Dreaming 24/7"'s guitar work, although the guitar work on that whole album ("Pitch Black Progress") is just dazzling. Jonas really came into his own on that album, and played some great solos to compliment Per's virtuoso shredding.
18.04.2011 - 19:55
MetalSpider
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.04.2011 at 15:18

Written by MetalSpider on 18.04.2011 at 08:54

Hehe, yep they do, and it seems so!

The first 3 tracks are the only ones one the new album that are pretty immediate and catchy. The rest of the album is definitely less accessible than most of SS's earlier material. So overall, I think it is their least poppy and catchy album.

Ive listened to it a few times now, and my opinion hasn't changed as far as the overall catchiness of the album goes. lol xD

@Darth Mitchell: Well, I guess that's just a matter of personal perspective, but those songs definitely to me anyways, are more catchy and poppy than most of what's on the latest album. Oh, and I agree about "Dreaming 24/7"'s guitar work, although the guitar work on that whole album ("Pitch Black Progress") is just dazzling. Jonas really came into his own on that album, and played some great solos to compliment Per's virtuoso shredding.

I've listened to it a 2nd time...and no surprise here...I've got to agree with you yet again! lol. The first 3 songs are the catchiest. Seeds of Eschaton, Rise of the Reptilian Regime and Alpha and Omega are pretty good songs as well...but not as good as the first 3. And the rest of the songs on the album, don't care for them that much.
----

19.04.2011 - 19:44
Rating: 7
Constantine
For my taste little too melodic with less death elements. This album is MELOdeath at least said. Its definitely decent one, but the best stuff remains the same and it is called Pitch Black Progress. For me around 8/10 at best...
19.04.2011 - 21:47
qui_killer
Scar Symmetry has lost most of their magic after Christian Älvestam left the band.
In my opinion there are very few catchy moments in "The Unseen Empire".
TUE is much better than DMD, but not comparable to their first 3 albums.
TUE is a very solid album, but nothing special, breathtaking in my opinion.
20.04.2011 - 03:50
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
The clean vocals are getting better, but it's still not Alvestam...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
22.04.2011 - 07:37
Rating: 9
Wes
Sounds like it's all over the place. I like it but it lacks strong song structure like earlier albums. Also vocal melodies aren't quite as good as Christian's.
27.04.2011 - 20:03
Rating: 6
.:Nataras:.
.:Saratan:.
Just Sell-out!!!
----
.:Saratan:.
28.04.2011 - 18:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Dammit there's actually some really strong moments that I enjoy, great melodies, typical Scar Symmetry vocals (which is funny because it takes two vocalists to do the same job)...

But then something weird happens, they totally lose their focus and aggression and melody and just go straight-up pop. Like boy band meets metal. When the clean vocals dominate and the guitars take a back step and the drums are practically unheard of (not worth mentioning the bass, if there is one)...there's just no enticement.

And then they break fast back to hardcore speed and blazing guitars. Way too inconsistent. Not a good album by any means, even if there are moments that stand out more than DMD.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.05.2011 - 11:27
Kamil
Account deleted
Written by qui_killer on 19.04.2011 at 21:47

Scar Symmetry has lost most of their magic after Christian Älvestam left the band.

People should stop rate this band only because of "Christian Älvestam isn't in the band anymore and there is no Scar Symmetry".
They've started new chapter and stay focus on it.
End of discussion.
04.05.2011 - 08:25
Kuroboshi
I thought it was their best effort so far.
04.05.2011 - 21:58
Rating: 8
Therapy?
Great album from a great band. Although... I could not find a song that thrilled me as much as "A Parenthisis in Eternity" did on their previous album. "Illuminoid Dream Sequence" does a good job on this one but it didn't have the same impact. I had slightly higher expectations for this one hence only an 8 for now.
06.05.2011 - 20:36
Pankar95
Excellent album. The only song that feels a bit weak to me is Domination Agenda.
20.05.2011 - 00:16
Pyramid God
I still miss Christian....
24.05.2011 - 17:44
Rating: 10
neonxaos
I am revising my rating (previously 9) on this one. I have listened to it since release, and it just gets better and better for me. This is one of the greatest albums ever made in this genre, if not metal as a whole.
25.05.2011 - 09:22
Pyramid God
I agree with the above guy, gets better after a few spins. Its definetly better than Dark Matter Dimensions and hopefully puts SS back on track to make the quality of music they made when Alvestam was the star of the show.
30.05.2011 - 18:11
Tetravirulence
Great neoclassical leads on some parts
----
Metal News Community!! http://head-metal-bangers.blogspot.com

RIP Juhani Palomaki (1977-2010)
19.06.2011 - 16:50
neonxaos
Still a complete mystery to me that this is not in the year's top 10.
19.06.2011 - 17:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by neonxaos on 19.06.2011 at 16:50

Still a complete mystery to me that this is not in the year's top 10.

Im sure come the year's end it will be in my top 10 albums of the year anyway.
22.06.2011 - 19:53
Destructo
Ok, a bit of story if anyone cares to listen.
I had all 4 previous SS albums in my collection. For some odd reason, I never managed to listen to any of them. Now I had heard only good things about the band. And with them dropping their 5th album, it was high time I had a crack at them. And what I have listened to, I have definitely liked and enjoyed. Going back to all their previous albums now. It's a journey I'm looking forward to now !!!

Hits total: 20424 | This month: 33