Metal Storm logo
Slayer - Guitarist Contracts Acute Infection

Jeff Hanneman, guitarist and founding member of Slayer, was hospitalized late last month where he underwent emergency surgery on his right arm after contracting a serious infection, according to his band mates Kerry King, Tom Araya and Dave Lombardo.

While Hanneman's doctors were not able to definitively identify the infection's origin, they diagnosed necrotizing fasciitis (commonly known as flesh-eating disease), and indicated it likely was rooted in a spider bite. The guitarist is now recuperating at home, has already begun the process of subsequent medical procedures including skin grafts, and is expected to make a full recovery.

In light of this situation and Slayer's upcoming participation in the Australian Soundwave Festival tour that is set to kick off on February 26, the band has made the tough decision to play the dates without Hanneman, and will bring on a guest guitarist to fill in for him until such time as he has fully recovered and is ready to return to the line-up. The band will announce details about the guest guitarist shortly.

"Jeff is our brother, we've all been friends and together as a band for almost 30 years," said Araya, "so we just want him to completely recover as soon as possible."

"After everything that happened last year," King added, "we all agreed that we just can't disappoint our fans again", referring to Araya's severe back and neck pain that prompted his January 2010 surgery, unfortunately leading to the band's postponement or cancellation of numerous shows in 2009 and 2010. "Jeff is totally on board with this decision, so we will tour as planned. At this point, we can't pinpoint exactly what day he'll be back, but he'll be back as soon as he possibly can, and we can't wait for him to get his ass back out on the road."

Source: soundwavefestival.com
Band profile: Slayer
Posted: 14.02.2011 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 28   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 345 users
14.02.2011 - 00:26
cluster53

Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
14.02.2011 - 00:32
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Poor Jeffy. That flesh eating thing can be very dangerous. Seems like Jeff was caught in time though thankfully!Hope he is better soon. xD

Jeff's soloing sound is such an integral part of the Slayer sound, its going to be very interesting hearing them play without him. I wonder who they'll get to stand in...
14.02.2011 - 00:55
SlaytanicGonzo

One of my favourite guitar players, get well soon!
14.02.2011 - 00:58
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 14.02.2011 at 00:32

Poor Jeffy. That flesh eating thing can be very dangerous.

Indeed, it is extremely dangerous. I can hardly believe there won't be any lasting consequence. Imo, his arm will never be as strong as before. Lets hope he will recover as much as possible.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.02.2011 - 01:03
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 14.02.2011 at 00:58
Indeed, it is extremely dangerous. I can hardly believe there won't be any lasting consequence. Imo, his arm will never be as strong as before. Lets hope he will recover as much as possible.

That was why I was surprised when it said he would make a full recovery. There is usually lasting damage from that disease, even once its no longer life threatening. If his arm isnt as strong as it was before, it could have a detrimental effect on him returning to Slayer, as their music is very high energy, and saps a lot of energy from the strumming arm especially. Hopefully it's in his fretting arm, and he can go back to Slayer. xD
14.02.2011 - 01:09
DeathMetal

Fuck spiders!
14.02.2011 - 01:33
Jiri

Written by DeathMetal on 14.02.2011 at 01:09

Fuck spiders!

Hahaha, yeah fuck them right in the ass!
14.02.2011 - 01:37
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Agreed, I hate spiders, and am frightened of them. lol
14.02.2011 - 01:44
Mutley

So no Spidey Sense then? just FLESH EATING DISEASE.
Suppose Jeff already has awsome guitar powers anyway.
14.02.2011 - 02:01
The Voyager
The Table
Kinda sounds like a Slayer song title....Necrotizing Fasciitis.
14.02.2011 - 02:08
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Quote:
While Hanneman's doctors were not able to definitively identify the infection's origin, they diagnosed necrotizing fasciitis (commonly known as flesh-eating disease), and indicated it likely was rooted in a spider bite.

This sounds like the mischief of the brown recluse. They have a bite which causes necrosis of the skin. Most of the time, it just affect a tiny area around the bite, but sometimes the infection will be so severe, surgery is required to treat it.
14.02.2011 - 03:27
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Easily the most necro news in awhile. HAR HAR HAR *rim shot*
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
14.02.2011 - 04:38
BlankFile

This kind of bacteria is really agressive. It can kill you in a blink of an eye, if you don´t treat it really fast. I really hope that Jeff recovers from this terrible ordeal, and gets back on track playing again with the band.

|m|
14.02.2011 - 06:37
DoomGuard

Written by Guest on 14.02.2011 at 04:42

Necrotizing fasciitis, that's really serious...

is that a band name yet?

Probably already a song name....
14.02.2011 - 07:31
CliffemAll

Best of wishes, Jeff.
14.02.2011 - 07:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by The Voyager on 14.02.2011 at 02:01

Kinda sounds like a Slayer song title....Necrotizing Fasciitis.

Sounds far more like a Cannibal Corpse song title to me..

Maybe because of how Jeff contracted it, it's not as serious as it could have been. Or maybe the media are downplaying it, I dunno. But for sure, Slayer are going to miss him, as he's such an integral part of their unique sound. Hope he's back with them and fighting fit soon!
14.02.2011 - 10:16
Derelict Earth

Couldn't that fucking spider bite him in the leg at least ?
14.02.2011 - 10:39
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Feel bad for Jeff. I hope he recovers for the March show in Lisbon.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.02.2011 - 18:12
Sangre Sani

"Flesh-eating disease" is a good name for band or song too.

I hope Jeff wiill get well soon.
14.02.2011 - 18:40
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
...hmmm... looks like Karma... I predict someone from Megadeth or Metallica will be next...
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
14.02.2011 - 19:18
BrokenKnuckles

Hope he makes it out ok. Slayer is my life
14.02.2011 - 21:22
parallax

Get well, Jeff! Maybe this will be some good song-writing material.
15.02.2011 - 07:02
Symmachus

Dang, that's gotta hurt. Get well, man. That necrotizing fasciitis seems to be awfully nasty.

By the way, "Necrotizing Fasciitis" is a title of songs by the bands Viraema and Becoming the Archetype. I heard them both in the same day, ha.
15.02.2011 - 08:26
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I hope he will get well soon, I'd like to see him touring with Slayer if they ever return to Mexico again.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
15.02.2011 - 20:17
Elio
Red Nightmare
Wtf I am studying that kind of shit right now, sucks for one of my favourite bands. get better soon!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
16.02.2011 - 06:53
selken
Irreligious
That is fucking serious!!! a spider O_o, let's hope that infection gets fully cleared
----
16.02.2011 - 14:48
-Morbid-

Scary shit, hopefully he recovers well.
20.02.2011 - 08:45
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Fucking disease... hope he gets well soon....

Hits total: 5820 | This month: 6