Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden - Win Grammy Award

Last night, Iron Maiden were honored with a Grammy Award for "Best Metal Performance".

The band was nominated for the track "El Dorado", from the band's latest album The Final Frontier. The ceremony of the 53rd annual Grammy Awards was held at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Iron Maiden were not there to accept the Award as they just kicked off their Final Frontier World Tour.

This marks the first Grammy win for Iron Maiden. The band was previously nominated for "Fear of the Dark" (at the 1994 Grammys) and "The Wicker Man" (at the 2001 Grammys).

Other nominees in this year's "Metal" category were as follows:

• Iron Maiden - "El Dorado" (from The Final Frontier)
  • Korn - "Let The Guilt Go" (from Korn III: Remember Who You Are)
  • Lamb Of God - "In Your Words" (from Wrath)
  • Megadeth - "Sudden Death" (from Guitar Hero: Warriors Of Rock)
  • Slayer - "World Painted Blood" (from World Painted Blood)

Them Crooked Vultures - the rock supergroup featuring Josh Homme, John Paul Jones and Dave Grohl - picked up a Grammy Award in the "Best Hard Rock Performance" for the track "New Fang".

Source: grammy.com
Band profile: Iron Maiden
Posted: 14.02.2011 by Kallis Helmi

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 49   [ 6 ignored ]   Visited by: 420 users
14.02.2011 - 23:59
DoomGuard

Woah woah woah, so much hate for the song they showed us live? What the fucking fuck? El Dorado is fucking awesome guys. Personally, I love singing along to the main chorus, and the lyrics are a little more fresh than Harris' reused lyrics about sailing and ships...
15.02.2011 - 00:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I also find it really funny and ironic, people going on how Maiden only won because it's a "popularity contest", and saying it's because of this Slayer never won. Slayer have actually won 2 grammys in the past! (One for "Eyes Of The Insane" and another for "Final Six")
15.02.2011 - 00:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Hahahahaha. Ohhh The Grammys. Fuck 'em.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.02.2011 - 00:39
RavenKing

I find it ironic to see how Maiden won an award with one of the most awful songs they made in their entire career.
Tells a lot about mainstream people and how a crushing majority of humans have poor tastes when it comes to music.

But it's no surprise to me. I always thought that the shittiest something is the more likely it is to achieve huge success.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
15.02.2011 - 08:02
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Doc G. on 15.02.2011 at 00:35

Hahahahaha. Ohhh The Grammys. Fuck 'em.

Wisest quote on this thread, nuff' said.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
15.02.2011 - 11:14
Cryzpin

Well, I find it very positive and promising how majority of the people, the heard, are truly misinformed and disorientated about what metal is about and how vast is its kingdom, because this inaccessibility and harshness served metal very well for the past 40 or so years. Let the rotting hand of mainstream and showbiz never touch the metal wilderness.
15.02.2011 - 20:32
Newfie_Metal

The award was definitely given to acknowledge their career as a whole, otherwise this makes no sense.
15.02.2011 - 21:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Same with Deep Purple back when they got the nod over Metallica, as well as those Slayer tracks. basically the Grammys are about 20 years behind the genre.

not sure why anyone cares or what the fuss is all about.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.02.2011 - 06:47
jimmy

I was kind of torn on this. megadeth is my favorite band, but SUDDEN DEATH isn't that great a song. EL DORADO is a great song but i still wanted megadeth to win. so i got pulled in both directions. though i am happy that maiden finally won a grammy (has megadeth won any? i dont know) and finally got some recognition. kudos to them. though i dont understand why slayer was in there. didnt WPB come out like 2 years ago? why are they up for this. and wrath also came out over a year ago soooo....wtf?
and one MAJOR omission from this list was ACCEPT, who put out the best metal album of the year. yet they weren't nominated at all. that is a crime.
and i still think it's bullshit that they dont air the rock or metal awards on the show just so we can get a 20 minute rendition of aretha franklin songs or a justin bieber performance. total bullshit.

but congrats to maiden and their win. el dorado rocks.
16.02.2011 - 06:51
Symmachus

Written by Cryzpin on 15.02.2011 at 11:14

Well, I find it very positive and promising how majority of the people, the heard, are truly misinformed and disorientated about what metal is about and how vast is its kingdom, because this inaccessibility and harshness served metal very well for the past 40 or so years. Let the rotting hand of mainstream and showbiz never touch the metal wilderness.

That is an agreeable statement. Those Grammies are indeed pointless.
16.02.2011 - 07:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by BitterCOld on 15.02.2011 at 21:02
not sure why anyone cares or what the fuss is all about.

Ditto.

What's amusing, is people who claim that they don't care about the grammys, yet in the same rant contradict themselves on that. Ive seen some people saying things like, "oh, Megadeth/Dave Mustaine deserves/should win a grammy". Then if they don't win, start slamming the grammys and professing things like Megadeth being "too great" for a grammy, or other similar such language. But if they were to win, it would be a different story.
16.02.2011 - 07:39
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Hm, Overkill wasn't nominated? Oh yeah, because their not an overtly mainstream band, and popularity is obviously the sole factor in determining how good music is...

Oh well, I'm glad Megadeth didn't win. I'd hate to see them have that disgrace of an award given to them. Lets just let Lars have them, so that good metal musicians don't receive them.

To the poster above me- As a Megadeth fan, I would be disappointed if they won a Grammy.
16.02.2011 - 07:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 16.02.2011 at 07:39
To the poster above me- As a Megadeth fan, I would be disappointed if they won a Grammy.

I take it then, you're also disappointed by the fact they were even nominated? You do realise it's not only the winners which are "mainstream and popular"? All Grammy nominees are mainstream and popular. This grammy was Maiden's first ever. Have Maiden only now suddenly become popular? No, of course not. Slayer are less mainstream than Megadeth, and they've won 2 grammys.
16.02.2011 - 07:48
JCJen7

Yeah, useless show. I watched the first 20 or so minutes just to see Muse perform. Than i noticed I could just look up the winners online, since I am on the West Coast So yeah, fuck this show. Just a circle jerk for the biggest names in music.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
16.02.2011 - 07:57
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.02.2011 at 07:47

Written by Guest on 16.02.2011 at 07:39

I take it then, you're also disappointed by the fact they were even nominated? You do realise it's not only the winners which are "mainstream and popular"? All Grammy nominees are mainstream and popular. This grammy was Maiden's first ever. Have Maiden only now suddenly become popular? No, of course not. Slayer are less mainstream than Megadeth, and they've won 2 grammys.

Disappointed may be the wrong word to use... I don't know, I just dislike seeing some of my favorite bands- Maiden, Slayer, and Megadeth, at such a pathetic award ceremony. Its a joke, and its sad to see such great bands be a part of it.
16.02.2011 - 08:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 16.02.2011 at 07:57
Disappointed may be the wrong word to use... I don't know, I just dislike seeing some of my favorite bands- Maiden, Slayer, and Megadeth, at such a pathetic award ceremony. Its a joke, and its sad to see such great bands be a part of it.

Agreed totally. Even the most popular metal bands will never be truly "mainstream" anyways. When Priest won a grammy last year, virtually no-one gave applause as they went to accept the award. The vast majority of people who are interested in the grammys niether like metal, nor do they understand it. So, while some "true" metal fans like to deride any band that's even nominated, even those more mainstream (well mainstream in the metal world, anyways lol) bands do not really fit in with what the grammys are all about, or the audience they are targeted at. I for one love "El Dorado", and of course Maiden, but them winning a grammy is meaningless to me. Same with Priest and Slayer.
16.02.2011 - 08:28
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.02.2011 at 08:10

Written by Guest on 16.02.2011 at 07:57

Agreed totally. Even the most popular metal bands will never be truly "mainstream" anyways. When Priest won a grammy last year, virtually no-one gave applause as they went to accept the award. The vast majority of people who are interested in the grammys niether like metal, nor do they understand it. So, while some "true" metal fans like to deride any band that's even nominated, even those more mainstream (well mainstream in the metal world, anyways lol) bands do not really fit in with what the grammys are all about, or the audience they are targeted at. I for one love "El Dorado", and of course Maiden, but them winning a grammy is meaningless to me. Same with Priest and Slayer.

Exactly, it serves no purpose. Metalheads get irritated at how little effort goes into the nominations and awarding, and the people who watch the Grammy's just don't give a damn. Its a telling fact that Metallica, possibly the only truly mainstream metal act(the black album is the highest selling album of the Soundscan era) has won 8 Grammy's. Oh, and I also love El Dorado- A nice rocker, and average length(for Maiden standards) as opposed to the "progressive" (overly long songs with riffs repeating far to many times) style of "A Matter Of Life and Death".

To the Grammy peoples credit, King Diamond was nominated a few years back, which came as a nice surprise. It almost made the Grammy's seem like they would start actually trying to make the metal Grammy's have some meaning to metalheads. Sure they're not underground by any means, but few people outside of metal know of him- King Diamond that is. Lets just see if To Hell With God gets nominated
17.02.2011 - 05:28
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by jimmy on 16.02.2011 at 06:47
...kudos to them. though i dont understand why slayer was in there. didnt WPB come out like 2 years ago? why are they up for this. and wrath also came out over a year ago soooo....wtf?
The award is called "metal performance" referring to individual songs, regardless of the album's release. Maybe Slayer & LoG released singles or something
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
27.02.2011 - 03:03
Murder

LOL?

Hits total: 7364 | This month: 12