04. Moonlight
05. Tapestry
06. Dunsel
07. The Reign Of Unending Terror
08. Termites
09. Tongue-Splitter
10. Sex Tapes

Additional info
Produced by Julius "Juice" Butty. Mastered by João Carvalho.

Tracking at Jukasa Studios:
Engineered by Nick Blagona.
Assistant engineers: Darren "Jeter" Magierowski and Jonny Harris.
Drum technician: Jeff Zurba.
Guitar technicians: Andy Mack and Greg Pavlica.

Tracking at Silo Recording Studio:
Engineered by Julius "Juice" Butty.
Additional editing: Marco Bressette.

Themes in Sex Tapes inspired by "Prelude in C# Minor" by Sergei Rachmaninoff.

Pre-production: Cameron McLellan and George Hadji-Christou.

Artwork by Jafar Petgar. Design and layout by Ben Goetting.

Guest review by
K✞ulu
Rating:
Protest The Hero, the band that posts the stupidest and least informative studio updates in the world and makes unbelievably good music for a third record in a row; a band that managed to set itself apart in the modern technical metal world full of highly proficient musicians repeating each other's ideas or doing nothing more than demonstrating their skill, or both. Protest The Hero could have easily become just another group of wankers and a vapid screamer switching to familiar cloying singing on choruses. But this demented Canadian quintet have been different from their very first LP Kezia followed by the brilliant Fortress, and after a three year wait, Scurrilous has set the band even further apart from the trend.

Read more ››
published 06.08.2011 | Comments (4)

Staff pick dedicated to the kind people who sent me this album for free as a little bonus item for my massive order of lysergic acid diethylamide that came in yesterday. That's what I call customer service! A++ WDBA

Thryce's picks | More picks ››

Found in 24 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 40   Visited by: 595 users
14.02.2011 - 23:29
Rating: 7
Whoblehwah
Sweet, this and the new Beastie Boys album come out next month. March is going to kick ass.
24.02.2011 - 23:12
Rating: 10
Coolingsrock
Its out now online
02.03.2011 - 04:28
DjentDude
Written by Coolingsrock on 24.02.2011 at 23:12

Its out now online

DID NOT KNOW THIS

gonna take a listen..
17.03.2011 - 07:27
Rating: 8
hadriel
Once again this band doesn't fail to impress. Very solid release.
18.03.2011 - 17:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Great album, unsurprisingly.
21.03.2011 - 07:02
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Horrible. This band gets worse every album. The guys voice makes me want to throw earplugs in.
21.03.2011 - 17:02
Chobo_jokeR
Written by Guest on 21.03.2011 at 07:02

Horrible. This band gets worse every album. The guys voice makes me want to throw earplugs in.

As bad as you may think any band is, almost all albums deserve more than a 1. Get real.

I think they've gotten better with every effort. A little more song structure, which is nice.
21.03.2011 - 17:44
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 21.03.2011 at 17:02

As bad as you may think any band is, almost all albums deserve more than a 1. Get real.

I think they've gotten better with every effort. A little more song structure, which is nice.

I think they do. There was no more song structure in their music than there is in any typical deathcore band. Fortress was a much better cd. This one went straight downhill in a direction that is far away from their style. It is a very repetitive . I just was not impressed one big. All over the place. His voice just sounds horrible. In my eyes it does deserve a 1. I have seen these guys live twice, and I can honestly say they were one of the worst live sounding bands I have ever heard. They try to be better than what they actually are. In my eyes this shit is a little to poppy to be around my metal ears. I would be happy to push these guys over to the mainstream area and let them deal with it.
21.03.2011 - 21:31
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Guest on 21.03.2011 at 17:44

In my eyes this shit is a little to poppy to be around my metal ears. I would be happy to push these guys over to the mainstream area and let them deal with it.

looooooooool

You're cute.
22.03.2011 - 03:39
sasquatch
Written by Guest on 21.03.2011 at 17:44

Written by Chobo_jokeR on 21.03.2011 at 17:02

I think they do. There was no more song structure in their music than there is in any typical deathcore band. Fortress was a much better cd. This one went straight downhill in a direction that is far away from their style. It is a very repetitive . I just was not impressed one big. All over the place. His voice just sounds horrible. In my eyes it does deserve a 1. I have seen these guys live twice, and I can honestly say they were one of the worst live sounding bands I have ever heard. They try to be better than what they actually are. In my eyes this shit is a little to poppy to be around my metal ears. I would be happy to push these guys over to the mainstream area and let them deal with it.

Deathcore? Really?
22.03.2011 - 05:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'll never cease to be amazed by people's ability to be personally offended by music, having their metal sensibilities prodded like a burning hot poker up the jacksie. Being so metal must be a chore sometimes.
23.03.2011 - 15:05
shisha
It is like facebook, haters are much more loud than fans. Every similarity with facebook stops here.
25.03.2011 - 22:12
Rating: 9
MeloDeathViking
Written by Guest on 22.03.2011 at 05:53

I'll never cease to be amazed by people's ability to be personally offended by music, having their metal sensibilities prodded like a burning hot poker up the jacksie. Being so metal must be a chore sometimes.

I'm glad someone else understands how tough it is being metal! Putting on my facepaint in the morniing can take an hour just it self, but it's worth it!
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
25.03.2011 - 22:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by MeloDeathViking on 25.03.2011 at 22:12

I'm glad someone else understands how tough it is being metal! Putting on my facepaint in the morniing can take an hour just it self, but it's worth it!

Oy vey >.<
27.03.2011 - 19:14
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Let me refresh why I gave this a one.

This is all my opinion and you can't take that away from me. I have listened to it three times all the way through.

1. Sounds like shit just slopped together to make a sandwich.
2. Sweep picking does not make songs good.
3. Singers voice just gets on my nerves. He is trying for a better voice than he really has.
4. Every time I listen to this band its hard to tell if im listening to the same song I just heard ten minutes ago. It all sounds the same.

In the end it is just not for me. I really do honestly hate this album. I have seen these guys twice live and both shows I walked out on. Just not a fan.
27.03.2011 - 19:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 27.03.2011 at 19:14

This is all my opinion and you can't take that away from me. I have listened to it three times all the way through.

3. Singers voice just gets on my nerves. He is trying for a better voice than he really has.
4. Every time I listen to this band its hard to tell if im listening to the same song I just heard ten minutes ago. It all sounds the same.

In the end it is just not for me. I really do honestly hate this album. I have seen these guys twice live and both shows I walked out on. Just not a fan.

Sounds fair to me. I've given shit a 1 too. It's on the rating scale for a reason - other people just don't like when you give it to something they enjoy.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.03.2011 - 01:02
Rating: 7
Whoblehwah

Pretty much sums up what I was thinking.
30.03.2011 - 16:59
Rupert
I like sandwiches.
12.04.2011 - 05:09
DjentDude
My only gripe with this album is that the lyrics are nowhere near as epic and badass as they were on the past two albums. On fortress the lyrics were straight up power metal lyrics. These lyrics were written by the singer as opposed to the bassist and suffered because of it (albeit a couple songs that the bassist still wrote, which, suprise, have awesome lyrics). Also I agree about this band being really mainstream but that doesn't change the music! The band knows they have a crossover appeal. I wonder if the band will ever put out another masterpeice.
10.05.2011 - 02:13
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Solid stuff. I can deal with the singer's vocals enough to dig the rest of the music... Although, I wish I didn't have to "deal with it" and just like it. Oh well. Heavy, melodic, and catchy. Nothing wrong with that. =3
15.05.2011 - 08:33
The Benighted
First and last tracks were by far my favorite tracks on the album. Otherwise it kinda blended together, which I was a little bit disappointed with. Still, not a bad album at all.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
15.05.2011 - 11:30
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by The Benighted on 15.05.2011 at 08:33

First and last tracks were by far my favorite tracks on the album. Otherwise it kinda blended together, which I was a little bit disappointed with. Still, not a bad album at all.

give it a try after a while... I first also didn't like it that much, but it grew on me. It is different from their previous two albums, but it is some other way a great record.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
29.05.2011 - 19:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
I'm sorry but the voice annoys the fuck out of me. I really tried to like this stuff but meh... The music can't save everything also. I can see why people like it though but not my cup of tea
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.05.2011 - 22:56
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Just listening to Protest the Hero for the first time...The vocalist really reminds me of the one in the Mars Volta for some reason, probably due to the *almost* unbearably high pitch. Definitely not the weakest part of the record for me. Those riffs are nice, melodic and catchy; production is tight and you can hear everything well. Lots of interesting internal variations in the tunes. The lyricism, however, keeps me from headbanging-- rather cheesy and lacks the intricacy that attracts me. As well, very few risks. Solid, but not quite enough for an 8. A very accomplished 7 (towards 7.6-7.9, but I round down in this case).
24.06.2011 - 01:16
Parasomnia
Written by Rupert on 30.03.2011 at 16:59

I like sandwiches.

+1 haahaha!
28.08.2011 - 01:33
ThisIsEndgame
Written by Guest on 27.03.2011 at 19:14

Reasons why you shouldn't be allowed to rate
1) You take a band with extremely complex tapping and sweeping riffs and arpeggios and say they just slapped it together and it is structured like deathcore.
2) You say one of the best vocalists when it comes to range and actual ability to sing is "Just trying to be better than he really is"
3) You have no clue what you're talking about.
4) Their sound has differenciated so much from their first album that it is surprising.
5) You take a band with 5 members that are all VERY talented and give it a 1, when anyone with a brain knows that much talent doesn't get close to a 1.
Get real please.
----
\m/ Next thing you know they'll take my thought away! \m/
28.08.2011 - 01:35
ThisIsEndgame
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.05.2011 at 19:28

I'm sorry but the voice annoys the fuck out of me. I really tried to like this stuff but meh... The music can't save everything also. I can see why people like it though but not my cup of tea

Understandable. At least you're understanding and don't just give it a one because you don't like it like that other guy
----
\m/ Next thing you know they'll take my thought away! \m/
28.08.2011 - 23:57
opeth771
This is by far their best albums and the vocals are just awesome. C'est la vie has got to be one of the best songs ever written
10.09.2011 - 10:22
Night Sight
The music is good enough to rate it 8 but the vocal is really crap
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
10.09.2011 - 14:01
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
For me the vocals are a big part of why I like this album. Opinions do differ a lot. I think they sound great
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 15157 | This month: 24