07. End Of The World
08. Two Skies
09. Through The Storm
10. Born To Rock
11. Interlude
12. Hysteria
13. Back To The Evil Age
14. Outro

Aww fuck! Not again! Why? For fuck sakes, why?! You've got some solid, heavy riffs, and music that sounds like metal...then you find the most pussified singer you can, and fuck the whole thing up. Out of sheer contrast Dream Of Illusion's singer sounds way, way too feminine. Not the badass kind of feminine either, not the switchblade-wielding-transvestite feminine, more of that "watched Love Actually too many times" feminine.

Granted, the music ain't that great either. The riffs are there for sure, and the odd one does stand out from time to time, but a significant portion Decadence makes it another boring, generic offering. Oddly enough, every time - literally every time a pounding, thrashy riff comes out, they kill it faster than your neighbours yapping shih tzu. "Mistery" opens up with probably the high note of the album - if the entire album kept up this quality, you would be reading an infinitely more positive review right now. It's aggressive, thrashy, and unbelievably catchy. Not even the lead singers forgettable whining is capable of killing this track - why couldn't they keep it up? Yes, they absolutely show signs of picking things back up a bit - quite frequently too, but they intentionally destroy their own creation and pretty much rip the metal out of this house of cards. I can almost picture the band talking amongst themselves while rehearsing; "Here's a good riff, it's pretty heavy, so we're going to need to take the balls out of it in case someone mistakes us for a metal band or something."

Seriously, "potential" is an easy word to throw around. It's often used to soften the blow against a band whom you just shit all over, but it actually fits here. These guys have talent, and it would be nice to see them succeed, they just have to stop aborting all the good ideas that are developing here. Oh yeah, and make the vocalist watch Rambo or something.

Written on 17.02.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 141 users
17.02.2011 - 02:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Man, you seem to be getting a lot of shit lately.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.02.2011 - 03:07
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.02.2011 at 02:58

Yes, when it rains, it pours. I seem to have some other stuff coming up soon that ranges from ok to really good.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.02.2011 - 06:00
Destructo
What's the stuff among the "really good" pile that U would recommend ?? All I've got in 2011 is albums ranging only in the 7-8 rating scale. Nothing has touched a 9 or 10 as yet for me.
17.02.2011 - 07:00
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Destructo on 17.02.2011 at 06:00

What's the stuff among the "really good" pile that U would recommend ?? All I've got in 2011 is albums ranging only in the 7-8 rating scale. Nothing has touched a 9 or 10 as yet for me.

Most of these have a release date in March, so you'll have to check my reviews then.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.02.2011 - 07:35
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Poopy music
----
Coldgrits
18.02.2011 - 03:58
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Rambo
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
18.02.2011 - 15:31
Danyael
Cool review, but I personally think you're being too harsh on the vocals. To me it sounds like your somewhat average power metal singer. I do prefer a bit more aggressive too, but calling this feminine is a bit too much. Take Andre Matos, who's an excellent singer, or Joachim Cans for example. Both great singers, but they both have their "feminine" moments more than anyone I've heard. Ok, aside from that dude from Darkness lol.
18.02.2011 - 15:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 17.02.2011 at 03:07

Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.02.2011 at 02:58

Yes, when it rains, it pours. I seem to have some other stuff coming up soon that ranges from ok to really good.

are you obliged to review them or do you just do it out of masochism?
01.03.2011 - 07:53
BudDa
Elite
Haha..for a moment there..I thought it was the Swedish female fronted melodeath thrash band
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.

Hits total: 5105 | This month: 10