05. Venus Project
06. Dark Creations, Dead Creators
07. Fast Paced Society
08. Outer Isolation

Top 20 albums of 2011: 7

Staff review by
Troy Killjoy
Rating:
Oh shit, the Killjoy is reviewing a thrash metal album. Brace yourselves.

ADD-friendly review: This is not the worst album of the revivalist thrash movement I've come across.

In spite of my pseudo-crusade against anything revivalist, I admittedly found Vektor's Outer Isolation to be a clear step above the rest. Now, I compared these guys to Toxik when I first listened to the over-hyped debut, Black Future. They immediately built success off that sound, a highly technical form of thrash metal that even drew some appreciation from the prog crowd. Yet, people kept telling me how much more they had in common with Voivod, so I took a break and caught up with those old school thrashers.

Read more ››
published 03.12.2011 | Comments (193)

Found in 64 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 131   Visited by: 1262 users
30.11.2011 - 02:57
Mattybu

Wow this suddenly appeared at #1 of 2011. Have to check it out now.
01.12.2011 - 18:37
Darkside Momo
Retired
I should probably be checking the whole album, "Dark Creation, Dark Creators" was pretty damn good.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
03.12.2011 - 01:59
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Lots of swell technical virtuosity on display, but somehow missing the balls/edge. i guess i liken it to Megadeth's "Rust In Peace", cool stuff going on, but just missing the balls of "Peace Sells" to accompany the virtuosity. sometimes ditching some fretboard gymnastic for just muted low-e chugging every now and then is a good thing.

for thrash releases this year, i'm leaning towards Havok.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.12.2011 - 19:27
TrollandDie

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.11.2011 at 20:19

Written by Angelic Storm on 24.11.2011 at 13:21
In fact, I find newer albums by the thrash veterans like Sodom, Overkill, Testament and Exodus to be far superior to anything these newer thrash bands are releasing.

Likewise. At first I thought I was being a thrash elitist or a snob but then I started listening to the old bands' new releases and I was like...huh, I guess I do like modern thrash, it just so happens that all the modern thrash I like happens to be coming from bands that have been playing since before I was born.

I think there are several reasons for that:

The older bands still have a good knowledge of how to make an LP sound fucking heavy. Am I the only person who notices that old school bands make their albums still sound heavy and have a strong solid base for production quality? Meanwhile, many new-school bands have a tendency to make it sound ''lightweight''. I guess it's supposed to put emphasis on the fast tempo but it just sounds so weak. The drumming isn't just overproduced but leaves little impression (no real input for holding the rhythm sections tight).

I guess the next part is variety: Ranging from Exodus to Sepultura to Demolition Hammer to Sodom to Heathen to Toxik and so on. All these groups had their own individual style and added a lot of charisma to an overall generic genre. This originality is what led to thrash metal legends being born. Nowadays it seems there's no room for creativity: it's true that they're a lot of styles applied (Toxic Holocaust with black; Warbringer with death) but strucure-wise it all sounds similar to one another. It lacks any real character or notoriety to be built upon bands (with the exception of one or two) and become all one nauseating blur to headbang to.

Finally, I don't know about some of you but it seems like new bands just can't step above mediocrity. I mean, for some groups it seems every song is eitheir the same-or features the same boring ideals at least. With Exodus' latest dose of thrash, they fucking knew how to change it up a bit. With most modern groups I hear (uhh...play fast....now play fast again but with some more double bass here, a little bass guitar there and VOILA! A new song) I'm half-asleep by the fourth track.

Don't get me wrong. Some bands that have come out of the scene are fucking amazing: some real awesome musicians who show a true love for all things heavy. But it seems like an over-saturation of mediocre stuff is just how it goes. Thrash was an evolutionary step in extreme metal (death, industrial, death doom etc.) and some bands show there is a reason to go back to it. Then there are others who show why it went in the first place.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
04.12.2011 - 21:32
Mattybu

Listened to Dying World and liking this album a whole lot. Definitely buying at some point.
05.12.2011 - 00:27
Rating: 9
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Mattybu on 04.12.2011 at 21:32

Listened to Dying World and liking this album a whole lot. Definitely buying at some point.

and you've listened to the worst song!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
05.12.2011 - 02:45
Mattybu

Written by Deadmeat on 05.12.2011 at 00:27

Written by Mattybu on 04.12.2011 at 21:32

and you've listened to the worst song!

07.12.2011 - 18:19
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Kvltness_94 on 07.12.2011 at 17:47

And btw, Dying World is the best song from the album, way more straight-forward than the other ones.

sorry but if your fav song is dying world then you are not into the band at all. this is probably the worst song the band ever wrote (i am talking about it's musicianship)
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
08.12.2011 - 04:09
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Kvltness_94 on 07.12.2011 at 18:52

Written by Deadmeat on 07.12.2011 at 18:19

Written by Kvltness_94 on 07.12.2011 at 17:47

And btw, Dying World is the best song from the album, way more straight-forward than the other ones.

sorry but if your fav song is dying world then you are not into the band at all. this is probably the worst song the band ever wrote (i am talking about it's musicianship)

I don't give a fuck about its musicianship, all I care is the musicianship.

fix'd
09.12.2011 - 21:46
Rating: 8
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Kvltness_94 on 08.12.2011 at 19:23

OMG LIEK MY MUSIK TASTE IS SUPERIOR THAN YOURZ LOL I LISTNE TO VIKTOR JSUT 2 SAY IM MUCH MOAR INTELLEGENT DAN U MUSICALLY
fix'd

you failed at either being funny or being a troll or being whatever else you might've tried to achieve
10.12.2011 - 17:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Lay off personal insults. i've already issued two warnings in Troy's review thread.

and don't bother with KVLT or whatever, he's on vacation for a few days and if he continues to post/spam/multi-account he won't be back for long anyways. not worth the trouble of responding to.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.12.2011 - 00:40
The Benighted

It wouldn't be Metal if people weren't arguing violently with each other ^_^
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
02.01.2012 - 00:36
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Kvltness_94 on 31.12.2011 at 23:25

Written by Daniell on 09.12.2011 at 21:46

Written by Kvltness_94 on 08.12.2011 at 19:23

OMG LIEK MY MUSIK TASTE IS SUPERIOR THAN YOURZ LOL I LISTNE TO VIKTOR JSUT 2 SAY IM MUCH MOAR INTELLEGENT DAN U MUSICALLY
fix'd

you failed at either being funny or being a troll or being whatever else you might've tried to achieve

You failed to perceive that I wasn't trying to achieve anything at all.

Surprise, surprise.
14.01.2012 - 18:52
Rating: 10
Vikcen
Metálico
To my ears this album is an instant classic of Metal from these times, this is a good example of the technique at the service of the good composition, OUTSTANDING.
14.01.2012 - 23:31
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Vikcen on 14.01.2012 at 18:52

To my ears this album is an instant classic of Metal from these times, this is a good example of the technique at the service of the good composition, OUTSTANDING.

Have you listened to Black Future? After that one, Outer Isolation seems kind of derivative of that; at least not as impressive. So I would rather apply your description to Black Future.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
06.02.2012 - 16:23
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
This must be the greatest disappointment of 2011 for me. After Black Future, my expectations were over the top. Outer Isolation just fails to impress me in any way.

The main observation is that the re-recorded songs from 2006 are way better than the new material, which was not the case with Black Future. The songs on the new record seem somehow bland and unoriginal; not many things actually stand out and make you want to listen more. Outer Isolation merely surpasses the boredom threshold in my case.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

07.02.2012 - 01:01
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by K✞ulu on 06.02.2012 at 16:23
This must be the greatest disappointment of 2011 for me. After Black Future, my expectations were over the top. Outer Isolation just fails to impress me in any way.

The main observation is that the re-recorded songs from 2006 are way better than the new material, which was not the case with Black Future. The songs on the new record seem somehow bland and unoriginal; not many things actually stand out and make you want to listen more. Outer Isolation merely surpasses the boredom threshold in my case.
I must almost-agree, I'm afraid. Not my faaaavourite Vektor release...

Enjoy the touring, guys but please, before drawing the next writing sessions to a close, grab any true inspiration you happen upon with all your thousands of fingers!
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
07.02.2012 - 03:12
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by K✞ulu on 06.02.2012 at 16:23

i seem to agree (too). i FUCKING LOVE the 3 rerecorded songs and thats why i'll rate it higher than you but the new songs are not equal to them and not even equal to songs like DNA, asteroid or the amazing Hunger For Violence (also EP-single song). from the new songs the only COMPLETED song i find is ECHOLESS CHAMBER. this is a really great song with no weak moments.

on the other songs i find Cosmic Cortex just decent (and dont get at all the hype around it that even the band creates), Dying World average to mediocre and surely the worst of the album (not great riffs and also NO LEADS), DCDC is a nice short song with a great ending but nothing spectacular too and finally Outer Isolation is decent (as Cosmic Cortex) in the first 4-5 minutes and then it offers us the greatest moments of the album with an epic ending.

generally i expected MUCH more from Disanto. the new fans may love this stuff (i am pretty sure about that) but for me this isn't equal to the previous work of the band.
----
07.02.2012 - 09:20
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Deadmeat on 07.02.2012 at 03:12

i seem to agree (too). i FUCKING LOVE the 3 rerecorded songs and thats why i'll rate it higher than you but the new songs are not equal to them and not even equal to songs like DNA, asteroid or the amazing Hunger For Violence (also EP-single song). from the new songs the only COMPLETED song i find is ECHOLESS CHAMBER. this is a really great song with no weak moments.

on the other songs i find Cosmic Cortex just decent (and dont get at all the hype around it that even the band creates), Dying World average to mediocre and surely the worst of the album (not great riffs and also NO LEADS), DCDC is a nice short song with a great ending but nothing spectacular too and finally Outer Isolation is decent (as Cosmic Cortex) in the first 4-5 minutes and then it offers us the greatest moments of the album with an epic ending.

generally i expected MUCH more from Disanto. the new fans may love this stuff (i am pretty sure about that) but for me this isn't equal to the previous work of the band.

Finally, I have heard your opinion. "Outer Isolation" has that great solo in the second half; that one is amazing. DCDC has its moments, but then it's mostly the re-recorded stuff that is great; everything else is ok; there is nothing that even comes close to Black Future.

off-topic: so who are you voting for in the thrash category this year? I am clueless... Any recommendations before I vote for Havok and give up on thrash altogether?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

07.02.2012 - 13:48
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by K✞ulu on 07.02.2012 at 09:20

Written by Deadmeat on 07.02.2012 at 03:12

Finally, I have heard your opinion. "Outer Isolation" has that great solo in the second half; that one is amazing. DCDC has its moments, but then it's mostly the re-recorded stuff that is great; everything else is ok; there is nothing that even comes close to Black Future.

off-topic: so who are you voting for in the thrash category this year? I am clueless... Any recommendations before I vote for Havok and give up on thrash altogether?

if you like black future for the awesome GUITAR WORK and generally if you like GREAT LEADS in a song then check Sacred Ally. http://sacredally.bandcamp.com/

probably they are not a contender for "the BEST thrash album of the year" but i can assure you that YOU MAY find them "the most ENJOYABLE thrash album of the year"! every song has at least 1,5 minute of soloing (with leads too etc), except the first one, "Math" i think. go give them a try. Kermit The Prog, Despair, Final Juggernaut, Uzumaki are great (how funny song titles i know!)
----
01.06.2012 - 02:56
neiluria

I was disappointed...
15.07.2012 - 17:56
Poirot

A bit disappointed that it's more straight-forward thrash with fewer space themed songs, but it's still Vektor. You have to listen to it. 3 tracks are from their Demolition demo and are basically the best songs on the album, along with Cosmic Cortex and the title track.
27.08.2012 - 02:16
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I'm looking for this CD and I'm hoping to find it for a decent price if anybody is interested in helping my search or willing to sell it.
11.11.2012 - 20:58
Mattybu

Written by Guest on 27.08.2012 at 02:16

I'm looking for this CD and I'm hoping to find it for a decent price if anybody is interested in helping my search or willing to sell it.

got it on amazon.ca the other day for $20. More than worth it and since amazon was the seller it shipped in 3 days. so fuckin awesome
11.11.2012 - 21:36
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Mattybu on 11.11.2012 at 20:58

Written by Guest on 27.08.2012 at 02:16

got it on amazon.ca the other day for $20. More than worth it and since amazon was the seller it shipped in 3 days. so fuckin awesome

I already got it a couple months ago for $13.
12.11.2012 - 00:47
Mattybu

Written by Guest on 11.11.2012 at 21:36

I already got it a couple months ago for $13.

Nice, I didn't check the date whoops xD
26.05.2013 - 13:16
Wiillak

This Album made a sweet period of time when I listened to it. they rules \m/
28.02.2014 - 13:27
Iceman1979

"A proper review should focus more on the music than this, no? Well it's hard to focus on what's being presented here because it's all been done before and so much better. "

I disagree strongly with this statement. If I take examples of the older bands mentioned in the review: Voivoid is much, much, much softer than Vektor (I am actually listening to The Outer Limits as we speak). Destruction, Coroner and Watchtower were not doing the same thing Vektor is doing now. Vektor is far more brutal, more technical, their songwriting and riffs are quite different, more progressive, and for me Vektor is some sort of thrashy-extreme metal/thrash, sometimes even not very far from some types of black metal, while Destruction, Coroner and Watchtower are basic thrash. The vocals are an important part of the difference for me too. I enjoy Vektor's Outer Isolation much more than any album with Voivoid, Destruction, Coroner and Watchtower (again, just talking about the bands mentioned in the review). I find the music to be quite different in style as well. I also find Vektor rather original, so I don't understand why they only get 4 out of 10 for originality. I would give them at least 7,5/10 in that aspect (or even more). 8,5 or 9 in the others.
04.03.2014 - 21:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Iceman1979 on 28.02.2014 at 13:27
comment

You probably shouldn't get too worked up over such an awful review - I'm not surprised it was so poorly received and so many people disagreed with it. Arrogant writing based more on weak attempts at humor as opposed to taking a more diplomatic approach and explaining my thoughts in a less dramatic way.

Personally I'd rather not have a review like this (amongst many others) attached to my name but it's always good to look back on these kinds of things to keep my ego in check.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.03.2014 - 00:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.03.2014 at 21:04

Written by Iceman1979 on 28.02.2014 at 13:27
comment

You probably shouldn't get too worked up over such an awful review - I'm not surprised it was so poorly received and so many people disagreed with it. Arrogant writing based more on weak attempts at humor as opposed to taking a more diplomatic approach and explaining my thoughts in a less dramatic way.

Personally I'd rather not have a review like this (amongst many others) attached to my name but it's always good to look back on these kinds of things to keep my ego in check.

I think the ratings are fine though (Ok, the 4 is a bit extreme but they don't deserve more than a 6 either). The text itself though... Yeah.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 30683 | This month: 39