This is where to find post/sludge/atmospheric metal suggestions

Original post

Posted by tea[m]ster, 23.02.2011 - 23:02
Here's a good one on my list, no vocals but excellent music none the less...

Three Steps to the Ocean - Until Today Becomes Yesterday

http://www.myspace.com/threestepstotheocean
21.01.2012 - 19:43
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Merchant of Doom on 21.01.2012 at 15:12

*Shels!!!

yep, good stuff indeed
----
rekt
21.01.2012 - 19:45
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
My post rock album of the year for 2011:

----
rekt
21.01.2012 - 19:48
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
My sludge metal album of the year 2011:

----
rekt
21.01.2012 - 20:22
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
My post metal album of the year 2011:

----
rekt
22.01.2012 - 19:03
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Post metal ala Isis from Spain...good shit

----
rekt
24.01.2012 - 02:05
IronAngel
Written by tea[m]ster on 05.01.2012 at 03:00

Also, one genre I am new to but not sure if I'm on board is post-hardcore. I am digging Amia Venera Landscape and I also just listened to Young And In The Way - I Am Not What I Am
Do you have any other recs in this catagory?

Sorry for late response, I noticed it when you posted but kinda forgot about it as I didn't immediately have much to say.

I don't know the genre too well, I think most of it has been pretty radio-friendly teenager music. But there's good stuff there too, of course. I'll also throw in some screamo recommendations, because it's very close to post-hardcore and the genre discussed here, and I've had more luck in that field. And frankly, I'm not sure what exactly qualifies as post-hardcore.

Rinoa
Envy
Devil Sold His Soul
Pianos Become The Teeth
Pageninetynine (sometimes spelled Pg.99 or something)
Maths
Carpathian
Majority Rule
Funeral Diner
Touché Amoré
Thrice
La Dispute
Defeater
Ampere
Gospel
I Would Set Myself On Fire For You
A Cold Dead Body
Poison The Well
At The Drive-In (maybe a bit too radio-friendly for me, same with Poison The Well)

Then there's older stuff like Unwound and Fugazi (their Repeater is a bit of a classic, I think), but not really familiar with what happened in the 90s and earlier.

If you're not afraid of going into more alt-rock territory, the latest album "No Devolución" from Thursday is brilliant. One of my favorite albums of 2011, such solid songwriting. If you like them, you might want to try Thrice whom I also mentioned (but don't like nearly as much). And on that note, I think Hum are considered somewhat post-hardcore too. Their 1997 classic Downward Is Heavenward is rather good, but maybe not your cup of tea.
24.01.2012 - 11:29
The Turbanator
@ tea[m]ster

Very nice choices man. Hull is indeed great. I'll check the others in a bit. Looking forward for more recommendations from you.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
25.01.2012 - 02:35
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Quote:
Written by IronAngel on 24.01.2012 at 02:05

Sorry for late response, I noticed it when you posted but kinda forgot about it as I didn't immediately have much to say.

Thanks for the recs IronAngel. I'll be sure to check them out. Rinoa and Hum I already have, good suggestions there. Btw, check out my new list:

http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2007&page=&message_id=
----
rekt
25.01.2012 - 02:38
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by The Turbanator on 24.01.2012 at 11:29

@ tea[m]ster

Very nice choices man. Hull is indeed great. I'll check the others in a bit. Looking forward for more recommendations from you.

Thanks man. I love sharing terrific music discoveries with my fellow metal-heads! I created a "best of" 2011, check it out here:

http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2007&page=&message_id=
----
rekt
25.01.2012 - 03:40
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Old but good...

----
rekt
25.01.2012 - 18:36
The Turbanator
Written by tea[m]ster on 25.01.2012 at 03:40

Old but good...

Yeah this album is great. Checking out your list now. Already loving Dirge and Jet Plane. Neila as well. Like you said, sounds similar to Isis.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
26.01.2012 - 03:37
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by The Turbanator on 25.01.2012 at 18:36

Yeah this album is great. Checking out your list now. Already loving Dirge and Jet Plane. Neila as well. Like you said, sounds similar to Isis.

Alot of good stuff on that list. Thanks for checking it out. Stayed tuned for more recs!
----
rekt
29.01.2012 - 23:09
The Turbanator
Sleestak has released a new album! Must have for all post metal fans. Fantastic band.

http://sleestak.bandcamp.com/album/altrusian-moon-a-lo-fi-collection-of-psychedelia-and-space-rock
----
01.02.2012 - 09:15
The Turbanator
Progressive Post Metal :

----
02.02.2012 - 04:57
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
More Isis sounding stuff...not bad either:

----
rekt
02.02.2012 - 23:14
baldur
Nothing compares to isis!
03.02.2012 - 00:56
IronAngel
Written by baldur on 02.02.2012 at 23:14

Nothing compares to isis!

In terms of being boring, uninspired and on a long downhill slide, you mean? They had basically two nice albums and that's it.
03.02.2012 - 02:35
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by IronAngel on 03.02.2012 at 00:56

In terms of being boring, uninspired and on a long downhill slide, you mean? They had basically two nice albums and that's it.

Iron, I didn't realize you weren't an Isis fan. I am surprised! I think Wavering Radiant is one of the best post albums ever! Curious to which two you think are decent?
----
rekt
03.02.2012 - 12:24
IronAngel
I'm pretty mainstream: I like Oceanic and Panopticon. The rest of the albums are decent, but I don't feel they stand out in the genre at all. I think their two last albums were their two worst. Both In the Absence and Wavering Radiant had good moments, but other times they just sounded so tedious.

I don't really dislike their music. I guess it's like the Explosions In The Sky -effect: some mediocre band is praised to high heavens as a standard to measure the genre against, and that creates an unfavorable reaction.
03.02.2012 - 22:09
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by IronAngel on 03.02.2012 at 12:24

but other times they just sounded so tedious.

Weird. I think Oceanic, Panopticon and Absense can be lumbed together - not much difference to me. Where as Wavering has some of most original post-metal song writing I've heard yet (especially the first 3 tracks). Oh well, this is what makes metal great; Everybody's specific tastes!
----
rekt
03.02.2012 - 22:11
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
New instrumental post-rock 2012!

----
rekt
04.02.2012 - 10:25
The Turbanator
Written by tea[m]ster on 03.02.2012 at 22:11

New instrumental post-rock 2012!

This is brilliant!
----
11.02.2012 - 07:21
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I might put this on my 2011 list. Instrumental/atmospheric/post-metal/sludge stuff from USA

----
rekt
11.02.2012 - 20:50
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
This is from 2005 but a good band none the less.

----
rekt
11.02.2012 - 21:07
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Another I could have added to my list for 2011...so many post-rock albums, so little time

----
rekt
13.02.2012 - 00:53
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by tea[m]ster on 11.02.2012 at 07:21

I might put this on my 2011 list. Instrumental/atmospheric/post-metal/sludge stuff from USA

I'm really loving this at the moment, the heavy parts are awesome
thanks
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
13.02.2012 - 00:56
IronAngel
Irepress are so good. Really one of the best groups playing such heavier kind of post-rock. I like them way better than all that Russian Circles/Caspian/Pelican stuff.
13.02.2012 - 00:58
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Morne - Excellent post/sludge from the US. Asylum (their latest) was one of my favourite records last year:

----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
13.02.2012 - 15:23
baldur
Written by IronAngel on 13.02.2012 at 00:56

Irepress are so good. Really one of the best groups playing such heavier kind of post-rock. I like them way better than all that Russian Circles/Caspian/Pelican stuff.

Nonografistole Adendum (Trampled To Death By Love)
14.02.2012 - 02:45
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by IronAngel on 13.02.2012 at 00:56

Yea , they have another release in 2009 that's really good too. Thanks for the We Made God suggestion btw!
----
rekt