Metal Storm logo
This is where to find post/sludge/atmospheric metal suggestions

Original post

Posted by Deadsoulman, 13.05.2011 - 12:48
I see no one has mentioned Black Shape Of Nexus. Absolutely crushing, utterly riff-based sludge (except the Microbarome Meetings album which is pure drone) from Germany. They have a couple of releases available for download on their website, especially the Live in Mannheim tape is devastating. I've given a shot to pretty much their whole discography and you can't go wrong with these guys.
15.03.2012 - 03:26
Branzig
To confusing for me, I'll just stick in the "Extreme" threads.

IMO, that's how metal is supposed to be played anyway, ballz out and broooootal!
----
In Grind We Crust
15.03.2012 - 06:00
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by IronAngel on 15.03.2012 at 02:45

No, not really.

Great synopsis IronAngel! I'd like to add a few more "characteristics" and/or "facts" (opinions?)
- the term "post-metal" refers to the HEAVY bass guitar and noodle-y guitars and reverb.
- songs tend to start slow and "build up"
- Order of "dominance" or "importance" or "landmarks" in the genre: Godflesh...Neurosis...Cult of Luna...Isis...Rosetta...next?
----
rekt
15.03.2012 - 06:03
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by Branzig on 15.03.2012 at 03:26

To confusing for me, I'll just stick in the "Extreme" threads.

Don't give up so easy man. Give these a try:

Godflesh - Streetcleaner
Isis - Panopticon
Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along The Highway
Mouth Of The Arcitect - Quietly
Rosetta - Wake/Lift
----
rekt
15.03.2012 - 20:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by tea[m]ster on 15.03.2012 at 06:03
Godflesh - Streetcleaner

I approve of this. Few cds are as crushing than that album. But I guess he has a different view of what is extreme.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.03.2012 - 20:25
Branzig

Don't give up so easy man. Give these a try:

Godflesh - Streetcleaner
Isis - Panopticon
Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along The Highway
Mouth Of The Arcitect - Quietly
Rosetta - Wake/Lift

Godflesh was good. I could listen to them and not get bored.

Isis as well.

Didn't care much for the rest...all the slow and clean parts on the other albums reminded me of "post-hardcore" a little to much. Like old-school Underoath...just my opinion.
----
In Grind We Crust
15.03.2012 - 22:48
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by Branzig on 15.03.2012 at 20:25

Didn't care much for the rest...all the slow and clean parts on the other albums reminded me of "post-hardcore" a little to much. Like old-school Underoath...just my opinion.

Yes, I guess post-rock/metal/hardcore are acquired tastes. I love to get nasty too and throw on some Nile or Carcass but for me I love atmosphere and the "awkward post-metal silence" (as my daughter puts it) that goes along with post-metal.
----
rekt
15.03.2012 - 22:51
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.03.2012 at 20:12

Godflesh - Streetcleaner

I guess he has a different view of what is extreme.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. What is extreme to one may not be to the other...and that's ok...even though he just shot down my favorite genre OF ALL TIME
----
rekt
15.03.2012 - 22:52
Branzig
Written by tea[m]ster on 15.03.2012 at 22:48

Yes, I guess post-rock/metal/hardcore are acquired tastes.

I agree! Much like how my Kvlt Madness and love for extremely lo-fi and raw music is very much an acquired taste as well.

Most people think I have the worst taste in music ever, just because it never gets too crusty for me lol.
----
In Grind We Crust
15.03.2012 - 23:02
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Now, back to some music...

Instrumental post-rock/metal...typical stuff in the genre...yet I continue to listen!

----
rekt
15.03.2012 - 23:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by tea[m]ster on 15.03.2012 at 22:51
Yep, my thoughts exactly. What is extreme to one may not be to the other...and that's ok...even though he just shot down my favorite genre OF ALL TIME

I found it funny that I always felt post-metal was one of my favorite genres but when I read ironangel's comment.... It seems I preffer the so called prototypes than the actual genre...

I guess it's like prog in my case: I Don't like many bands that are just prog... I just appreciate it a lot because so many bands I love mix prog with other (usually) extreme genres like Black, death or doom.
Now just exchange prog with post-metal and it would be quite accurate for me. Few stuff of this thread actually stays in my brain which is a shame, I like the music but it just doesn't stay too long.
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.03.2012 - 21:57
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by X-Ray Rod on 15.03.2012 at 23:28

Few stuff of this thread actually stays in my brain which is a shame, I like the music but it just doesn't stay too long.

I know what you are saying. I kinda feel the same about progressive metal. Got tired of hearing clones and same stuff. Nothing was new or stood out (maybe Darkology). My prog metal interest has died down quite a bit lately. Where as I like the challenge of listening to a ton of post-rock/metal/hardcore/sludge/atmo bandcamp and soundcloud pages, trying to find the next Rosetta or Isis.

BTW, if you are looking for something in this genre that might stay in your head a while give a listen to Amia Venera Landscape - The Long Procession (2010)
----
rekt
16.03.2012 - 22:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by tea[m]ster on 16.03.2012 at 21:57
Where as I like the challenge of listening to a ton of post-rock/metal/hardcore/sludge/atmo bandcamp and soundcloud pages, trying to find the next Rosetta or Isis.

BTW, if you are looking for something in this genre that might stay in your head a while give a listen to Amia Venera Landscape - The Great Procession (2010)

Yeah, I clearly understand your feelings on the first part I quoted. It's the same feelins I have for black and doom... I'm willing to go through shit to get the gems and with Post-metal I'm just not as motivated but my interest definitely hasn't died!
I still lurk around here without commenting Thanks for the bonus recommendation. Will try to save some time and listen to it asap.
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.03.2012 - 22:13
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.03.2012 at 22:01

I still lurk around here without commenting Thanks for the bonus recommendation. Will try to save some time and listen to it asap.

Alright man, I try to put something on here daily...and not some random shit that won't stick in our heads Onwards!!!....
----
rekt
16.03.2012 - 22:14
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Usually I am not a big fan of the two-minute song but this sludge/stoner act has a nice sound!!

----
rekt
20.03.2012 - 22:53
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
UK experimental/sludge/drone/shoegaze band reminding me alot of Jesu and Junius

Download all their music for FREE here: http://chuter.bandcamp.com/

----
rekt
20.03.2012 - 23:02
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Awesome instrumental post-metal band with alot of releases...

----
rekt
21.03.2012 - 17:38
InnerSelf
proofread free
http://fireinthecave.bandcamp.com/

They say that they sound like Rosetta so tea[m]ster off you go
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
21.03.2012 - 19:24
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by InnerSelf on 21.03.2012 at 17:38

http://fireinthecave.bandcamp.com/

They say that they sound like Rosetta so tea[m]ster off you go

Thanks for the rec Inner! I'll check it out, I love bandcamp!
----
rekt
22.03.2012 - 00:49
IronAngel
Nobody reads the general music forums anyway, so I'll just repost my recommendation here:
Written by IronAngel on 16.03.2012 at 00:52

For whatever reason, Spotify only has the Gifts From Enola side of the Well Worn split with Caravels. The Gifts side sounds good, though:

23.03.2012 - 22:01
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by IronAngel on 22.03.2012 at 00:49

so I'll just repost my recommendation here:

On it.
----
rekt
24.03.2012 - 07:05
The Turbanator
This album is excellent!

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
24.03.2012 - 17:40
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by The Turbanator on 24.03.2012 at 07:05

This album is excellent!

Yes, good stuff. They have two other releases: An EP and LP...google is your friend!
----
rekt
25.03.2012 - 08:42
The Turbanator
Written by tea[m]ster on 24.03.2012 at 17:40

Written by The Turbanator on 24.03.2012 at 07:05

This album is excellent!

Yes, good stuff. They have two other releases: An EP and LP...google is your friend!

Ha, yeah man. I have them.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
27.03.2012 - 03:25
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
post-metal/sludge...get at it.

----
rekt
27.03.2012 - 03:45
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Instrumental post-rock/experimental...able.

----
rekt
28.03.2012 - 00:31
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Post-rock from Buenos Aires. Muy Bien.

----
rekt
28.03.2012 - 03:14
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster - the band, not the incident involving the swaying-then-collapsing bridge, is post- worth checking out.

new review is up. bandcamp is here.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.03.2012 - 10:57
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by BitterCOld on 28.03.2012 at 03:14

Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster - the band, not the incident involving the swaying-then-collapsing bridge, is post- worth checking out.

new review is up. bandcamp is here.

Sweet find! A lot of post rock/alt rock thrown in as well.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
28.03.2012 - 21:28
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Intrumental post-rock from Sweden. They have 4 releases. This is a song from their latest album "Key".....stop, don't go, this is not another EITS or Red Sparowes clone...ok it is but it's really good.

----
rekt
28.03.2012 - 22:00
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
HOLYFUCKINGSHIT! One of the best listens so far in 2012. Liam is a side project from a dood in Lantlos not named Neige. This is off the release MMIX. Enjoy.

----
rekt