Metal Storm logo
Best Symphonic Band

Original post

Posted by Bas, 10.09.2006 - 18:46
These are some of my favourite symphonic metal bands, Haggard, Therion and Within Temptation being pure symphonic metal and the others symphonic +some other style,

please dont only vote but also explain your opinions

i myself went for Magica, the beautiful keyboard lines, the virtuous guitar riffing, the wonderful solos and guitar/keyboard duels, the awesome vocals, great band

Poll

Which is the best symphonic metal band?

Therion
Rhapsody (of fire)
Haggard
Demons And Wizards
Within Temptation
Tristania
Sirenia
Adagio
Magica

Total votes: 174
18.11.2006 - 03:26
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Therion, obviously. I simply love "Deggial" album... and the choruses are awesome.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
08.02.2007 - 01:54
nefrit

hmm hard choice for me between rhapsody and d&w.. in the name of those fantastic musicians jon and hansi, the vote goes to d&w
----
in a dreaming utopia.. dead on dope
09.02.2007 - 19:21
APOHAKC
The Bard
I voted for Haggard cause it is in my circle of few bands I can listen in any ocasion, I love Haggard, all of their albums are real masterpieces (except maybe Progressive album), and I can't even compare Haggard with Sirenia or Tristania, only band I like from this list beside Haggard is mighty Demons & Wizards, they kick ass.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
10.02.2007 - 14:11
Angelstorm
Account deleted
Tristania for me. Looks like I'm the only one who voted for them. All guest performers will be doing vocals I think for now. Einar Moen is so talented with Synths IMO. Other bands are good also but I have liked this band since 97 when they formed.
22.02.2007 - 17:00
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
As if the bands mentioned above are the only symphonic bands.... there is no other option!
----
that which shines without names and forms...
22.02.2007 - 23:54
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Paganblood on 22.02.2007 at 17:00

As if the bands mentioned above are the only symphonic bands.... there is no other option!

Agree.. lack of Other in such a poll is blasphemy
23.02.2007 - 11:48
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Guest on 22.02.2007 at 23:54

Written by Paganblood on 22.02.2007 at 17:00

Agree.. lack of Other in such a poll is blasphemy

yes, blasphemy to other bands.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
23.02.2007 - 14:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ~Starchild~ on 23.02.2007 at 13:58

i think the choice of the bands is quite weird, because it's not possible to compare for example tristania to rhapsody of fire^^ by the way i only got the demons and wizards album and i really wonder what makes them symphonic...
and as i cannot vote for nightwish i chose haggard, because they're such a big band and they use a lot of different instruments. Their songs are really complex and have a lot of classical parts, i really like that!

I agree its not posible tell because there are to many shymphinic styles, its easyer tale from one shympho style witch bands are better but not thsi time, and about Demons n Wizrads 100% agree
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.02.2007 - 14:19
Bas
Retired Staff

because it's not possible to compare for example tristania to rhapsody of fire

i can explain that one

the thing is that "symphonic" isn't actually a style but just an adjective, you usually don't have only "symphonic metal" (Therion and Haggard being the only exceptions) but you have "symphonic power metal" and "symphonic gothic metal" and "symphonic black metal" etc.
it's the same as "technical" for example. you have "technical death metal" and "technical power metal" etc. but not just "technical metal". or also "oldschool" there is "oldschool heavy metal" and "oldschool thrash metal" and "oldschool death metal" but not "oldschool metal".
these words are only adjectives and not genres

i hope you understand what i mean
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
24.02.2007 - 00:18
Black Serpent
Account deleted
Think I'll vote Sirenia, cause I like their songs and lyrics^^ Especially the album "At Sixes And Sevens" ^^
24.02.2007 - 03:16
Oracle
Orcinus
Therion because i find their work more dynamic and complex and i also like them alot
24.02.2007 - 23:57
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by ~Starchild~ on 24.02.2007 at 19:28

Written by Bas on 23.02.2007 at 14:19

because it's not possible to compare for example tristania to rhapsody of fire

i can explain that one

the thing is that "symphonic" isn't actually a style but just an adjective, you usually don't have only "symphonic metal" (Therion and Haggard being the only exceptions) but you have "symphonic power metal" and "symphonic gothic metal" and "symphonic black metal" etc.
it's the same as "technical" for example. you have "technical death metal" and "technical power metal" etc. but not just "technical metal". or also "oldschool" there is "oldschool heavy metal" and "oldschool thrash metal" and "oldschool death metal" but not "oldschool metal".
these words are only adjectives and not genres

i hope you understand what i mean

yes i absolutely understand and that's exactly the reason why i think you cannot compare those bands! because they play a totaly different style of metal the only thing they have in common is that they are "symphonic".
but normally you compare gothic bands to gothic bands an power metal bands to power metal bands...
go and compare sirenia to tristania or the sins of thy beloved, after forever to epica, or nightwish to edenbridge! but comparing tristania to rhapsody of fire sounds absolutely ridiculous to me!

i can compare them if i want to. there are threads about the best band from the 90ies or the best band from italy or the best band that turned into sellouts and whatever other crap you can come up with. i really fail to see why i'm not allowed to compare symphonic bands, because frankly i think being symphonic is quite a meaningful attribute. i usually like bands that are symphonic, it doesnt matter if their main genre is folk, power, gothic, jazz, country, asdf, whatever. as long as it's symphonic chances are high that i like them, that alone is enough reason for me to be able to compare them

if you have any problems with it give me a reason
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
25.02.2007 - 00:22
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Hollenthon... their both albums are close to perfection especially "With Vilest Of Worms To Dwell"... they are a MUST for fans of Therion, they're symphonic bombast is really well done, and the folk/ethnic elements included are awesome... stunning music.
27.02.2007 - 14:55
GT
Coffee!!
Hard to choose between Sirenia, Haggard and Rhapsody...but I went for Rhapsody
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
07.07.2007 - 15:41
Imraghil

i prefer DaW, just cause they are the best. Hansi has an great voice.
08.07.2007 - 23:06
Abattoir

I choose Sirenia, because I prefer them most and their music sound really good, especially first album...music is so various to me, which is great...
12.07.2007 - 04:01
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
Therion, they demonstrated to be the first band in being imposed in the Symphonic Metal, with albums like Theli, Vovin, Deggial and Sirius B.
12.07.2007 - 14:27
Damned-In-Black

I'm voting Tristania because, in short, they're my favourite band in the poll.

Honestly though I almost feel I should be voting for Therion, because they're one of only 2-3 bands that actually demand the tag 'symphonic metal', on that list. The others are hybrids and while some features are comparable, they are primarily rooted in other genres. I won't bother arguing with the poll options though.

If I was to pick one band as a whole - Tristania
Or the band with the best symphonics/operatics - Therion
...or for the epic choirs - Sirenia

15.07.2007 - 23:43
Dark Tormentor
Account deleted
well... i think i'll vote for Rhapsody Of Fire
cos its one ass kicker band but my paradox began when i saw Therion and Haggard
'cos those are some very good bands!
15.07.2007 - 23:44
Dark Tormentor
Account deleted
eventhough Adagio and Demons And wizards are ass kickers too
15.07.2007 - 23:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 25.02.2007 at 00:22

Hollenthon... their both albums are close to perfection especially "With Vilest Of Worms To Dwell"... they are a MUST for fans of Therion, they're symphonic bombast is really well done, and the folk/ethnic elements included are awesome... stunning music.

Hehhe when I saw album cover I thought its some kind death metal or Mayhem style music but I was suprised hear hear it
----

apos;'
[image]
16.07.2007 - 09:34
HELLilac

Geez...Hard one..

Tristania and Therion were the first 2 bands that got me into this sub genre. I chose Therion for their consistency and for Lamuria/Sirius B.

But Rhepsody of Fire come very close second...Very very close.

Then either Haggard or Tristania.
----
AS SOON AS YOU'RE BORN, YOU'RE DYING..
17.07.2007 - 17:44
Infurnace

For me, it's between Haggard, Therion and Rhapsody Of Fire. I guess my vote will go to Haggard, because I like them the most, cause of their classical approach.
06.12.2007 - 22:38
Stalker
Lone wanderer
1. Haggard - OK, this is album that has produced so far 3 albums that are simply all masterpieces, they have an immense lineup of very skilled musicians fronted by the musical genius Asis Nasseri, and one of the things that separates them from the rest of the bands of this kind is that there is no cheap synth sound, and all sounds recorded on real instruments... Do you need more?

2. Therion - I know them few years before Ive known Haggard, so Ive had enough time to listen and like this band, their music is IMO one of the most original, and it kinda gets under your skin, and it gets me almost hypnotised... great band anyway.

3. Rhapsody (fuck the damn fire) - this is one of my favorite power metal bands, and definitely favorite symphonic power metal band. It will never be clear for me, why Rhapsody is for some people synonym of "cheesy" band, ok, lyrics may be ridiculous sometimes, but with the amazing voice of Fabio, and the great composing of Luca Turilli, it makes some great music.
----
07.12.2007 - 00:05
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
no band from this list is better than Rhapsody
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

07.12.2007 - 01:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 07.12.2007 at 00:05

no band from this list is better than Rhapsody

BTW when I first time saw band video in Očko I belive band was from Cz or Svk... but I doscovere it here in S its fropm Italy

What a suprise
----

apos;'
[image]
07.12.2007 - 01:32
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
well for some period of time i thought Within Temptation are from USA...i even wrote it in one discussion - and got the reaction i deserve for such a nonsense
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

07.12.2007 - 01:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 07.12.2007 at 01:32

well for some period of time i thought Within Temptation are from USA...i even wrote it in one discussion - and got the reaction i deserve for such a nonsense

I thought CoF and MDB are from Norway in early age

But about Rhapsody of fire ppl who know lil bit Moravia and Bohemia and had seen in ČSSR fary tell movies or Brother grimm will understand why I thought so
----

apos;'
[image]
09.01.2008 - 18:26
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
it has to be Rhapsody it is the most epic band ever by the way i think adagio is more Progressive Power than symphonic
----
Stay Metal !!!
11.01.2008 - 20:10
Hamird
Lieutenant
Here i've voted for Haggard but generally i enjoy Morgul.. this band has a better music... using classic in metal. which no other band can do it ... (if you see Haggard is using classical instruments in it's music it doesnt mean that their are using classic music in metal. but morgul is mixing metal and classic. did you understand???? ) i think i couldn't explain well