10. Violent Revolution
11. People Of The Lie
12. Europe After The Pain

The best Thrash Metal album of 2012

Additional info
Dates of release:
Europe - June 1st,
North America - June 5th.

Produced, recorded and mixed by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios, Sweden.
Mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, NYC, USA.
Additional recording by Johan Örnborg.
Drum technician - Tobias Strandvik.
Guitar technician - Marc Niedersberg.
Pre-production recordings and programming by Tim Schuldt, Sky von Hoff, Marc Görtz and Dominic Paraskevopoulos.
Zombie-choirs by Ronnie Milianowicz, Uffe Bejstam and Tommy Johansson, Sami Yli-Sirniö, Matthias Kollerk, Jens Bogren.

Cover artwork by Wes Benscotter.
Additional cover art by Jan Meininghaus.

Guest review by
TerrorZone
Rating:
Prior to the release, frontman Mille Petrozza claimed that Phantom Antichrist would be the "most epic" Kreator album ever. He went further saying that Phantom Antichrist is better than anything released by the Big Four in recent years. These words seemed to be empty rhetoric at first, but after being taken on the "epic" journey through Phantom Antichrist, the impression is that Petrozza and Co. have succeeded in fulfilling their promises.

Read more ››
published 02.12.2012 | Comments (10)

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Kreator! Aaaaaaahhhhh! That is all I need to state to introduce this review. 13th studio album from the reigning kings of Teutonic Thrash Metal and rightfully regarded as one of the most respected Metal bands of all time. Anybody wants to disagree with that? I thought not. It is refreshing to see a musical style best known for its impact on the 1990s still being alive and well in 2012.

Read more ››
published 16.06.2013 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
Danroush
Rating:
A masterclass in mixing the aggression of thrash with the production quality of the 21st century.

Read more ››
published 18.03.2019 | Comments (1)

Found in 71 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 123   Visited by: 1681 users
25.02.2011 - 21:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I hope it's better than "Hordes Of Chaos", which was half good, and half average, and only one amazing song. :\
25.02.2011 - 23:01
Rating: 7
elseif

Can't wait
26.02.2011 - 06:59
Salbitani

Written by Angelic Storm on 25.02.2011 at 21:49

I hope it's better than "Hordes Of Chaos", which was half good, and half average, and only one amazing song. :\

¨enemy of god and¨ ¨violent revolution¨ were great albums, i agree with you ´´horde of chaos´´ was a almost good album.
26.02.2011 - 08:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Salbitani on 26.02.2011 at 06:59
¨enemy of god and¨ ¨violent revolution¨ were great albums, i agree with you ´´horde of chaos´´ was a almost good album.

Totally agreed. "Hordes Of Chaos" is definitely overall, weaker than the 2 preceding albums. There are some decent songs, and "Demon Prince" is awesome, but there's a fair bit of average stuff on it as well. Most of it on the latter half of the album. :\
26.02.2011 - 08:46
Rating: 10
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Angelic Storm on 26.02.2011 at 08:25

Totally agreed. "Hordes Of Chaos" is definitely overall, weaker than the 2 preceding albums. There are some decent songs, and "Demon Prince" is awesome, but there's a fair bit of average stuff on it as well. Most of it on the latter half of the album. :\

well i think that "To The Afterborn" was an awesome song for example. so with "Amok Run"....
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
26.02.2011 - 09:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Deadmeat on 26.02.2011 at 08:46
well i think that "To The Afterborn" was an awesome song for example. so with "Amok Run"....

"Amok Run" is definitely my 2nd fave on the album. Which is like a mix of the 90's Kreator and the thrash Kreator. The melodic intro is awesome, and I like how it mixes up melody with the thrash attack. xD

The problem with HOC, is it has about the same amount of filler as EOG and VR, (more than EOG I think!) but it's a shorter album with less songs on it.
26.02.2011 - 14:43
RavenKing

I appreciate "Hordes Of Chaos" more than you but it's the least good of their post-2000 albums.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
26.02.2011 - 21:36
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Angelic Storm on 26.02.2011 at 09:10

Written by Deadmeat on 26.02.2011 at 08:46

"Amok Run" is definitely my 2nd fave on the album. Which is like a mix of the 90's Kreator and the thrash Kreator. The melodic intro is awesome, and I like how it mixes up melody with the thrash attack. xD

The problem with HOC, is it has about the same amount of filler as EOG and VR, (more than EOG I think!) but it's a shorter album with less songs on it.

i like this album a lot but i can see what you mean. it has some songs that are just decent as escalation imo...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
27.08.2011 - 00:14
Rating: 8
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I hope this time they should outdo "Coma of Souls"/ "Enemy of God" completely.
27.08.2011 - 14:31
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 27.08.2011 at 00:14

it would be extremely hard. i am hoping for 1 more great album, a bit better from the last one but i am not sure if this will be a masterpiece like coma of souls for example...
----
27.08.2011 - 19:26
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Deadmeat on 27.08.2011 at 14:31

it would be extremely hard. i am hoping for 1 more great album, a bit better from the last one but i am not sure if this will be a masterpiece like coma of souls for example...

Yeah!! But I just want this awesome army to outdo innit. Idk why but I've huge expectations from them.
02.02.2012 - 21:10
loukritia_vorgia
Account deleted
The cover seems very old-school and I like that very much.So, we are waiting for the album.I hope to another great album from Kreator.
02.02.2012 - 21:43
@gent_-_orange

I hope this time they should outdo "Coma of Souls"

You must have really high hopes for the new album indeed, Unless some sore of miracle happens their is no way that they will ever make a record that will top Coma of Souls nowadays.
02.02.2012 - 21:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by @gent_-_orange on 02.02.2012 at 21:43
You must have really high hopes for the new album indeed, Unless some sore of miracle happens their is no way that they will ever make a record that will top Coma of Souls nowadays.

Totally agreed. The chances of this album, or any of their future albums topping "Coma Of Souls" (and therefore becoming their best album) is very low. However, I am quite hopeful that the new album will be better than "Hordes Of Chaos", which whilst decent, was also a little bit disappointing overall.
02.02.2012 - 21:52
@gent_-_orange

Written by Angelic Storm on 02.02.2012 at 21:48

Written by @gent_-_orange on 02.02.2012 at 21:43

Totally agreed. The chances of this album, or any of their future albums topping "Coma Of Souls" (and therefore becoming their best album) is very low. However, I am quite hopeful that the new album will be better than "Hordes Of Chaos", which whilst decent, was also a little bit disappointing overall.

For sure. Kreator are in "that stage" of their career, Their classics are long past now and all we can hope for is good and consistent album's which we got with the previous three records. I guess we can hope but realisticly? no way.
02.02.2012 - 22:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by @gent_-_orange on 02.02.2012 at 21:52
For sure. Kreator are in "that stage" of their career, Their classics are long past now and all we can hope for is good and consistent album's which we got with the previous three records. I guess we can hope but realisticly? no way.

You are absolutely right.

I would love for Kreator to top Coma... or even equal it's greatness, but I am realistic, and realise the chances of that actually happening is very low indeed. Both "Violent Revolution" and "Enemy Of God" were very good albums, if not quite reaching the heights of the best of their 80's material. But showed that Kreator are still a very relevant band in today's thrash scene. "Hordes Of Chaos" was a step down from the previous 2 albums I felt, at least overall. A more realistic hope, is that the new album will be a more consistently good album like "Enemy Of God", rather than it being a "Coma Of Souls" beater...
03.02.2012 - 10:38
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by I Eat God on 02.02.2012 at 19:44

Written by Angelic Storm on 26.02.2011 at 08:25

Disagreed. 1. Coma of Soul 2. Enemy of God 3. Horde of Chaos Violent Revolution (OUT!)

Disagreed. where the fuck is "Extreme Aggression"????
----
04.02.2012 - 01:50
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by I Eat God on 03.02.2012 at 10:51

Those days Extreme aggression and pleasure to kill were good, nowadays, they sound very Outdated to me. Maturity was not there. if you compare them to later thrash metal bands' work. Both are out! Don't be so 'nostalgia', look forward bro.

you cant like coma of souls and find "extreme aggression" outdated. betrayer, extreme aggression and some pain will last are LEGENDARY kreator songs. also it has awesome production and many other nice songs. this album is like the brother of coma of souls. you cant say it is outdated. go and listen to it again mate.
----
10.02.2012 - 18:34
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
OMG what a motherfucking AWESOME cover this is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
----
20.03.2012 - 18:39
raymond2349

What a stupid album title!
20.03.2012 - 18:47
( invisible )

Written by raymond2349 on 20.03.2012 at 18:39

Agreed.
These few years Kreator sounds stupid ... , also try listening their lyrics in Hordes of Chaos. Good album was spoiled like that...
20.03.2012 - 20:27
BudDa

..."Destroy what destroys you"..right?
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
20.03.2012 - 20:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by BudDa on 20.03.2012 at 20:27
..."Destroy what destroys you"..right?

Nope! "Demon Prince" is the one song from HOC that I'd happily place alongside Kreator's other classic songs.
09.05.2012 - 21:54
Darth Revan

Written by raymond2349 on 20.03.2012 at 18:39

Lately I get the feeling that half the bands in the world name their albums with only sounding "cool" in mind...

That said, the title track has been uploaded to youtube with its video. I rather liked it, nothing all that innovative there, just Kreator being Kreator, but doing it quite well I must say. I think this'll be a better one than Hordes of Chaos.
17.05.2012 - 07:44
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Kreator Posts Second "Phantom Antichrist" Album Trailer.

Check out from 1.02 to 1.04

23.05.2012 - 23:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I've listened to the album twice today, and two things stand out immediately to me about it. First of all, it's definitely a more consistent album than "Hordes Of Chaos". Secondly, it's clearly their most adventurous effort since they came back to thrash with "Violent Revolution". There's several moments where they go into more experimental territory such as on "From Flood Into Fire" and "Until Our Paths Cross Again". However, "Death To The World" combines the crushing sound of classic mid-paced Kreator with a raging thrash attack. Elsewhere, "Civilisation Collapse" is probably the most violent and vitriolic track Kreator have conjured up since their comeback to thrash. Awesome stuff!

Some of the more experimental moments don't really work, and come off as sounding weak, so it's not as cohesive or solid an album as it could be. In saying this though, it is overall, a far more engaging listen then their previous album, and there are several stand-out tracks which are genuinely amazing.

It's not as great as I was hoping for, but there's still some fine stuff on this album to savour.
24.05.2012 - 00:59
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 23.05.2012 at 23:48

I've listened to the album twice today, and two things stand out immediately to me about it. First of all, it's definitely a more consistent album than "Hordes Of Chaos". Secondly, it's clearly their most adventurous effort since they came back to thrash with "Violent Revolution". There's several moments where they go into more experimental territory such as on "From Flood Into Fire" and "Until Our Paths Cross Again". However, "Death To The World" combines the crushing sound of classic mid-paced Kreator with a raging thrash attack. Elsewhere, "Civilisation Collapse" is probably the most violent and vitriolic track Kreator have conjured up since their comeback to thrash. Awesome stuff!

Some of the more experimental moments don't really work, and come off as sounding weak, so it's not as cohesive or solid an album as it could be. In saying this though, it is overall, a far more engaging listen then their previous album, and there are several stand-out tracks which are genuinely amazing.

It's not as great as I was hoping for, but there's still some fine stuff on this album to savour.

This comment about 'experimental parts' makes me a bit worried, as I usually hate fucked up experimentation that doesn't work.
Other thing that makes me worried is this part about "coming off as sounding weak".

I'll see once I get my copy.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
24.05.2012 - 04:39
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 24.05.2012 at 00:59
This comment about 'experimental parts' makes me a bit worried, as I usually hate fucked up experimentation that doesn't work.
Other thing that makes me worried is this part about "coming off as sounding weak".

I'll see once I get my copy.

Well... all 3 of the previous albums featured dashings of Gothenburg styled melody. There's some songs on the album where this aspect is pushed to the forefront of the sound, as well as incorporating longer melodic solo passages. Which definitely gives the album more of a "lighter" feel than the 3 other albums Kreator made since coming back to thrash, at least in an overall sense. Thankfully though, in general it's definitely not as experimental as much of their 90's material.

I was very excited to hear the new album after hearing the title track, which is a great song. And whilst unfortunately, that song isn't quite indicitive of the whole album, there is some great thrash on it. When they turn the screw on "Civilisation Collapse", the effect is truly devestating, and I don't think I've heard Mille sound so aggressive and venemous since "Coma Of Souls", which is certainly a high point of the album. The way he screams "DIE!" during the ominous ending of "Death To The World" is definitely a spine tingling moment, and his scream over the opening thrash assault in "United In Hate" almost makes me think it's back to the 80's! lol

It is a bit patchy, and I'd certainly like it to be more consistent. But there is some great stuff on the album, and all I really wanted was a better album than "Hordes Of Chaos" and I got that, so I can't complain too much I guess...

Oh, and I (and you also) was right about "Mars Mantra" being more of an atmospheric intro, than the proper first track!
24.05.2012 - 15:19
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Angelic Storm on 23.05.2012 at 23:48

i tend to agree with you on all the thing you said, even if i have listened to the album only the 1% of the times i want to haha!

i think that it is something great that the band progresses it's music on this album. it's the most different from the last 4 albums and imo this is great. now i just hope to be stoked by most of the songs!
----
25.05.2012 - 23:06
Rating: 9
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
I came with low expectations because I was overfed with Kreator for the last few months and to be honest this is some good shit.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death

Hits total: 44430 | This month: 62