Metal Storm logo
In Flames - Announce "New" Guitarist

In Flames have announced that Engel/ex-Gardenian guitarist Niklas Engelin will be their permanent guitarist.

Niklas Engelin is an old friend of the band, as he has been part of the In Flames line-up several times now. In 1997 he briefly joined the band as a replacement of Glenn Ljungström (Dimension Zero, ex-HammerFall). More recently, Engelin regularly filled in on tour for original In Flames guitarist Jesper Strömblad, who eventually left the band in February last year in order to get treatment for his alcohol addiction.

In Flames just finished wrapping up the recording process for Sounds of a Playground Fading, the band's tenth full-length studio album, which is scheduled for a May/June release through Nuclear Blast.

Source: metalriot.com
Band profile: In Flames
Posted: 07.03.2011 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 16   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 250 users
07.03.2011 - 21:26
MechanisT
Account deleted
I don't know about the new guy, but he definitely has BIG boots to fill...considering their latest endeavours, though, I'm FAR from optimistic because I still cherish In Flames as one of the most guitar-licious bands around...
07.03.2011 - 21:31
FeskarN

Not really a suprise that it would be him. My expectations on the upcoming album are really low..
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
07.03.2011 - 21:46
Bigpaul

Meh, they haven't released anything decent in a decade & I doubt that will change anytime soon.
07.03.2011 - 23:29
arj

Please make a good new album
07.03.2011 - 23:45
WickedBuddhi

No surprise, I agree. But I like Niklas Engelin, very underrated musician.
07.03.2011 - 23:53
Њ
Account deleted
Soundtrack To Your Escape, Sounds Of A Playground Fading... 'Sounds' like crap.
07.03.2011 - 23:56
morsus

This guy is their only hope to return to the era of glory
08.03.2011 - 00:59
bluegreengod
Account deleted
Niklas was with them on their last U.S. tour and he was pretty badass so hopefully this will work. I would assume he wasn't much a part of the songwriting process for this new album, which is too bad. It will be interesting to see how he can contribute in the future. IN FLAMES!
08.03.2011 - 02:28
marzepka87

What In Flames need to announce is that they are going back era of "The Jester Race" and "Whoracle"
08.03.2011 - 08:42
ruffio

'Sounds of a Playground Bludgeoning'... You will receive what you get. And this album will be like nothing. You'll feel like shit after 10 listens, but at least you'll feel something. Other side effects include cutting yourself to sleep and screaming to hide that you're lonely.
08.03.2011 - 10:52
Aeonfrost

He was part of in flames' golden era, so i'm quite optimistic that he will bring something good to the band.
08.03.2011 - 20:37
ForgerOfFate

The album has already been written so too bad he wasnt able to bring some of his riffage to the recording process. But im sure he'll bring some good vibes to the stage. Lets just hope they bring back to anything that can sound like before the days of reroute to remain (and they've remained nu radio metal ever since)
08.03.2011 - 20:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
They will never go back to their old style people. I accepted that years ago, you should all move on.
08.03.2011 - 20:54
Mikyz

Written by Guest on 08.03.2011 at 20:48

They will never go back to their old style people. I accepted that years ago, you should all move on.

Agreed, but I still think that they can surprise us with their new sound, they have the potential.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
08.03.2011 - 21:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Mikyz on 08.03.2011 at 20:54

Written by Guest on 08.03.2011 at 20:48

Agreed, but I still think that they can surprise us with their new sound, they have the potential.

Perhaps, and I hope so, but I can't see them adopting anything less money-making style wise. i dunno, I think Anders should just stop doing vocals for the band, he's an incredibly weak screamer (unless he wants to go back to his coarser death style) and they just need a stronger sound that's either more melodic and harmonic or something a bit edgier.
09.03.2011 - 12:43
fazzeh

Nothing changed about the abomination of an album they've got ready for ear-raping us though...

Hits total: 4955 | This month: 6