Metal Storm logo
Recommend music that sounds like Ulver's Shadows Of The Sun

07.03.2011 - 22:43
MechanisT
Account deleted
Hello! I'm really into Ulver's "Shadow of the Sun" album. I think it's utter brilliance, both for personal reasons and an affinity for this kind of music. So far I haven't come across a single album like this one. Can anyone recommend me albums that are worth checking out? Help will be greatly appreciated.
08.03.2011 - 00:43
INÆRIS

Shadows of the Sun is one of my favorite albums of all time. It's super unique though. I haven't found anything quite like it either. I do have a suggestion though. If you haven't before, check out the band Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Especially their albums F# A# infinity, and Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada. It's super emotional, powerful music. They're a lot different that Shadows of the Sun, but I think you'd really like them.
----
Still Life, Still Death
08.03.2011 - 01:36
IronAngel

I've got to agree that the way Ulver combines classical ambient, drone, experimental rock and jazzy horns and awesome vocals on that album is pretty unique. I can't think of any similar albums, though the elements can be found seperately in dozens of bands. What really makes it stand out are Garm's vocals.

You could check out the Icelandic experimental group múm. Especially their album Summer Make Good has the kind of warm, rich sound that appeals to me in Shadows Of The Sun. Better on their own merits are the albums Finally We Are No One and Yesterday Was Dramatic, Today Is OK.

Also, try to get a hold of Akira Yamaoka's soundtrack for Silent Hill 2. It's pretty much a perfect album, and while its sound is more minimal and restrained than Ulver's somehow the two have reminded me of eachother. It's closer to the Svidd Neger soundtrack, though.

For easy-to-digest, warm and welcoming ambient you might want to give Eluvium a go. Copia is a good place to start, though the older albums may prove more interesting in time. On a similar note, Hammock play something between post-rock and ambient with the kind of soundscapes you might appreciate. Loscil play awesome, gloomy ambient spiced with twisted beats. One of my favorites.

For perhaps more Perdition City like tunes, be sure to check out The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation and their album Succubus. Pretty much the same guys also have a project called The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble who've just release a cool album called From The Stairwell. If you dig dark, ambient jazz, I heartily also recommend Bohren & Der Club Of Gore, especially their album Black Earth.

Most of this stuff is instrumental. That's because Shadows Of The Sun is pretty much an album of ambient, drone and experimental music, and the vocals (along with accessible, rock music song structures) are what make it so unique. Unfortunately, that's the best I can do right now. :/
08.03.2011 - 08:24
Tenski

Hey man, yea very good album indeed... some good stuff you might like is Anathema-Judgement, and also their album A Natural Disaster. Not as ambient as far as Ulver's newer stuff is, but also Ulver's album Blood Inside has some good atmospheric passages, especially in the earlier songs in the album. Hope that you like these suggestions.
08.03.2011 - 12:47
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by INÆRIS on 08.03.2011 at 00:43

Shadows of the Sun is one of my favorite albums of all time. It's super unique though. I haven't found anything quite like it either. I do have a suggestion though. If you haven't before, check out the band Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Especially their albums F# A# infinity, and Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada. It's super emotional, powerful music. They're a lot different that Shadows of the Sun, but I think you'd really like them.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be sure to check them out.

Written by IronAngel on 08.03.2011 at 01:36

I've got to agree that the way Ulver combines classical ambient, drone, experimental rock and jazzy horns and awesome vocals on that album is pretty unique. I can't think of any similar albums, though the elements can be found seperately in dozens of bands. What really makes it stand out are Garm's vocals.

You could check out the Icelandic experimental group múm. Especially their album Summer Make Good has the kind of warm, rich sound that appeals to me in Shadows Of The Sun. Better on their own merits are the albums Finally We Are No One and Yesterday Was Dramatic, Today Is OK.

Also, try to get a hold of Akira Yamaoka's soundtrack for Silent Hill 2. It's pretty much a perfect album, and while its sound is more minimal and restrained than Ulver's somehow the two have reminded me of eachother. It's closer to the Svidd Neger soundtrack, though.

For easy-to-digest, warm and welcoming ambient you might want to give Eluvium a go. Copia is a good place to start, though the older albums may prove more interesting in time. On a similar note, Hammock play something between post-rock and ambient with the kind of soundscapes you might appreciate. Loscil play awesome, gloomy ambient spiced with twisted beats. One of my favorites.

For perhaps more Perdition City like tunes, be sure to check out The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation and their album Succubus. Pretty much the same guys also have a project called The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble who've just release a cool album called From The Stairwell. If you dig dark, ambient jazz, I heartily also recommend Bohren & Der Club Of Gore, especially their album Black Earth.

Most of this stuff is instrumental. That's because Shadows Of The Sun is pretty much an album of ambient, drone and experimental music, and the vocals (along with accessible, rock music song structures) are what make it so unique. Unfortunately, that's the best I can do right now. :/

Your best is actually pretty adequate! Thanks! I'll check them out as soon as possible.

Written by Tenski on 08.03.2011 at 08:24

Hey man, yea very good album indeed... some good stuff you might like is Anathema-Judgement, and also their album A Natural Disaster. Not as ambient as far as Ulver's newer stuff is, but also Ulver's album Blood Inside has some good atmospheric passages, especially in the earlier songs in the album. Hope that you like these suggestions.

I've heard all the albums that you've mentioned, and I've got to say that A Natural Disaster was the closest musically-sounding album to Shadows of the Sun by quite a distance, and even then it's quite different! Thanks for the effort, though!
09.03.2011 - 00:56
DahliaRock

The strings at the end of Shadows of the Sun is the saddest part.. when you hear it, you know that it's all coming to an end and there will be nothing like it.. Possibly the two disappointments that I have about the album is the cover song, and that the album is a bit short and you feel like you just didn't have enough.. well, eating chocolate is like that too!

On that note, yeah there is nothing like Shadows of the Sun.. unfortunately! Although there are no lyrics, you might enjoy Tin Hat Trio - Book of Silk and Eyvind Kang - Virginal Co-ordinates.. both very sensual, emotional and deep albums, and the latter has Mike Patton singing on some of the songs, so combine Kang's delicious violin talent with the eerie yet spectacular voice of Patton, and you have a perfect recipe!
09.03.2011 - 12:41
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by DahliaRock on 09.03.2011 at 00:56

The strings at the end of Shadows of the Sun is the saddest part.. when you hear it, you know that it's all coming to an end and there will be nothing like it.. Possibly the two disappointments that I have about the album is the cover song, and that the album is a bit short and you feel like you just didn't have enough.. well, eating chocolate is like that too!

On that note, yeah there is nothing like Shadows of the Sun.. unfortunately! Although there are no lyrics, you might enjoy Tin Hat Trio - Book of Silk and Eyvind Kang - Virginal Co-ordinates.. both very sensual, emotional and deep albums, and the latter has Mike Patton singing on some of the songs, so combine Kang's delicious violin talent with the eerie yet spectacular voice of Patton, and you have a perfect recipe!

Thanks for the suggestions, yo.
10.03.2011 - 08:40
DahliaRock

No problemo! Hope you enjoy them
14.03.2011 - 06:19
Techno Allah

Hmm if you're looking for some ambient music, then I would suggest Dauði Baldrs by Burzum. It is a pretty good album from what I've heard, plus it's a big change from Varg's previous albums with Burzum. The Campfire Headphase by Boards of Canada also reminds me of Shadows of the Sun. Deep Forest also seems pretty ambient with mixes of world music. Hope that I helped somewhat, bud :3
----
Here I come Constantinople. Here I come Constantinople. I am coming Constantinople. Here I come
15.03.2011 - 12:34
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Techno Allah on 14.03.2011 at 06:19

Hmm if you're looking for some ambient music, then I would suggest Dauði Baldrs by Burzum. It is a pretty good album from what I've heard, plus it's a big change from Varg's previous albums with Burzum. The Campfire Headphase by Boards of Canada also reminds me of Shadows of the Sun. Deep Forest also seems pretty ambient with mixes of world music. Hope that I helped somewhat, bud :3

I'll be sure to check them out. Thanks amigo!
15.03.2011 - 15:18
Techno Allah

Kein problem
----
Here I come Constantinople. Here I come Constantinople. I am coming Constantinople. Here I come
04.04.2011 - 08:20
Io
Account deleted
Omnio by In the Woods...
04.04.2011 - 10:48
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 04.04.2011 at 08:20

Omnio by In the Woods...

Thanks!
04.04.2011 - 20:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Jiri was whining that the new one coming out in a few weeks was "Shadows Of The Sun II"... so you have that to look forward to.

my copy is pre-ordered and i cannot wait.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.04.2011 - 13:45
The Turbanator

Written by BitterCOld on 04.04.2011 at 20:51

Jiri was whining that the new one coming out in a few weeks was "Shadows Of The Sun II"... so you have that to look forward to.

Any link to that? If it's true then I can't wait for it.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
05.04.2011 - 18:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by The Turbanator on 05.04.2011 at 13:45

Any link to that? If it's true then I can't wait for it.

try the band page, discography, then the album thread.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.04.2011 - 20:04
MechanisT
Account deleted

I don't think it's "Shadow Of The Sun II" to be honest. I've heard "February MMX", and though similar, it's not a complete copycat of the aforementioned record. Even if it is, it's a pretty obvious recommendation. Regardless, I definitely cannot wait for some new Ulver to light up what has already been a fantastic year thus far.
05.04.2011 - 20:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 05.04.2011 at 20:04

I don't think it's "Shadow Of The Sun II" to be honest. I've heard "February MMX", and though similar, it's not a complete copycat of the aforementioned record. Even if it is, it's a pretty obvious recommendation. Regardless, I definitely cannot wait for some new Ulver to light up what has already been a fantastic year thus far.

it's not that it's CALLED that, it is merely that it sounds like a continuation/sequel of the last...
----

05.04.2011 - 21:02
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 05.04.2011 at 20:32

Written by Guest on 05.04.2011 at 20:04

it's not that it's CALLED that, it is merely that it sounds like a continuation/sequel of the last...

As long as it's not too derivative of Shadows, I should be fine...
24.06.2011 - 03:01
Sussa

I've been reading the reviews and messages posted on this website for a while, but today I decided to register just to say 'thank you' to you. I'm also a great fan of "Shadows of the Sun" and the bands you recommended are fantastic. Thank you again guys!
31.07.2011 - 16:46
Jiri

Hahaha, I was just browsing this forum and by golly, my name has been mentioned! That surely doesn't happen everyday. Pretty awesome experience though
02.10.2011 - 15:06
Faustos

Shadows of the Sun is a great album! You could also check out:
Devin Townsend Project - Ghost
American McGee's Alice original music score
Air - 10.000 Hz Legend
Jason Becker - Perspective
02.10.2011 - 16:05
KwonVerge
Odysseus
It's not that it sounds like Shadows Of The Sun, but it's got Garm on the vocals and i'm mentioning it just in case one isn't aware of their existence and wants a bit more of Garm Try out Head Control System, they released an album during 2006, Murder Nature.
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.