Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2011

Original post

Posted by IronAngel, 08.03.2011 - 23:09
I couldn't find a topic like this, so I'm not sure if there's a lot of interest in it. But since one of the biggest reasons for my coming here is to discover new music, I think we ought to have a topic dedicated to recommending the latest and greatest music to have just been released. We have staff picks and great reviews already, but a lot of stuff goes under the radar. So share your exciting new discoveries or the comebacks of old favorites with the rest of us here.

I guess it's nice to start this from the beginning of the year, but you can of course recommend some 2010 albums you think were overlooked, too.

My recommendations that haven't already been covered by MS reviews are, so far:

Crowbar - Sever The Wicked Hand: Kirk got sober and found Jesus. Good for him, I guess. It doesn't show in the music, which is as thick, sludgy and melancholy as ever before. Another solid addition to an incredibly consistent discography, if not quite their strongest effort.

DoomSword - The Eternal Battle: I've been pretty unfamiliar with DoomSword for a long time even if I've known about them and heard a song here and there. That's still the case. From what I can tell, though, The Eternal Battle is not quite as doomy and epic as their first albums but rather leans towards traditional heavy metal with the faster riffs and stuff. Pretty impressive nonetheless, there's something authentic and endearing about the band. (Couldn't find a sample, sorry.)

Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon: The sludge/stoner act Weedeater buzzes and crushes away with a deep, heavy sound that really appeals to me. When they're loud, they're tight. There's some strange filler and interludes on this album that don't really fit in, though.

Orchid - Capricorn: Orchid have released a lauded EP already, but Capricorn is their first full-length. They play groovy old school Sabbath worship. It's not new, but why should it be when it's this good?
26.11.2011 - 19:43
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.11.2011 at 22:00

Now THAT sounds interesting. Will check this asap.

Written by Slayer666 on 23.11.2011 at 23:19

I just jizzed a little. Amazing track, hunting down the rest of the album.

It is one of the most interesting releases this year.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.11.2011 at 22:10

damn, that's some pretty awesomely cool stuff. How did you find it?

via my band-mate
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
26.11.2011 - 21:38
JD
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 22.11.2011 at 12:13

Think Sun of the Blind and Arcana Coelestia

I can't check it, because youtube isn't working :/

Do you have their myspace link?
26.11.2011 - 22:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

Got around to this for the first time the other night and had to go back to it again last night. Really good stuff, I like the ambient aspect. I would even say there's a hint of Lurker of Chalice.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.11.2011 - 00:30
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.11.2011 at 22:07

Got around to this for the first time the other night and had to go back to it again last night. Really good stuff, I like the ambient aspect. I would even say there's a hint of Lurker of Chalice.

Yes there is certainly a LoC feel in it, it is melancholic and soothing and has that same trance-inducing effect that LoC has
----
is not bold enough
28.11.2011 - 06:37
JÄY
Metal slave
Y'all should check out this band...Iron Maiden.

Picture me trollin' in mah 500 benz!
28.11.2011 - 06:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by JÄY on 28.11.2011 at 06:37

Lulu > Iron Maiden's entire discography
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.11.2011 - 06:41
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.11.2011 at 06:38

Written by JÄY on 28.11.2011 at 06:37

Lulu > Iron Maiden's entire discography

except the X Factor..AMMIRITE?
28.11.2011 - 17:35
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 26.11.2011 at 21:38

I can't check it, because youtube isn't working :/

Do you have their myspace link?

http://www.myspace.com/alrakisalphacanis

they are really great, but I don't know if you'd like it
----
is not bold enough
28.11.2011 - 23:19
InnerSelf
proofread free
Another nice BM find
----
is not bold enough
29.11.2011 - 01:40
Vombatus
Potorro
More BM (kinda-drudkhish), small local band with album coming out next year.

29.11.2011 - 02:32
IronAngel

Gnaw Their Tongues at it again. Really disturbing noise/dark ambient/industrial stuff.

29.11.2011 - 02:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by IronAngel on 29.11.2011 at 02:32

Gnaw Their Tongues at it again. Really disturbing noise/dark ambient/industrial stuff.

That picture somehow really reminds me of the Dragged INto Sunlight album cover art
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.11.2011 - 03:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Vombatus on 29.11.2011 at 01:40
More BM (kinda-drudkhish)

Will have to check that out.
----
29.11.2011 - 04:13
NLthrasher

Found only one new cool band in the whole topic and that is Dekapitator.
I think mainly because I'm not a big fan of black/doom/sludge/death metal and thats like 95% of what's posted
29.11.2011 - 05:10
Edmund Fogg

Written by NLthrasher on 29.11.2011 at 04:13

I think mainly because I'm not a big fan of black/doom/sludge/death metal and thats like 95% of what's posted

Well post your own discoveries in other subgenres. Ms is not the only source of info of Metal. Search your favorites type of music on sites like Band camp, Grooveshark, Last fm, SoundCloud or others Metal Webzines or the best way :local venues. It's always nice to discover new stuff from other users because we all have different searching methods. If you like Thrash I can reccomand you these awesome guys (from last year but sill)

----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
29.11.2011 - 05:29
NLthrasher

Written by Edmund Fogg on 29.11.2011 at 05:10

Written by NLthrasher on 29.11.2011 at 04:13

Well post your own discoveries in other subgenres. Ms is not the only source of info of Metal. Search your favorites type of music on sites like Band camp, Grooveshark, Last fm, SoundCloud or others Metal Webzines or the best way :local venues. It's always nice to discover new stuff from other users because we all have different searching methods. If you like Thrash I can reccomand you these awesome guys (from last year but sill)

Thanks, the band sounds cool, I'm a big fan of Andy's guitarplaying
Maybe I will post some bands later, I´m not really in need of new bands though atm, I still have a lot of stuff to listen to but thanks anyways man!
29.11.2011 - 20:37
JD
Account deleted
29.11.2011 - 23:33
ToMegaTherion

If you like Iced Earth, and were disappointed with their last couple of albums, you definately wont be if you give their new album a go. Dystopia is an Iced Earth classic, and I sure it will in time be recognised as such. Stu Block is the best vocalist IE have had to date including Matt Barlow, his style of this album is somewhere between the vocal skill of Ripper and the Emotive power of Matt Barlow.
30.11.2011 - 02:40
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Finally found it! Sludgy Post metal band, Hull.
----
Coldgrits
30.11.2011 - 04:19
NLthrasher

Written by ToMegaTherion on 29.11.2011 at 23:33

If you like Iced Earth, and were disappointed with their last couple of albums, you definately wont be if you give their new album a go. Dystopia is an Iced Earth classic, and I sure it will in time be recognised as such. Stu Block is the best vocalist IE have had to date including Matt Barlow, his style of this album is somewhere between the vocal skill of Ripper and the Emotive power of Matt Barlow.

I was not really disappointed with their last 2 albums, though I think Dystopia is way better. Dystopia is a real killer album. I don't know which was/is Iced Earth's best singer, it depends what you mean with 'best'. In my opinion Ripper is the most talented and most skillfull singer they have had, though I think that Barlow fits Iced Earth way better than Ripper. I think Stu is a nice compromise between those two, he fits in better than Ripper, not as good as Barlow though and he is I think more skillfull than Barlow.
The first 2 singers are a whole class appart in my opinion, but surely not in the negative way.
01.12.2011 - 12:58
ToMegaTherion

Written by NLthrasher on 30.11.2011 at 04:19

Written by ToMegaTherion on 29.11.2011 at 23:33

I was not really disappointed with their last 2 albums, though I think Dystopia is way better. Dystopia is a real killer album. I don't know which was/is Iced Earth's best singer, it depends what you mean with 'best'. In my opinion Ripper is the most talented and most skillfull singer they have had, though I think that Barlow fits Iced Earth way better than Ripper. I think Stu is a nice compromise between those two, he fits in better than Ripper, not as good as Barlow though and he is I think more skillfull than Barlow.
The first 2 singers are a whole class appart in my opinion, but surely not in the negative way.

It is definitely a classy album this one. I only mean that the last few albums haven't been as good as others. The Glorious Burden was certainly well below others, Framing Armageddon was good but not up there with The Dark Saga or Horror Show. The Crucible of Man however was not quite as good as other albums including Matt Barlow, but it certainly had good songs on it. But Dystopia is right up there with their best work.
02.12.2011 - 00:36
Zombie94

Really good new thrash metal band from Sweden!

02.12.2011 - 13:53
Edmund Fogg

Written by -DC-002- on 30.11.2011 at 02:40

Finally found it! Sludgy Post metal band, Hull.

Pretty good stuff right there.

Written by Zombie94 on 02.12.2011 at 00:36

Really good new thrash metal band from Sweden!

meh. The vocals and uninspired songwritting will kill this band.
----
03.12.2011 - 05:30
ß
Problem?
Adverserial's newest EP is quite good. Nothing like solid Blackened Death Metal.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
03.12.2011 - 06:28
Edmund Fogg

Adrien Von Ziegher has a new album available on his bandcamp

http://adrianvonziegler.bandcamp.com/album/mirror-of-the-night
----
03.12.2011 - 06:38
Misfit74

Written by ß on 03.12.2011 at 05:30

Adverserial's newest EP is quite good. Nothing like solid Blackened Death Metal.

Quite possibly the worst production I've ever heard. Sounds like a mono tape-recorder turned as loud as it can go from inside of a large metal garbage can.
03.12.2011 - 06:53
Edmund Fogg

Tunguska Mammoth. A local stoner,sludge,progressive outfit. Worth diving into

Nephilium has a new track streaming online for their upcoming album.

http://ashermedia.bandcamp.com/track/nephelium-merciless-annihilation
----
03.12.2011 - 08:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Misfit74 on 03.12.2011 at 06:38
Quite possibly the worst production I've ever heard.

Striborg.
----
03.12.2011 - 13:24
Vombatus
Potorro
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like a mono tape-recorder turned as loud as it can go from inside of a large metal garbage can.

Good description

But it ain't necessarily bad, like old Beherit... just epic
03.12.2011 - 14:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Edmund Fogg on 03.12.2011 at 06:53

Tunguska Mammoth. A local stoner,sludge,progressive outfit. Worth diving into

Great song that. Will check out their EP fo shizzle.