Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2011

Original post

Posted by IronAngel, 08.03.2011 - 23:09
I couldn't find a topic like this, so I'm not sure if there's a lot of interest in it. But since one of the biggest reasons for my coming here is to discover new music, I think we ought to have a topic dedicated to recommending the latest and greatest music to have just been released. We have staff picks and great reviews already, but a lot of stuff goes under the radar. So share your exciting new discoveries or the comebacks of old favorites with the rest of us here.

I guess it's nice to start this from the beginning of the year, but you can of course recommend some 2010 albums you think were overlooked, too.

My recommendations that haven't already been covered by MS reviews are, so far:

Crowbar - Sever The Wicked Hand: Kirk got sober and found Jesus. Good for him, I guess. It doesn't show in the music, which is as thick, sludgy and melancholy as ever before. Another solid addition to an incredibly consistent discography, if not quite their strongest effort.

DoomSword - The Eternal Battle: I've been pretty unfamiliar with DoomSword for a long time even if I've known about them and heard a song here and there. That's still the case. From what I can tell, though, The Eternal Battle is not quite as doomy and epic as their first albums but rather leans towards traditional heavy metal with the faster riffs and stuff. Pretty impressive nonetheless, there's something authentic and endearing about the band. (Couldn't find a sample, sorry.)

Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon: The sludge/stoner act Weedeater buzzes and crushes away with a deep, heavy sound that really appeals to me. When they're loud, they're tight. There's some strange filler and interludes on this album that don't really fit in, though.

Orchid - Capricorn: Orchid have released a lauded EP already, but Capricorn is their first full-length. They play groovy old school Sabbath worship. It's not new, but why should it be when it's this good?
11.12.2011 - 23:43
psykometal
A staff guy...
Demisery and Fallujah have 2 of the best death metal releases this year and imo they are the 2 best death metal releases of the last quarter of 2011...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

12.12.2011 - 00:54
Edmund Fogg

Staying in the Death Metal scene. Fallen Fortress released some pretty crispy stuff. The album sells at 6.66$ just to remain broootal haha!

----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
12.12.2011 - 00:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by IronAngel on 11.12.2011 at 23:33

Lord Vicar is the last 2011 album I am still adamantly intending to hear. The rest is optional. I have no doubt it will rock.

play it again earlier today and it does rock, although I tend to slightly prefer their debut album
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.12.2011 - 04:38
Edmund Fogg

Those who got their panties wet with the Sabbath reunion news and also everybody who claimed it "wouldn't be like it was". Infidel is here for you with King of Cynical Control. Old school psychedelic Doom that deserves way more visibility.

http://infidelgr.bandcamp.com/album/king-of-cynical-control
----
12.12.2011 - 04:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Edmund Fogg on 12.12.2011 at 04:38

Those who got their panties wet with the Sabbath reunion news and also everybody who claimed it "wouldn't be like it was". Infidel is here for you with King of Cynical Control. Old school psychedelic Doom that deserves way more visibility.

http://infidelgr.bandcamp.com/album/king-of-cynical-control

Naah Orchid does tht Black Sabbath period way better.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.12.2011 - 06:41
The Turbanator

Don't know if someone posted it already, but this album is really good. Thanks Marcel for introducing this to me!

EDIT : totally forgot this album was released in 2010. Anyway, will just leave it here.

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
12.12.2011 - 06:44
Edmund Fogg

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.12.2011 at 04:46

Naah Orchid does tht Black Sabbath period way better.

Don't know Orchid...wil check them out.

Edit: Oups. Original Post. Lazyness strikes again. Dammit!
----
16.12.2011 - 04:03
Edmund Fogg

Figured it was time to stop mindless disciscions and keep this alive.

Heart of Darkness by TOBC for all those atmospheric black metal sluts out there.

Really good album.
----
16.12.2011 - 04:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Mindless discussion? 90% of the posts on this page are suggestions and peoples' opinions on those suggestions.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.12.2011 - 04:39
Edmund Fogg

Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.12.2011 at 04:19

Mindless discussion? 90% of the posts on this page are suggestions and peoples' opinions on those suggestions.

Wasn't talking about this page but the General Forum sections. It was a joke due to all the new topics that seems to pops up everyday.
----
16.12.2011 - 04:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Edmund Fogg on 16.12.2011 at 04:39
Wasn't talking about this page but the General Forum sections.

Ah, fair enough.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.12.2011 - 13:03
Risto
Wandering Midget
When it comes to debuts, Constantine's Divine Design gets next to no competition this year for me.

16.12.2011 - 13:19
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Risto on 16.12.2011 at 13:03

When it comes to debuts, Constantine's Divine Design gets next to no competition this year for me.

Really good stuff.
26.12.2011 - 06:08
Edmund Fogg

Beastwars by the band Beastwars. try to get that out of your skull once it's sunk in.

Oh an vote for them too.
----
26.12.2011 - 06:39
ß
Problem?

This certainly caught me by surprise, a major shift from their debut F:\all.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
28.12.2011 - 05:33
Edmund Fogg

Written by ß on 26.12.2011 at 06:39

This certainly caught me by surprise, a major shift from their debut F:\all.

Wow! nice one will definetly boe on the lookout for Reido now. Thanx.

Don't know if this has already been posted , but it's some good stuff. Enjoy

----
28.12.2011 - 05:39
The Turbanator

^ not as good as his previous work, in my opinion. I only heard this album once and decide not to play it again. A total 180 turn around from his previous works, and it's so sudden. Kinda puts me off.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
28.12.2011 - 06:14
Edmund Fogg

Written by The Turbanator on 28.12.2011 at 05:39

^ not as good as his previous work, in my opinion. I only heard this album once and decide not to play it again. A total 180 turn around from his previous works, and it's so sudden. Kinda puts me off.

Never heard of his previous work before. I really dig this sound.
----
28.12.2011 - 06:43
ß
Problem?
Quote:
Quote:

Never heard of his previous work before. I really dig this sound.

Do yourself a favour and check out his older material.
----
28.12.2011 - 07:01
Edmund Fogg

Written by ß on 28.12.2011 at 06:43

Do yourself a favour and check out his older material.

Listening to Mourner right now. Hard to believe both albums are from the same guy. A lot of emotions and emp^hasis on atmosphere is showcased there. I still enjoy the crazyness and melting pot that is Hands that pluck thought.
----
28.12.2011 - 12:15
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Serious Beak - Huxwhukw

Release Date: 26 November 2011

28.12.2011 - 12:58
Absak

Noisear - Subvert The Dominant Paradigm

Some amazing technical grindcore. Among my favorite grind releases this year, why this band's profile isn't on MS yet I don't even.

28.12.2011 - 18:07
Edmund Fogg

Written by Introspekrieg on 28.12.2011 at 12:15

Serious Beak - Huxwhukw

Good stuff. Some transitions are a bit weird, but this is definetly worth looking into. Damn! So many albums, so little time. And that's just in Metal.
----
28.12.2011 - 18:26
The Turbanator

Written by IronAngel on 28.07.2011 at 10:02

Been digging the new *shels album a lot. Plains of The Purple Buffalo. They play something like atmospheric sludge/post-rock/alt-rock.

I would like to thank you. One listen and I'm already in love.
----
28.12.2011 - 22:03
Misfit74

Written by Edmund Fogg on 26.12.2011 at 06:08

Beastwars by the band Beastwars. try to get that out of your skull once it's sunk in.

Oh an vote for them too.

Not usually my deal, but that Beastwars song was pretty cool. Going to check out more from them. I like the vibe it gives and it's a huge diversion from the Brutal Death I usually listen to. Reminds me of when I used to really like Punk and/or Alternative in an indirect way. They're really into the feel of what they do, which is cool.
28.12.2011 - 23:15
Edmund Fogg

Written by Misfit74 on 28.12.2011 at 22:03

Not usually my deal, but that Beastwars song was pretty cool. Going to check out more from them. I like the vibe it gives and it's a huge diversion from the Brutal Death I usually listen to. Reminds me of when I used to really like Punk and/or Alternative in an indirect way. They're really into the feel of what they do, which is cool.

Yeah they sure look the part. Too bad the audience sucks and don't get into his trance. And yeah Brutal Death is good, but why limit yourself to just that?
----
28.12.2011 - 23:52
IronAngel

Written by The Turbanator on 28.12.2011 at 18:26

I would like to thank you. One listen and I'm already in love.

Wow, nice to hear. I should get back to *shels this week to review my years' end list, in fact. I haven't listened to the album for a while, so much stuff out there to hear.
29.12.2011 - 20:16
The Turbanator

Archgoat's new EP "Heavenly Vulva (Christ's Last Rites)" is pretty good in my opinion.

----
31.12.2011 - 07:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Absak on 28.12.2011 at 12:58
...why this band's profile isn't on MS yet I don't even.

http://metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=6711
----
01.01.2012 - 04:07
ß
Problem?
Circle of Ouroborus's latest cd Eleven Fingers is quite solid imo, albeit less metal than their previous outputs.
----