04. This Is The Life
05. Bridges In The Sky
06. Outcry
07. Far From Heaven
08. Breaking All Illusions
09. Beneath The Surface

Additional info
Notes:

* The limited Deluxe Collector's Edition of A Dramatic Turn of Events includes a second disc with instrumentals of all the tracks.
* "Bridges in the Sky" was originally titled "The Shaman's Trance".
* A Dramatic Turn of Events is the first Dream Theater album to feature lyrics by bassist John Myung since "Fatal Tragedy" from Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory.
* Paul Northfield is credited for the spoken words in "Breaking All Illusions".

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
It seems that something like that must have happened eventually. Mike Portnoy is gone, and A Dramatic Turn of Events is the first occasion for the metal community to find out how Dream Theater fares without their co-founder and co-leader. Let me tell you straight away that it sucks. It sucks much more than I feared it would having heard the first song off the album, whose name I won't even bother to mention. Why would I want to waste time typing names of crappy songs?

Read more ››
published 21.09.2011 | Comments (186)

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
There is no denying Dream Theater has been an enormous influence on progressive music for the last two decades. Every new release of theirs usually generates a buzz among fans and media alike. But since founding member, natural leader and revered drummer Mike Portnoy left the band unceremoniously last year, the free press the band is getting has been off the charts. After an overly publicized series of auditions whence drumming instructor Mike Mangini came triumphant, expectations were at an expected all-time high. A lot of doubts and uncertainties were lingering in the air. So what? You ask. Well, it all depends who's giving you the answer. Reviews have been split across the internet spectrum. But since you're stuck with me, here are my thoughts.

Read more ››
published 02.11.2011 | Comments (28)

Guest review by
Roman Doez
Rating:
Dream Theater is my favorite band. They've been for a while now. However, a lot of people classify their music as mindless wankery and dislike them because of that, and while it's true that their 2000's releases to some extent fall in that category, for a long time I never really could understand what made that so unappealing to some. However, after hearing this album, I instantly knew what they meant. Following the pretty good Black Clouds And Silver Linings, which was a huge step up from the very mixed Systematic Chaos and Octavarium, it seemed like everything was going great again for Dream Theater. However, the departure of founding member Mike Portnoy left them in quite a weird spot; he had been one of the lead writers for two decades and was one of the pillars behind their success. The band now had to prove themselves capable of writing great stuff without him, using their new drummer Mike Mangini. And I'm gonna be honest, they did anything but succeed.

Read more ››
published 29.12.2020 | Comments (52)

Found in 71 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 6

Comments: 164   Visited by: 1823 users
05.09.2011 - 21:12
John Shock

I already have it...anyone give me a review before i listen to it please! ...a nice review!
05.09.2011 - 22:25
Rating: 7
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.09.2011 at 19:57

Not good at all. black clouds was vastly superior on all fronts.

Sadly true for the most part.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
06.09.2011 - 03:33
Rating: 9
drdml

I'm not a fan of this band,but i like this album.
06.09.2011 - 05:57
Lachy
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 05.09.2011 at 20:17

Written by Guest on 13.03.2011 at 14:24

I want this so bad i have have already pre rated it 10

clearly you are yet another user whose votes are dubious at best... and boom goes the dynamite.

dude i dont care if my votes count towards shit, im not one of them fags who cant stand it when megadeth or metallica get knocked off the top. I just have never been disappointed by dream theater, it doesnt mean that it will definately get a 10, in fact the time that you took to look into my profile and criticize me for it makes me not even what to take part in any discussions on this site. Everyone is entitled to an opinion no matter how bias (which is basically what an opinion is). Now i think you have just made me rage quit metal storm, oh well if you think it will make the world such a better place than so be it
06.09.2011 - 09:18
Rating: 6
R'Vannith
ghedengi
See where playing with high explosives gets you? You've gone and killed Lachy

Haven't heard this one yet, but if it's anything like the last one it should be an enjoyable listen.
06.09.2011 - 10:27
Rating: 5
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Guest on 06.09.2011 at 05:57

clearly you are yet another user whose votes are dubious at best... and boom goes the dynamite.

dude i dont care if my votes count towards shit, im not one of them fags who cant stand it when megadeth or metallica get knocked off the top. I just have never been disappointed by dream theater, it doesnt mean that it will definately get a 10, in fact the time that you took to look into my profile and criticize me for it makes me not even what to take part in any discussions on this site. Everyone is entitled to an opinion no matter how bias (which is basically what an opinion is). Now i think you have just made me rage quit metal storm, oh well if you think it will make the world such a better place than so be it

FUCK this site and FUCK whoever gave BitterCOld that goddamn stick of dynamite.
06.09.2011 - 15:31
iMorphball

Listening to this right now, and am very disappointed by the vocal performance. It's cringe-worthy.
06.09.2011 - 17:53
The Voyager
The Table
Written by iMorphball on 06.09.2011 at 15:31

Listening to this right now, and am very disappointed by the vocal performance. It's cringe-worthy.

What? This is probably James' best vocal performance in years, in my opinion. I swear, some folks are never happy...
06.09.2011 - 17:57
iMorphball

Written by The Voyager on 06.09.2011 at 17:53

Written by iMorphball on 06.09.2011 at 15:31

What? This is probably James' best vocal performance in years, in my opinion. I swear, some folks are never happy...

I'm not really much of a Dream Theater fan, I gave this a listen because I was curious. I didn't come bearing any great expectations or anything, and was disappointed.
06.09.2011 - 18:36
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I don't think it is his best vocal performance in years at all. It is just competent, it seems. If anything, it declined when you compare it to the previous album BCASL.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
06.09.2011 - 19:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 06.09.2011 at 10:27

Written by Guest on 06.09.2011 at 05:57

FUCK this site and FUCK whoever gave BitterCOld that goddamn stick of dynamite.

lols at Captain Overreaction. Doles out straight 10's to no less than 5 artists full discographies, gets them etch-a-sketched, and flies off the handle. life is hard.

it's funny how bitches complain about people scoring albums/artists with 1's as abuse... but whenever i point out voting to the obvious other extreme they flip out.

the more and more i deal with overrating freaks, the more i think we should just do away with the ability to rate anything and just set everything automatically to 10. that way everyone's drooling over their favorite band is validated, everything ever recorded is top (however many albums we list on this site at the time) ever. although it would make the MSA's a big pain in the ass to have to write a full 100-120 words on each and every release pumped out each year.

now back to DT.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.09.2011 - 01:18
seafood

Sounded like generic prog after first listen... but it took me like a year or so to like their previous album, so I'm not throwing my hopes away yet.
07.09.2011 - 05:49
Xtopher

Nothing special really, but i appreciate the lack of rap in the album. Good Start.
----
07.09.2011 - 07:40
Rating: 10
Hollberr

Jordan Rudess is back with more sounds than ever and Mike Mangini makes a solid appearance. Even James Labrie sounds good (well, a lot better than the previous albums). They have 4 killers songs above 10 minutes, in all of which we don't get to hear Portnoy's uninspired voice... what could we ask more?

I give it a 10! It's WAYYYY better than what I expected. I thought it would be hard for them to beat Symphony X's Iconoclast, but they just blasted it!! (unlike Systematic Chaos vs Paradise Lost).

Highlights : Lost Not Forgotten, Breaking All Illusions
07.09.2011 - 10:52
Daniell
_爱情_
After 4 listens, I remember one good long track, and three shitty short tracks. Not too good for DT standards so far...
07.09.2011 - 14:50
Milena
gloom cookie
They've never made an album this meh. And this is coming from a big fan of theirs and also someone who likes the latest albums. I know what I'm voting for when the biggest disappointment question gets asked at MS awards...

Written by Daniell on 07.09.2011 at 10:52

After 4 listens, I remember one good long track, and three shitty short tracks. Not too good for DT standards so far...

That one good track must be Breaking All Illusions. Awesome song.
----
7.0 means the album is good
07.09.2011 - 16:56
Deefer46

I found it just about ok, there are some great moments on the album even though it seems to tread water at times. The solo's get a bit pretentious at times and seem overblown and bloated. Not a grabber, though I'm sure there are some moments of genius in there, somewhere. It'll take a few listens to unearth them.

After a few more listens the only thing that strikes me is how average this album is compared to past DT albums. Good in some parts, which are sadly few. I think it will be a while before I revisit this album.
07.09.2011 - 19:12
Rulatore

Breaking All Illusions is the only one I can remember from this album, too meh this album.
07.09.2011 - 22:32
Castiel666

My favourite album after Images and Words and Metropolis Pt. 2! Love at first "sight".
----
[center][/center]
08.09.2011 - 02:30
Rating: 8
godisdead

Good albums just not as good as most people would expect from dream theater.
08.09.2011 - 03:26
thehondo

First time through, very good. Second time, better. Some of you are too busy comparing it to the past. Just listen.
----
No time like the present
08.09.2011 - 06:28
gopherhawk2@gmail.co

Listen to it as just a new album not necessarily a new DT album.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
08.09.2011 - 07:16
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
It totally blew me away! I haven't been impressed by Dream Theater like this for a long time! Great introduction to their new drummer! I hope they use him better in the next album.
08.09.2011 - 16:15
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Guest on 08.09.2011 at 07:16
It totally blew me away! I haven't been impressed by Dream Theater like this for a long time! Great introduction to their new drummer! I hope they use him better in the next album.
How's his style? Much like Portnoy in the past? Any really self-indulgent passages?
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
08.09.2011 - 18:40
thehondo

Written by Syk on 08.09.2011 at 16:15

Written by Guest on 08.09.2011 at 07:16
How's his style? Much like Portnoy in the past? Any really self-indulgent passages?

No self-indulgent passes because Petrucci had all the tracks done before. They just replicated them for the album.
----
No time like the present
09.09.2011 - 00:14
BehzadSh

Somehow it reminds me "Awake" album, maybe I'm wrong
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
09.09.2011 - 05:52
Rating: 8
Mr.Wilson

Excelent album:) much better than the last 2 and for sure the best since metropolis pt.2:)
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
09.09.2011 - 11:02
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by thehondo on 08.09.2011 at 03:26

First time through, very good. Second time, better. Some of you are too busy comparing it to the past. Just listen.

I'm not comparing it to anything and I still don't like it. I'm not used to not liking Dream Theater, so this is quite painful for me.
----
7.0 means the album is good
09.09.2011 - 15:14
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by thehondo on 08.09.2011 at 03:26

Currently I'm in the middle of my 7th listen. I'm not comparing this album to anything. I'm just listening, because at the end of the day this is all that matters: the music itself, stripped of all references and contexts. And, I'm saddened to say, this is some seriously uninspired, forced excuse for music. I really like 2 tracks only: "Lost Not Forgotten" and "Breaking All Illusions". The rest blends togeter to form an unconvincing mass. Oh, "Build Me Up, Break Me Down", "This Is the Life" and "Far From Heaven" are absolutely terrible, pathetic attempts at radio exposure.
09.09.2011 - 15:46
Yavanna

I have listened to it several times, and really, is not such a great thing... Is not a letdown because I expected nothing from this album
I mean, is not bad, but is not good either. The long songs sounded quite boring to me, it's different from the "old" DT
Anyway, didn't liked it
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand

Hits total: 39535 | This month: 57