Metal Storm logo
Manowar - Cause Mass Blackout In Cleveland

In case you were wondering, Manowar are still the loudest band on the planet... 'Cuz when they're in town, the power explodes.

During the sound-check last Friday afternoon (March 11th) for their first of two shows at the Agora in Cleveland, Ohio, the self-proclaimed kings of metal blew one of the city's power grids, causing a massive blackout on the entire city block where the venue is located.

Workers at the local electricity company took 24 hours to get the grid back online. Temporary generators had to be rushed in to run Manowar's sound and lights, and a lot of extra gear was brought in for the show. Fortunately, the generators worked and the show was not cancelled.

Source: smh.com.au
Band profile: Manowar
Posted: 15.03.2011 by flamesoficarus

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 42   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 340 users
15.03.2011 - 22:41
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Haha, they probably had a friend pull the switch at the right time and blame it on them being the loudest band in the world.

this happened on a smaller scale at the 2009 concert of theirs which i attended. the power failed during "Brothers of Metal". 15 minutes later they came back, tried to play the song again but the power blew up again. 15 minutes later and after a characteristic speech by Joey saying that because we're the best fans in the world and them the loudest band in the world blah blah, they resumed the show. it's all quite "Spinal Tap" if you ask me(and Manowar is the closest bands get to being ST in real life).
16.03.2011 - 00:36
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Other bands play, Manowar gay!

Joking i like Manowar, i'll be attending their gig soon in LIsbon. Hope they bring the place down!
16.03.2011 - 00:37
RavenKing

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.03.2011 at 13:40

Another marketing trick by them. Because they know they won't get any attention based on their music. So they spread these sort of rumours.

Exactly.

Who will believe this bullshit, you ask? What about their braindead fanboys?
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
16.03.2011 - 00:48
The Exorcist 10

You shouldn't judge them so harsh...
I believe they had something to offer in metal, they are good at what they do,
whether some like it or not.
It's not my favourite band, but i do respect their work,
it may seem ridiculus sometimes, but nobody's perfect, right..?
Cheers from Greece
----
There is no stronger drug than reality...
16.03.2011 - 01:32
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser

Oo ffs, do people actually believe this bs?

Another marketing trick by them. Because they know they won't get any attention based on their music. So they spread these sort of rumours.
They might blackout a village in India but not an entire city block in Cleveland.

When I first read the title to this news story, I thought for a quick second it was referring to a person blacking-out. A couple thousand people simultaneously falling asleep during their show...

Perhaps they should consider investing in more electrically efficient gear.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.03.2011 - 07:25
BloodFireDeath

Yeah Manwoar is a great band. Don't like em you can just go back to your Shadows Fall Bullet For my Valentine, and shitty new metallica.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
16.03.2011 - 11:56
morsus

Just the most ridiculous band in history..... They try to convince themselves and their fans that hey are badass. Pathetic
16.03.2011 - 18:40
Destructo

This was more funnier than the entire "Funny Stuff" section combined !!! ROFL.....:P:P:P;D;D
16.03.2011 - 21:22
worm_is_gloaming

Written by corrupt on 15.03.2011 at 13:55

They might blackout a village in India but not an entire city block in Cleveland.

The American power grid isn't exactly famous for it's dependability. I'd say, if they cause a blackout somewhere, it would be in the US.

+1
No surprise to see such snafu happening in the states. The way the infrastructure is run/maintained, we should consider ourselves extremely lucky for every day that passes without terrorists or radicals disrupting it. As this story shows, it doesn't take much at all.
22.03.2011 - 07:06
WorpeX
Made of Metal
As much as making fun of this is fun, this actually did happen. I have a friend who went to the show. >.< He said he was rather disappointed in it to be honest, they weren't nearly as loud as he would have expected (although it was on back-up generators).
22.03.2011 - 08:41
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by WorpeX on 22.03.2011 at 07:06

As much as making fun of this is fun, this actually did happen. I have a friend who went to the show. >.< He said he was rather disappointed in it to be honest, they weren't nearly as loud as he would have expected (although it was on back-up generators).

So they were quiter than your friend thought they would be, but they still caused a blackout... Did your friend want to go deaf or something?
24.03.2011 - 03:54
Yasmine

By the looks of the comments it's likely manowar was trying more for pissing off people than impressing anyone. Mission Accoplished, send in GWBush.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u

Hits total: 8230 | This month: 7