Metal Storm logo
Band Profiles: Report Mistakes

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 15.03.2011 - 18:14
This is your place to report mistakes with our featured bands, in the same way as the last thread:

http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=3137
06.03.2014 - 18:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
That second track sounds more gothic doom a bit like Paradise Lost's gothic doom era. Especially the guitar at times reminds me of that PL era. But not death doom at all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.03.2014 - 19:33
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
The problem is each track is different. You simply have to listen to whole album, which is tedious...

This track sounds like Isole for instance:

...and this sounds like a doomy Opeth (skip to 3:59 or 4:46)

Obviously the focus is doom, so do what you guys need to do.
10.03.2014 - 01:51
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I don't that there's much death metal to Gojira's sound, at least not since their debut.
11.03.2014 - 16:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 10.03.2014 at 01:51
I don't that there's much death metal to Gojira's sound, at least not since their debut.

I'm not 100% certain how to classify their sound to be honest, but I do agree with you in regards to the death metal elements.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.03.2014 - 16:18
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
To anyone: read the faq before you submit the edits.
11.03.2014 - 16:44
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 11.03.2014 at 16:18

Ugh, I want to know this.

Is LeKiwi been appointed by MS to take over the Band Profiles page? Or LeKiwi has made his account only to hang around with his "genre" issues in his backpack over here only?

I'm in conundrum.

The latter. My life revolves this page.
11.03.2014 - 16:46
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.03.2014 at 16:08

I'm not 100% certain how to classify their sound to be honest

Me neither...
13.03.2014 - 16:29
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Intervals has a vocalist now, style/genre needs to be updated since it still says instrumental progressive metal.
13.03.2014 - 16:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by BaneConall on 13.03.2014 at 16:29
Intervals has a vocalist now, style/genre needs to be updated since it still says instrumental progressive metal.

Fixed.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.03.2014 - 19:00
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.03.2014 at 16:41

Written by BaneConall on 13.03.2014 at 16:29

Fixed.

Should it maybe be left as instrumental progressive metal for 2011-2013 since their first two releases were still instrumental and only their release from this year had vocals?
14.03.2014 - 02:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by BaneConall on 13.03.2014 at 19:00
Should it maybe be left as instrumental progressive metal for 2011-2013 since their first two releases were still instrumental and only their release from this year had vocals?

Unless something has changed in terms of genre tags (and psykometal can speak to that since he's now in charge of the database), we don't use the instrumental tag (just as we don't use the instrumental tag in tracklists unless noting an instrumental version of a non-instrumental song).
----
14.03.2014 - 11:44
mz
Hi Troy.
Primitive man released a noise tape this year and so I think some modifications are needed for their genre.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
14.03.2014 - 13:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.03.2014 at 02:20

Written by BaneConall on 13.03.2014 at 19:00

Unless something has changed in terms of genre tags (and psykometal can speak to that since he's now in charge of the database), we don't use the instrumental tag (just as we don't use the instrumental tag in tracklists unless noting an instrumental version of a non-instrumental song).

some half yera ago we have such discussion here and if I remeber he said we have such tag in a genres ?
and spyko is somewhere in mid Iowa LOL
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.03.2014 - 19:41
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast

Whatever works, I've seen the instrumental progressive tag all over the site so I didn't know it wasn't being used anymore.
14.03.2014 - 20:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BaneConall on 14.03.2014 at 19:41

Whatever works, I've seen the instrumental progressive tag all over the site so I didn't know it wasn't being used anymore.

many bands ha sold tags and nobody seems to remeber, but this tag as genre, psyko seems one half year ago told we still use it
----

apos;'
[image]
14.03.2014 - 23:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by mz on 14.03.2014 at 11:44
Primitive man released a noise tape this year and so I think some modifications are needed for their genre.

And fixed.
----
14.03.2014 - 23:27
mz
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.03.2014 at 23:22

And fixed.

Thanks.
----
15.03.2014 - 14:13
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Ephemeral Sun plays instrumental progressive rock - check it out on Bandcamp.
16.03.2014 - 05:17
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite

Hmm. I knew about the non-usage of instrumental tagging in tracklisting, but I'm afraid I don't recall ever being told of or reading any mention before of such a rule regarding style tagging, honestly. And in that case I'm afraid I've violated the shit out of that rule on numerous profiles. But to be quite frank, I don't see the need for such a rule to exist. What's wrong with (imo) appropriately indicating that a band is instrumental? It only serves to help users find more bands that only play Instrumental Prog when they click the tag on a profile.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

16.03.2014 - 15:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 16.03.2014 at 05:17

Hmm. I knew about the non-usage of instrumental tagging in tracklisting, but I'm afraid I don't recall ever being told of or reading any mention before of such a rule regarding style tagging, honestly. And in that case I'm afraid I've violated the shit out of that rule on numerous profiles. But to be quite frank, I don't see the need for such a rule to exist. What's wrong with (imo) appropriately indicating that a band is instrumental? It only serves to help users find more bands that only play Instrumental Prog when they click the tag on a profile.

when I was edditing bands in old days it as tyrice or raiden who reject some eddit
where was not used
# song [instrumental]... butit was 2007 something

I never have seen someone use this tag nowadays, but i swear I have seen t on date base, but seems it was from days wehn ms ws young , like last 4 years as I remeber non seems use it
----

apos;'
[image]
17.03.2014 - 14:02
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Exivious was recently changed to instrumental prog, so it appears to still be in use.

Alarum requires the fusion tag imo.
17.03.2014 - 23:01
mz
There are some bands with "math metal" tag. Is there any difference between math metal and djent??
----
18.03.2014 - 02:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by mz on 17.03.2014 at 23:01

There are some bands with "math metal" tag. Is there any difference between math metal and djent??

I domt think there is , maybe same as diference between red apple and green apple
----

apos;'
[image]
18.03.2014 - 04:34
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog

Djent is a lot simpler and math metal doesn't refer to any particular tone.
18.03.2014 - 16:33
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by LeKiwi on 18.03.2014 at 04:34

Djent is a lot simpler and math metal doesn't refer to any particular tone.

Djent isn't necessarily simpler, it's usually quite complex and very detail oriented. Djent-labeled bands have a tendency to put a lot more emphasis on building an atmosphere in their songs/music as well.

Compare the likes of The Dillinger Escape Plan, Between the Buried and Me, and Psyopus (3 of the most prominent math bands) to the likes of Tesseract, Periphery and Vildhjarta (3 of the most prominent djent bands).

Add-on: Really, a more appropriate genre tag for djent bands would be something like atmospheric prog (for the softer ones like Tesseract and Skyharbor) and atmospheric prog/extreme prog (for the heavier ones like Vildhjarta and Periphery). If we were to genre-tize with more conventional genre tags.
----

18.03.2014 - 16:34
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite

See my above response to Kiwi. Also, this kind of question is more appropriate for The Quick Questions Thread since it's a clarification inquiry and not pointing out any mistakes on band profiles.
----

19.03.2014 - 10:50
mz
Written by psykometal on 18.03.2014 at 16:34

See my above response to Kiwi. Also, this kind of question is more appropriate for The Quick Questions Thread since it's a clarification inquiry and not pointing out any mistakes on band profiles.

Thank you. To be honest, I asked this question here because I initially wanted to say that math metal tag for bands with djent style is redundant, hence reporting an error in bands genre.
----
19.03.2014 - 16:17
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by psykometal on 18.03.2014 at 16:33

Djent isn't necessarily simpler, it's usually quite complex and very detail oriented. Djent-labeled bands have a tendency to put a lot more emphasis on building an atmosphere in their songs/music as well.

Compare the likes of The Dillinger Escape Plan, Between the Buried and Me, and Psyopus (3 of the most prominent math bands) to the likes of Tesseract, Periphery and Vildhjarta (3 of the most prominent djent bands).

Add-on: Really, a more appropriate genre tag for djent bands would be something like atmospheric prog (for the softer ones like Tesseract and Skyharbor) and atmospheric prog/extreme prog (for the heavier ones like Vildhjarta and Periphery). If we were to genre-tize with more conventional genre tags.

Compared to math metal? It's much simpler. The wankery =/= complexity.

The main difference is that djent is based around a tone and math metal is based around complexity despite that they often overlap.
20.03.2014 - 02:11
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by LeKiwi on 19.03.2014 at 16:17

Compared to math metal? It's much simpler. The wankery =/= complexity.

The main difference is that djent is based around a tone and math metal is based around complexity despite that they often overlap.

It may sound simpler, but it's quite complex, and can be just as poly rhythmic as math. Math is usually more chaotic sounding, but that doesn't necessarily make it more complex.

The name djent is based on the tone, but there is a lot more to djent as a musical style than just a mere tone. You must not actually listen to any djent bands, or if you have then you didn't pay enough attention to what was being played and how; especially if you're calling djent a wanky playing style since the aforementioned djent bands, as well as many others, are hardly wanky.
----

20.03.2014 - 04:22
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by psykometal on 20.03.2014 at 02:11

It may sound simpler, but it's quite complex, and can be just as poly rhythmic as math. Math is usually more chaotic sounding, but that doesn't necessarily make it more complex.

The name djent is based on the tone, but there is a lot more to djent as a musical style than just a mere tone. You must not actually listen to any djent bands, or if you have then you didn't pay enough attention to what was being played and how; especially if you're calling djent a wanky playing style since the aforementioned djent bands, as well as many others, are hardly wanky.

I think you're misinterpreting my point. I'm saying that for something to be qualified as djent, all that is required is the tone combined with staccato notes whereas there's a lot more to be qualified as math.