Metal Storm logo
Band Profiles: Report Mistakes

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 15.03.2011 - 18:14
This is your place to report mistakes with our featured bands, in the same way as the last thread:

http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=3137
11.06.2014 - 14:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.06.2014 at 01:14

Written by LeKiwi on 10.06.2014 at 03:48
As far as I'm aware, Control Denied are still active. I can't find a single source which says otherwise. Their Facebook page indicates that they're far from inactive as they're working on their sophomore album

I'm pretty sure they went on hiatus when Chuck died, but their profile will need an update if they do eventually get around to releasing new material.

Yes they did go on hiatus when CHuck died, since it was actually a band run by Chuck with Chuck being the most important band member, just like what was the case with Death.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.06.2014 - 10:32
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Duplicate band profiles. 1st one is more complete.
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=1279
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=643
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
12.06.2014 - 15:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by M C Vice on 12.06.2014 at 10:32

Fixed. Changed duplicate to Nordheim - profile in need of work for anyone looking to kill some time.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.06.2014 - 21:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.06.2014 at 15:54

Written by M C Vice on 12.06.2014 at 10:32

Fixed. Changed duplicate to Nordheim - profile in need of work for anyone looking to kill some time.

I am here , havnt eddited band long time
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.06.2014 - 03:33
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.06.2014 at 14:54

Yes they did go on hiatus when CHuck died, since it was actually a band run by Chuck with Chuck being the most important band member, just like what was the case with Death.

Hiatus implies that you can expect no further activity from the band in terms of shows or new material. I'm aware the some bands release compilations or box-sets after their disbandment, but in this scenario an entire album is en route to being released...I wouldn't consider that inactive.
04.07.2014 - 13:49
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Atoma - Skylight page has the wrong link for "post metal album of the year 2012". The link is actually to the MS awards for 2013.
----
rekt
04.07.2014 - 17:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by tea[m]ster on 04.07.2014 at 13:49
The link is actually to the MS awards for 2013.

All Award links lead to the current page regardless, not just that album.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.07.2014 - 16:27
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.02.2014 at 01:14

Written by Risto on 02.02.2014 at 00:36
Fractal Gates are no more progressive than the last few Omnium Gatherum records. I suspect FG have one style too many rather than OG having too few.

Agreed. If Insomnium, Be'lakor, or Omnium Gatherum aren't progressive than neither are Fractal Gates.

EDIT: I was actually the one to add the prog tag, most likely due to another user suggestion before I was more familiar with the band.

Now this is a bit funny because I'm actually going to suggest an additional style tag for Omnium Gatherum Not prog though, alternative metal instead.

1996- Melodic death metal
2008- Alternative metal

Their music is pretty uniform melodeath up to Snakes Way, but some of the stuff from The Redshift onwards is just too "out there" to ignore at this point. There are still pretty straight-up melodeath songs like Nail, Everfields and The Sonic Sign, but a lot of the time the riffing and songwriting is quite removed from what is considered melodic death.

Almost the whole second half of The Redshift is a good example of this, then An Infinite Mind (pretty obvious), Formidable, Who Could Say and White Palace from the last two. Even some more straightforward songs like The Unknowing and Living In Me have a relatively unorthodox approach.
06.07.2014 - 18:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Risto on 06.07.2014 at 16:27
2008- Alternative metal

You're definitely going to have to talk with someone else about that as I don't hear any elements of alternative metal in their sound. You also won't find any mention of alternative metal on the following sites:

Discogs - heavy metal, death metal, prog rock, and melodic death metal
iTunes - pretty much every genre that isn't alternative
Last.fm tags - includes "choo choo train 2k5" and "Valkyeriex power" but not alternative
Their label - "pure northern death metal with breathtaking melodies"
Metal-Archives - melodic death metal
RateYourMusic - melodic death metal, progressive metal
Sputnik - melodic death metal
Wikipedia - melodic death metal, progressive death metal
----
06.07.2014 - 20:15
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.07.2014 at 18:49

You're definitely going to have to talk with someone else about that as I don't hear any elements of alternative metal in their sound. You also won't find any mention of alternative metal on the following sites:

*list*

I'm well aware of the fact there's no mention about alt-metal elsewhere, that's why I supported my claim there with arguments. It's almost a fact though that they don't fit the melodeath confines at all times, the pretty brutal vocals go a long way of masking things. Prog metal tags kinda underline that, but it's a little much.

I'll leave a couple of tasters of what I'm talking about to that "someone else", not arsed to post half an album.

06.07.2014 - 21:23
Ilham
Giant robot
I'm definitely not that someone. But I'll just go on and talk because I'm bored and had to listen to these songs. In the first one, the way the chorus goes pulls on gothic, but that's all. The second is the plainest example of what modern melodeath can be.
07.07.2014 - 02:45
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I'm definitely with Troy in that OG aren't straight forward MDM, but then again I've never understood how bands like Soilwork (having only heard their last album) and Scar Symmetry can be considered MDM...

When I think of MDM, Insomnium, Before The Dawn, Be'lakor, At The Gates, old In Flames, Arch Enemy and Dark Tranquillity come to mind...not aforementioned bands. Can someone explain this to me?
07.07.2014 - 03:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
All of the bands you mentioned are melodic death metal - some just approach the style a little differently. The reason you might not think of Scar Symmetry as a melodic death metal band is due to their progressive/power metal influence. Soilwork seem to have a more thrash-influenced approach (not unlike Arch Enemy) with hints of alternative metal throughout as well, but they are still considered on the whole to be melodic death metal.
----
07.07.2014 - 19:18
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.07.2014 at 03:53

All of the bands you mentioned are melodic death metal - some just approach the style a little differently. The reason you might not think of Scar Symmetry as a melodic death metal band is due to their progressive/power metal influence.

I agree with LeKiwi actually, at least to a degree. Most of Holographic Universe is prog-power with growled vocals on top rather than being properly Gothenburg based. Wikipedia pretty much nails it as they don't recognise the extreme power tag.
07.07.2014 - 23:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Risto on 07.07.2014 at 19:18
I agree with LeKiwi actually, at least to a degree. Most of Holographic Universe is prog-power with growled vocals on top rather than being properly Gothenburg based. Wikipedia pretty much nails it as they don't recognise the extreme power tag.

Agreed. Honestly I'm not sure why they were given the Gothenburg metal tag since their sound is barely associated with it.
----
08.07.2014 - 10:31
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.07.2014 at 23:35

Honestly I'm not sure why they were given the Gothenburg metal tag since their sound is barely associated with it.

I was going for a similar idea with Omnium Gatherum, meaning their music giving the impression of growls sans death metal at quite a few occasions. I give up on the alt-metal tag though, back to drawing board
10.07.2014 - 18:22
Risto
Wandering Midget
Who suddenly decided that Ghost Brigade are melodic death metal? Another example of over-emphasising vocals and even that is an inaccurate judgement here, as especially the debut album harsh vocals are pretty hardcore.

10.07.2014 - 19:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Risto on 10.07.2014 at 18:22
Who suddenly decided that Ghost Brigade are melodic death metal? Another example of over-emphasising vocals and even that is an inaccurate judgement here, as especially the debut album harsh vocals are pretty hardcore.

Changed to post-metal and prog. Not sure why they were labeled as melodeath either - most likely due to the harsh vocals.
----
10.07.2014 - 20:17
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.07.2014 at 19:22

Changed to post-metal and prog. Not sure why they were labeled as melodeath either - most likely due to the harsh vocals.

They used to be under atmospheric sludge metal before someone changed it, wasn't a bad tag TBH.
13.07.2014 - 21:05
Fearmeister
Account deleted
13.07.2014 - 21:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 13.07.2014 at 21:05

Found this weird band by accident.

http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=807&bandname=Primal%2BDawn%2B-%2BOutrage

and what are you say whit this?

edit I see 2 bands in the title

edit it was undercraft who wrote review in 2003
----

apos;'
[image]
16.07.2014 - 08:30
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 13.07.2014 at 21:05

Found this weird band by accident.

http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=807&bandname=Primal%2BDawn%2B-%2BOutrage

This issue has been resolved.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

14.08.2014 - 13:49
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Added prog deathcore to Ovid's Withering. I'm also not too sure about the blackened deathcore tag...
15.08.2014 - 02:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by LeKiwi on 14.08.2014 at 13:49
Added prog deathcore to Ovid's Withering. I'm also not too sure about the blackened deathcore tag...

Don't forget to add the years when editing styles.

I've heard them referred to as a mix of deathcore, symphonic black metal, and djent. I wouldn't object to seeing the profile reflect that accordingly, or some kind of combination like that.
----
15.08.2014 - 02:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.08.2014 at 02:34

Written by LeKiwi on 14.08.2014 at 13:49

I've heard them referred to as a mix of deathcore, symphonic black metal, and djent. I wouldn't object to seeing the profile reflect that accordingly, or some kind of combination like that.

There are many bands whit out years, if I see and know band and aproximettly I try edit
----

apos;'
[image]
15.08.2014 - 02:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Bad English on 15.08.2014 at 02:42
There are many bands whit out years, if I see and know band and aproximettly I try edit

I know you do, and thanks for doing it. But I was reminding LeKiwi, not you.
----
15.08.2014 - 03:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.08.2014 at 02:48

Written by Bad English on 15.08.2014 at 02:42

I know you do, and thanks for doing it. But I was reminding LeKiwi, not you.

I know, I just saying and years can be confusing as well, for unknown bands what change a styles

BTW Holci or what is his name add a lot of genres whit out years
----

apos;'
[image]
15.08.2014 - 03:25
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.08.2014 at 02:34

Sure thing. I'll look into the styles further.
15.08.2014 - 18:33
psykometal
A staff guy...
I discovered Hollci's bad habit of not adding years yesterday and promptly sent him a PM informing he needs to start adding years or he could find himself unable to edit without Staff check.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

15.08.2014 - 18:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 15.08.2014 at 18:33

I discovered Hollci's bad habit of not adding years yesterday and promptly sent him a PM informing he needs to start adding years or he could find himself unable to edit without Staff check.

I knew it like 1 year ago ... I did add years after him when I walk true some bands ... but years can be tricky , if there is like Metallica type style change to unknown MA band

I try add years based on info what I know and so on and write temporally ... Marcel is much more full whit info about this so he also can help and edit
----

apos;'
[image]