Metal Storm logo
Band Profiles: Report Mistakes

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 15.03.2011 - 18:14
This is your place to report mistakes with our featured bands, in the same way as the last thread:

http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=3137
04.12.2014 - 21:57
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by M C Vice on 04.12.2014 at 09:35

Could Opera IX get symphonic black extended to include 2004? At least half of Anphisbena is symphonic black rather than folk black.

Done.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

04.12.2014 - 22:02
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by LeKiwi on 02.12.2014 at 15:07

I believe Burst is far more varied than suggested by the style "progressive metalcore". I think the following would be more representative of their stylistic changes:

Progressive metalcore (1993-2007)
Hardcore (1993-2002)
Post-hardcore (2003)
Post-metal (2005-2009)
Progressive sludge (2008-2009)

Any thoughts?

Done.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

04.12.2014 - 23:50
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I was never into this drone/noise stuff...but, as far as I can tell, Full Of Hell incorporate one of those two quite a bit. Check this out.
05.12.2014 - 02:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LeKiwi on 04.12.2014 at 23:50

I was never into this drone/noise stuff...but, as far as I can tell, Full Of Hell incorporate one of those two quite a bit. Check this out.

as Drone doom its slower , that's to fast. IMO its some noise punk shit something
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.12.2014 - 03:25
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Bad English on 05.12.2014 at 02:33

as Drone doom its slower , that's to fast. IMO its some noise punk shit something

Agreed, I think it's: noise + hardcore (punk?) + grindcore. I honestly don't know the difference between hardcore and hardcore punk...
05.12.2014 - 10:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by LeKiwi on 05.12.2014 at 03:25

Agreed, I think it's: noise + hardcore (punk?) + grindcore. I honestly don't know the difference between hardcore and hardcore punk...

I think technically there isn't, or shouldn't be, a difference. Hardcore = hardcore punk. I guess a lot of people use hardcore like a blanket term.
05.12.2014 - 11:02
Ilham
Giant robot
As Joe said. But from most of what I seen, nowadays, the "punk" is added when the music has a strong crust/d-beat feel. Hardcore alone is most of the times used for more modern and/or metallic sounding bands, as if the punk in it was gone. From the genre research I did, both are kind of wrong: the "hardcore" we listen to now is 90% of the time actual post-hardcore, but what we call post-hardcore (melodic/screamo/emo etc) should be more deserving of the term "post-post-hardcore" haha.

In the case of Full Of Hell, no offence LeKiwi, but why go change the tags for a band/genre you don't know about? FOH are hardcore PUNK + grindocre + noise. Approximately in that order of importance.
05.12.2014 - 12:35
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Ilham on 05.12.2014 at 11:02

As Joe said. But from most of what I seen, nowadays, the "punk" is added when the music has a strong crust/d-beat feel. Hardcore alone is most of the times used for more modern and/or metallic sounding bands, as if the punk in it was gone. From the genre research I did, both are kind of wrong: the "hardcore" we listen to now is 90% of the time actual post-hardcore, but what we call post-hardcore (melodic/screamo/emo etc) should be more deserving of the term "post-post-hardcore" haha.

In the case of Full Of Hell, no offence LeKiwi, but why go change the tags for a band/genre you don't know about? FOH are hardcore PUNK + grindocre + noise. Approximately in that order of importance.

I think I see.....

I didn't change them - I posted my concerns here to see what people thought. I don't have the permissions regardless.
05.12.2014 - 12:39
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by LeKiwi on 05.12.2014 at 12:35

I think I see.....

I didn't change them - I posted my concerns here to see what people thought. I don't have the permissions regardless.

All my apologies. Yeah it just misses the noise tag if you want to add it. There's a lot of it in FOH, so much that they just released an album with Merzbow.
06.12.2014 - 06:43
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Can Jucifer get sludge extended to include at leat 1994? All the way back to 93, when the band was formed, might be neater, though. They don't have any genre attached to 93-97. The 94 ep Nadir sounds like sludge. (it sounds a lot like Throned In Blood, which also has the noise genre attached to it. Not sure if Nadir is really noise, though.)
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
06.12.2014 - 23:16
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
From my perspective Schammasch's styles need some modification. I heard hear a strong prevalence of sludge, black, and death, with proggy overtones throughout. While these styles overlap at times, I'm unsure as to a definite categorisation. Any thoughts?
06.12.2014 - 23:24
Ilham
Giant robot
Hehe it's as if you just called me. Now having listened to it six times in two days, I would call it progressive black. But as I said in the review, at times it just does such a great job at integrating death and some sludge that it's to tell without discriminating. Wouldn't call it prevalently sludge at all though. To me there is no doubt this is based in orthodox black metal, so black metal has to remain in the tag, whether we want to add progressive or death to it.
06.12.2014 - 23:28
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Ilham on 06.12.2014 at 23:24

Hehe it's as if you just called me. Now having listened to it six times in two days, I would call it progressive black. But as I said in the review, at times it just does such a great job at integrating death and some sludge that it's to tell without discriminating. Wouldn't call it prevalently sludge at all though. To me there is no doubt this is based in orthodox black metal, so black metal has to remain in the tag, whether we want to add progressive or death to it.

I'm going to give the album a thorough listen now and I'll come back - really looking forward to it
06.12.2014 - 23:34
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by LeKiwi on 06.12.2014 at 23:28

I'm going to give the album a thorough listen now and I'll come back - really looking forward to it

You'll enjoy every minute of it . I think they're so hard to categorise because they take from bands that are extremely hard to label themselves. Dso, Behemoth, subtle touches of BaN, Monotheist/Triptykon. It's a fucking puzzle. But it's because of the dominant dissonant guitars à la DSO that every tag we can affix to them as to be affixed to black metal.
06.12.2014 - 23:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 06.12.2014 at 06:43

Can Jucifer get sludge extended to include at leat 1994? All the way back to 93, when the band was formed, might be neater, though. They don't have any genre attached to 93-97. The 94 ep Nadir sounds like sludge. (it sounds a lot like Throned In Blood, which also has the noise genre attached to it. Not sure if Nadir is really noise, though.)

write how it should be I will try to fix
----

apos;'
[image]
06.12.2014 - 23:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ilham on 06.12.2014 at 23:24

wrote how it should be I try to fix
----

apos;'
[image]
06.12.2014 - 23:36
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Bad English on 06.12.2014 at 23:36

We're still discussing that.
06.12.2014 - 23:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ilham on 06.12.2014 at 23:36

Written by Bad English on 06.12.2014 at 23:36

We're still discussing that.

when it will be done PM me
----

apos;'
[image]
06.12.2014 - 23:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I need help whit this band http://metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=1102&bandname=Fanyan+%26+Dark

20min and google can not find anything ;( maybe someone knows more
----

apos;'
[image]
07.12.2014 - 00:38
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Bad English on 06.12.2014 at 23:55

I need help whit this band http://metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=1102&bandname=Fanyan+%26+Dark

20min and google can not find anything ;( maybe someone knows more

I found a few links which might help:
http://y.qq.com/y/static/album/87/album_306087_1.html
http://www.kuwo.cn/album/251892/
http://music.douban.com/subject/1846472/
07.12.2014 - 00:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Thanks but that help was more I need to figure out , maybe I will leave band as it is
----

apos;'
[image]
07.12.2014 - 01:55
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Bad English on 06.12.2014 at 23:35

Written by M C Vice on 06.12.2014 at 06:43

write how it should be I will try to fix

Change the sludge tag to be from 93 onwards instead of 98 onwards.
----
07.12.2014 - 03:14
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by M C Vice on 07.12.2014 at 01:55

On the topic of Jucifer, I just listened to their album L'Autrichienne and I'm pretty sure what I'm hearing - see the 2nd track - is crust punk. Can anyone comment on this?

Edit: come to think of it...the album has absolutely no consistency style-wise. Perhaps an experimental tag would be the most appropriate?
07.12.2014 - 03:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

done
----

apos;'
[image]
07.12.2014 - 03:59
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Added "post-hardcore" to Devil Sold His Soul from 2004 onwards. Changed "sludge metalcore" to "sludge metal". Thinking about removing the latter tag it entirely given that any metal derived "post" tag inherently implies sludge influences...

Currently sits at:
- Sludge metal (2004-2013)
- Post-hardcore (2004-)
07.12.2014 - 05:03
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by LeKiwi on 07.12.2014 at 03:14

On the topic of Jucifer, I just listened to their album L'Autrichienne and I'm pretty sure what I'm hearing - see the 2nd track - is crust punk. Can anyone comment on this?

Edit: come to think of it...the album has absolutely no consistency style-wise. Perhaps an experimental tag would be the most appropriate?

Yeah, their first few albums were all over the shop, especially that one. That's the problem the last 2 have had - not as much variety.
Oh, while I remember. Is Cadaveria really symphonic or avant-garde? Shadow's Madam is avand-garde-ish, but In Your Blood and Silence sound more like alternative than anything else. Don't know about the other 2 albums, haven't heard them.
----
07.12.2014 - 08:15
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by M C Vice on 07.12.2014 at 05:03

Oh, while I remember. Is Cadaveria really symphonic or avant-garde? Shadow's Madam is avand-garde-ish, but In Your Blood and Silence sound more like alternative than anything else. Don't know about the other 2 albums, haven't heard them.

I've only heard their latest album, Silence. I don't hear any symphonic, that much I'm sure of. As for the avant-garde tag...I'm not sure. It doesn't sound overtly over-the-top, but then again I hear black, death, alternative, gothic, and perhaps even "post"..

Would be nice to hear what people think.
09.12.2014 - 07:02
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
WHOURKR - the grindcore tag should be replaced by cybergrind.
09.12.2014 - 14:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LeKiwi on 09.12.2014 at 07:02

WHOURKR - the grindcore tag should be replaced by cybergrind.

whats a diference? and I did search we have no such style cybergrind
----

apos;'
[image]
09.12.2014 - 15:45
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Bad English on 09.12.2014 at 14:03

whats a diference? and I did search we have no such style cybergrind

Igorrr and Kunt Puncher are cybergrind.