Found in 1 list
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 37   Visited by: 292 users
15.03.2011 - 19:58
Rating: 8
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Woah, seems like all the X Factor and Virtual XI songs are live versions with Bruce singing... lol

No need for yet another Maiden compilation though...
15.03.2011 - 20:07
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.03.2011 at 19:58

Woah, seems like all the X Factor and Virtual XI songs are live versions with Bruce singing... lol

No need for yet another Maiden compilation though...

Agreed.

I have "Best of the Beast", I don't think we need to have so many compilations.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
15.03.2011 - 20:15
Rating: 6
Sepulnation
I don't need another "Best Of" ...
----
fuck shit up!
15.03.2011 - 20:19
Silent Jay
To be honest I was hoping ever since 'The Early Days' for a '1990-1999' album and tour to come after 'Somewhere Back in Time'. This would give the band a good opportunity to cover some of the forgotten stuff from the 90's, in particular some more Blaze-era material, with Bruce and Adrian. Then another studio album followed by one last 'history tour' covering Brave New World onwards. Sounds much more logical and neat than what they have done here, and rushing through the history like this is hinting towards a retirement sooner rather than later. Not impressed with the small amount of Blaze-era material either, which looks like it's going to be live versions with Bruce singing. Poor show.

That said I do like the artwork. Still has that lame look to it that brought down 'Death on the Road' and 'The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg' IMO but beats them by miles...
15.03.2011 - 20:23
Mad Mike
I hate to play the role of John Madden Captain Obvious. But compilation albums, especially in today's mp3 age, are completely useless.
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
15.03.2011 - 21:21
metalbandi
Surtur
Written by Mad Mike on 15.03.2011 at 20:23

I hate to play the role of John Madden Captain Obvious. But compilation albums, especially in today's mp3 age, are completely useless.

Absolutely seconded. Maybe a compilation of those songs would be nice though that aren't that easily available. Like demos, Soundhouse Tapes, stuff like that (though I guess in case of IM there aren't too many songs that are not available).
15.03.2011 - 22:34
Kalmari
Apart from the Man On The Edge live version with Bruce and the great looking artwork this cd is pretty useless. I'm waiting more for the dvd they just confirmed, it's going to be recorded from the shows of Chile and Argentina and released later this year /,,/
15.03.2011 - 22:48
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Another pretty much pointless release.
16.03.2011 - 00:30
RavenKing
Great! Exactly what we needed.
Another utterly pointless Maiden compilation.

Capitalism in all its splendour.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
16.03.2011 - 08:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Cashgrab galore. Iron Maiden meet Manowar, Manowar meet Iron Maiden.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.03.2011 - 13:29
RavenKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.03.2011 at 08:34

Cashgrab galore. Iron Maiden meet Manowar, Manowar meet Iron Maiden.

Years ago, I would never have thought I could one day put Iron Maiden and Manowar in the same sentence. But today I must admit Maiden are as bad as Manowar when it comes to pointless releases, crappy new albums, ticket prices and all kind of cashgrab we can imagine.

Really, Iron Maiden should have called a quit before they became so pathetic.
The only thing I still have respect for, when it comes to Iron Maiden, is their 80s albums. They were very good and will ever be. As for the rest, I feel only disgust for this band. I guess we need to have been there in the 80s to measure all the extent of the difference between what Maiden were back then and the joke they are nowadays.
----
16.03.2011 - 13:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by RavenKing on 16.03.2011 at 13:29

I guess we need to have been there in the 80s to measure all the extent of the difference between what Maiden were back then and the joke they are nowadays.

Having grown up with the band's 80s releases it saddens me as much as it does you. Up to and including 7th they did almost no wrong in my eyes back then (excpet that I found and still find Somewhere in Time the weakest of the first 7) but then... they released No Prayer For The Dying, my God did I cry my self to sleep when I bought it and listened to it at home. Especially what I consider Maiden's worst song ever... Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter. Thinking they could not sink any lower they released Fear Of The Dark. Wow, they had just outdone themselves in shittiness. And the rest is of course history.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.03.2011 - 13:47
RavenKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.03.2011 at 13:34

I guess we need to have been there in the 80s to measure all the extent of the difference between what Maiden were back then and the joke they are nowadays.

Having grown up with the band's 80s releases it saddens me as much as it does you. Up to and including 7th they did almost no wrong in my eyes back then (excpet that I found and still find Somewhere in Time the weakest of the first 7) but then... they released No Prayer For The Dying, my God did I cry my self to sleep when I bought it and listened to it at home. Especially what I consider Maiden's worst song ever... Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter. Thinking they could not sink any lower they released Fear Of The Dark. Wow, they had just outdone themselves in shittiness. And the rest is of course history.

If you read my long post in the "Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier" thread (in the Reviews section), you know it's pretty much how I feel too. I agree on everything, except for the part about "Somewhere In Time". I think SIT is a great album and among my favorite Maiden albums of the 80s. But it's only a matter of tastes. Our analysis of the band and their (d)evolution is quite similar.

I would add that it's easy for the young ones to overlook the 90s, how Maiden sucked at that time, how nearly everyone considered the band dead, the blandness and totally uninspired albums they released after Bruce's comeback, etc. They weren't there to see those shitty years while still having in mind the golden years.
----
16.03.2011 - 15:53
lingus99
I'm sure it's a record company decision and not necessarily the band. But can anyone say cash-in.

It's disappointing but cause they were my favourite band until this endless stream of greatest hits and live albums.
16.03.2011 - 18:55
RavenKing
Written by lingus99 on 16.03.2011 at 15:53

I'm sure it's a record company decision and not necessarily the band.

Could be. But I believe a band as famous and rich as Iron Maiden could prevent such pointless releases if they wished to.
However, no matter who's really guilty, it is no less a useless cashgrab.

I have nothing against compilations (even though it doesn't worth it, imo) when it is done reasonably. But, like you said, an endless stream like that is ridiculous. Same for lives and DVDs.
----
16.03.2011 - 18:58
(((O)))
Wow, another completely pointless compilation, just to suck every single nickel from their fans..
16.03.2011 - 19:00
Rating: 8
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I do have a feeling this is more the record companies' doing than Maiden themselves. But like Ravenking said, they probably could prevent them (compilations/greatest hits) from being released if they really wanted to. Though Im not really sure how it works. Motorhead have probably had the most of these compilations released out of any metal band. But a lot of them are unauthorised and not endorsed by the band themselves. So bands can't always be blamed for these type of record company cash grabs. I know Judas Priest have complained before about compilations being released without their knowledge, or backing. Mainly from their old record companies.
16.03.2011 - 19:08
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.03.2011 at 19:00

I do have a feeling this is more the record companies' doing than Maiden themselves. But like Ravenking said, they probably could prevent them (compilations/greatest hits) from being released if they really wanted to. Though Im not really sure how it works/ Motorhead have probably had the most of these compilations released out of any metal band. but a lot of them are unauthorised and not endorsed by the band themselves. So bands can't always be blamed for these type of record company cash grabs. I know Judas Priest have complained before about compilations being released without their knowledge, or backing. Mainly from their old record companies.

In Maiden's case, I would be less quick to blame them for it, if it wasn't that I have a feeling it is a general attitude and they milk their fans in every kind of way we can imagine. I don't think the events of the last 15 years and especially since Bruce's comeback are speaking in their favor.
----
16.03.2011 - 23:54
@gent_-_orange
Is this is what Maiden are coming to now? Damn shame...
17.03.2011 - 00:30
DoomGuard
I loved TFF and this album looks great, too bad the comments are so negative
17.03.2011 - 01:47
Void_Eater
Account deleted
God damnit, another compilation... Don't they allready have around 4 million of those? Not to mention that they're basically giving a big Fuck You to Blaze, by only having Bruce versions of the Blaze era songs. I love Maiden. but this is getting ridiculous... Don't yall have enough cash? At least Metallica, who everybody knows sold out, doesn't release all sorts of pointless compilations... Not to mention that they're not having any 80's material... Yeah I know they just released Somewhere Back in Time... But do they really need ANOTHER compilation, dedicated to the lesser part of their career? God damnit Maiden...
17.03.2011 - 02:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I'm looking forward to their 2000-20010 compilation next.

Let's be honest, is there anything post-1990 worth compiling when it comes to these guys?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.03.2011 - 05:34
RavenKing
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.03.2011 at 02:46

Let's be honest, is there anything post-1990 worth compiling when it comes to these guys?

If you ask me, the answer is simple: a big NO.
----
17.03.2011 - 12:01
arwestromen
Wow you guys don't like compilation albums huh
I wont buy this one but I have nothing against it...my first IM album was a comp album (best of the beast 97 or 98) and it made me the fan I am today
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
21.03.2011 - 14:54
Prowler84
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.03.2011 at 13:34

as you should know,tastes differ. you consider somewhere in time weakest among holy first seven releases unlike most maiden fans who can easily put it in his/her all time favourite. By the way, albums like x factor,brave new world,matter of life and death,vs.. are all great releases that noone should ignore. Yes,most compilation releases are pointless but we can not say they are making shitty albums. You can dislike them but no to say they are lacking quality.
----
Steve Harris isn't a God.God is a S.Harris!!
21.03.2011 - 23:15
RavenKing
Written by Prowler84 on 21.03.2011 at 14:54

Yes,most compilation releases are pointless but we can not say they are making shitty albums. You can dislike them but no to say they are lacking quality.

Oh sure, we can. Maiden released shitty albums and very mediocre songs and no one will ever prevent me to say it out loud.
It's not only because Iron Maiden is printed on the cover that it means it's quality stuff.
----
25.03.2011 - 18:57
Head_Crusher
The need for these albums is not necessary, but cool cover though
25.03.2011 - 19:00
Head_Crusher
Written by Guest on 17.03.2011 at 01:47

God damnit, another compilation... Don't they allready have around 4 million of those? Not to mention that they're basically giving a big Fuck You to Blaze, by only having Bruce versions of the Blaze era songs.

ya but Blaze never had anything decent anyway, Bruce actually made them listenable.
27.04.2011 - 18:58
JeffreyAgente
Account deleted
Wasting love?!
23.05.2011 - 11:54
Rating: 5
erykk
Iron Maiden = My favorite band
Another "Best Of" = Error
----
Open your eyes

Hits total: 10482 | This month: 16