Metal Storm logo
How did you live without...

Original post

Posted by thefadedline, 12.09.2006 - 02:45
My question to you all is, have you ever heard an album or song and wondered how you 'got by' in the past not knowing of the music in question? For instance, you discover a band and you really love the music they make. You wonder how you enjoyed music in this way before you made this discovery.

I think this is only possible in hindsight as you don't know any better. You can't think, "Wow, I can't wait to discover this amazing band and have them completely reinvent my outlook on music!". But I find, when I hear a new band or song which I really love, it contrasts with everything else and makes it seem pretty, average.

I don't even know what I am talking about here.
25.03.2009 - 22:11
Valentin B
Iconoclast
The only band that i can truly ask myself "how did i live without them??" is

Judas Priest

i hereby thoroughly declare myself a Judas Priest fanboy.
05.04.2009 - 23:50
TormentoR.

<3 the bald dude is so sexy <3
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
06.04.2009 - 03:24
Vanwarp

The following album had the same effect on me in that the music is so amazing that it made me forget about many classic hard rocking/metal albums of yesteryear, although this "feeling" does have a tendency to happen every now and then...

----
"Only sick music makes money today." Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (1844 - 1900)
08.04.2009 - 15:59
Beowulf

Iron Maiden
08.04.2009 - 18:23
nehrodwarf

the metal style changed my outlook of music, and mainly IRON MAIDEN.
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
08.04.2009 - 19:04
Biedrik

I don't know how I ever lived without Dark Empire. They're one of the best bands to form in this decade, in my opinion. How I survived without their two albums is a mystery for me to this day. They're just pure metal magic.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
27.04.2009 - 20:29
Heart_of_METAL

Ensiferum and Sabaton is for me biggest discovery at last time. And band without can´t I live? That is Judas Priest, my favorite one.
27.04.2009 - 20:47
GULCH OF ROT

Pantera changed every thing for me
----
AND ON THE 7TH DAY THE GULCH BEGAN TO ROT

http://www.myspace.com/gulchofrot
30.04.2009 - 04:12
thyfuneral
Account deleted
I can't live without Metal Music especially my favorite genre Bestial war/goat worshiper, how boring without them in my everyday life...
13.05.2009 - 23:18
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Sentenced
This amazing band makes me sure i can feel and am not the mere cold apathetic stony-faced bastard i always think i am, reallly.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
14.05.2009 - 05:00
munson

I think In Flames was really that band for me. THat was really when I started to turn onto the more extreme forms of metal. Before that it was more "friendly" metal, like thrash and traditional heavy, as well as some power.
14.05.2009 - 06:33
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...dream theater...it changed my life in so much ways...i strarted to get more into metal & i made a bunch of amazing friends...haven't listened to them much lately but it always makes me remember nice times...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
20.08.2009 - 15:46
Razorback

How could i live without immortal
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
20.08.2009 - 16:43
Mikyz

For me it was In Flames, they were the first growling band i listened to and I got hooked on immediatly, well it was then I asked myself how could I live without this shit XD
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
24.10.2009 - 21:32
Hanyuchan

Dimmu Borgir
25.10.2009 - 19:26
Kratos

Slayer, they are not the best band out there but they got me into a whole bunch of different genre's like death and black metal
28.10.2009 - 22:30
MetallicA

Metal in general. When I was 16 and first heard death metal, I thought to myself "How did I not know about this? This is awesome!"

after that, specific bands would be Avenger, Rotting Christ, Hell-Born, and Bolt Thrower and some others.
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
04.01.2010 - 20:24
Panterica

I have no idea how I survived without Opeth. They influenced me deeply and Mikael Akerfeldt is my idol, he gets my full respect.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
10.01.2010 - 07:44
Numbskull

The year: 1977

The group/album: Black Sabbath/We sold our souls for rock-n-roll

I had been listening to bands like April Wine, Aerosmith, Boston....
And then I heard Black Sabbath. It was so dark and heavy. The bass and guitar sounded like something straight from hell. Ozzy's haunting wail sounded like a tortured soul trapped in hell. At the time I thought ...man is this some evil music. It was like I had found the key that opened a lock and the metal poured in. Then, there was Judas Priest with their speed and power - and, Halfords searing vocals.
11.06.2010 - 18:12
busta5000
Account deleted
Yes & no I mean I first liked pop then went to rnb then to rap then to rock then to hardrock then to metal so it was a process not like from pop to metal!!! hardrock introduced me to metal & the first metal song I heard was die mf die by dope. till this day this is one of my favorite songs.
16.08.2010 - 13:54
F0rang3l

Afte hearing Rammstein's debut album Harzeleid I couldn't believe I hadn't discovered them earlier.
----
For there is a purpose and reason
Beyond all human apprehension
The shrieking silence in the blackness of space
16.08.2010 - 15:14
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by F0rang3l on 16.08.2010 at 13:54

Afte hearing Rammstein's debut album Harzeleid I couldn't believe I hadn't discovered them earlier.

Rammstein is ridiculous. Everyone loves them, yet their musicianship is pretty low. They barely alternate between two riffs a song and the techno keyboards everyone likes. They're pretty much a gimmick. Catchy songs, Lindemann's bass voice, German lyrics (seriously, kids think they're so cool for listening to "German metal") and stage performances akin to KISS.

I like them too, they're great at making catchy and addicting music, but there's no need to praise them as some metal masters.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
16.08.2010 - 15:18
F0rang3l

Written by vezzy on 16.08.2010 at 15:14

Written by F0rang3l on 16.08.2010 at 13:54

Rammstein is ridiculous. Everyone loves them, yet their musicianship is pretty low. They barely alternate between two riffs a song and the techno keyboards everyone likes. They're pretty much a gimmick. Catchy songs, Lindemann's bass voice, German lyrics (seriously, kids think they're so cool for listening to "German metal") and stage performances akin to KISS.

I like them too, they're great at making catchy and addicting music, but there's no need to praise them as some metal masters.

Well thats the industrial genre, two riffs a song and no solo and their stage performance is way more superior than KISS, I haven't seen anyone else do the things they do on stage.
----
For there is a purpose and reason
Beyond all human apprehension
The shrieking silence in the blackness of space
16.08.2010 - 15:50
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by F0rang3l on 16.08.2010 at 15:18

Well thats the industrial genre, two riffs a song and no solo and their stage performance is way more superior than KISS, I haven't seen anyone else do the things they do on stage.

Yet bands like Godflesh pull it off much better. Also, being a good actor =/= being a good musician.
----
16.08.2010 - 18:11
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by vezzy on 16.08.2010 at 15:50

Written by F0rang3l on 16.08.2010 at 15:18

Yet bands like Godflesh pull it off much better. Also, being a good actor =/= being a good musician.

He never claimed they they're 'musical wizards' or 'masters' as you say or even 'good' musicians, all he said was that he wish he had heard about them earlier.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
16.08.2010 - 18:42
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Zombie on 16.08.2010 at 18:11

He never claimed they they're 'musical wizards' or 'masters' as you say or even 'good' musicians, all he said was that he wish he had heard about them earlier.

Sorry, it was worded in such a way that it sounded like he found something particularly great in them.
----
17.08.2010 - 00:47
Kennoth

That can be said with everyone's favorite bands he/she enjoys at the moment...

Some of the greatest artists/bands that had or still have big impact on me: Eminem, Evanescence, Hammerfall, Korn, Disturbed, Within Temptation, Scar Symmetry.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
17.08.2010 - 01:33
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Rush - I discovred them very late; one of my favourite bands these days.
17.08.2010 - 12:01
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Kennoth on 17.08.2010 at 00:47
Eminem, Evanescence, Hammerfall, Korn, Disturbed, Within Temptation, Scar Symmetry.

You'd start trembling after hearing some other artists, but oh well.
----
17.08.2010 - 14:36
Kennoth

Written by vezzy on 17.08.2010 at 12:01

You'd start trembling after hearing some other artists, but oh well.

Hardly. Just because I don't listen to some more extreme metal genres, doesn't mean I never tried.
----
*insert something deep and profound*