Denmark
Listenable Records

Line-up on the CD:
Magnus Jørgensen - vocals
Lasse Bak - guitars
Rasmus Henriksen - guitars
Michael Enevoldsen - bass
Mads Lauridsen - drums

Danish blackened death metallers Panzerchrist have been kicking ass and taking names since their 2001 full-length, Soul Collector. The album begins the way it ends - loud, abrasive, and unrelenting - the way a blackened death metal album should be. There isn't anything worth writing home about in the originality department, but the level of badassery on this release is so high that even attempting to add in "progressive leads" or "genre-transcending ambience" (or whatever gimmick most modern bands are selling these days) would serve as a pointless gesture, as anything less than Chuck Norris added to the mix would be crushed under the tank that is the Regiment. Simply put: this is a fist in your face.

A bearded chin-fist, that is.

Regiment Ragnarok, ironically released via Listenable Records, features newcomer Magnus Jørgensen - responsible for manning the vocals. "Vocals", or, a rabid eagle's piercing scream as it hooks its jagged talons into the underflesh of a hopeless rodent before it rips its body apart into a glowing red haze.

In case you're wondering, you're the pathetic rodent being turned into cranberry sauce.

Of course, that's just the tone of the album. But what of the actual music? Think Goatwhore's A Haunting Curse with militaristic drumming and more punk-driven riffage. The sparse use of melodies makes for a very enjoyable break the few times they do enter the fray, and they're a bit more enduring than Sammy Duet's rhythmic creations. Comparisons will undoubtedly be made to warmongering Aussies Deströyer 666 for their high-octane form of black metal, but the foundation of each band (D36 being more about melodic hooks, Jesus Tanks being more about brutality) rests opposite each other on the black metal spectrum.

In spite of the album blending together when played on a repeated basis, there are song-defining moments that help the listener differentiate between tracks. Panzerchrist do a marvelous job at topping the aggression scale, but more focus next time around could be put into incorporating slightly more melodic moments or at least shortening the track lengths, as some songs tend to sound like an unfinished idea. When all is said and done this will more than please fans of the band as a new release, and should make its mark in a few black and/or death metal lists for 2011.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 19.03.2011 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 120 users
20.03.2011 - 07:11
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I'm not horribly familiar with this band, having heard several songs of each of their albums but never one album straight through, but the two songs I heard on their myspace actually sounded somewhat different than their previous efforts; mainly more melody. Of course it's still Panzerchrist-Which unfortunantly means it gets boring fast. Like a posted somewhere else, the AC/DC of metal.
22.03.2011 - 06:25
The Emperor

Admittedly Panzerchrist aren't ones for variety. But I have to agree that they certainly have the intensity. Haven't heard any of this new album yet, but I think I'll miss Bo Summers vocals. Jeez he's got a real deep full growl. At least we still have Illdisposed. Keen to check the new PC out though.
22.03.2011 - 12:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by The Emperor on 22.03.2011 at 06:25

Admittedly Panzerchrist aren't ones for variety. But I have to agree that they certainly have the intensity. Haven't heard any of this new album yet, but I think I'll miss Bo Summers vocals. Jeez he's got a real deep full growl. At least we still have Illdisposed. Keen to check the new PC out though.

Having looked into Jorgenson's other outfits prior to this review, I was a bit hesitant. The guy works/worked with a metalcore/thrash band and a melodeath band, so I wasn't sure he'd have the appropriate depth like Bo. It looks like it turned out to be a good move though, not only does this new guy have some nice low growls (though far from guttural), he also hits his high range shrieks with ease.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.03.2011 - 01:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Listening to Room Service now and they have a nice sound so will probably check this out in the near future.
25.03.2011 - 01:47
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 25.03.2011 at 01:45

Listening to Room Service now and they have a nice sound so will probably check this out in the near future.

roomservice is very good especially if you compare it with their next, battalion beast, which i feel that is not that great.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
25.03.2011 - 02:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 25.03.2011 at 01:47

roomservice is very good especially if you compare it with their next, battalion beast, which i feel that is not that great.

Ever one to disagree ( ), I'd say BB is their best effort.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.03.2011 - 12:03
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.03.2011 at 02:48

Written by Deadmeat on 25.03.2011 at 01:47

Ever one to disagree ( ), I'd say BB is their best effort.

i find roomservice a bit uninspiring in monents but BB is very boring for me. it follows always the same formula in the melodies.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
27.03.2011 - 23:39
demonicdebby

Listend to their albums and have to say i like them alot specially the drumming is a nice kick in the ass singer is great and well all and all i like to listen to it thumbsup from me ,i dont hear the fast drumming that much.....:banger2:

Hits total: 8320 | This month: 9