Release date: February 2011

01. Tähdetön
02. Hävitetty
03. Muinaiset
04. Nälkä, Väsymys Ja Epätoivo
05. Huuto
06. Kuolleille
07. Kuolleiden Maa

The wait is finally over. Finland's premier band Moonsorrow released their latest album in early 2011. And like a ton of bricks hitting you in the gut, the sharply-named Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa [Like Shadows We Walk through the Land of the Dead] is most likely going to take your breath away. In line with its precursors, this album features epic compositions of pure Viking Folk Metal. Where the album differs is mostly in the mood. This time around the atmosphere is darker, more insidiously poignant, and overall heavier - as in more oppressive - than it has ever been. The gloomier tone of the album doesn't strip away much of the trademark Moonsorrow spirit though. In doing so, it remains true to the core while still offering something previously uncharted by the band; namely a nice little trip to the blackened death territories.

The concept of journeying is well proposed with interlude tracks of a character walking and suffering through some kind of a snowy hell. Folk elements are incorporated as usual. All the vocals remain in their native tongue. But what render the album brilliant are again the huge melodies, grand building atmospheres and the fact that those songs seem to take a life of their own long after the music stops. Haunting chants add a disturbing vibe at the right moment. Crushing guitar riffs seem to sprout from the abyss whenever you least expect it. Without going into too many details, you need to be aware that the killer track is no doubt "Huuto" with its recurring folk theme and a vocal intensity rarely showcased by Ville Sorvali. As with any of their albums, greatness can be detected at first listen but genius takes several intense listens to unearth.

There is no denying the brilliance of this band. The term musical genius doesn't make them justice. It seems they cannot put a foot wrong whatever they set to accomplish. Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa is a darker album still full of nuances and brilliance; another grower record for the world to cherish. Moonsorrow continue to pave the way for Viking Folk lovers with a penchant for Black Metal influences and truly they sent a real message to the competition. This latest blackened opus is sure to shape the musical landscape of 2011 and beyond.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 25.03.2011 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Guest review by
Svneatr
Rating:
This album is dense. Really dense. So dense, in fact, you could cut the sound waves with a knife. Or a Viking axe, whatever you'd prefer.

Read more ››
published 27.09.2012 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 32   Visited by: 715 users
25.03.2011 - 09:08
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Great record, no doubt. For me is their best release so far.
25.03.2011 - 10:14
Mikyz
It's their weakest release imo, after listening to this, the only thing I looked forward to was Huuto, this might be what the fans are looking for but not as good as I wanted it to be, even after several listens. Overall it's solid, but they did much better before.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
25.03.2011 - 11:18
Luneth
Account deleted
This album is absolutely breathtaking, equal to Kivenkantaja...possibly greater? Either way, it's one amazing release.
25.03.2011 - 11:28
Mindheist
No Longer Human
I wouldn't say it's their weakest release, but it's definitely not their strongest either. I have listened to all of Moonsorrow's records, none of them has ever let me down. But this one, it seems like they have taken a step backward, because clearly, except for Huuto, the remaining songs didn't quite meet the expectations of the fans, or at least mine. I'd give it a 7.9 instead, but again it's a matter of taste.
25.03.2011 - 12:07
Epic .... Epic ... Epic .. Epic .
25.03.2011 - 13:06
midland_don
Finland's premier band??!!! I think you'll find that is Rotten Sound...
25.03.2011 - 16:56
Rating: 10
Enissa
Definitely an awesome album...especially the journey concept...
25.03.2011 - 17:35
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Ehh, if it's like their other releases I'm gonna stary away. I think your review is more interesting than the average Moonsorrow album
25.03.2011 - 21:31
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Written by midland_don on 25.03.2011 at 13:06

I think it's Nightwish
25.03.2011 - 22:23
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Shit how did i miss this one? wallet prepare for invasion
26.03.2011 - 05:16
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Guest on 25.03.2011 at 21:31

I think it's Nightwish

Probably, I'd say that too. And only because the whole symph metal thing is, to a certain degree, more popular than whole "epic pagan metal" genre.
Both are badass though
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
26.03.2011 - 16:44
DarkSwan
These guys just don't know how to do a bad or even mediocre album
26.03.2011 - 17:37
Rating: 7
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Moonsorrow is a great band indeed, but they've been playing the exact same thing ever since Verisäkeet... I do like what I'm listening too, but 5-6 for originality seems more appropriate.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
26.03.2011 - 17:44
Rating: 7
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys

Yes, an obscure grindcore band (with 25 fans on MS) is probably Finland's #1 band...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
26.03.2011 - 20:17
Windrider
Raureif
Kuolleiden Maa is the best track imo...
26.03.2011 - 22:36
Berfones

I think it's Nightwish

I think it's Darkwoods My Betrothed, being the band where Nightwish founders met...
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
27.03.2011 - 12:48
Both Bears
Well its quite boring compared to previous albums
27.03.2011 - 12:54
IronAngel
Written by Berfones on 26.03.2011 at 22:36

I think it's Nightwish

I think it's Darkwoods My Betrothed, being the band where Nightwish founders met...

Seriously? If you ever come to Finland, I'll sell you their first two albums for a beer. Bought them second hand for 1? apiece, I barely listened to them once.

I've yet to hear this new Moonsorrow. Not sure if I'm excited or not. I kinda lost interest years ago, but they're still a solid band. It might be a good listen.
27.03.2011 - 21:10
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted

I think it's Nightwish

I'd say Nightwish or Ensiferum. Holopainen is the best songwriter though.
27.03.2011 - 21:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 27.03.2011 at 21:10

I think it's Nightwish

No WINTERSUN?!

Nah, seriously; I'd say their most popular metal band is Nightwish, with - not in any ranking order - Amorphis, Moonsorrow, and Ensiferum not far behind.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.03.2011 - 21:48
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.03.2011 at 21:26

Written by Guest on 27.03.2011 at 21:10

I think it's Nightwish

No WINTERSUN?!

Nah, seriously; I'd say their most popular metal band is Nightwish, with - not in any ranking order - Amorphis, Moonsorrow, and Ensiferum not far behind.

We totally forgot about CoB. I'm cool with that But yeah, Nightwish is easily the most popular Finnish band, "Amaranth" alone has over 40 million views on Youtube.
27.03.2011 - 21:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 27.03.2011 at 21:48

We totally forgot about CoB.

Forgetting and ignoring are two different things.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.03.2011 - 22:27
Iceland_Norway
This Album is really strange. we can't compare it with the other works by Moonsorrow.
the best songs are for sure Huuto and Kuolleiden Maa for the epicity of the theme of the songs. And the little intro near the end of the tracklist is beautiful sign of the depression of the man's wallking on the snow.
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
28.03.2011 - 02:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

I think it's Nightwish

+2 for nightwish
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.03.2011 - 02:48
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.03.2011 at 21:52

Written by Guest on 27.03.2011 at 21:48

We totally forgot about CoB.

Forgetting and ignoring are two different things.

DAMN straight!!!!!!!!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.03.2011 - 05:57
Rating: 6
enumaelis
Written by Boxcar Willy on 28.03.2011 at 02:46

I think it's Nightwish

+2 for nightwish

+3 for nightwish, though I think I found first Tarot (but the one I found that I really liked from that country was Amorphis with "Tales from the Thousand Lakes", even that I didnt know they were from Finland till years later XDD)
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
28.03.2011 - 23:23
Rating: 9
Uller
I think that this album is awesome, in deed darker than other moonsorrow work, and different.
If you focus in just one song, then maybe just Huuto is the memorable one, but the greatness of this work is the whole album, when all the songs combined they fit to make a fantastic experience, an epic journey, the progression of every song fits whit the progression of the story told, with an epic prelude for every part of the story.

I would say to those who didn't like it, that give this album another chance and listen to it from start to end, the whole 1hour long album, like if you were reading a book, don't read the chapters independently, read the complete book.

That's just my opinion
----
30.03.2011 - 00:12
Rating: 9
Veertje
Written by Uller on 28.03.2011 at 23:23

I think that this album is awesome, in deed darker than other moonsorrow work, and different.
If you focus in just one song, then maybe just Huuto is the memorable one, but the greatness of this work is the whole album, when all the songs combined they fit to make a fantastic experience, an epic journey, the progression of every song fits whit the progression of the story told, with an epic prelude for every part of the story.

I would say to those who didn't like it, that give this album another chance and listen to it from start to end, the whole 1hour long album, like if you were reading a book, don't read the chapters independently, read the complete book.

That's just my opinion

True story. The songs apart aren't that amazing, although Huuto does stand out, but the album as a whole is pure earcandy.
30.03.2011 - 02:09
Arlei
Account deleted
This album is too strong, a great work.
04.04.2011 - 14:47
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Killer album - some tracks I think are among the best stuff they have done.

Hits total: 14638 | This month: 15