Metal Storm logo
Beginners Sympho/Goth/Soft Power metal

Original post

Posted by , 25.03.2011 - 22:32
Quite simple, I'm looking to get into some of the less extreme styles of metal. So basically, what would be the ideal bands for begining my journey into softer metal? Thanks in advance for all those who help.
04.04.2011 - 05:06
MetalSpider

Written by Yasmine on 04.04.2011 at 04:47

Written by MetalSpider on 04.04.2011 at 02:16

Not much to add to this large list...

Manticora, Jag Panzer, Adagio, Kamelot, Dragonland...as already mentioned...are awesome. Definitely can't go wrong with Symphony X!!! or Epica for that matter.

Persuader (a bit like Manticora), Pyramaze, Rebellion, Masterplan...all great bands. These cover more of the power metal side.

Nevermore and Communic as mentioned are the heavier side of power metal. More progressive and even some thrash.

Wuthering Heights is a great folk influenced power metal band. Falconer is also damn good metal with non-metal vocals (he's an amazing singer, but definitely not a metal singer).

We like the exact same PM!

lol! wow we really do! Nice
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
04.04.2011 - 05:08
Yasmine

Written by MetalSpider on 04.04.2011 at 05:06

Manticora, Jag Panzer, Adagio, Kamelot, Dragonland...as already mentioned...are awesome. Definitely can't go wrong with Symphony X!!! or Epica for that matter.

Persuader (a bit like Manticora), Pyramaze, Rebellion, Masterplan...all great bands. These cover more of the power metal side.

Nevermore and Communic as mentioned are the heavier side of power metal. More progressive and even some thrash.

Wuthering Heights is a great folk influenced power metal band. Falconer is also damn good metal with non-metal vocals (he's an amazing singer, but definitely not a metal singer).

Yep add Tad Morose and Crimson Glory to the list and that's my playlist for any given day. lol
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
04.04.2011 - 05:12
MetalSpider

Written by Yasmine on 04.04.2011 at 05:08

Yep add Tad Morose and Crimson Glory to the list and that's my playlist for any given day. lol

lol...well now, those are two bands Ive never really listened to though. Ive heard of them though (i'll check them out). And I haven't really listened to power metal in a while, except for Jag Panzers latest album.

But still!!!!!!!!
----

04.04.2011 - 05:14
Yasmine

Written by MetalSpider on 04.04.2011 at 05:12

lol...well now, those are two bands Ive never really listened to though. Ive heard of them though (i'll check them out). And I haven't really listened to power metal in a while, except for Jag Panzers latest album.

But still!!!!!!!!

I really liked the new album a lot! Was very very happy to hear from them again!
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
04.04.2011 - 05:17
MetalSpider

Written by Yasmine on 04.04.2011 at 05:14

Written by MetalSpider on 04.04.2011 at 05:12

But still!!!!!!!!

I really liked the new album a lot! Was very very happy to hear from them again!

Yeah me too! I thought it wouldn't be so good without the mighty Chris Broderick, but its still very good. Casting the Stones is still my favourite album by them though.
----

04.04.2011 - 05:27
Yasmine

I like the new one and Thane to the Throne the best!
----
04.04.2011 - 05:47
Wyrd

Has anyone said Dream Evil yet?
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
04.04.2011 - 05:50
Yasmine

LOL!
----
04.04.2011 - 05:55
MetalSpider

Written by Yasmine on 04.04.2011 at 05:27

I like the new one and Thane to the Throne the best!

Thane to the Throne has some great songs no doubt.
----

04.04.2011 - 19:37
Zenzero
Zenzero
Anyone who knows Ancient Bard??
04.04.2011 - 19:51
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I would recommend some Savatage (if you don't know them already)

Tad Morose, already mentioned, really deserves some attention, it's a great power/prog band indeed.

the three Masterplan albums with Jorn Lande are highly recommended as well.
04.04.2011 - 22:45
Uldreth

Somone said on the last page but I wish to reemphasize Dark Moor, especially Hall of the Olden Dreams. They use a female vocalist but she has a very strong and unique voice, as well as seems to be one of those bands that can do the stereotypical symphonic power metal without sounding cheesy.
07.04.2011 - 22:51
Counterparts

Some advertisement will follow, heads down I would have made an own topic but the rules of 100 post... So maybe this fits in here. Anyway here´s the press release:

MERGING FLARE: "Reverence" out 11.5.2011

The finest piece of Finnish melodic heavy metal in ages!
Disentertainment will release "Reverence", the debut album of the Finnish
band Merging Flare. The album will hit the stores on May 11th 2011. Before
this the group has released one split single and two demos. Merging
Flare has also performed some highlighted gigs in Finland playing at
festivals with such acts as Blaze Bayley, Enforcer, Nightingale
and Seventh Wonder.

The music of Merging Flare represents the highest level of
musicianship packed in a melodic heavy metal style that combines
influences from bands like Accept, Judas Priest and Helloween with
massive Queen-esque choirs and spices from the 80′s game music genre.

"Reverence" will also feature a special guest appereance by Kai Hansen
(Gamma Ray, ex- Helloween), the German power metal godfather, on four
tracks of the album.

"Reverence" was recorded and mixed at Content Union Studio by Eero
Kaukomies and mastered at Unisound Studio by the beast himself, legendary Dan Swanö.

The band promises that the production on this album is crisp and a vital
nod to the old school, summoning the spirit of 80′s metal back to
life.

The album consists of 11 songs:

1. At Daggers Drawn
2. Faker
3. Carved in Stone
4. Terrordome
5. In the Line of Fire
6. Steel Redeemer
7. Pride and Bravery
8. Killing Ground
9. Under the Fire
10. Star Odyssey
11. Sign of the Crimson Storm (Riot Cover)

Members of the band have previously shared their talent for example in
the following bands: Amberian Dawn, Heavy Metal Perse, Domination
Black, Elenium and also in different tribute bands (Judas Priest,
Gamma Ray, Running Wild). Kasperi Heikkinen, the lead guitar player of
Merging Flare, has also played several shows with Gamma Ray,
substituting Henjo Richter.

The first appetizers have been published in MySpace and
at the website of the record label. Reverence can now be
preordered at Levykauppa Äx.

http://www.myspace.com/mergingflare
http://www.disentertainment.com/
http://www.recordshopx.com/artist/merging_flare/