Disc II [limited edition bonus]
01. Deathaura [orchestral version]
02. The Last Amazing Grays [orchestral version]
03. Flag In The Ground [orchestral version]
04. Juliet [orchestral version]
05. As If The World Wasn't Ending [orchestral version]
06. The Truth Is Out There [orchestral version]
07. In The Dark [orchestral version]

The Days of Grays is an album that was eagerly anticipated by the public, mostly due to the fact that some reviewers, who got to listen to it beforehand, labeled it as an album halfway between Unia and Reckoning Night. But I'd disagree with that-it's between the two albums only in terms of complexity. Musically, it's again a whole new Sonata Arctica. Don't worry though, the elements that make the very soul of the band are still more or less present and I shall discuss them below.

The thing that always separated them from the power metal crowd (or, as peeps here like to call it, the Euro Flower Metal scene) are their lyrics - mostly tragic stories of people who failed in some aspects of their lives. They are either in shape of stories or simply tell us of the state the protagonist is in. On this album, there are both types. The main songwriter, Tony Kakko, is known for his understanding of human psychology and precisely portraying feelings of anger, sadness, despair and confusion. This time, he went further on into the subject, writing about disappointment, alienation and inadequacy. Also, this is, in a way, an album based upon a loose concept - almost every song has something to do with dying, aging, and the understanding of the world that comes as we mature.

The band's trademark is also good performances by the members, especially in solos. The "new" style requires fewer solo-spots than the "old" style (and indeed, if you want to see some technicality, you have to go to one of their shows nowadays), but there is still plenty of opportunity to shine. I'll mention two of those - Elias Viljanen has a simple, beautiful solo-piece in "Breathing" and Henrik Klingenberg gives a stunning performance in the blues-drenched track "As If The World Wasn't Ending." Also, Kakko's singing is more perfect than ever, most notably in the bonus track "In The Dark."

Some people complain that this album is not winterish and cold like their previous ones, but I think those people haven't truly felt a lot of winters in their lives. It shows us the true face of it - dark, relentless and with little hope.

Speaking of the brand new elements, you can safely say that this is an album of firsts. In terms of lyrics, for the first time there is a song with a happy ending ("Flag In The Ground") and a song in which you can see a glimpse of Kakko's personal world ("Breathing"). This is the first album with Elias Viljanen, and also the first time they've brought a guest vocalist - that is, if you don't count some ten seconds Timo Kotipelto sang in "False News Travel Fast" on Silence. Finnish pop singer Johanna Kurkela graced two tracks with her lovely voice - "No Dream Can Heal A Broken Heart" and "Deathaura." Speaking of "Deathaura," it's a bombastic and symphonic piece which is almost too over the top, but the Sonata-boys have tuned it down enough to avoid what I had dreaded. Everyone's favorite tracks are "Juliet," which ends the Caleb-saga in the most majestic and stylish way possible, and the instant classic "The Last Amazing Grays."

Every song on the album deserves to be mentioned, but I'll just say that the rest of the tracks share the same atmosphere, and the message they get across is that we're all doomed. And it's only logical that an album about death and decay of body and spirit has that gray and bleak atmosphere.

Like 90% of the albums made, it has a certain number of flaws. The orchestral CD is nothing special, as it just takes out guitars and drums and adds a bunch of orchestral stuff which don't do the songs justice. The play-time is really long, which is perfect for Sonata-fans, but bad for a guy who just wants to see what it's about, so you have to be patient with this one. The order of the tracks could've been done differently, as the most varied tracks are in the first half of the album. And, lastly, the production pretty much drowns the drums and bass.

For the fans who stayed away from Unia, this might be easier to get into. For someone who likes both styles, there won't be a problem with the third one either. And for people who have always stayed away from this band-give it a spin; who knows, you might be surprised.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Milena | 29.03.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
The last five years have been testing ones for Sonata Arctica having run the wave of hype and enthusiasm raised by the first couple of albums dry. Critics have had a blast with the band in recent years, with none more victimised than the band's last output Unia. A couple of years ago Sonata Arctica looked like a shadow of its former self, but right now with the release of album number six, The Days Of Grays has shone a ray of light.

Read more ››
published 17.09.2009 | Comments (95)

Comments

Comments: 6   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 128 users
29.03.2011 - 10:49
Rating: 9
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Irritable Ted on 29.03.2011 at 10:05

Good review.

This album would have been a true return if there were one or two more fast tracks. Brilliant compared to Unia, but a bit slow compared to Silence and Ecliptica.

Well, that could have easily been resolved by a different track schedule, 'cos two of the bonus tracks are also fast tracks - "Nothing more" is a classic speedy one written by Henkka, and "In my eyes you're a giant" which is another wolf song
----
7.0 means the album is good
29.03.2011 - 13:02
Rating: 8
farfaramir

This album is contradictory. It had some of the finnest efforts in Sonata's story, while some of the most boring songs. It should have had like... 9-10 songs and it would have been perfect (or at least very good).
29.03.2011 - 13:10
Luneth
Account deleted
So this album and Unia, according to you, are on the same level? Not to mention this being almost comparable to Ecliptica/Silence/WinterHeart's Guild in score?
29.03.2011 - 13:46
Irinel

Your rating is lame !
29.03.2011 - 19:28
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Tony is known for his deep understanding of psychology? Ive read alot of psych text books and never has his name came up. I dont know if I would go as far as the above statement, but you meant perhaps that his ability to convey emotion through his lyrics is what he is known for.
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
29.03.2011 - 23:53
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 29.03.2011 at 13:10

So this album and Unia, according to you, are on the same level? Not to mention this being almost comparable to Ecliptica/Silence/WinterHeart's Guild in score?

It can't be compared, really, it's all different styles. But I feel that ratings are something personal, and in my soul all of their albums share the same place, they've brought me a lot of knowledge and emotion over the years. I'm perfectly aware of every flaw, and that every album is different, but I can't help myself feeling like this

Written by farfaramir on 29.03.2011 at 13:02

This album is contradictory. It had some of the finnest efforts in Sonata's story, while some of the most boring songs. It should have had like... 9-10 songs and it would have been perfect (or at least very good).

Yeah, I don't really like long albums either. With Sonata it's perfect for me, because a couple of days their new album is out, I already can't wait for the next one but really, when I listen to bands I'm not familiar with or fan of, I like short albums.

Written by Irinel on 29.03.2011 at 13:46

Your rating is lame !

My rating is an opinion, and your thought about it is also an opinion

Written by Chainer on 29.03.2011 at 19:28

Tony is known for his deep understanding of psychology? Ive read alot of psych text books and never has his name came up. I dont know if I would go as far as the above statement, but you meant perhaps that his ability to convey emotion through his lyrics is what he is known for.

Don't take it literally dude yeah, your second sentence is what I meant. In songs, he speaks of stories that are quite plausible and portrays it like no one I've ever heard of. I'm rather fascinated by Sonata lyrics, and I don't get fascinated by written text that easy, as I have read a lot in my short life
----
7.0 means the album is good

Hits total: 6437 | This month: 9