02. Hollow Reflection
03. Transcendence
04. Black Carbon Snow
05. Quicksilver Clouds
06. Hyperion
07. The Destroying Angel
08. Halo Of Flies
09. Ophelia

We live in a world today where the boundaries of metal music have expanded so much (along with the number of metal bands!) that there are far more bands to listen to than to ever make it possible to hear them all. Yes, this gives variety to our world of metal, but at the same time it causes many innovative and talented bands to slip by unnoticed by the majority. This is unfortunately the case with our Finnish friends Throes of Dawn, and particularly with their fifth release, "Quicksilver Clouds." Why is this so unfortunate? Well... I believe in short and bold statements, so I'll be blunt: "Quicksilver Clouds" is hands down among the top albums of 2004. "But Italics, 2004? C'mon... Wintersun, Angra, Ayreon..." Yes. Let me explain...

By the time you're through with "Vertigo," the opening track (and subsequent "single") of this monstrosity of an album, you know that you're not listening to your daddy's Throes of Dawn. On "Quicksilver Clouds," the Finns have taken their sound into a new direction - namely more atmosphere and more clean vocals. This is especially noticeable on songs such as "Hollow Reflection," "Transcendence," and "Ophelia." In all honesty, "Vertigo" as an opening song gives the listener a fairly poor idea as to what to expect for the rest of the album, due to its slower tempo and lower pitched screams. However, we are hit next by "Hollow Reflection." I can guarantee that you will never hear a song containing such an atmospheric and thrilling opening 60 seconds. The song displays a bit of the "electronica" feel which is present throughout the album, and adds tremendously to the atmosphere. I have heard many bands claiming to make "atmospheric" music over the years, but many fail to put you into another world the way songs like "Hollow Reflection" do.

The truly amazing thing about "Quicksilver Clouds" is how it can be so soothing and melodic while still staying "extreme." The screams of Henri Koivula are flawless and used in perfect portions, never becoming monotonous or "too much" as some bands' screams become over time. You never get a slow, melodic track followed by a fast and aggressive one; each song contains a bit of both worlds. Songs such as "The Destroying Angel" change styles and tempo so many times that the music begins to be borderline progressive in nature. There is not one song on "Quicksilver Clouds" that can be judged by its introduction alone. This keeps the listener constantly taken off guard, and adds to the "other worldly" affect of the music. You think Dream Theater takes your mind on a journey? Try laying in bed, turning out all of the lights, and blasting THIS album in the darkness! You will see what I mean.

It is honestly difficult for me to put this album into words. This is one of those "you must hear it to believe it" scenarios. Words cannot replace music. All I can do is suggest that if you are a fan of atmospheric, death, extreme, or any type of metal, that you give this album a listen from start to finish. You will come to the conclusion that this is one of the most underrated releases of the decade. Skeptical? "I guarantee it" might not be convincing enough... so let's say we make it interesting and put some money on it?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by Italics | 18.05.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 68 users
31.03.2011 - 10:56
Rating: 6
Milena
gloom cookie
Hmmm, accepted your challenge, but didn't feel a lot of things perhaps I should listen to it one more time. I don't like the electronica thing.
----
7.0 means the album is good
05.04.2011 - 02:57
Helmikana

Point taken. Phenomenal album and very nice review too.
22.10.2012 - 21:56
Rating: 10
Italics

Written by Helmikana on 05.04.2011 at 02:57

Point taken. Phenomenal album and very nice review too.

I wrote this review so long ago... almost forgot about it.

I'm glad I could convert at least one person to the genius of this album!
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One

Hits total: 5483 | This month: 6