Metal Storm logo
Angelic Power Force Redemption - Everyday Is A Bad Hair Day For Satan Because We're Here! review

Reviewer:

10 users:
Band: Angelic Power Force Redemption
Album: Everyday Is A Bad Hair Day For Satan Because We're Here!
Release date: March 2011

Disc I
01. Genesis
02. Begats
03. There Is No Fear In Love But Perfect Love Drives Out Fear Because Fear Has To Do With Punishment
04. Away In A Manger We Kicked The Devil's Butt
Disc II
#

Put away any thoughts you had about Christian Metal and get ready to have the Hell beaten out of you...literally!

Hailing from the Megachurch, Tribuo Nos Vestri Viaticus, comes Angelic Power Force Redemption. A 247 member (a use the term member and not person as you will see later why) financially backed by their congregation of 140,000 who play some of the most amazing music ever recorded. Not wanting ignore or ostracize any genre of Metal, APFR play what could be best described as Epic Progressive Symphonic Thrash. A feat I can assure is not easy to accomplish.

This idea was born from the heart of Eric Pinewood, a 23 year old youth ministry intern, who wanted to create a band out of his youth group. When he pitched the idea, thinking that maybe one or two would be interested, all 152 said they wanted to do it. So every Wednesday after watching Veggie Tales, eating home made oatmeal cookies and reading their weekly devotionals from Pat Robertson they turned their recreational room into a band practice space for several hours. After the first three months it became apparent to Eric that most of the kids did not know how to play guitars, or bass, or drums. Instead of pulling a Jack Black and teaching them all how to rock he let them each bring in and play what ever instrument they were comfortable with.

Soon their band was comprised of 25 vocalists, 12 electric guitar players, 16 acoustic guitar players, 5 electric bass players, 2 acoustic bass players, 5 drummers, 22 flute players, 18 oboe players, 10 violin players, 3 cornet players, 7 trumpet player, 1 tuba player, 2 French horn players, 9 clarinet players and 1 glockenspiel. Several of the students felt really left out since they couldn't sing or play an instrument and the decision was made to allow them to do interpretive dance on stage during the show. This too proved to be an issue for two students who couldn't dance do to physical aliments. Being a man of love, Eric asked these two what they would like to do and thus was born the worlds first Heavy Metal finger painting duo!

As word of this new band spread the interest grew too. By the end of their first six months the band had really come together and was playing shows every other weekend to small but energetic crowds. APFR now had a new task: showmanship. Needing to bring the Word of God to people but to also look tough the band began to wear angel wings and army fatigues. The costumes soon led to some disputes amongst the members as many of the boys did not want to dress up like girls. It was then decided that the boys could dress like shepherds. Now with the angles and shepherds satisfied it looked more like a massive Christmas pageant and the only logical solution was to now bring in three wise men and some animals.

Local Christian Hip Hop act Luv 4 JC joined to fill the role of the three rapping magi. All that was left was the animals and that prayer was answered when a member of the congregation donated 39 cattle, 23 sheep, 15 donkeys, 14 goats and one old hound dog. The band was now complete.

So enough with the history of Angelic Power Force Redemption and onto their first album, Everyday is a Bad Hair Day for Satan Because We're Here! The first thing you will notice is that "Everyday" is the sort of album that makes The Human Equation look like Dookie. The opening song "Genesis" is a half hour psychedelic trip through the opening of the Book of Genesis where God creates pretty much everything. The full use of the band's talents really shine here as each of them play together with such tightness you would have thought they'd been together for year as well as each being given a short ten second solo part. A truly moving and thought provoking opening that at times reminds me of something by Philip Glass or Brian Eno.

The band then moves to the bone crushing realm with songs like "Begats" where the combination of Thrash and Hip Hop would make 24-7 Spyz cry. Try and image slick rapping of "Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naasson; and Naasson begat Salmon; And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed" layered over 80's style soaring male vocals and backed by an all female quartet. And follow that up with the NWOBHM inspired "There Is No Fear In Love But Perfect Love Drives Out Fear Because Fear Has To Do With Punishment" and we're just about done with the first disk. Closing it out is probably the weakest track of them all "Away In A Manger We Kicked The Devils Butt" do in part to the over use of the animal's singing. Sure a cow's moo arpeggios is interesting but is it good? Not really. And while the image of a bunch of angles, shepherds, magi and animals all rocking out to the birth of Baby Jesus might look cool on stage, but for an album doesn't work.

The second disk begins with all the members of the band praying at different times to create hurricane off spiritual noise that kicks off the epic hour long untitled track. Over the course of the 58 minutes we experience everything from symphonies to break downs, uplifting ambiance to bleak creep out. While there is not really any "singing" in the normal sense, there is plenty of glossolalia. The combination of these factors mixes for the first time well with the animal sounds as it adds in a very natural and earthy tone. This piece is something that no matter how hard I try to explain in words will never be done justice. You'll just have to experience it for yourself.

Angelic Power Force Redemption's Everyday is a Bad Hair Day for Satan Because We're Here! is hands down one of the most ambitious albums ever recorded. Fans of all different genre's are sure to find elements here that really apply to them. APFR might not ever reach the full world wide recognition they deserve right now but twenty years from now we will be looking back at this record as not only the greatest Christian Metal album ever but one of the five greatest album ever recorded by a Metal band.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 10

Written on 01.04.2011 by Dane hails from Asheville, NC which is Beer City, USA. When he is not drinking various craft and micro brews, Dane fronts the Stoner Doom Metal band, The Quick. He also has a massive collection of Hellboy comic books.

Staff review by
!J.O.O.E.!
Rating:
Here are we again. I had to do this in response to the useless, inobjective review our resident panderer gave this band, Angelic Power Force Redemption, which is another example in the long line of crappy bands that get a ridiculous amount of praise from the diaper-wearing idiot reviewers of this hypocrite site who think they're all so goddamn Gallant in giving out huge scores to rubbish modern bands.

Read more ››
published 01.04.2011 | Comments (19)

Comments

Comments: 35   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 563 users
01.04.2011 - 01:02
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
With a name like that, I can see this band becoming the biggest commercial failure of all time. Still might check them out though.
01.04.2011 - 01:13
fazzeh

You guys are early on the April Fools participation
01.04.2011 - 01:14
Czerny Reiter

Can anyone hear "April's Fools"?
01.04.2011 - 01:16
Thrashette

Hahahaha I was about to add this to my list of music to check out and then I remembered the date XD
01.04.2011 - 01:19
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Worst April Fool, ..
nothing beats when Metal Storm was turning into kvlt tr00 black metal only website, this is my best MS april fool;D
01.04.2011 - 01:21
Fat & Sassy!

Best part about this album... When you open up the booklet sleeve, you find God.
01.04.2011 - 01:28
Omnicosm

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 01.04.2011 at 01:21

Best part about this album... When you open up the booklet sleeve, you find God.

^ Winning.
----
Cheers.
01.04.2011 - 01:45
Nacur

The fact that these guys stole my an idea I had some years ago....and this is april's fools...makes me a little bit sad...xD
01.04.2011 - 02:19
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
I almost took it seriously, then I remembered this is a Metal website.
01.04.2011 - 02:30
Elodie Artour
Slania
Srly, guys?
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
01.04.2011 - 03:12
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Guest on 01.04.2011 at 02:19

I almost took it seriously, then I remembered this is a Metal website.

Same here... plus the day it is. lol

Nice one guys
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
01.04.2011 - 04:51
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
You know what?... I kind of wish this was real.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
01.04.2011 - 05:04
Aluminum Alloy

"Tribuo Nos Vestri Viaticus"

-very nice
(needed google translate for help on it though)
----
Here at the edge of this world
Here I gaze at a pantheon of oak, a citadel of stone
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God...
Then God is not dead
01.04.2011 - 05:10
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
i hear if you play it backwards on vinyl it has the subliminal message, "Hey, silly you're playing our record the wrong way!"
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.04.2011 - 05:23
Yojimbo

I was about to spew negativity, then I saw someone mention April Fool's Day.
01.04.2011 - 05:46
DjentDude

Lol'd heartily.
01.04.2011 - 06:18
Winterthrone

As soon as I saw the pic I lol'd!
01.04.2011 - 06:26
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 01.04.2011 at 04:51

You know what?... I kind of wish this was real.

I agree. Kinda shameful, but whatever
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
01.04.2011 - 06:33
Karwyn

LMFAO!!
01.04.2011 - 07:12
Lawre

I want this NOW!!!!!
01.04.2011 - 08:18
bluegreengod
Account deleted
Yeehaw...now every pedaphile metalhead out there has a raging hard-on. I think I'm gonna pass on this one. Amen.
01.04.2011 - 09:26
Aetherius

Lmao
01.04.2011 - 09:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Crap! Why does every April's Fool I read something from start to finish believing everything said, and then some asshole brings me back to Earth with his "You guys are early on the April Fools participation???"

(no offense fazzeh).

CRAP! I was ready to believe this!!! AAA!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
01.04.2011 - 10:23
Øyvind
Grave Digger
There's not enough of them, not epic enough
----
01.04.2011 - 10:40
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
So I checked this band out and guess what? They're good. Oh my GOD, they're good. I was seriously biased against them, because of their silly name, but I was mistaken. Opeth, you have been dethroned. New greatest band ever!
01.04.2011 - 11:18
Acolyt#1

I was told the band (all of the members) died in a tragic dutch ball incident. They will for most of us stay a misterious but cultish band that carved the feelings of our generation on one mighty glorious E.P

R.I.P little angels.
01.04.2011 - 11:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 01.04.2011 at 01:21

This comment is full of win
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.04.2011 - 12:01
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I am gonna buy it too!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
01.04.2011 - 14:15
Timmeh
Dudeman
OH god! I can't even look at that artwork without pissing my pants in laughter.
01.04.2011 - 14:42
Kenos
Account deleted
Bset la,bum ofg 2027

Hits total: 7954 | This month: 9