07. In The Mind Of The Last Whale
08. Silence This Parasite
09. A Fading Stance
10. When The Joyful Dead Are Dancing
11. Until Yet A Few More Deaths Do Us Part

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The Montreal-based asylum known as Unexpect broke a 5-year silence after with their new opus Fables From The Sleepless Empire. And the least I can say is that it is a demanding listen. Absolutely insane actually! This is the toughest review I had to write seeing that there is more music to be found on the opening track than on most albums. If any musical label can be applied to these guys, only extreme avant-garde metal would do them somewhat justice. And this is just a snooty way to say I have no clue.

Read more ››
published 12.11.2011 | Comments (16)

Guest review by
chaosscizzors
Rating:
It seems like more often than not whenever the band Unexpect is brought up or I share a song from the band that I always seem to get a lot of the same responses; "It's too random and disjointed" or, since we're on the internet, a blatant "THAT WAS SHIT". For quite a while now I haven't been able to wrap my head around why Unexpect would be seen so negatively by metalheads. I remember one person saying something to the effect of "metal written by insane asylum patients" and my immediate thought is "well that sounds pretty damn metal."

Read more ››
published 14.02.2013 | Comments (4)

Shit got crazy, and I got scared.

Fat & Sassy!'s picks | More picks ››

Found in 35 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 76   Visited by: 905 users
06.06.2011 - 16:25
Rating: 10
HateSpark

I heard this album is self-released by the band , cause they had problems with the label ... guess they need our support
07.06.2011 - 01:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I remember thinking that Flesh whatsit record being pretty overhyped but it seems I need to listen to this one.
07.06.2011 - 01:35
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Written by Unhealer on 04.06.2011 at 18:40

I love this kind of records

First listen: Mind f**k, then with every listen you start to understand the structure of the songs, discovering new things, like passages that seemed ridicolous before etc.

The musicianship is great, and the use of the vocals is remarkable!

This could be easily on the top albums of the year.

Exactly what I'm thinking.
07.06.2011 - 08:22
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Guest on 07.06.2011 at 01:29

I remember thinking that Flesh whatsit record being pretty overhyped but it seems I need to listen to this one.

I don't think In A Flash Aquarium was overhyped in any way... But Unexpact do seem to have a solid fanbase here on MS
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
07.06.2011 - 16:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This certainly isn't bad by any stretch but once again the hype did not overcome my personal taste; just isn't my thing.
07.06.2011 - 17:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 07.06.2011 at 16:48

This certainly isn't bad by any stretch but once again the hype did not overcome my personal taste; just isn't my thing.

nah.. I fail to see any hype on this band at all. I admit there's a fine line between a solid fanbase and a bunch of fanboys who make a huge hype over an album (cofcofwintersuncofcof) but I don't see that on Unexpect.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.06.2011 - 17:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.06.2011 at 17:26

Written by Guest on 07.06.2011 at 16:48

nah.. I fail to see any hype on this band at all. I admit there's a fine line between a solid fanbase and a bunch of fanboys who make a huge hype over an album (cofcofwintersuncofcof) but I don't see that on Unexpect.

I simply mean hype as in nothing but positive reviews and praise. Not hype as in overrated hype.
07.06.2011 - 17:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 07.06.2011 at 17:42

I simply mean hype as in nothing but positive reviews and praise. Not hype as in overrated hype.

Aye, I can agree on that... I'm going to listen to it for the first time now.. Let's see if the hype catch me as well
...So far the first track is awesome. That woman is sexy.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.06.2011 - 18:34
Rating: 8
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.06.2011 at 17:48

Written by Guest on 07.06.2011 at 17:42

Aye, I can agree on that... I'm going to listen to it for the first time now.. Let's see if the hype catch me as well
...So far the first track is awesome. That woman is sexy.

It's a bit hyped, not as much as Blackjazz, but I don't see this one really crossing over into the "majority accepts as great" land. It is a project to listen to, I can't have it in the background otherwise it all just zooms on by.

And I think I may be in love with Leïlindel...
07.06.2011 - 21:23
neonxaos

I have had these guys confused with Unearth for years. And I sure don't like Unearth one bit. I see now that I have really been missing out!
07.06.2011 - 22:01
Fat & Sassy!

That woman is sexy.

I found her vocals a little tedious on their previous album, but not this one. I dunno why though. May be because of the better mixing/production.
07.06.2011 - 22:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 07.06.2011 at 22:01

That woman is sexy.

I found her vocals a little tedious on their previous album, but not this one. I dunno why though. May be because of the better mixing/production.

I found her vocals equally brilliant on both albums... But I agree, the production and mixing is better on this one which says a lot because I found the production on the other one very good as well.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.06.2011 - 18:30
The Benighted

How in blazes can this be falling off the year-end list already? Definitely some intense downvoting. Fantastic album, probably one of the best this year.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
08.06.2011 - 20:39
Paradox Lover
Account deleted
Oh man this is the shit, fucking turning me on! Messing up my brain, just love it! <3 Esp. Words is quite ass kicking song. The way they mix up different genres and well let's sum it up with AVANT GARDE, just amazing :O:D
09.06.2011 - 20:23
Zap
Brilliant, I'll be picking this one up quite soon... Oh and fuck all the people that just listen to five seconds and give 1s or 2s, just so their favorite albums can keep the high spots, grow up...
09.06.2011 - 20:31
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by Zap on 09.06.2011 at 20:23

Brilliant, I'll be picking this one up quite soon... Oh and fuck all the people that just listen to five seconds and give 1s or 2s, just so their favorite albums can keep the high spots, grow up...

Listening for 5 seconds? Your giving them far too much credit.
22.06.2011 - 14:00
Kenos
Account deleted
God I can't stand this band...
22.06.2011 - 14:05
JD
Account deleted
Well... i also didn't like this album.
23.06.2011 - 03:11
Rating: 9
imspazzen

I found this to be a lot less demanding of the listener than there past albums. I felt like I could just sit back and listen without having to concentrate on what's going on the whole time
23.06.2011 - 12:17
HateSpark

^ that doesn't apply to all the songs , for example Mechanical Phoenix or When The Joyful Dead ... are really mind blowing imo
24.06.2011 - 18:22
Being and Time

Written by imspazzen on 23.06.2011 at 03:11

I found this to be a lot less demanding of the listener than there past albums. I felt like I could just sit back and listen without having to concentrate on what's going on the whole time

Great point. While it is still a divisive sort of sound (a little too indulgent for some people), it is far more accessible and interesting than their previous effort. It's still a hodge-podge of everything under the sun when you first listen to it, but eventually it does become clearer after multiple listens imo.
01.07.2011 - 22:11
Rating: 7
dougver1

Woah man.... I've never listened to Unexpect before this album, but holy hell, was this a treat. Insane and progressive, obviously very technical, but it's still just so much fun to listen to.
02.07.2011 - 02:16
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
.....wow. Usually I'll post my feelings on an album within the first two listens but this...... a whole wopping month before I felt I could at least become familiar with the album, and I've yet to gain a sense of my own confidence in actually remembering anything. I actually found this to be one of the most demanding albums I've listened to, with my first listen going so over my head I almost lost interest, but I knew I would over time gain an appreciation of the album, there was just too much going on for me to just give up with my arms in the air. Its hard for me to say whether or not this is better than "Flesh Aquarium" considering that just might be my favorite album. I think what impresses me more is the almost completely different approach to the last album this is. At first it doesn't seem as wacky but when you consider that every 10-30 seconds is probably something you've never really heard used much in music is an impressive feat in that. Seriously I could probably go on a absoluteness epic and massive review on why I'm growing to love this album more and more.
05.07.2011 - 20:49
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Paradox0 on 02.07.2011 at 02:16

Seriously I could probably go on a absoluteness epic and massive review on why I'm growing to love this album more and more.

In which case, I await your review.
06.07.2011 - 01:19
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by Guest on 05.07.2011 at 20:49

Seriously I could probably go on a absoluteness epic and massive review on why I'm growing to love this album more and more.

Yeah its been awile since I've written one, but when I say absolutely epic I mean far beyond the word limits of MS reviews. I feel like just about every song deserves at least its own paragraph. 'm still a little curious how we haven't gotten a review yet from the staff.
06.07.2011 - 01:22
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Paradox0 on 06.07.2011 at 01:19

Written by Guest on 05.07.2011 at 20:49

Yeah its been awile since I've written one, but when I say absolutely epic I mean far beyond the word limits of MS reviews. I feel like just about every song deserves at least its own paragraph. 'm still a little curious how we haven't gotten a review yet from the staff.

You may have to trim down your word limit, but by the looks of it, your review's going to pretty much how I feel about the album. Go for it, regardless. Staff review or guest review, it is in dire need of a positive review.
29.08.2011 - 12:39
Kenos
Account deleted
I'm probably one of the few morons who really aren't able to appreciate this band.
At first I didn't want to listen to this album because I hated their debut "In A Flesh Aquarium", so knowing exactly what to expect from them (despite their name..) another album would have been a waste of time. Then a friend of mine and some other people told me that this new fantastic album is way better than its predecessor because it's more coherent and something like that, suggesting me to give this band another chance.

Well, guess what... I've managed to listen to the first half, and stopped there. Same chaotic mess, same crushing headache at the end of each song. There are some good moments here and there, but they're totally drowned in this sea of annoying nonsense... Unexpect probably represents everything I hate about "avantgarde metal".
01.09.2011 - 01:01
Being and Time

Written by Guest on 29.08.2011 at 12:39

I'm probably one of the few morons who really aren't able to appreciate this band.
At first I didn't want to listen to this album because I hated their debut "In A Flesh Aquarium", so knowing exactly what to expect from them (despite their name..) another album would have been a waste of time. Then a friend of mine and some other people told me that this new fantastic album is way better than its predecessor because it's more coherent and something like that, suggesting me to give this band another chance.

Well, guess what... I've managed to listen to the first half, and stopped there. Same chaotic mess, same crushing headache at the end of each song. There are some good moments here and there, but they're totally drowned in this sea of annoying nonsense... Unexpect probably represents everything I hate about "avantgarde metal".

Fair enough. They are really self-indulgent, and like you, I didn't particularly enjoy "In a Flesh Aquarium." I must say that if you give the album a month, things will hopefully settle and you might be able to appreciate some of the songs on the album. I don't think anyone could really follow this album from a couple of listens-- you need LOTS of time in order to comprehend what they're doing here. They're doing some good things that I haven't seen in avant-garde metal yet. But yeah, this album isn't for everyone.
23.09.2011 - 08:11
tuerda

Unexpect continue to take the idea of "avant garde" and push it further than anyone else. This album feels less experimental than the previous one though: Its like after the stage of trying stuff out to see what happens, they are now at the stage of putting it together and making a mature(?) piece of music out of it. It is still total chaos, though. I found this record very satisfying.
17.10.2011 - 22:12
PocketMetal

Album of the year . without a doubt.

Hits total: 22473 | This month: 20