Metal Storm logo
Moonsorrow

Original post

Posted by Talvi, 17.05.2006 - 23:49
Well, I just had to do this. My favorite band HAS to have their own topic. Because, well, Moonsorrow is THE BAND. Iron Maiden are the godfathers. Dream Theater are the perfect musicians. But the spirit, the magic, the VIKINGS... Moonsorrow are my, for me, the GODS (sorry if some peoplie didn't like this 'adjective')

It's just that the melodies they have chill my full body... I love every one of their albums, but Voimasta Ja Kunniasta is my favorite album, ever. Unohduksen Lapsi, my favorite song of theirs.

Their style is just unique. All their songs (or most of them) are epics, from 6 to 13 minutes (14-19 for Verikansaa), which very repetitive riffs and very keyboard driven melodies. No other band has played or plays like them, which makes them a very original and unique band. It's useless loving a band when 50 other bands play the same, and maybe better. Not with them.

And well, just comment what you think of this band, which will release a new album later this year. I hope it will be the best album of 2006 (with competition like Blind Guardian and Iron Maiden).

Hail the vikings!
02.06.2008 - 21:38
Kaamos
Account deleted
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 24.02.2008 at 10:17

on verisakeet do the beginnings of like the last 3 songs all have that funny, strange *boing boing* noise?? or is it just my copy?

It's an ancient instrument called Jew's harp.
12.08.2008 - 18:45
Baz Anderson
Staff
Does anyone have any burning questions for Ville Sorvali? I will have time to interview him at Bloodstock on Saturday - so if anyone has any good questions, quote me here or send me a PM, or both. Thanks
12.08.2008 - 19:06
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Baz Anderson on 12.08.2008 at 18:45

Does anyone have any burning questions for Ville Sorvali? I will have time to interview him at Bloodstock on Saturday - so if anyone has any good questions, quote me here or send me a PM, or both. Thanks

When do you plan new full-length studio album?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

12.08.2008 - 19:30
Southern Wind
Account deleted

What the fuck happened to that beard, Ville?
12.08.2008 - 20:09
Janne
Hugin

Please ask them to come to Hungary!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
12.08.2008 - 23:04
superDBZman
Account deleted

Ask him his top ten albums of all time
13.08.2008 - 15:55
Elio
Red Nightmare

please ask him if moonsorrow will continue their evolution making more long songs and possibly a one-song album...if so, ask them to return to "normal" 6-8 minute songs lol
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
13.08.2008 - 16:56
Judas
The Amputator

Can you ask him who does their cover art? It's damn awesome.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
14.08.2008 - 23:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Judas on 13.08.2008 at 16:56

Can you ask him who does their cover art? It's damn awesome.

I know that Kris Verwimp did one or two covers. At least he did the Tulimysky ep.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.08.2008 - 21:00
Elio
Red Nightmare

Ehi Baz when will you publish the interview?
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
25.08.2008 - 21:29
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Elio on 25.08.2008 at 21:00

Heh, well I have bad news really.
The interview went really really well - but Soilwork were playing in the background and so on the recording the voices are muffled by all the background noise. It is bad. I can't tell what is being said...
So unless there are any masters of sounds out there, looks like this interview will unfortunately be wasted. Which is a big shame.
25.08.2008 - 21:38
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Baz Anderson on 25.08.2008 at 21:29

The interview went really really well - but Soilwork were playing in the background and so on the recording the voices are muffled by all the background noise. It is bad. I can't tell what is being said...
So unless there are any masters of sounds out there, looks like this interview will unfortunately be wasted. Which is a big shame.

NOOOO!! But, in case it will be wasted...there's anything you remember?even if it's not the complete interview...just something.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
25.08.2008 - 22:00
VPeter
One of the best Finnish Epic Folk/Viking Metal bands. Still the only downside maybe the Finnish language it self I find it some time unfit with the music itself, especially the more clean vocals.
25.08.2008 - 23:21
Janne
Hugin
Written by VPeter on 25.08.2008 at 22:00

One of the best Finnish Epic Folk/Viking Metal bands. Still the only downside maybe the Finnish language it self I find it some time unfit with the music itself, especially the more clean vocals.

I must completly disagree with you. Finnish language is perfectly fits with their folk metal!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
25.08.2008 - 23:32
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Janne on 25.08.2008 at 23:21

Written by VPeter on 25.08.2008 at 22:00

I must completly disagree with you. Finnish language is perfectly fits with their folk metal!

Yeah, especially in songs where they sing as drunk Vikings!
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
25.08.2008 - 23:38
Janne
Hugin
yep, and spoken parts are also great in Finnish!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
26.08.2008 - 02:06
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Elio on 25.08.2008 at 21:38

NOOOO!! But, in case it will be wasted...there's anything you remember?even if it's not the complete interview...just something.

Haha, well once I have the Wacken and Bloodstock reviews on and I don't have to stress about so many things in general I will have a proper look at the recording and see if I can hear anything that will jog my memory as to what was said and I will see how much I can salvage from it. We'll just have to see.
I asked many interesting things.. I won't say anything yet though in case anything can be salvaged and then I will put it all out together.
26.08.2008 - 15:36
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Baz Anderson on 26.08.2008 at 02:06

Written by Elio on 25.08.2008 at 21:38

Haha, well once I have the Wacken and Bloodstock reviews on and I don't have to stress about so many things in general I will have a proper look at the recording and see if I can hear anything that will jog my memory as to what was said and I will see how much I can salvage from it. We'll just have to see.
I asked many interesting things.. I won't say anything yet though in case anything can be salvaged and then I will put it all out together.

Ok, thanks for the effort.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
27.08.2008 - 18:10
MetalSpider
Written by Baz Anderson on 25.08.2008 at 21:29

Im not a master of sound just yet ...but I am a sound engineer. I might be able clear it up a little bit.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
29.08.2008 - 17:27
Janne
Hugin
That album is very hard to listen to because the lenght of the songs... I like Kivenkantaja more.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
29.08.2008 - 20:23
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Janne on 29.08.2008 at 17:27

That album is very hard to listen to because the lenght of the songs... I like Kivenkantaja more.

Agree. Kivenkantaja and Voimasta ja Kunniasta are to me better. Even though are all amazing.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
19.10.2008 - 12:30
Elio
Red Nightmare
Happy Birthday fatty Henri, we love you!
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
13.12.2008 - 19:39
FeskarN
I have been listening to Voimasta Ja Kunniasta, my first Moonsorrow experience. Really like it but I don't like the finnish language too much with the harsh vocals. But any way great athmosphere in this music. Witch album could I listen after this one? Kivenkantaja?
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
16.12.2008 - 12:58
Hrothdane
Which album would be a good album to introduce someone to the band?
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
20.12.2008 - 17:59
Janne
Hugin
Hey, all the albums are amazing! I like Verisakeet the most right now but it can be because I haven't listened to it too much before.
Suden Uni, Voimasta and Kivenkantaja are masterpieces. And I think there isn't too much difference in sounding between the albums.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.12.2008 - 10:01
Sandarameth
Account deleted
I think that their version of For Whom the Bell Tolls is better than Metallicas..don't you think so?? after listening Moonsorrow i decided to creat pagan metal band..i have only one album-Tämä Ikuinen Talvi..but it's enough to say that they are great band
26.12.2008 - 18:09
Sandarameth
Account deleted
Written by Blood Red Moon on 26.12.2008 at 08:05

Written by Guest on 23.12.2008 at 10:01

I think that their version of For Whom the Bell Tolls is better than Metallicas..don't you think so?? after listening Moonsorrow i decided to creat pagan metal band..i have only one album-Tämä Ikuinen Talvi..but it's enough to say that they are great band

I really don't care for Metallica, and I really love Moonsorrow, but I think the cover was terrible. They could have found a much better song to cover, unless they are just trying to boost their fan base a little bit before their US tour in 2009. You should definitely get Verisäkeet or Suden Uni, they are the best albums of all time.

MOONSORROW FINALLY IS COMING TO THE UNITED STATES!

ok..i'll find them..and write my comment about them here..takk)
30.12.2008 - 18:25
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 30.12.2008 at 17:10

Written by Guest on 28.12.2008 at 06:18

And when Moonsorrow recorded it, Henri was drunk as fukk cause he drank a whole bottle of rum that's why his voice sounds the way it does on For Whom The Bell Tolls. How do I know this, cause I was talking to Mitja Harvilahti just before actually

I am so shocked, was talking to Mitja again just before and I mentioned how much money I have spent on Moonsorrow's products (a fukking lot) and he was so surprised that he offered to send me a copy of Verisäkeet signed by all 5 band memebers. Man I can't believe it the band I love the most and I get a signed copy of my favourite album of thiers now that just made my new year's perfect

Fuck you! lucky man...
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.05.2009 - 19:34
Elio
Red Nightmare
Anything new about this awesome band?
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
01.06.2009 - 11:02
Uller
This band is by far my favorite band. My favorite album is Verisäkeet, its a masterpiece
----