02. Aleister Crowley Memorial Boogie
03. Cum On Feel The Noize [Slade cover]
04. Standing In The Rain
05. Robin Hood [Single version]
06. Two Out Of Seven [Single version]

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
German superstars Edguy return with album nine much in the same vein as the last three albums. It is common knowledge now that since 2006's Rocket Ride these Teutonic terrors have opted for a path of lukewarm heavy metal, while Tobi's dirty power metal urges have been kept locked away safely with Avantasia.

Although three years apart in the real world, Age Of The Joker and Tinnitus Sanctus in Edguy's universe aren't too different from each other. The German jesters are quite content sitting on their current format of slightly catchy, melodic heavy metal songs. The album has some great moments, "Nobody's Hero" is somewhat catchy, the folky last portion of "Rock Of Cashel" is pretty awesome, and "The Arcane Guild" offers a glimpse of power metal too.

Read more ››
published 06.10.2011 | Comments (18)

Found in 16 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 63   Visited by: 734 users
07.04.2011 - 19:35
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
And... commence trash talking in... 3...2...1...
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
07.04.2011 - 21:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Well, I'm not gonna bash them, even if "Hellfire Club" was their last consistently great album. (imo) The last 2 albums have had some good moments, but also were pretty patchy. Still, Im looking forward to this, as Tobi is a great songwriter, and I'd imagine the new album will at least have some good stuff on it.
07.04.2011 - 22:57
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Written by Irritable Ted on 07.04.2011 at 21:09

Written by Holy Man on 07.04.2011 at 19:35

And... commence trash talking in... 3...2...1...

Still waiting for the first sellout comment.....oh was that one, sorry.

hahaha, good, I'm glad somebody was on top of that, haha.
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
08.04.2011 - 00:35
Rating: 8
Jujitsu-man
Ready to ROCK
All the information about upcoming Tobias Sammet's new material is exciting for me. I can't wait to listen for it!
11.04.2011 - 23:58
Rating: 8
Crème fraiche

Written by Angelic Storm on 07.04.2011 at 21:58

Well, I'm not gonna bash them, even if "Hellfire Club" was their last consistently great album. (imo) The last 2 albums have had some good moments, but also were pretty patchy. Still, Im looking forward to this, as Tobi is a great songwriter, and I'd imagine the new album will at least have some good stuff on it.

I agree. I've been giving Rocket Ride and Tinnitus Sanctus more spins, and they've both been growing on me more. I definitely think Hellfire Club was their last album that straight up kicked ass. I'm sure the new one will have some decent stuff in it
05.05.2011 - 18:03
FrozenJoy

I just hope they come up with something different than RR or TS... I just can't stand those albums, and I'm not saying they are bad... But comparing them to anything from their demos (hell, I'd prefer another dirty-sounding demo with something like Children of Steel!) to Hellfire Club, they just fall TOO short...
Please, Tobi, don't FUCK it up! Edguy has always been one of my favourite all time bands... Bring back your genious power metal...
06.05.2011 - 18:22
MetalKid

Edguy if u read this Please Listen to Your Fans.Go back to Hellfire Club and mandrake Please We loved you guys when you did the metal not classic rock.Keep it Banging HeadBangers!
12.05.2011 - 05:15
Rating: 7
iMorphball

Whatever Tobi writes will be fantastic I'm sure. Sure, his last few albums weren't as much metal as many people want, but that doesn't change the fact that the music was good nonetheless.

I love Rocket Ride more than Tinnitus Sanctus, more because TS felt more like Rocket Ride trying to stoop into more metal-y stuff; it didn't work. I've heard this album is gonna be more anthemic and symphonic than the last two, and less bluesy than TS. There was also a comment about more double bass drumming.

I'm all in for that.
12.05.2011 - 21:54
RavenKing

Written by Irritable Ted on 08.05.2011 at 18:39

Written by MetalKid on 06.05.2011 at 18:22

Edguy if u read this Please Listen to Your Fans.Go back to Hellfire Club and mandrake Please We loved you guys when you did the metal not classic rock.Keep it Banging HeadBangers!

After the last two Edguy albums and the last three Avantasia albums, you've got no chance. Sorry.

+1
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
18.05.2011 - 21:12
FrozenJoy

Written by iMorphball on 12.05.2011 at 05:15

Whatever Tobi writes will be fantastic I'm sure. Sure, his last few albums weren't as much metal as many people want, but that doesn't change the fact that the music was good nonetheless.

I love Rocket Ride more than Tinnitus Sanctus, more because TS felt more like Rocket Ride trying to stoop into more metal-y stuff; it didn't work. I've heard this album is gonna be more anthemic and symphonic than the last two, and less bluesy than TS. There was also a comment about more double bass drumming.

I'm all in for that.

I just hope, for Edguy's sake, that you're FUCKIN right... I miss double bass in their songs...
06.06.2011 - 00:13
DreamNightmare

Artwork is now up on edguy.net (You'll have to join the Hellfire Club to access it, don't worry it's free) looks like Hellfire Club artwork with a Jester in the middle... that makes the third album with a plain background and an image in the middle. I love most Edguy/Tobias songs so i'll probably be pleased, from the artwork i'd say this will sound like a mix of Mandrake, Hellfire & Tinnitus - but we shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.
06.06.2011 - 03:21
Rating: 3
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Wouldn't mind a bit more 'Mandrake'.. Heres hoping.
20.06.2011 - 20:22
Mountain King
K i K o
This looks good till now. The art promises some funny/epic Heavy/Power Metal like Mandrake & Hellfire Club which is amazing. The title of the tracks are also interesting. But I'm afraid Tobi's voice isn't as good and high as it used to be on Mandrake or Theater Of Salvation, so im hoping the songs will make up for that...
25.06.2011 - 03:55
iMorphball

Written by Mountain King on 20.06.2011 at 20:22

This looks good till now. The art promises some funny/epic Heavy/Power Metal like Mandrake & Hellfire Club which is amazing. The title of the tracks are also interesting. But I'm afraid Tobi's voice isn't as good and high as it used to be on Mandrake or Theater Of Salvation, so im hoping the songs will make up for that...

Well yeah, I'm sure it's difficult to sing as high as he did on Theatre of Salvation. Granted, he was in his early 20's when he did that record. haha

Though, if you check on his latest Avantasia releases, he's got some fantastic vocal performances on that. Prime example is "States of Matter" from The WIcked Symphony. Haven't heard him sing like that in a LONG time.

Anyway, I'm SO excited for this new record. New Edguy makes me think back to the time when I first started taking "interest" in music. They were the first band I ever "discovered" and looked into.
25.06.2011 - 05:15
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by iMorphball on 12.05.2011 at 05:15

I'm all in for that.

I agree. The last 2 Avantasia albums were great, even though there was more hard rock on those albums than metal. Same kinda thing (though to a lesser extent) with "Rocket Ride". I thought TS was disappointing, with only 3 or 4 good tracks on it. Although "The Pride Of Creation" was a great song in their classic style. xD

I really hope the new album will be more their power metal style, because he has Avantasia which he can use as an outlet for his (albeit great) hard rock style. Not that Im saying there shouldnt be any rock anymore in the Edguy style, but the faster, anthemic and symphonic sound should be their primary style again. Like it was back in the times before and until "Hellfire Club". Im definitely looking forward to hearing this anyways!
25.06.2011 - 06:03
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by iMorphball on 25.06.2011 at 03:55

Written by Mountain King on 20.06.2011 at 20:22

Well yeah, I'm sure it's difficult to sing as high as he did on Theatre of Salvation. Granted, he was in his early 20's when he did that record. haha

Though, if you check on his latest Avantasia releases, he's got some fantastic vocal performances on that. Prime example is "States of Matter" from The WIcked Symphony. Haven't heard him sing like that in a LONG time.

Anyway, I'm SO excited for this new record. New Edguy makes me think back to the time when I first started taking "interest" in music. They were the first band I ever "discovered" and looked into.

I liked him on "Stargazers" and "Your Love Is Evil" but still not the old Edguy or Avantasia. But he still got it...
25.06.2011 - 12:06
Rating: 6
Kalmari

The Scarecrow and Tinnitus Sanctus were way below Sammet's songwriting level, but The Wicked Symphony / Angel Of Babylon were great albums and give me a hint that this could be the best Edguy album since Hellfire Club
25.06.2011 - 16:21
iMorphball

Written by Kalmari on 25.06.2011 at 12:06

The Scarecrow and Tinnitus Sanctus were way below Sammet's songwriting level, but The Wicked Symphony / Angel Of Babylon were great albums and give me a hint that this could be the best Edguy album since Hellfire Club

I completely agree; I think Tobi was just experimenting more with those two albums. I think now he's more comfortable with what he truly wants to write. No doubt we can expect an amazing album!
26.06.2011 - 15:19
nash88
Account deleted
By the way, the joker face on the new artwork seems to be Tobi, covering his face with some effects in photoshop or it is just my opinion, but at least he looks like the face on the artwork however, can't wait for the album, indeed Mandrake, Hellfire and Tinnitus mixing in one album would be the perfect sound for the new one. Some of the fans throw shit on the new Edguy, but going on with the same style forever only shows that the band has no interest of trying with different sounds, which actually would be a perfect match for the new albums. Tobi proved with his side project Avantasia, once again, that real heavy metal can come and go through his materials whenever he wants, so the ''fans" who keep on saying that Edguy hasn't done metal since Hellfire club, have no idea about the great rock/metal sound!!!
26.06.2011 - 17:39
Pinaroberto

Edguy is one of my favorite bands. I just know this new album is gonna be epic! But I gotta say I wouldn't mind a return to Mandrake and Hellfire Club times. I'm not criticizing most recent albums, they were great too IMO, but I have great expectations for Age Of The Joker.
28.06.2011 - 02:11
Folkbill

Bad artwork bad songs (in case of edguy)
----
--Non So Bill.
29.06.2011 - 11:04
Mandrake88
Account deleted
Written by Folkbill on 28.06.2011 at 02:11

Bad artwork bad songs (in case of edguy)

bad taste - no clue of music !
29.07.2011 - 21:46
RavenKing

Written by Irritable Ted on 29.07.2011 at 21:28

Have heard most of the album. It is a huge disappointment. For those wanting a return to the early stuff, sorry its the same old hard rock stuff. Edguy are dead to power metal now.

I think we all knew it would not be Powermetal. To me, it is obvious Sammet has abandoned this style already long ago.
Imo, it is unrealistic to hope for a return to the early stuff.

Anyway I mentioned many times here and on other forums that it is futile to expect great PM albums from old PM bands. They're all slowly turning more or less to hard rock and standard Heavy Metal.
----
29.07.2011 - 23:50
RavenKing

Written by Irritable Ted on 29.07.2011 at 22:04

Pathfinder's album was excellent, but I haven't heard anything else mind blowing for a while.

I'm really not into Powermetal at all nowadays but I heard Pathfinder and, though it is not my kind of music, it is decent, imo.
And it is REAL Powermetal, something rare nowadays.
----
01.08.2011 - 11:11
JÄY
Metal slave
Samples didnt sound good....i think theyll hit us with a good comeback someday.....but not today
02.08.2011 - 15:07
Mandrake88
Account deleted
I can't figure out why people keep on ruining edguy to the dirt..... OK, fine, it's not REAL POWER METAL...... well, guess..... this band is not a power metal band anymore, so instead of expecting power metal songs try to catch the quality of the album as it is. I believe when a ''real-heavy-metal-guy" hears anything apart from his "real-heavy-metal", he just think it's ridiculous, lame, or "huge disappointment".... so guess what are you guys doing right now??? You just can't move on with this, can you??? Edguy were power metal once upon a time, believe me, i adore they previous metal albums, but i also listen to their newer stuff, 'cause it's still awesome..... They decided to start another style, and the fans throwing shit on the band because it is not power metal........ Edguy is a hard rock band, i can say, and NO JAYXSNOOGANS...... THEY WILL NOT HIT US WITH A GOOD POWER METAL COMEBACK SOMEDAY, because they are stick to another direction which will not change......and guess what.... if you guys want real, power, dark metal, then you better go back pick your black clothes, 2kg wight metal necklaces and bracelets, iron boots, whatever, and go to hammerfall, manowar and iced earth concerts..... and for god's sake, accept edguy as a great hard rock band with excellent qualities.
02.08.2011 - 15:10
Yavanna

I like the new Edguy albums, even if they are not power metal anymore, I mean, their "hard rock songs" are pretty good
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
06.08.2011 - 19:41
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by RavenKing on 29.07.2011 at 21:46

Have heard most of the album. It is a huge disappointment. For those wanting a return to the early stuff, sorry its the same old hard rock stuff. Edguy are dead to power metal now.

I think we all knew it would not be Powermetal. To me, it is obvious Sammet has abandoned this style already long ago.

Anyway I mentioned many times here and on other forums that it is futile to expect great PM albums from old PM bands. They're all slowly turning more or less to hard rock and standard Heavy Metal.

7 Sinners
07.08.2011 - 05:34
RavenKing

Written by Mountain King on 06.08.2011 at 19:41

Written by RavenKing on 29.07.2011 at 21:46

7 Sinners

From what I've heard of it, no thanks.
----
08.08.2011 - 01:53
iMorphball

OMG NO POWER METALLLLL RAHHHHH WE WANT MORE DRAGONS AND WIZARDS AND DEMONS.

No but really, I love Rocket Ride, not so much Tinnitus, but regardless. The samples sound great, I know I'll love the album.

I can see why people wouldn't like it, though.

Hits total: 23911 | This month: 20