04. Since The First Smile
05. Tears Of Grief
06. Moonlight Girl
07. Judith Heavenwood
08. Weeping Heart
09. Frithiof's Saga
10. Lament
11. Frozen Images [remix version] [Japanese bonus]

For a long time I've wanted to review this album and now taking the chance that Heavenwood is back in force I come here to present you Diva, the first album of the first Portuguese band to play at Wacken.

Back in 1995 Heavenwood was known as Disgorged and played death metal. They changed their name and music style after the tragic suicide of their bassist (Rui Santos, still remembered by those who knew him, may you rest in peace). And then Diva was born, an album in which every single song was made with their hearts, combining a full dose of inspiration, creativity with natural talent. Diva is melodic and strong, the guitar riffs are amazingly very well balanced between catchy and technical, perfectly tuned with the keyboards. The drums are always well placed, the lyrics are still one of the best that I've read. If you fall in love with the music the lyrics will take you even higher.

The album starts with the gem "Frozen Images" where Ricardo on clean vocals lead the song almost to make an entrance to the gutturals of Ernesto that are so heavy and deep that can make you a chill in the hottest day of the year. The passage from "Frozen Images" to "Emotional Wound" is delightful and makes way for the continuation of the story. In every song you will find outstanding guitar riffs and powerful melodies all together with flawless drums, and in "Tears Of Grief" an extraordinary combination of Ricardo's and Ernesto's vocals.

My desire is to review every single song of this album because all of them are special but that will be too extensive and in the way it could lose some objectivity so I'll leave the rest for you to discover, just know that there are absolutely no bad songs in this work.

Diva is dramatic, melancholic and beautiful. A timeless piece of Art.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by Morphis | 11.04.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 167 users
11.04.2011 - 20:03
Rating: 9
Permafrost

I can only, totally agree.
11.04.2011 - 21:49
MechanisT
Account deleted
I discovered Heavenwood with the latest album. I've heard this one as well. In my opinion, though, the newer material is heads and shoulders above Diva. It's a very good album, no doubt, but I can't agree with the rating. Agreed, though, more or less, about the overall description.
12.04.2011 - 10:12
Rating: 7
Jeeers

Slightly overrated in this review.
If you are from Portugal and have followed bands first steps from the beginning, it's understandable, that it is impossible to be truly objective in this case. Too many dear memories, ehh?

Anyway the last two albums are WAY better.
12.04.2011 - 20:45
Rating: 10
demonseed

I've seen Diva release show at Sinatr'a bar in Porto and since then is one of my favourite albums. I'm from the same city and wherever I went I always saw Heavenwood guys, one of my best friends was in the same class with Ernesto. So I guess you're kinda right, great memories regarding this record.
The feeling of Diva is amazing and in that matter the last albums are no match to it.
----
A Servant in Heaven A King in Hell
14.04.2011 - 13:22
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Ohh god this album is great, a pleasant surprise
25.05.2012 - 23:02
omjaimes
omjaimes
I knew heavewood for their last album, but this one is truly amazing, 1996 are you kidding me? it sounds very advanced for the 90's, they are precursos of the sounds of today, like Paradise Lost or Tiamat. What a beautiful music; well balanced, catchy (in a good view), perfect ensemble. I'm simply stoned or, can somebody else perceive the same things?
28.01.2016 - 23:05
Rating: 10
RPG

One of the best albuns i've ever eared. I just got to know this band more recently and every album is just amazing.
At first i felt this review a little too emotional but now i understand what you mean and is spot on.

Hits total: 6458 | This month: 8